Options

Halstead & Essex Marathon

Comments

• Options

We don't want nice and warm on Sunday though image Just seen the forecast and looking pretty good. I'm number 589.

So would you say the course is undulating or hilly Matt? I've heard both. As you are running it twice I'm hoping it can't be too bad!

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

having run last year, i'd say the course seems undulating on the first lap and then hilly on the second... image

• Options

Gladrags: You can check your race number here: http://halsteadroadrunners.net/index.php?page=entrants

forever: I've just been out for a run and it's warm and muggy. Not ideal marathon running weather at all. I'll ask for it to be a little cooler on the day.

We call the course undulating. It's definitely NOT hilly. I defy anyone to call it hilly. If they do they should go and run Beachy Head Marathon then come back and reassess the hilliness of our marathon. Honestly it's quite flat. The issue is that 26.2 miles is quite a long way and you get tired towards the end. image

This year is my tenth Halstead & Essex Marathon and that means I get to join the 262 Club which means I get a race number for life. Mine is 9160 - I picked it up from the race director yesterday and it's even got my name printed on it.

• Options

You'll be easy to spot then Matt with a number like that image Thank you for the course info and the weather arranging image

Gladrags lol but you're back again so it can't be too bad image

• Options

Hi all - am aiming for 4 hours too - number 60, this is my fifth marathon - so if teknik, sean g and digger could do with the company......

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Welcome aboard the 4h train, Ian, glad to have you join.

I'm aiming to build in some slope-off in pace, so would love to do a 1h56 Half, 2h58 at 20 mile, leaving a (at worst) 10mm finish for the last 10k. Thoughts, anyone?

forever...I've run Halstead twice, and this year checked out a few garmin downloads on Fetch: there are lots of ups and downs, but nothing steep or very long. 

Matt..congratulations!

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

this is my 8th marathon. pb is 4h27 from 9 years ago - am wondering if i can get close to that after quite a  relaxed 4h38 at london.

race no is 701.

well done matt

• Options

Teknik, Gladrags: thanks

• Options
    ElliotWorthElliotWorth ✭✭✭

My 5th marathon, just did London in a slightly dissapointing 3:31. Won't be busting a gut on this one as VLM took quite a lot out of me so I'll be happy if I come in under 4 with time to spare.Weather looks like it will be almost the same as VLM, which felt quite warm by the end.

• Options

3:31 is a great time Elliot, i think i'll be lucky to make sub 4h

• Options

Looks like we have a few going for 4hrs, who's going to carry the pacemaker balloon?    

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Sub4 crew...I suggest we meet up before the gun - say at the back entrance to the sports hall, by the playing fields?  Need to agree a strategy if we're running together... 

• Options

I am also aiming to be just under 4hrs as well. This will be my 5th consecutive  Halstead marathon so slowly getting closer to the 262 club image  Just hoping it will be nice a cool on the day.

• Options

Don't get your hope up. I have a feeling that it'll feel warm.

That means two things:

1. Wear minimal gear. No long sleeves, hats, leggings. Reduce that and you'll control your heat better, sweat less and need less hydration.
    2. Increase your hydration expectations. If you need 500ml of liquid in normal weather then increase that a little. Make sure that you're factoring in electrolytes too. Nuun is a great product and there are plenty of others. Focus on getting the right amount of hydration and you'll have a good day.
  • Options

Matt does that mean I should not wear my camera on my head like I did in London then?  Will be videoing it this year so people can see it is not really that hilly like it is said in the myths.  Still waiting for another Halstead Ultra to be organised as well image  Will keep asking each year until someone gives in image

• Options

Camera sounds cool, doubt that'll affect your performance.

Well, I organised the first (and only) Halstead Ultra and next year I'm going to be the Entries Secretary which means I might be able to convince the race director that another Ultra is in order.

If you fancy a ultra this weekend you could just join me on Sunday.... 52 miles of running those lovely undulations.

• Options

Said I would do it last year as well but 05:30am is a bit early for me.  Don't mind a night race though image

Hope eveyone has a good race on Sunday.  Enjoy it!

• Options

Would suggest slow and steady for the 4 hour train and not to go off too quickly. 1.56 half maybe a little quick for the 1st half if you are a borderline 4 hour runner.

Even pace (+/- a minute split) is the way to go.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

I take your point, Sean, and I'm willing to settle on a train with a slightly slower half, but the stats I've looked at are that 3h59 runners suffer a significantly worse positive split than say 3h30 or better runners.  I've worked hard on upping my endurance this year to avoid the death-march (lots of slow aerobic 50+mile weeks and 7 x 20+ milers), but I know I'm going to fade in the heat of the last 10k...with only a minute in the bag I fear I'll miss 4h (again).

• Options

Teknik - what other marathons have you ran (recently?) and your finish times?

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Sean: I've run 5. My first was 2009 Halstead which we won't talk aboutimage. Then Lucca in Italy in 4h39 in Sep 2009 (flat but hot). Then 2010 Halstead again - fixed my half PB of 1h43 in Brentwood then faded to a 4h17. Sep 2011 was Berlin - flat but hot again (24C)..faded to 4h15 after a "sensible" 2h01 halfway.

I admit I'm aerobically challenged...image

• Options

Even pace needs a great deal of confidence and self control.  I think that Teknik's plan is realistic.  Knowing that keeping it low 9's for the last six miles can provide a margin of error that allows a successful sub-4.

• Options

Yes, but going off too quickly will make the last 6.2 miles very difficult!

Stick with me!

Sunday is number 63 for me and 9th of the year (had to drop 4 in April due to injury).

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

I know both of you are fast and multiple marathons a year men, who know a lot more than me (and one of you might need to carry me over the line...). Is the compromise a straight 9mm - 1h58 half, 3h at 20m, leaving the faders a 9.40mm average for the last 10k, (and a superb 3h56 for the stable runners)?

• Options

I would say 9mm is a sensible pace to start with.

Will check tomorrow, but assume the course will come in at around 26.4/26.5 according to GPS. Thefore, 9mm will get you in at around 3.59.

I will be running at 9mm or thereabouts from the off.

Ran at that pace on Sunday gone. I was 652nd fastest on the 1st 10k and 239th fastest on the last 10k - and I ran even pace throughout! Far too many people go off too fast. Discipline. The 1st half should be very very comfortable. It should only start to get difficult in the final 6.2 miles and not before IMHO.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Sean - Halstead is a small race on narrow roads, and the Garmins come in bang on 26.2. I know I ran nearly an extra mile in Berlin, weaving in and out of people who were in the wrong start bin, but that won't happen here...

• Options

Well, the last 2 Halstead's have come in at 26.4 miles on my Polar GPS. image

• Options

In 2010 I got the Halstead course recorded as 26.24 miles image  Garmin 205.

• Options

Also recorded a 3:49 that day and went through halfway in 1:55 image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Sean LOL...I think I'll run the Garmin routeimage