Brighton Half Marathon

Comments

• That must be a very large costume

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Whoever pays that will be enough of a nut without needing a costume! image
  • Hello All

Yes I am in and it should be my 1st half of the year, looking forward to coming down, stopping over night and going to go home on the train all smelly!! (might get a coach to ourselves hehehe)

Sussex Runner like the idea of hiding behind someone else if it gets a little windy ;o)

£75 ouch!

How is everyones training going on?

• Wow! There are a few of us running the full on here! First full for me so a little scare but looking forward to Brighton half first image Trying to stay fit over the winter months, so running Bedford half in a few weeks time and thinking about running a half on new years day then Brighton Half is the next one, can't wait. Hope everyone training are going well!

• I'm doing the half in Feb, also doing the Brighton Marathon in April. I'm fully prepared for the freezing weather ... although I ran Brooks 10km last weekend and it was gorgeous. Clear, crisp and sunny (by contrast, it was freezing when I left home at stupid o'clock that morning and London was covered in swirling fog). 

I can't wait image

• Hi all, I'll be running Brighton Half next year as a warmup for the Brighton marathon in april.

• I'm in. Will be my 4th Half. Just did the Norwich Half last weekend (which incidentally is a brilliant flat course and very well organised).

Did the Brighton 10Km 2 weeks back and loved the flat course(!) and perfect running conditions. Hoping for the same come February.

Training in Dec/Jan will be tough although we've been lucky with a mild November!

Good luck all!
  • I'm doing this again - did it last year, and just missed out on 1hr 50, so am really hoping to get under that this time round.....
  • Brought my train tickets yesterday; what a bargin! £107 for two people Stoke to London, London to Brighton and back again (and that is with a 1st upgrade on the way back)!!

I just hope they don't throw us off for stinking up the place!!!

• Brighton will be my first half mara  image Also ran the Brooks 10k a couple of weeks ago (and 5/6 years ago) so have a vague idea what I've let myself in for running on the seafront !!

Training is going ok at the mo - am currently running twice a week at lunchtimes from the office plus two longer runs at the weekend, so am hopeful I'll get round ok at least...

I live in Sussex so wasn't planning on staying in Brighton the night before, but it sounds like I'll need to be down there pretty early ?? Anyone have any ideas how early from last year please ??

• Anyone have a place they don't want? Id quite like to do it and didn't realise £75 quid are only places left eek. Not paying that!!!
  • Hi Ejs

I have a place that I am not going to be using anymore. Please message me if you are still interested. I am not sure about the substitution process?

• Hi Warren,

For some reason I cant Send you a private message but am definitely interested in the place.  Can you message me so I can reply? 

Thanks

EJS

• Hi EJS

I sent you a message. Let me know if you don't get it.

Thanks

• Hi there
    This will be my first Half. I'm a Brighton resident and I am familiar with the seafront and absolutely love it! What a treat to be able to run in such an interesting and beautiful environment.
    So far in my running career I've done 10k in an hour, that was the British 10k in London last summer - it was so exciting!
    I'm not a fast runner and just hope to get round.
    A problem which usually holds me back from progressing has happened again, an infernal upset stomach. I have recently given up meat and am eating much more healthily but still find myself hit. What a bore. I am following the Just Get Round plan from December's Runner's World and am due to run for 40 minutes today with some easy/hard minutes. I'll just have to eat some eggs and go out this evening if I feel better image.
    Anyway, I love running. I started when I was 40, nearly 5 years ago, and could only run for 1 minute. Still a tubby bitch but I am strong and that makes me extremely happy!
    Cheers for reading,
    Happy New Year!
    Emma
    xx
  • Hi Emma,

Good lucki for your run. I only started a couple of years ago and this year is the first that I have been running regularly. Sounds like I am a similar pace to you. I did the Brighton 10k back in November - quite a nice course. I am down to run the half but looks like I am going to have to pull out due to a dodgy hamstring. Oh well, always next year !

Good luck on the day !

• Thanks very much for your response Skippy.
    I had a few injuries when I started out but since I've been running in 'barefoot' style shoes, ie no spring in the heel, just a really simple flat shoe, I haven't had any injuries. Just the funny tummy and I can't put that down to the footwear!
    I found that I run in a different, more cautious, way, and I think that must be why I don't have the injuries. I was surprised how well it's worked, and what's more I've had the same shoes for 18 months. They can't get the bounce squashed out of them cos there's none there in the first place!
    I hope your hamstring heals. Is it a time issue or do you have to do other exercises to compensate?
    Emma
  • Hi Emma, I think it's a time issue. Have been having physio etc, but it really starts kicking in after 7 miles, so don't think I will be able to do the distance. Still, always another day !
  • Well, keep your spirits upimage. I just went for a lovely run in the rain but I'm so slow it's crackers! I did a split time thing with 10 easy, 2 hard 3 easy x 4 and then 10 more easy. It was a good challenge for me and I found the whole run went quite quickly due to all the mental admin required. I get tangled up with the cable to my music and my gloves and sleeves so it's all go and makes the time pass quickly! As long as I don't actually creak to a halt I'm satisfied.
  • I'm in for the first time !! Have done Great North 5 times and Bath half !!
    I've done some 10 kms along the Sussex coast so I've experienced the hellish headwinds that can make you feel like you're carrying a lot of extra weight!!
    I'm not expecting great weather but once you start running it never matters !!
    What time should I arrive ? How is the start organised ? Pens ?
    Really looking forward to the race , just hoping my old lady bones keep going !?!? Xxx
  • Hello Liz
    I like the sound of your experiences. I had a look at your reviews of the races you've done, and The Great North Run reviews were exceptional! You made it sound magical!
    Well, I'm trying to get ready for the Brighton Half and am right now wondering whether I can go out tonight after a bad night's sleep and a twelve hour day (unusual for me), and it's flippin' foul out there!
    Watching Fat Fighters may inspire me hee hee...
    Do you live near Brighton? Sounds like you may do having done some of our Southern runs
    Have a nice evening anyway, I'm going to put my running gear on.
    Emma
  • Did it - wow what a windy night! Felt a big improvement in my speed going east, then turned round and BANG! Ouchy hard wind in face.
  • Hi Skippy,

If you are unable to run I have a friend who is after a place.  I am hoping to be transferred Warrens place from above in the thread so please message me if you cannot run and are willing to transfer the place officially.

Thanks

Ejs

PS Emma - good luck for your runs!

• Hi Ejs,

I am not gonna be ready for it in time, so am happy to transfer it. Can it still be transferred ? I thought that they were supposed to be preparing and sending out packs from mid-december ?

PM me with details etc and we'll see what we can do. In the meantime i'll try and contact the organisers

• Cant Pm you - think its your settings? my email is my user name at live.co.uk

Deffo want the place tho! Warren has said they are still transferring as im going to have his place and only asked before ny?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Ejs

• woops ! Just changed my settings ! But I have sent you an email. I have also mailed the Brighton people to get them to send me a form and pass on any other details we need to know etc
  • If anyone else has a spare place I would be. Most appreciative and willing to pay at minimum the original cost.

I am raising money for Great Ormond Street Hospital for the full marathon, and would rather also contribute to them for the half rather than to the remaining charity spaces available.

Many thanks
  • thanks skippy I will read tonight!

EJS

• Hi Ejs - I had to send a second chaser email to race management as they have not yet got back to me. I suppose whoever can get them to respond first out of Skippy and I can give you the place and the runner up can give CPT their place.