New York Road Runners and forum do-gooders

13»

Comments

• Is selling a number breaking the law?

There seems to be some conflation going on here between "the law" and "the rules" of a race featuring a bunch of people engaging in their hobby.

i don't think so. And if it is, then the law is an ass. rational debate appears to be fleeing RW these days.

• @Johnny Blaze - selling a number *could* be breach of contract, I guess.
  • A breach of contract is not illegal.

Yeah, I don't think selling your race number is actually illegal.

• Good point, but I doubt it's ever happened. The threat of lifetime disqualification is usually enough to deter most people or Ebay would be full of number selling.

Is it really that important to people that they need to dob in total strangers?

That little dot in the distance? That's their sense of perspective...

• KK - not sure how much effort you have put into growing a tache but my challenge is much more inclusive and only really excludes eunuchs. Seriously though, if anyone else does try and copy the challnge I would recommend building up to daily or even double sessions. It was ok for me because I have nearly 30 years of base behind me.
  • Interestingly I had a picture of Popeye on my favourite tee-shirt when I was about 4 or 5. Maybe even then my parents knew I would develop an iron wrist.
  • JB...........i just assumed that selling them when you are strictly banned must be againgt the law.............just like ticket touting and selling on your olympic tickets................otherwise why would ebay not allow you to sell your VLM numbers or your NYC numbers.........as the number is not actually yours to sell..............

but i may be wrong............image

whoever mentioned my arse..........It is a bit painful at the moment so if you have a spare elbow i would be interestedimage

and glad you got the refund as you will need the money to start saving for little ones first car.........as its a boy its going to cost...big timeimageimage

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

It's not against the law to sell your VLM or NYC race place, although for VLM I think you would be breaking the terms of the agreement, probably the same for NY.

It will be illegal to sell your Olympic tickets (if you managed to get any) - you could be fined up to £20,000 for doing so.

• Let me see if i can still remember this........Ticket touting is only against the law at designated football matches and does not include other sports or music concerts....however the organisers of these other events get round this by setting certain conditions on the sale of the tickets...hence why they can search your bags, take bottles of you at the point of entry...I suppose one of these conditions is that you can't sell on or make a profit from the face value of the ticket...if you do they reserve the right to refuse entry....i think this is right but not 100%.
  • Bliddy hell Foo. You swallowed Blackstone's?!! image
  • I never want to see those books again.

• I defer to m'learned friend. Obiter dicta, inter Alia, sic transit Gloria Mundi and all that.
  • There is of course something immoral about buying tickets simply to sell at vastly inflated prices.... Not that that's what the OP was doing...
  • @Peter Collins - I disagree. That's how commerce works, regardless of the product - buy low, sell high. If someone is selling something for £10 and they're happy with that, what's it to them if you can buy it and then re-sell it for £40?
  • We can agree to disagree. Especially in this day and age, when clued in touts can get quick and easy access to all sorts of tickets, it really sticks in my craw to see this going on. If that's the way commerce works, then screw commerce.