Trail Marathon Wales 2012

Comments

• MelbowMelbow ✭✭✭
    hi,fenland Runner, the face book info says that alot of the routes get closed off-season to allow paths to re-cultivate. they do say as soon as they get out and choose final route it will be on the website . It sounds like its going to be superb
  • Hi All

Yes a few trails with detours at the moment because of felling and a few bits muddier than normal because of it - all part of the fun though

Melbow - i'm sure i read somewhere that the bike trails will still be open and we'll be on bit's of them and crissscrossing them all the time so you should be able to meet your OH somewhere

Well i managed the full volcano route last sunday and once i can get my stoopid garmin to upload i'll try to paste the elevation chart thingy onto here - it was a great run, steep in places and a real challange but really enjoyed. Not sure what it's going to be like if part of route though image,

Thanks for the offer tigerunner but Mr C is under strict instruction that if i'm still out and they seem to be closing the finish to grab me one or else!

No adventures for me this weekend as suffering from a bad cold since wednesday but think it's starting to clear now so back on track next week hopefully

have a great weekend everyone

• Garmin has uploaded finally but can't copy the littel picture - looks like it was about 1180 ft at the highest point.

Cold much better but have lost my voice so just a walk today but used it to explore abit of the forest i's never been in went high enough for the rain to become snow - will be a nice run

• MelbowMelbow ✭✭✭

hi,

Chrissi Im glad you are picking up. It must be lovely to be able to run/walk up in the forests. It gives us a good idea what to expect, thanks.

We've been out in the Peak district and was surprised how much snow was still on the ground. It was warm in the sunshine(bitterly cold in the shade).Perfect day to be out. Trying not to think about the mad school rush in the morning,

Tigerrunner, that was a really kind offer, and yep Jaffa cakes are yours

Happy running

• I'm in; quite excited about this one!  It'll be interesting to see the route and the elevation when they release it.  I've done a couple of other trail marathons (3 Forts Marathon and Greensands Marathon) down here in the South of England- I wonder if this will be hillier- just becuase it's in Snowdonia doesn't mean that it will be...
  • John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭
    Gutted no longer able to do the full marathon - hopefully I'll be able to do the half if I'm allowed to transfer
  • That's a real shame JB. I'm sure they will let you transfer.
  • Only just noticed this thread and only just realised that there is a cut off time of 4.5 hours for 20 miles!! Reckon I'll need either a miracle or a bomb under me (or both!) to get through in that time ..... better start upping my training and finding a few hills to run over image

Great to see some familiar "faces" from Snod thread on here image
  • ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Hi All

JB read somewhere that you can swap you have to e-mail them i think

SD i'll be luckey to make cut off with a bomb and miracle image

No clues about route yet from those in the know but won't be long know untill the offical route out i guess

• Hi all

Regarding the 4.30 cut off, we will not be draconian on this image) but you can hopefully realise that we have a huge logistical operation and have lots of marshalls and people out on the route for a long day, so we needed to give a guideline. Essentially this was to make clear to potential participants who might turn up and walk the whole event in 8-9 hours that this was a trail running event for runners. Does that make sense?

After lots of routing and re routing (I have virtually lived in CyB this last month!) we are nearly there on what we hope will be an amazing trail route for all.

Thanks for your patience

Matt (Organiser)
  • JB Gutted for you mate hope all is ok.

SD Hi image 

• Matt - thanks for the reassurance and totally understand your reasoning! Would hope (from previous off-road marathons) to get round in around 5 to 5.5 hours, depending on how things are on the day! Really looking forward to this event image
  • ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭
    Hi Matt - yes thanks for that
  • John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭

Cheers Matt and TR.

Unfortunately a family commitment has cropped up, which, without divorce proceedings ensuing, means there is no way I'd be able to do the marathon and get back in time (even though I live less than 45minutes away!). I was pretty desparate to do this event as I could really see it being a cracking event (I think I was one of the 1st to follow the Facebook page and to actually enter!). Hopefully I'll be able to do the half and the (undoubted) success of the race will mean that it will be held again next year, allowing me to do the full then!?

Now that my legs seem to have forgiven me for what I did to them in the Blackpool marathon just under 3 weeks ago I'm now looking forward to hitting the forestry trails (including the MTB Marin Trail) just by where I live!

• Hi, im new to this thread,i have a cabin at trawsfynydd holiday village and run the coed y brenin trails a bit. i`m assuming that the marathon would probably follow a lot of the 24.2 mile trail called "the beast" if so it will be a tough run with approxiamately 900 metres of ascent over the course.The trails are amazing, the views from the top of the rhinogs are awesome.i`ve ran all of the trails,the MBR, Temtiwr, the beast,the Volcano trail, the tarw and the running trails,i havent decided whether to do the half or full yet cos ive been out with a torn calf for the last month.Anyway i`ve resumed training this week and all is ok so i`m off to Coed Y Brenin on Sunday to spend 5 or 6 days running the trails.

Anyone who enters this race will not be disappointed,its gonna be a truely amazing event,so make sure you get lots and lots of the biggest hills you can find into your training.

• JB are the trails at Marin easy to follow I've got 2weeks off now and fancy popping over for a change?
  • John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭
    Sandra - the marin trail is signposted throughout and I'm sure you can printout a map of the trail online. The bike shop in Llanrwst also sells full maps of the trail and there is a big map on a board at the "official" start of the trail
  • Thanks John have a good weekend

Will try and pop over next week I'm only in Dolgellau so not far away really.
  • John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭
    You too Sandra. I'm planning to go for a run around the Marin trail 1st thing tomorrow, although I'd rather be running the Betws-y-Coed half tomorrow which is a cracking course
  • ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭
    just back from 15 miles - this is not going to be easy ouchimage
  • just had a quick peep at the start line for this and there are now 650 entries image should be a great day
  • MelbowMelbow ✭✭✭
    Thanks matt for the reassurance of the cut-off. I am looking forward to the whole event. I keep glancing at my diary and seeing the large mileage runs that are coming up in the next few weeks and hope it all goes to plan. I live too far away to reccy any of it so will be glad when the route is up. Just booked a week in Newquay spring bank when my longest run is due so bit worried about finding a 20 mile route, but will try to plan something on the internet, maybe a 2 lap 10 miler.
    Have sourced some Shotz gels so will try those too on the longer runs.
    Hope every one elses training is going well.
  • ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Well Trail marathon route is on map my run - arrrrhhhhh - know where first couple of miles are then not sure where it's going apart from up (but i'd probably know bits if i was on the trail rather than looking at a sat image!) somewhere in the middle there is the volcano bit then i get lost again but think i know where we come back down to earth and than head up homeimage. Kind of thinking rather than try to work it out get lost, scare self silly etc i may stick with the routes i've planned and leave a nice? surprise for the day. Or if the PDF maps are easier to follow or i can get someone to explain it to me i may have an investigate.

Oh and only about 10 weeks to go image

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    sounds like a good race
  • Looks like the route may be a bit tougher than expected with nearly 1500 metres of climb and a good proportion of singletrack.
  • ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

slight panic here image

Sundays 16 miles was about 2400 ft overall climb and the route has nearly double that trying to convince myself that i did alot of my total in one hit and on the day it will be more spread out - not working at the moment - arrrrrrrrrrrrrh

• Hi all!

I'm in for the full marathon, along with my running buddy (who is only just still speaking to me after I talked her into it then told her what the ascent and descent was!). We did 15m with 400m of climb and averaged 11:30 min miles this weekend. Bit worried about the amount of climb in the actual race at 1300-1400m in 26 miles. We need to do more hills in training. Off to do the Hawkshead 17km trail race next weekend and planning some runs in the Peak District, Cannock Chase and am planning to pop down to CyB the weekend of the 12th May to run part of the route.

I managed to map the route (more or less) onto an OS map (using a highlighter pen) using the Map my Run route, using a combination ot the topo map and the satellite map. There were only a few points where the tracks on the computer didn't seem to appear on the OS map - but i think that's becasue the forestry commission move stuff around on a regular basis. I'm not quite sure how easy it will be to translate that to the ground though. I'm OK in the mountains and on moorland, but forests are more difficult to navigate. I may need to steal Mr Muddy's GPS. Even if i can't run on the actual route it's worth having a go in the area. The hills around me are all long, not short and steep. Hence the trips to Cannock.

Think we'll be OK to make it to 20 miles in 4:30. But its gonna hurt. I just need to make sure that we don't set off to quickly.

Has anyone tried Shotz energy gels? The website says that they will be supplied, but I'm not familiar with this brand. I may carry my own High5 gels. I'm planning to carry a small ruc-sac with some additional water, clothes and food. I get cold quickly so if i have to walk for whatever reason i'll need extra layers.

I'm worried, but excited!

No idea where to stay before hand.

Good luck in building the big miles over the next 7 weeks or so!!!!

• MelbowMelbow ✭✭✭
    hi muddy,I also like the High5 gels, so reckon I'd be happier sticking with what I know.Think I'll be carrying jacket, suncream,gels and drink as I will be out a while. I'm up to 17 miles this weekend then building up each week. Its weird how 10 miles is now a short run.
    Looking at the profile it looks like the worst climb is done by mile 7 but 19 to 24 looks like a b***er.
    We're staying at the log cabins at cadair Lodge, so hope its as lovely as it looks on the net.
    Hope everyones training is going well.I am also looking forward to it but also bricking it. Will definitely be having a celebratory drink after that..
  • ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Hi Muddy & Melbow - i'll be another one with high 5 gels and probably my backpack - have decided i will need to carry some energy drink as well as i'm going to be out for the day.

Muddy - They have started marking the course now with red arrows painted on the ground so if your good with a map you could probably work it out now. 

Melbow - mile 7 is the highest point but the views are amazing, the end section isn't as bad as it looks on the map (honest) it's the last climb before that i'm trying not to think about!

Going to attempt 19 miles this weekend can't actually believe i've only got 4 really big runs left now the 19, then a 19 or 21 then a 21 then a 21 or 23 arrrrhhhhhh!

• MelbowMelbow ✭✭✭
    hi Chrissi thanks for the info. Are you near enough to train on the route? What shoes do you normally go out in on the trails? I have the Roclite 315 which i've used for a 21 mile race and were ok, but never run further than that. There isnt as much cushioning as road shoes but looking at the video on the races' facebook page, trail shoes are needed. It will be much drier in June i hope.
    Training in constant rain is creating alot of washing! loving the seal skin socks!
    Happy running