Inskip Derby Arms Half Marathon

Comments

• imageIts ok saying all these thing on a forum about other peoples efforts to put races on so people can run if they want. imageYOU want to try it sometime as you seem to know a lot about the rules and regs of putting a race together so step up to the plate I for one will enter. So put up or shut up imageor just hide behind your runners world name at least myself and steve come on here as ourself  so if you wish to see all the number come and have a look on sunday all the best Alan Taylor Co-organiser of the Inskip Half Marathon.image
  • Hope it goes well Alan. I`m sure it will. Wish I could`ve made it as I`ve trained well since Catforth so I`m looking to race in the next couple of weeks. Next will be at Dewsbury 10k , I think but might look at the Guild Mara further ahead.image
  • imageCheers so do I as a lot of effort has gone into this in such a short time. If you want to beat your pbs you need to get those races in more often but with small children its hard to juggle family/training/work/and races but I hope to see you in July at the Elswick Express 10 miler and if I can get someone to do the lead car I may run it wiyh you all the best Alan T.image

• I for one applaud you for the effort putting on this event! I'm travelling from New Brighton on the morning and can't wait!
  • I am looking forward to Sunday and my second half marathon. I'm no speedy Gonzales but I hope to shave a bit off my previous time. Having skim read all the messages above it looks like it'll be a friendly bunch competing. image Alan, can you tell me what time race numbers will be available from on Sunday please?
  • All the best Alan

I'm looking forward to my first race of 2012, I'll find out how the training's going.

Making a weekend of it, to  see family and watching Owen Coyle's not so super white army.

I for one am grateful for the race and the organisers for putting on the event, long may it prosper.  I am one of the many unable to get a place in the Brass Monkey.

Yes I do operate behind enemy lines overt hills. 

• alan taylor 6 wrote (see)
    imageI am pleased to let you all know that after a lot of work by myself shoestring results and uka that the race is now a UKA permitted race and can be used for all kinds of championships and the power of ten see you all sunday. Number pick up is now at the parking area at HMS Inskip so to keep the the start area clear and safe for all.imageimage

UKA ask for license applications 6 months in advance of a race, not 6 DAYS!

In the circumatances, Soup has asked a reasonable question about the license number. If the race has a license it bis no big deal to be open and transparent and provide the number.

I did say if the race got a license I would issue a measurement certificate.

So it is something of a surprise to lesrn through this forum that a license has been issued.

Such a surprise that I have contacted UKA myself to check this race has a UKA license.

And for those who want to have a pop at me: Brian Porter is my correct name. I am a UKA licensed Official, I am a race organiser and race consultant. I am a course measurer. 

Alan: Soup may well be a pain in the arse, but he/she sure as hell makes organisers toe the line, and that in my book is only good for the sport.

• Message toNoSoup4U

The spats we have had have been well documented, but your comments on this thread in particular have made me realise that actually we are both pursuing the same thing, and that is high quality, safe events.

We may say things differently but we have a lot in common, in that we want the sport to prosper.

I currently have a number of projects on the go that could benefit from input from a person like yourself.

let me make it clear: this is NOT some attempt to "out" you to people who don't like your views. Many on this thread alone don't like mine. I know this as a fact.

I'm not looking for you to organise races or get more involved than you want to, but I would like to use you as a sounding board for ideas.

You can be absolutely assured of 100% confidentiality, because I could certainly use your knowledge of the sport.

Best regards, Brian Porter

• Numbers can be picked up from 8.30am from the car park area up at HMS inskip not the venue pub as we need to keep it clear of cars for the start abd finish see you all sunday and good luck to you all     Alan Timage.

• Brian you know me personaly and you have ran my races and you for one know that I dont cut corners and have the runners and the marshals best intrests at heart and even if they hav'nt been licenced they have all been covered by insurance and well marshaled and drinks stations where they should be.As a race official you ran a race not so long ago and it had 2 water station and you advised me for the inskip that I needed 4 so as I say lets all sing from the same song sheet and not turn that blind eye.
    As a race official you ran a race not so long ago and it had 2 water station and you advised me for the inskip that I needed 4 so as I say lets all sing from the same song sheet and not turn that blind eye.

No blind eye was turned at that race Alan. The referee's report for that race commented about there being only 2 water stations, along with the other areas for improvement.

Now that your race has a UKA license I will issue a course measurement certificate

imageIts ok saying all these thing on a forum about other peoples efforts to put races on so people can run if they want. imageYOU want to try it sometime as you seem to know a lot about the rules and regs of putting a race together so step up to the plate I for one will enter. So put up or shut up imageor just hide behind your runners world name at least myself and steve come on here as ourself  so if you wish to see all the number come and have a look on sunday all the best Alan Taylor Co-organiser of the Inskip Half Marathon.image

Alan,

How satisfying to hear Stephen’s somewhat illogical old views recycled using your own unique grammatical style. For the record my right to comment on this or any other message board without necessarily being a race organiser is called freedom of speech. As for hiding behind a runners world name is concerned then, as far as I can see, that is a widespread practise on this board. Furthermore, it seems to be the chosen method for several people who have supported you on this thread. Presumably you disapprove of them too. Is there also an element of hypocrisy here given that you post on your club’s message board under a name other than Alan Taylor?

Any road up, let’s get back to the point. What about some answers to my questions? What is the UK:A license number for the Inskip race? What is your affiliated member number? Am I right to presume that you have obtained one and haven’t been tempted to use one belonging to anyone else?

When you see Stephen can you remind him that he still not has told us what the license number was that he claimed he had for the Boxing day 10k in Leyland? Or whether he used the Red Rose course as measured in February 2011 by Brian.

Brian,

For the time being I think we should keep our relationship as it stands. Rest assured though that I will continue to post on this board whenever I think that anyone is taking liberties when organising races.

• Soup, I did my own checks so I can reassure you and everyone about to take part on Sunday that it does have a UKA license.

The license number escapes me - it's in an email somewhere.

As for Shoestring's UKA affiliation number, I can also reassure everyone that in order to get a UKA license, the body must be affiliated to UKA. Therefore since the race has a UKA license, by definition Shoestring is affiliated to UKA.

As for the Boxing Day 10K, that too had a UKA license (something else I checked with UKA), though it wasn't certified as accurate because neither myself nor other measurers had time to do it.

In fairness Soup, you can hardly expect answers to your questions when your own track record is one of not answering. Maybe in our own new era of conciliation you might wish to do so now.

PS: Soup is not the first person with whom I have argued/fallen out, to later find common ground, and I echo this statement:

NoSoup4U wrote (see)
     Rest assured though that I will continue to post on this board whenever I think that anyone is taking liberties when organising races.
  • Can someone explain to me what the big hang up is about a UKA number?

I'm very new to this and entered cos I thought it was fun, seems to be far too many people taking it far too seriously and I can't understand why???

Fair play and many thanks to the organiser but if I was in his shoes I probably wouldn't be arsed organising another due to the hassle he appears to be getting.
  • DARREN UNSWORTH wrote (see)
     Fair play and many thanks to the organiser but if I was in his shoes I probably wouldn't be arsed organising another due to the hassle he appears to be getting.

Sounds like sense to me!

alan taylor 6 wrote (see)

image If you want to beat your pbs you need to get those races in more often but with small children its hard to juggle family/training/work/and races but I hope to see you in July at the Elswick Express 10 miler and if I can get someone to do the lead car I may run it wiyh you all the best Alan T.image

Dunno Alan. I did 18 races last year and, over the past few months, I`ve tried to prioritise training , especially my LDR. Hopefully that`ll bear fruit in 2012. Looking forward to the EE10!
  • UKA license numbers show that the race organiser has paid due diligence to the safety of competitors and anyone else associated with the event.

Of course, if you would rather races were just thrown together by an old Tom, Dick or Harry rogue operator then just say so and those of us who care about safety will just pack up and go home.

Organising races properly is bloody hard work. I know because I have done it at a high level for many years. I expect every race to comply with the same high standard of safety.

Does that answer your question?

• I recently did the Catforth hm. I don`t think it had a uka license did it Brian? ( btw you look a lot like the chap who started the race).
  • imageHi darren I love to run myself and if by putting a race on to let people acheive personal goals in life or beat there last PB then it is worth some greifimage. Please dont let this put you of running but try and support club and local charity runs rather than the big buisness ones. Well see you all sunday please dont be late as I set my races of dead on time cheers and good luck to all Alan T.image
  • ET, yes Catforth did have a UKA license. I was the referee that day, and highlighted one or two things to the organisers, which they have now put in place for their next race.

The reason I look a bit like the guy who started the race is because I am heimage

• Yes it does Brian - thank you.

I probably didn't explain my post too well, what I meant was why are people obsessed by the number? Alan has stated numerous times it has one - do people not believe him or something?

He seems a very genuine fella to me who has put tonnes of effort into this - again putting myself in his shoes I would feel very insulted by some of these posts.

Alan - I did a training half marathon run last weekend which is the first time I have gone that distance (1hr 49mins which I am very proud of as it wasnt that long ago I was struggling with a 5k run) this race is to set myself a target for the Liverpool Half in March.

I mainly stick to charity runs (5k) as I am a fundraiser for the National Autistic Society but fully intend to try and do as many longer distance runs as I can this year. Note I use the word run not race as this is all just a bit of fun for me in an effort to lose some weight and get fitter.

I am a novice in the true sense of the word but im really looking forward to this and really appreciate your efforts.
  • Don't worry about Alan, Darren.

He has thicker skin than I do image

Get yourself along to Wesham Road Runners on a Monday evening. We combine a social run with 2 hours in the pub being even more social.

Cheers

• Thanks for the invite Brian - just had a look at your website and Kirkham is a bit far for me.

It has given me food for thought about joining a club again though - back in my school days I ran for Liverpool Pembroke Harriers. I would love to do some cross country running again albeit at novice level.
  • 1.49 on a trainig run great stuff if you pace it right you should  do 1.46 but if you can be the first one home in 1.45 you will get a 1 pint beer token donated by the pub so you never know.image

just to let you all know again that the registration is up at the car park area at HMS Inskip there are toilets there but please give youself plenty of time to get to the start as it is half a mile away. There are also toilets in the pub and a couple of porta loos there aswell , the pub is open from 8.30 for tea /coffee bacon butts and toast so good luck and see you all on the flip side just of to start putting signs outimage 

• Looking forward to this one tomorrow, it's a shame some people have used this thread as a platform on which to pontificate pompously and pedantically. That's quite enough alliteration...

First race of 2012, was hoping to beat my PB of 1.32.14 but the wind may have other ideas. Am coming down the M6 from Carlisle, will be a bit of an early start.

I'd like to thank Alan for his organisation and for keeping us all informed by email. Forgive my ignorance but are we parking near a ship? HMS Inskip?

See you all tomorrow!

• Alan

Like a number of other runners have indicated on the forum I am looking for a qualifying time for New York. Could I add my name to those looking for the measurement certificate. I will seek you out on the day.

Looking forward to this being a good event.

Thank you for organising.

John Wood
  • Alan,

I'm hoping to run tomorrow in place of a club mate who is injured and can't take part. Will number transfers be allowed on the day?

Thanks.
    Antony
  • John Wood 35 wrote (see)
    Alan Like a number of other runners have indicated on the forum I am looking for a qualifying time for New York. Could I add my name to those looking for the measurement certificate. I will seek you out on the day. Looking forward to this being a good event. Thank you for organising. John Wood

The measurement certificate should be on disply tomorrow, along with the UKA license.

UKA have been informed of the measurement certification and I've had comfirmation from UKA that they have received my email to that effect.

• I too am hoping for a New York qualifier - best of luck to all who have like ambitions, and let's hope the wind abates!!
  • looking forward to it too....more so if that wind would calm down....dipped just under 1hr21 at Catforth but think that might be a tretch to better tomorrow......cheers for putting these on at this time of year as it is perfect timing for the Spring marathons....see you tomorrow and good luck to everyone involved....

• Some of the times I'm seeing are frightening me - can someone please make sure I get back to the finish line ok before you all go home - I will try not to keep you waiting too long.