Meon Valley Plod 2012

It's in the Meon Valley, and it's a bit of a plod. Well it certainly is up the last hill, along with several others.

One of the highlights for me last year was the Pink Ladies who could be heard for several miles both before and after them.

What was your highlight?

Comments

• Love this race but haven't done it for a couple of years. Heard today that it doesn't go up Butser anymore.

Is there anyone coming down from London with room in their car for  a small one? Happy to pay petrol. 

• Hi Helly d,

can't help with the lift but can say I've seen the route and this does still go up Butser Hill, so you and your quads wont be disappointed! image

• hi , Helly D

please let me have your details and i'll try find you a lift from one of the london entrants

rgds

alan ( race director)     /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif[/img]lod@pjc.org.uk]plod@pjc.org.uk

• just to clarify ..       acceptance of your online entry via Runners World is a gaurantee of a place.

numbers and final info will be posted  Friday 3rd Feb

folow the event on twitter  @meonvalleyplod

Yes it still goes UP  Butser Hill    and a few other places as well    image

• Just entered this too - looks "fun"! LOL
  • Hi Helly. Long time.  I'm coming from Balham if you want a lift.
  • HF TCP, how are you doing?  For some reason I thought you'd moved away. Lift  would be great although it is looking a bit nippy out there.
  • I did move but only about 2 miles across Clapham Common.  Where do you want picking up from?  I was aiming to leave around 8.

And the cold is fine.  It will freeze the mud.

• its not really  nippy.  thats just the Air Con i ordered to keep you all from overheating during the event image  

can your teeth manage frozen cake and jelly babies ?

• Hi folks. Anyone have a link to a map of the route for this year please?
  • i have  not put the course map on the website as we cant have runners  over the private land other than race day .  if anyone wants a copy  email  /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif[/img]lod@pjc.org]plod@pjc.org  and i'll send one.

• TCP - anywhere near a tube station, both Victoria and Northern lines appear to be running. Still got the plastic car?image
  • At least the plastic car doesn't rust.  Clapham South just after 8?
  • Anyone got a guess to the total vertical for the course ?

I dont normally do anything over a half-m (21km) but have been doing fell-race type training (eg box hill @ 505m in 11.5km) so could be up for the challenge if the vertical is in that range.

• 20.95 miles     909m  of ascent 

pure pleasure  ...............................

• TCP wrote (see)
    At least the plastic car doesn't rust.  Clapham South just after 8?
    Okey doke - large bag, small female as usual. Thanks.
  • No probs Helly.
  • just entered, hope i manage to do it in 5 hours.

• I haven't run for three weeks due to my ribs being crushed in a tackle. Fantastic tackle it was, I would love to have seen it from a distance. Being involved in it though wasn't so great!

Meaning for me tomorrow, it will be a Plod. Ribs are still sore so I have a better excuse than normal for walking up some of the hills.....

See you tomorrow folks, it'll be a Fun Run.

• The weather today has been glorious image Lets hope for more of the same tomorrow.

I have not done this for a couple of years so I am looking forward to a nice day out with all of you, have fun and enjoy the hills and mud (maybe)!

• Looks like it will be a tad warmer and cloudy tomorrow. Good luck to everyone running this event.
  • Blimey that was tough. But what fun. Snow, ice, mud, hills, barbed wire and electric fences! Cresting Butser towards the end and then hammering down the other side was great. Final slog through the last section of mud less so! Thanks Alan, brilliant event, will be back next year.
  • Boy, I knew I wasn' t ready. And did I find out how much. It was good fun though wasn't it. See you next year, hopefully injury free!
  • What a brill race my hat of to Alan and the team, very well done. the course was  well maked, so well in fact that I have broke the curse of getting lost doing a trail races asI did not put a foot wrong.

Thank you so much image

Not quite so much mud this year but stil lots of hills image

• thanks for all your kind comments,   Always a pleasure to organise something for such a great bunch of runners.  The marshalsand helpers all commented how nice you were.

any comments positive or negative for our washup meeting  to /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.giflod@pjc.org.uk]mailto/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif  

we were pleased with the new venue and will be booking it again soon for next year.

hope your aches will soon go and enjoy your running.  

looking for another challenge ?   join a few of us Sat 14th Apil through the Brecons in South Wales  " Black Mountain Roundabout"  25m   6800' Ascent.  awesome scenery and  a great day out brilliantly organised by the Newport Outdoor Group. details here 

• one day i'll get the hang of this

any comments positive or negative for our washup meeting  to  /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif[/img]lod@pjc.org.uk]here

• pictures available here courtesy of Alan Dunk
  • My first MVP and well did I pay for it today!!! Had a fab time and marshalls were encouraging and the cake that I heard about was lovely.
    Cant explain the feeling reaching top of Butser knowing I was on my way for a first 21 miler in preparation for a marathon. A great race loved it,will I be back hmmm let me see when the pain goes :0) Seriously its a must fab views and fab day out

• Great race, great support from the marshals. thank you for standing in the cold so we could all have a great day running. the final hill up the north side of Butser Hill known as Grandfathers Bottom was a killer to already tired legs with the covering of ice not really helping. But the cake and sweets at the top help recharge them for the final 3 miles back into Clanfield. For my first long distance race it was a great event. Roll on next year..