Halstead & Essex Marathon

Comments

• Thanks again HRR, my 4th time here and I'll be deffo back again next year.

My sub-4 ambitions crashed and burned at 21 but I still managed to struggle home with a PB. Today I feel like I've been beaten up from the waist down. It's worth it

Great organisation, great marshalls, and great spectators (especially the guy on the main street that stretched my cramped leg and helped me to my feet, I couldn't have finised without him!)

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Derpa /Steve...well done for sticking to it. It took a lot of mental toughness to hang on to the pace after losing Sean, so you should be proud of yourselfimage.

I'm in a slightly better mood now. Keith / Matt please pass on my thanks to all the HRR team for another excellent event.

• Thanks to everyone at Halstead for one of the best days running ever.

Easily one of the best events I've ever run.  Loved every minute of it.  I can see what all the fuss is about. 

Thanks to the organisers, marshalls, supporters, baggage girls (and guys), drinks stationers, photographers and ice cream sellers.

Well done!

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

I saw the helicopter too image - but one of the marshalls (Andrew?) ran alongside me for a while and assured me it was all ok and the bloke wasn't going to hospital.

Matt - you must have been just ahead of me? Brilliant result for you!

Have rated the race - reckon it's my best one yet!

• Loved the course although I did have a bit of. Mental breakdown N wanted to quit before half way as not used to running on my own was on target for 5;40 until I got to 22 miles wish I had done so many things differently but will be back next year
  • Another superbly organised run by HRR. I had my slowest outing yet in my 18 times round this course and I'm even more impressed with the race.  I finished 4 off the tail and nearly an hour after the official cut-off time. I still received full attention and encouragement from the marshals, and drinks stations were fully operative. Excellent.

I hope to be back next year for Halstead Number 19 D.V.

Well done Amanda on completing yesterday. I am sure you made the right decision to carry on to the end. Take it easy now and keep your energy for Auld Reekie (Edinburgh). Good luck there. Stick at it you'll beat mum one day!!!

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Amanda - was you wearing a blue vest?
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Peter - congratulation on no.18. Yesterday was my 18th marathon.
  • Gladrags: Thanks. Don't feel too bad today either. Still a little tired but then getting up at 3am and running for almost 9 hours tends to do that. Legs are ok though. I took great care to ensure I very carefully measured out the effort. Didn't beat my legs up at all really.

• Wow... What can I say, superb race, challenging course with "undulations" superb organisation (water stations, baggage store, showers, excellent support, sweeties, locals, this is how they should be done. Some of the BIG race should come to Halstead to see how it's done... AND cheap as chips (less than pound a mile, they'll put the p[rice up now LOL!!!)... And a PB!! Well done everyone and look forward to next time...

• my first marathon, thought id prepared enough but hadnt! pleased to get under 5hrs(4;59.13!!). worn out but thoroughly enjoyed it and thanks to ALL involved at halstead. excellent organisation and so friendly. no problem with 'hills'. if people like a challenge, try lowestoft scores race later in year!

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

[waves at Gladrags and Lemmy]

And is the Tiptree lady on here who complimented me on my steady pace and then motored steadily past me in the last few miles when I was dead on my feet? Well done that woman! (I had to laugh)

• Thank you Peter am so pleased I carried on, it seemed easier in the second loop it was just getting around the first that did me in as I am not at all used to running on my own - I will practice more of that for next year - yes I did say next year already - haha

And Tracey yes I was wearing a blue vest with enjoy your pain you've earned it on the back image

My shoulders and face are so sunburnt it is ridiculous - note to self remember sun cream next year

• Well done Matt, that's a really brilliant time. Thanks for the update on the runner that went down at 25 as well, he collapsed about 20 feet in front of me and was being helped by other runners by the time I got there.  Glad to hear he is OK.

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

legs feel fine today image - so am still left wondering whether i could have pushed a little harder and got that sub 4h30..... exactly what happened this time 3 weeks ago after London.....

• Wow mega well done to everyone who ran. I'm a keen runner and have done London marathon before, But am not at that level at the mo. I'm doing the Great North Run in sept so i'll get there... Hopefuly :0), I live in spiting distance of the start/finish in Halstead so i was clapping you all on and nearly crying at some points. I run nearlly everyday that 1st hill you took so i no were you went. Everyone is so positive. should i  give it a go next year... I could have a big sleep over the night before for the runners!!!

Amanda, well done. i'll be with you next year and we can do 4.30.... what do you think?  Nice to here you like our lil town. :0) 

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Amanda - Jenny from my club that was doing Fetch Point said you said that you wanted to pull out at half way. You were just finishing when we were walking back to her car.

You did brilliant image Halstead is a tough course. Where your medal with pride.
  • Rosemary Close 4: Thanks.

FYI - Updated results have now been uploaded to the website.

• Hayley - I am not sure I could do 4:30 but if I am up to it by then I am 100% with you - to be honest I would like to get under 5:15 next year - am going to work on hill reps in advance and concentrate on speed work as I have to admit I haven't done much of that and don't really know where to start with it.

Tracey - thank you - your right i was ready to pull out was in tears and having a bit of a flakey moment - I am not used to running on my own and just felt fed up but the wonderful marshalls got me through it and the support at the Fetch point was excellent I felt like a celebrity running through there image

• Great race and great organisation. Congratulations to everyone that made it. (I felt like quitting too - I think it is was partly the weather and partly the course - why run when you could sunbathe in one of those lovely fields?!)

Also, any spectators - sorry if the grumpy runner in the blue vest blanked you. It was nothing personal, I just get tunnel vision and still really appreciated the support!

• (Waves to Fido)

(Waves to Tracey G)

(Waves to Amanda - Excellent Spirit there...)

(Waves to EVERYONE WHO DID HALSTEAD, SUPPORTED, MARSHALLED, HELPED & ORGANIZED)

Anyone else still buzzing from this? Walked dogs Sunday evening, am/pm Monday and this morning and legs doing OK. Thanks again HRR and see you all out there...

• thank you image I just wish next year would hurry up so i could try again - have edinburgh marahton in 2 weeks though so am looking forward to that just to try and get a better time.

Loved this one though will be recommending it to the club

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Amanda - now you know you can run a marathon all by yourself image

Lemmy - lots of long dog walks this week. Hope they both behave themselves and see you at club next week.
  • One for the organisers.....how about tech t-shirts instead of cotton ones next year?

So many events are doing them now (Marathon of the North, Mablethorpe, Abingdon, South Downs, New Forest, Trionium Greensands to name a few)

• Hi everyone - im amanda's mum!  I managed to finish in 5.34 despite having an IT band injury so very very pleased.  Maybe next time I can do it a bit quicker although must practice more hills or undulations as Matt put it!!! The weather was fab (got a sunburned head!), the marshals were amazing, (thank you for saving me a mini mars bar) and the cheering point was excellent.  Its the first time ive run so far on my own but the scenery was beautiful and I never missed my ipod for a minute !! Very well organised, will definitely be back next year image

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Carol - well done image
  • Hi all, well done to all those that competed in the Halstead and Essex, I was unfortunately crocked by a chesty cough / cold, couldn't risk competing... I am desperate to use all of my training however, and am looking for any marathon's within say 50 miles of Colchester in Essex, or Hythe in Kent, any ideas? I am hoping there may be some local races that are not online, looking for something in say 2-6 weeks time so I can get another long training run in before the race. Any ideas? Thanks Ash

• Ash...

Kent Road Runner - Multiple laps of a cycle track, I've heard good things about it...

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/viewevent.asp?sp=&v=2&EN=68904&ms=

The Picnic - HARD AS NAILS!!!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/viewevent.asp?sp=&v=2&EN=68347&ms=