Halstead & Essex Marathon

Comments

• Unreal is exactly it.

Just sorted my water bottles for the stations in case I can get some in and have my kit ready now all I have to do is run the thing image

Looking forward to meeting you all tomorrow

Thank you loftus am off to sleep now so trying to relax image
  • I got tickets for the Olympic Mens 100m final last night so that'll carry me through. I've still to find my kit.. not even sure if it's washed..Haven't ran since the Shakespeare marathon disaster a fortnight ago so hoping it's showery n cool..Off to bed..

• Good luck today everyone, have a great race.

I'm just having breakfast before heading off to the course. I'll be starting at 5:30am and I'll be back to the start line at 9:50am after running a gentle warm up marathon. If you see me please come over and say hi. Always good to meet forumites.

• Matt: how will we recognise you? LOL

MORNING ALL!!! Happy Halstead & Essex Marathon Day...

Good luck everybody, see you all later...
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

morning - what a beautful day! when i set off from home at 7 last year it was already 16 degrees - feel confident today is going ot be more runner friendly!

bring it on!

• Mornin' all.

In the Fens we have bright blue skies and it is very sunny, most definitely a suncream day image

• It's sunny, cool and with a slight breeze here in Tiptree.  No clouds in the sky.

• PSCPSC ✭✭✭

good luck guys - is it always hot and sunny on Halstead Mara weekend.  I'm going to book my hols one year from now.... image

Have fun - it's a lovely course.

• Well that was fun!  Hot and humid in parts, cold and windy in others.  Fantastic organisation as ever, thanks to all marshalls and water station attendants - official and unofficial.  The undulations were as sapping as last year, but the glorious scenery was more than compensation for this.  Lovely bling too (I'm such a medal magpie).

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

wow - brilliant race! So well supported - and such nice marhsalls. and nice fellow runners come to that!

Had a watch malfunction so not 100% sure of time - somewhere around 4h35 I think - faster than London anyway which was the main aim!

how did everyone else get on?

• Well done Gladrags!  It's a fun event for sure and very different to Brighton/London.

According to my Garmin 3.58.19.  Slower than Brighton, but I did quite a tiring trail marathon last weekend, so while the spirit was willing, the legs weren't.

• Wow!  What an exceptionally good event!  I'm not sure I've ever seen such strong organisation...cracking marshals....locals supporting.....great scenery.....absolutely no bad points at all!  What a gem!

Did I mention I pb'd by 8 mins...what a great day.

P.s.  I think it should be law to have an ice cream van at the end of every marathon....great touch.

• ElliotWorthElliotWorth ✭✭✭

Fabulous event! Such slick organisation and the marshalls should know how much their support was appreciated by this runner! No PB here but beat my London time by about 30 seconds so chuffed with that, on a much more challenging course. Lots of great touches that they have obviously picked up and put into practice over the years. 

• Have to agree the event and organisation excellent. Have very sore legs but support by fab family and friends at the cross over point made my first marathon very worthwhile and a great medal to prove it!
  • Such a well organised and friendly event. Great encouragement from the marshalls and the personalised drinks were a nice touch - even if I never want to have a sports drink ever again. Chuffed with my PB (5 minutes faster than Paris 4 weeks ago and 4 minutes faster than Milton Keynes). Will almost certainly be back.
  • Have to agree on the sports drinks and ice cream van a great touch but couldn't face one at the end!
  • Loved every moment of it. my legs are killing me, my head sun burnt, but it was worth it. my first ever marathon, and i managed to cross the line at 3:42, chuffed to bits.

Have to agree with all the above, the organisation was amazing, the marshalls were outstanding, the crowds were fantastic and the drinks stations were brilliant.

The hills were harder than i expected, but then whole setting more than made up for it.

Loved it, loved it, loved it. will be back next year for sure.

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

yup -just inspected shoulders - bright red!!

well done halstead road runners - great day!

• Well, the 4 hour bus came in at 3.56 dead with only the driver on board!image

1.58.41 1st half and 1.57.19 2nd half. Negative split by 1 min 22 seconds. image

Well marshaled, good drinks station and some very enthusiastic supporters who were going round and round the course!

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    Well done Sean. I lost you at mile 17 where I threw up...went downhill from there and limped home with cramp in 4.11. Thanks for trying...what happened to young Steve?
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    My autistic son has just broken my Halstead marathon medal imageimage

Now his screaming the bloody house down image
  • I was in front of the bus, then behind it, then saw it disappear into the distance - well done Sean - very good running in glorious sunshine!!! And well done matt - very impressive to take on those hills (sorry I mean undulations) twice!! Excellent marathon, lovely people, brilliant organisation, and kids giving out milky ways!!

• Gladrags - were you the lady in pink with the Garmin malfunction?

• Unlucky, it was pretty tough out there. Pace wise the 1st half was spot on, maybe a little too quick 2nd half but a negative is always nice! Hit mile 20 at about 3.00.20 so was pretty much on the money.

He finished in around 4.01.xx on the race clock, so I expect he has managed to bag a 3.59.xx chip time.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
  • From the Race Director Keith Thorogood

Thanks for all your comments they are appreciated  by the Team

If the lady with the broken medal wants a new one contact me

Well done to all

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Keith,

I've emailed you.
  • What a great day. Epic run and really enjoyed it.

First marathon was a solid 4:18 and the second one was 4:33. Very happy with that as the combined time was well under my aspirational goal of going under 9 hours.

Full results are now available online:

http://halsteadroadrunners.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2074

Please take the time to put in a race review it and rate our event. Runners World produce a league table of races based on these and we'd love to see our position in that table improve.

I saw something I'd hoped never to see on our course today. Towards the 25 mile mark I came round a corner and saw an ambulance in the middle of the road and the air ambulance helicopter parked in a field next to it. My heart almost missed a beat and I ran over to find out what had happened. I was very happy to hear that the runner who was having difficulties looked to be on the mend and was fine. I was utterly impressed with the response of the emergency services and it's nice to know when we do get into difficulties undertaking our sport that they are there.

• Well, what an event! Superbly marshalled and organised, def surpassed the hype. The crowd were fantastic and such a friendly atmosphere. Big thanks to the girls with the pom poms, cheering us on! They helped big time.

I have to thank Glen (sorry no surname - day glo running kit) for his advice and getting me round first 13 miles. Biggest thanks to Fi Hawkins for bullying me back into running when I had stopped to walk from 16 miles. Without her and the brilliant support I wouldn't have made it.

Cant recommend the event highly enough, and well done to all!!

• Have to echo everyone else and say thanks to the organisers, absolutely flawless. And thanks to the supporters for more sweties than I'd probably eat in a whole year outside marathons, and the loud noise which is always welcome. I particularly remember the group of girls of which one girl had the pom poms as being very effective.

My time was 3:59.24 which I am very happy with. That's an understatement, I'm buzzing. First time under 4. I fell off the sub 4 train at about 18, and was hanging on to the coat tails until I lost Sean from view at about 20. Then the hills started hurting, And I almost gave up on time at points but just knew I couldn't walk. I never would have managed without Sean and Nick getting us those early 9 minute miles, so thanks guys.

I felt awful afterwards, not helped by 4 hours in the car with the sun in my eyes. But I miraculously recovered when the results were posted online, Congrats to all for taking part and I definitely plan to come back next year,