12 in 2012

Comments

• JUN
    Wales(Tenby) – Way2Slow, SSQ & Ulen; Wales Trail – Spen71& Miserablebleeder; Lancaster – SueO; South Downs – KateF & Rob Tanner, The Wall – EG Graham; Gt Barrow - SueO

JUL
    Isle of Man – SSQ & EG Graham; Chichester Challenge – KateF(?); Valley Challenge – JamesJoy;  Thunder Run – JamesJoy;  Over the Edge – Spen71 & Ulen; Enigma – Way2Slow; Boddington - Rob Tanner(?); Cheltenham – Rob Tanner(?); Littledown – Rob Tanner(?); Lakeland – MiserableBleeder; Wenlock Olympian – MiserableBleeder; Fairlands - CheckMate

AUG
     Guernsey - SSQ; Salisbury – KateF & Rob Tanner(?); Thames meander – Way2Slow & Ulen; NDW 50 – Spen71; Reykjavik – CheckMate; Gin Pit – EG Graham

SEP
    LochNess – way2slow(?), SSQ, EG Graham & MiserableBleeder; Nottingham – way2slow(?); Kent Coastal – SueO, CheckMate & way2slow(?); Robin Hood or New Forest – Ulen, CheckMate & Rob Tanner; Lea Valley - JamesJoy(?); Toad Challenge – JamesJoy; Birmingham Canter – Spen71; Farnham pilgrim – Way2slow, Marathon du Medoc - Emmy_Bug; Margate - CheckMate

OCT
    Leicester – way2slow & Spen71; Abingdon – JamesJoy, Lucca – KateF(?); Washington DC – Spen71, Amsterdam – SSQ; Chester – EG Graham & Willio46(?), Clarendon – Rob Tanner(?); Snowdon – MiserableBleeder; Bruxelles – CheckMate(?) Dublin – SueO(?)

NOV
    Rutland –way2slow, SueO(?), EG Graham & MiserableBleeder; Luton – JamesJoy & Ulen(?); A20 PathnDowns – Kate(?), SueO, Rob Tanner(?) & CheckMate; Athens – SSQ(?); Crewe – Ulen(?)

DEC
    Lisbon - way2slow; Portsmouth - SSQ, Ulen, KateF(?) & Rob Tanner(?); Liverbird – EG Graham; Sunrise2Sunset - MiserableBleeder

• SSQ thanks for the update it's really good of you to keep tabs, seems I'm the only mug in for the Wall and maybe see you at the IOM, just booked my flights this morning

• way2slowway2slow ✭✭✭

great work SSQ - am only doing farnham pilgrim in sept - think anymore would finish me off image  How'd you get on at Tenby? sorry couldn't meet up - would have been great to put a face to the name.........

• Sorry we didn't get to meet and looks like we won't meet at Loch Ness neither. Tenby was great , great scenery, wasn't expecting so many hills. Official results still not out, think I ran it in 4h 48mins, I did run all the hills, albeit slowly.  How did you get on?

• way2slowway2slow ✭✭✭

not too bad SSQ - about 4hrs13 for me (wheels fell off at 22 miles) - scenery was good - can't quite decide if that evil hill at mile 3 was worse on the way up or back down though......

• Thames meander is in August ( W2S is doing that one ) and i'm seriouslythinking of signing up for it instead of Chester but still only 90% decided

anyone doing the shropshire over the edge one, i'm doing the HM, there are a few stiles in it to say the least

there seems to be alot finishing off with Portsmouth, will have to have a meet up at some point that would be fun

• Hi HM hows it going, when's Portsmouth, not seen that one, mind you its a long way for me but I 'm guessing it's a flat one

• Tenby was great! Results are up too now. I loved that 300ft hill on the way back - did it in under 9 minutes! Great to meet up with w2s & SSQ over the weekend, and running with you both (albeit briefly!).

5 down, 7 to go...

I need to sort out booking my last 3 maras. I keep changing my mind so much.
    Booked:
    July 8th - Over The Edge
    Aug 25th - Thames Meander
    [Oct 14th - Oxford Half]
    Oct 21st - Abingdon
    Dec 23rd - Portsmouth Coastal

So I need Sept (poss Bacchus?) and Nov (poss Crewe déjà vu) and then squeeze another in. Maybes there include a Northants reservoir one at the end of July, Salisbury 54321 mid Aug, Chester 7th Oct (really not sure about mara/half/mara 3 weeks in a row though!!), Beachy Head end Oct (ditto), Rutland Nov (does it have a medal?!?) or Luton. Liverbird NYE is my fallback in case I don't get 12 in by then. Then I could always kick off 2013 with the Liverbird NYD marathon too lol!

EG - Portsmouth *is* flat, but it includes sections across off-road terrain, including beach, dunes, shingle, field, and path, with some up and down steps. Not ideal for a PB, but no 300ft hills to run up and down!! Oh, and it's on the shortest day weekend and weather & coastal winds could be a factor too. I did the Half there last year (separate event in Feb) - still managed 1:56 in the freezing rain.

PS. You can find me on FB at www.facebook.com/garkbit where HmUK has put up some fab photos of my 3 marathons in 21 days image

• Hi Ulen, will check out the pics, well done on three in 21, good going.

I'm doing Chester Rutland and Liverbird, so may see you at one, and I wouldn't mind Portsmouth if I can get the time together close to Xmas

• Tried to update my avatar to a Brathay picture, but RW won't let me upload a new image, Grrr. It's 100 x 120 and less than 12k (as per their instructions), what am I doing wrong?!
  • EG if you want a link to the pictures I'll email them to you I've got some more pictures and yes Rachael I have some pics to email to you I know i'm notoriously bad, you have to keep reminding me

Have took some brilliant photos, I think that I need to keep a marathon portfolio and one day some people will recognise themselves Its always exciting to see photos I think of the marathon day Still cant believe how extortionate they are to buy the official ones although Tenby wasnt too bad.  Never would buy London at £75 a throw I didnt even get them all

Tenby was fabulous weekend how some of the trialthloners did the 3 things tho I'll never know

It was good to cheer quite a few people on for a change ( SSQ and W2S off here and a couple of my other friends )

I managed to get quite a good cheer squad going, especially in Pembroke when it was particuarly busy to start with, I'm hoping I've also persuaded SSQ's friend to give running a go after talking to her about it for most of the day ( and i'm no expert by any means )

Have I really go tot wait til October before seeing you again EG?  We definitely need a 12 in 12 meet up I think by the end of the year at least!!!

• Hi HM Yes please do, I would like to see the pics, and October will be upon you in no time, do I take it you're in for Chester then? if it's anything like my year it has flown over just waiting for my next run.

• i still cant decide EG I am also liking the look of the Thames meander ( apart from the big hill at the beginning and the end to get onto the riverbank i presume ) it is very flat all the way and its an out and back, i love out and back

If i dont do Chester tho ( but I havent ruled it out yet ) I will come and support you as I've got another 2 friends athat are doing it and it would be nice to see them again and I could hve a weekend in Chester, I love Chester

• Oh good, my image has miraculously updated today. I must've tried half a dozen tines or more yesterday to update it to a more recent picture! This one was taken in Tenby by my lovely girlfriend and ever-present supporter, cheerer-on, and driver. I don't think I could've managed 5 marathons so far this year, certainly not 3 in the space of less than a month without her help! Thanks HmUK image
  • in the last 7 weeks I ran 5 marathons.  I'm 7 down , 7 more to go. I booked an extra 1 marathon just in case 1 gets cancelled. Then my co-worker asked me to do Frankfurt in Oct , so how could I refuse, so now I'm upto 14 in 12.

The hardest marathon I've done this year, I won't get a medal for - Steyning.

It was great running 2 marathons in 1 week same as Ulen, with HMUK supporting.

Its 5 weeks to go until my next marathon and it seems ages away.

• I know what you mean SSQ, 5 weeks seems a long way off.

• way2slowway2slow ✭✭✭

you could always make up your own marathon route and do it as a training run for fun image

• A Marathon training run! Wow!, on that comment I'm just off out to do a half marathon route that I know, to break in my new trainers ready for the Wall next saturday

• i really must sort myself out some new trainers, i think they will wear out soon!!! 

and thanks MAABOF, i do try and encourage the runners and hope they benefit by me yelling and bellowing at them, i do enjoy watching ( i hope to run one soon too ) 

• Hi all, looks like you all have been busy!! Well done everyone on notching up those numbers, looks like we are all getting there.

I'm up to 7 completed now, ran (or shuffled) the Gt Barrow double this weekend, both days were lovely courses around the Suffolk countryside. The wind was a bit of a nightmare on Sat but today it calmed down a little. Actually ran todays quicker (although not that quick!) and met a few great people to run with and to keep the pace going. Considering the 4 day challenge that they hold in September but would need alot more hard work to be put in cos actually going to work tomorrow sounds appealing rather than running a marathon!!

• W2S, I tried that a while ago, 38 miles on my own was a bit much! Well done Sue, two back to back sounds tough.

• @SueO Well done Gt Barrow back2back marathons. Well done for being 7 up

Anyone else thinking of the 4 day challenge in September? I can only think

@KateF 38 miles on your own - wow

Anything over 20 miles and I think I deserve a medal image

• I'm doing the Bacchus HM in Sept and it also has a marathon too, its quite appealing as it has wine stations as well as water stations ( although i think it would only be little cups lol, can u imagine if it were huge cups, people would be staggering around ) and apparently there is a hog roast after, it all sounds really good fun Its on 9th Sept and down in Surrey, Sounds good to for a post meet up if anyone fancies this one to add to their 12 in 12

• Sue O wrote (see)

Hi all, looks like you all have been busy!! Well done everyone on notching up those numbers, looks like we are all getting there.

I'm up to 7 completed now, ran (or shuffled) the Gt Barrow double this weekend, both days were lovely courses around the Suffolk countryside. The wind was a bit of a nightmare on Sat but today it calmed down a little. Actually ran todays quicker (although not that quick!) and met a few great people to run with and to keep the pace going. Considering the 4 day challenge that they hold in September but would need alot more hard work to be put in cos actually going to work tomorrow sounds appealing rather than running a marathon!!

Well done Sue O. I was driving away yesterday as yourself and JK were finishing. Saturday was pretty windy and yesterday was pretty warm. Never a happy medium! The 4 day event is good. Lots of nice friendly like minded people!

• Thanks Sean G and well done yourself, really enjoyed the weekend and as i said some lovely people. Hope to see you in September and at least i know not to go round that last field on the saturday but to go though it!

If anyone else is thinking of giving it a go it's a great small event and i was surprised how quickly you can recover if you need to!!!

• Hi everyone, am trying to sort the rest of the year timetable out today and found The Full Moon Olympic Marathon in Southwell Nottinghamshire on 12th August if anyone interested???? - 9 laps but 4 stiles each lap to break it up!

Am pondering this one and have decided that the rest of the year will look like this......

Aug 12 - Full Moon - Maybe

Sept 19th/20th/21st/22nd - Gt Barrow 4 day challenge

4th Nov - Rutland

18th Nov - A20 path n downs

23rd Dec - Portsmouth

Will make possibly 15 for the year - never thought that would happen when i started this malarky!!

• I just completed the Wall, which is 70 miles for my 7th this year and am disappointed to find that if I had taken the option to camp overnight at the midway point, I would be credited with two back to back Marathons, as I completed in one go, I only get credit for one.

next one for me - Isle of man

• ah that sucks, but very well done.  The name alone sounds like a tremendous marathon challenge.

• Yea but what a great achievement EG graham, i fancy that next year. Do you recommend it?

Lancaster marathon yesterday, enjoyed it and would do again but VERY hilly.

7 done image
  • Willo - I've doen the Lancaster half, that was OK quite an enjoyable run, I'd imagine you ran most of it in the full event.

As for the Wall, if you'd asked yesterday the answer would have been a resounding no, 20 hours running/walking in inches of water, out in the wilds seeing no one for two hours at a time, at night, pitch dark, almost hypothermic with cold rain, and the worst blisters I've ever had.

Today I'm thinking, "Yeah, I can knock three hours off that, and what's the chances of it being held in the middle of the region's biggest flood in 20 years again" so yes I'd recommend it but make it the one day event, and take plenty spare socks.