Over the Edge Marathon and Half Marathon

Comments

• I deliberately did 9 miles last night through the hilly Downs close to me, it was muddier than when I do it in January. Can't wait for Sunday, bring on the mud! And the stiles and Personal Worsts!
  • That's the spirit!

Maybe we should present medals to the muddiest finishers rather than the fastest/cleanest.
  • Will there be nettles? Should I wear my leggings?

• I have strimmed pretty much all the nettles on the route over the last week or two!

It depends really if you want wet skin or wet leggings but nettles should not be a problem. I would wear shorts if I were able to take part.
  • Strimming indeed... I've heard you've been growing special varieties of the things and planting them around the stiles. Thanks anyway, I know you've put massive efforts into this!
  • Strimming that's fantastic commitment on you part, thank you.

Just one more question:

"PARKING for those who have booked transportis at Much Wenlock – parking off B4371 (Much Wenlock to Church Stretton road) just west of and almost opposite NT car park grid ref SO 614 996, post code TF13 6DH – look for signs and a marshal."

Is this in a field, on grass or is it hard standing?  My car really does not do off road very well and i don't want to get stuck.  If it is grass I may opt to pay for parking elsewhere in MW.

• Proper car park , recently made, if your car can't get off it I'll give you a piggy back home image
  • Bring it on..the wetter the better!

King Kong, I'm sure there is some very useful info in that message but I'm not quite getting it!image

• Good news about the parking, thanks Chris.

Brer, i am that rarest of creatures, a bloke who does not mind admitting he can't drive very well.image

• I'm not the best at finding places, so had a good look at google map images / street views from the postcode and surrounding junctions, it should be relatively easy to find! A few minutes walk back to the car at the end, but I wouldn't have thought its any longer than the big events we've probably all done.

I'm definitely more excited about this than any other event I've done for a long time...
  • 10 minute walk back to the car, nice warm down!
  • King Kong, I need to clarify my message! When I read yours last night, it was interspersed with those strange symbols that sometimes appear in messages. Today, it is clear..sorry about thatimage. Latest weather report is...for rainimage

• Yeah, if you copy stuff in from a source that uses a different font, it puts in a load of code.  So what you do is put it in.  Then go back in and edit all the code out.  image 

I use XC weather and they have it as showers increasing through the day.  Very little wind and temperatures in the range 13 to 16.  Not ideal, but could be a lot worse!!

• XC is saying less rain and slightly more heat, I hope they are correct! imageimageimage

• well the weather forecast is definitely rain, I have had a couple of friends that have run this ( they sent me their garmin info ) and said that they added 45mins onto their marathon time ( if that helps anyone ) They said it is slippy ( and they hadnt run in the recent wet weather ) 

I havent got any trail shoes ( cant afford to image ) so will be running in road shoes but am not a fool and shall be walking if I need to, no shame in walking for me, rather have that than risk injury

Its so beautiful around there I shall be probably spending a while taking pictures ( I shall be taking them on my phone camera ) 

I am assured the route is going to be well marked out but I am going to print the instructions off and put them in a clear pouch and put them in my bum bag just to be sure

should be fun, looking forward to doing it and looking forward to my medal too a the end, I love my bling lol 

• Hi

Hannah's mum, Yeah I''ll have me map, special drink, energy bar, route description (brilliant, thanks Chris).  I am walking the hills and I do appreciate the 8 hrs cut off.  I am so looking forward to a great day out, enjoy everyone. 

PS. in 1994 when the house roof leaked, and every time it rained, I worried about the damp in my daughters room, I came to a major insight... actually it does not rain that often or for very long, even on wet days!!! 

She grew up fine and is now about to give birth to her own daughter/son. imageimageimage

• Yesterday was a lovely day here and I actually started to think it might dry out a bit! Raining all day today apparently, oh well was a nice thought.

Starting marking the route later but doing most of it tomorrow afternoon, it should be impossible to get lost!

Hope everyone is sensible like it sounds you are, really don't want loads of injuries but similarly didn't want to cancel. It's just going to be a case of accepting that the conditions aren't ideal and enjoying the challenge.

As someone said yesterday it will be memorable!
  • Forgot to say, managed to reduce the number of stiles after Wilderhope Manor by 6 I think

Chris
  • well its raining heavily here in the midlands ( an hour away ) no idea what it is like in shropshire so should imagine the same, I am looking forward to the challenge and i shall be wearing shorts as i figure wet legs are better than wet leggins ( where i feel the cold ) am just debating now whether to go and buy a cap to help keep the water off my face ( never run in one before ) I usually wear a woolly hat and my hair in plaits but i think even in this weather the woolly hat will be soaking

will you let us know how you get on Chris after you have marked the course what the terrain is like ( well i know it will be muddy and wet hahaha ) i guess just certain parts to more careful in so we know what to be aware of on sunday 

• Yes I will keep updating as often as I can,

I would wear shorts too for the same reason,

Just heading out with a strimmer for an hour of squelching.

Chris
  • well i've just bought a pair of trainers off road trainers as figured that i'm gonna be sliding everywhere in my road trainers 

I'm just off for a run now through some fields and our local disused airport which is all fields which my mom has just told me is flooded ( well that will give me some experience I said to her of the conditions on sunday then )

so will go and christen them now ( a small 3mile bimble ) to see how i get on and pray they dont rub anywhere!!!

Chris what have u done to me lol 

• Hey Hannahsmom..good move there I reckon. Wouldn't fancy it in road trainers now.

Chris, you are very dedicated buddy, thank you for your best efforts in such challenging weather.

• well i'm pleased to say my off road trainers are very comfy and I will be running in them sunday, i got stung by stinging nettles tonight so yeah the strimmer will be very much appreciated Chris

It was very very muddy and wet here so i'm sure that I will expect the same conditions there

Bring it on!!! 

• Really looking forward to this, it cant be as rainy as this years Milton Keynes Marathon was, nor as hilly as Malvern Midsummer madness was a couple of weeks ago. and there will be an incentive to gallop round more briskly than usual to watch Murray despatch that Federer chappie in straight sets !

• I do not want to know the result of the tennis, going to have to record it. It has stopped raining!
  • C'mon now... tis going to be a good oneimageimage

• Just looked at about 4 weather forecasts, and the general consensus seems to be heavy showers, though one has steady rain. If I remember SM Milton Keynes was the same day as Manchester, which was unbelievably wet too.... . So anyway we all know what we're doing and what we're getting ourselves into.

I've dug out my Inov8 off roaders, don't find them that comfy so rarely use them, but this is the race for them. Will get my stuff organised later ready for an early start and also need to help pack for going away on holiday Monday morning.

Good luck Chris with the final preparations.
  • Just marked 6 miles of the route, mile 18 - 24 is pretty good to be honest, I will let you knows later what the rest is like.

Still dry with light (drying?) winds. Think I saw the sun earlier but can not be sure as I haven't seen it for so long!

Innov8's will be good

Chris
  • Bags packed..off to my digs in Telforn now..see you all tomorrow

• Mile 1 - 6 in good condition,

Very muddy from there to 8.5 miles,

Good from 8.5 to 14 miles,

Terrible for a mile or so then good again to mile 25, a short boggy section then it's good running to the finish.

Sun shining still here!

Chris