The cost of Ultras

Comments

• Before I got into Ultras I remember paying £35 for a 10k.

All of a sudden £50 for 50 miles sounds like a bargain image

• How much did the US coast to coast end UL costing you James?
  • 35 notes for 10k unless  for a close to heart charity is off the scale.

My 2012 diary is getting full using LDWA  and similar events. 

As long as well we all get near to what we expect  then happy days.

(p.s. hi ben davies)

• Lots image

it was £4k for the entry fee which included support from organisation, some food and drink for the 70 days.

About the same again for accomodation and additional food.

Then about the same again for flights, kit, my own support crew costs/car hire etc.

Good job I got made redundant just before image

But worth every penny. And although I did not get much "stuff" for the entry fee I realise that the crew took nearly 3 months off their work and others spent a year of their lives planning this thing. For that I think the entry fee was a bargain. 

• Thanks again for helping me get a place in the High Peak 40. 

An event which sits pretty high in the value for money stakes. 

• GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭
    The Brecon 40 - done... £38, water only throughout - but we knew that from the start!

A Siva headtorch in the goodie bag? Nice - but it's part of the compulsory kit list so not something i'll use over my Alpkit?

Top race - nice people image
  • Anything's cheaper than Human Race triathlons, duathlons or Kingston Breakfast Runs

But then again that is a full blown commercial organisation based in the (most affluent part of the) South East who manage to sell out pretty much all their races 

• Best value for money in terms of route/distance/food/support/ (history) is the Fellsman. Absolute top in every department. £23 to enter. 61 miles. A great journey. It actually means something quite emotional to finish. Great ultra runners have competed, and do compete every year, but open to all abiliteies and Hikers. Its Not a ridiculous event conjured up by some daft entrepreneur from the City of London! Check it out. 50th anniversary next April.

No offence to Londoners.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    James - in (partial) defence of the MdS, the entry fee for the race is about £850. It's the UK agent (Best of Morrocco) that add another £2k on top. Back in the day (and I'm talking 10 years ago+ ), it bizarrely didn't seem unreasonable when there was nothing else to compare it to and it still could argue that it was the "toughest race in the world", for what many considered to be a once-in-a-lifetime adventure.

Now with so many other options, and the internet to find out about them it is rightly viewed as outrageous; although there are no shortage of takers, so you can't really blame the organisers and agents for hoovering up the available cash. Simple demand/supply economics. However, as a credible athletic event not so many serious runners bother nowadays.

Events organised by event companies are always going to be more expensive than ones organised by runners. Marketing of big events is getting much smarter these days. The Bupa Great Run series is a great example - they convince tens of thousands of non-regular runners to part with small fortunes to run the Manchester 10k (up and down a dual carriageway), or the Great North Run (dual carriageway and housing estates). But a bit of simple research will uncover hundreds of hidden gem races all over the place at a fraction of the cost. Same applies to ultras if you look about for the good 'uns.

Good point about Human Race. I did the Breakfast Run first time in 2000 for about £14. It's now almost treble the price for the same product. A good race though to be fair, but for the first time ever, I'm turning it down these days simply because it is too expensive.

UTMB incidentally is only about €130 - such good value I've done it five times!!
  • The UTMB is good value. I must have eated at least e100 of cheese image
  • It must be hard to get events off the ground to the stage where the organizers can even break even.
    Longer ultras(100milers) unless they are loop races require plenty of man power to support the runners. one way around this is to insist on support teams. This is particularly useful for ist time 100 runners who need all the help they can get.
    I see that the Hardmoors 110 is allowing unsupported runners to race if they have completed other 100s. They are up front about water only checkpoints, saying that as the race grows then they will think about food at checkpoints. Novice runners have to have support teams which must be a good thing. This has to be the way to run an event.
    My view is that I am prepared to pay for food stocked checkpoints provided it,s done properly . By that I mean that squash , water and custard creams is not what I need after 50 miles when my body is craving salty foods (hence the UTMB food).
    To host an unsupported 100 mile ultra aimed at 1st timers without even frequent water stops and minimum vetting will do the sport no good and thats without even taking cost into account.
  • Does anybody know anything about Rory Coleman's events? I just checked out the London Ultra and it's £40 for a medal and 4 drinks stations? It also seems that there is no baggage transport either, so you have to go to the finish to drop your change of gear before going 30 miles to the start. But I might be wrong on that point according to their forum.

Their 100 miler in the Cotswolds looks to be rather thin on support too.

Can anybody advise on the quality of the events as I'd like to take part despite the cost involved ?

• many people don't feel able to comment on Rory's events as he is quite willing to threaten people with legal action if he disagrees with your comments.

all i will say is there have been similar posts about the perceived value for money in the past, and debate on the merits of commercial versus not-for-profit races.
  • Just come back to the Runners' World forum and this thread caught my eye. A lot of interesting comments. I think MdS is too expensive, but then again lots of people do it so they obviously are prepared to pay that price. Me I now do the Kalahari Augrabies Extreme Marathon becasue it is cheaper, oh yes and because I am the UK agent.

LDWA events great (they spoil us)

Endurancelife - more expensive but stunning locations

Extreme Energy Events - good value nice people

Rory Coleman's events (he can sue me if he likes I have no money) I have done a few of his events and they were good events, but  nothing exceptional especially when compared to LDWA (ps Rory is a friend although I know he is a marmite character you either love him or hate him)

Food on checkpoints - I take my own because I am veggie

Goody bags - not bothered I've got enough stuff.

In summary isn't it great that there are so many events now with so many different approaches and price levels. It means you can choose which ones to do and what you pay. 

• I concur with Edward - it is fantastic that there is so much choice out there, I sometimes feel like a kid in a sweet shop. If you dont like the look of an event you dont have to do it....

Re - Rory's events I have done several and I have marshelled a few and so far I have not seen anything that would give the events a black mark. Some of the events certainly have the wow factor in terms of location. The CP's are normally well stocked so all in all no complaints.

• Yes we are spoilt for choice. It was not so long ago that Ultra,s were few and far between.
    The way things are going supply could outstrip demand . Demand may change as well . I suspect the short and sharp adventure type runs will become more popular. It takes a lot of time commitment to train for the longer ultras.
    Choice of which ultra to enter will always be influenced by cost , locality, scenery, route and for many of us just how far we have to travel to the event.
  • The two marathons I've entered this year were £50 each. So when I noticed the Clyde Stride (40 miles) was only £17, I just couldn't resist...
  • Just been invoiced for Ridgeway 40 (ldwa connected event).  Entry fee + transport to start + 1 night + evening meal + packed breakfast = £46.80.  In addition to snacks on the way the mile 28 point has a marquee serving tea, home made cakes and bread.  Even better as am over 60 I get a free pint in one of the local pubs on completion image.
  • Damn I'm only 57 no free pint for me. I'll just have to stock up on cakes.
  • But with the money you've saved you should be able to afford quite a few pintsimage.
  • INteresting thread - and interesting on the Ridgeway comment Bear - I think the Extreme Energy one was double that...but it is a bit further and three days. I think Extreme are good value. I've done afew VOTWO events as well which are more pricey but I've found them really well organised and with great support. Expensive, but I couldn't knock them really.

LDWA are amazingly cheap - I'm off to do the Punchbowl again next month which is I think about £12!

Might have to look at the ridgeway bear sounds fab!

• I love the Extreme Energy Events.  I've just done my last long session for Pigrims' (and managed to stir up a bit of controversy with my observations on General).  They've now registered for VAT which will make them more expensive, but the upside of that is that they are obviously becoming a financially viable organisation.
  • Bear B. Hind I'll see you at Pilgims as I will be working on one of the checkpoints.

• Which one?  I'll be one of the slowbees so save a sausage roll and some choccy for me image.
  • Not sure which one I'll be allocated, it will probably be the second one. There is always plenty of food to go around.
  • If you would like to try a value for money event then please look at the Croydon Ultra. It's 20 quid to enter. It's 30 miles with a 15 mile option and cut off. Ideal for anyone trying out their first ultra. You get well stocked checkpoints, plenty of water, gels, friendly marshalls and based on feedback from last years inaugural event we are improving course signage. Oh and I forgot you get a medal and goody bag!!!!
    It's on July 8th.
  • I seem to have a gap in my diary that weekend so you may see me there.

Ian the website still shows the 2011 date.