The Spine

1414243444547»

Comments

• JazzijJazzij ✭✭✭

Yay, what an achievement  99:25:36

• Great pacing, let the others go out ahead and just kept going at his own pace.

• Wow- and to think that the others are still going on into another night! I have to say I was a bit anxious about the speed with which the winner lost conciousness0 hopefully someone medical was checking on him!

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I've found this event and the coverage of it utterly inspiring.  The summer version has been added to my bucket list.  I would imagine considerably faster times so I will struggle to keep up but I've got to try.

I'm in the Skipton area about 5 miles form the Pennine Way at the moment visiting friends and I'll be off out in the morning to reach the PW from my friend's house to do some of it, but it will only be a miserable 8 miles ...

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Sean has started out on the last leg and is probably on his last legs.

C,mon, Sean, one foot in front of the other.  Only another 12 or so hours to go!  No detours up The Cheviot!!

• He's done it- Well done Sean! Still about 20 or so out there, though. It seems like ages since the leaders finished- I wonder if they hang around at the end, or whether they are all home , resting up by now?

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Pity about those 6 back markers picked in the night only 2-3 miles from Bellingham. ROs could have let them all get there under their own steam.  I suppose they were timed out?

Top bloke, Sean.  Are you the one in specs in the video, or is that Christophe?  And which one of you was the sweary one?!

They should move all those parked cars in front of the wall - one final and difficult obstacle ...

• Those last few folk must have been really sweating on making the cut-oo, thankfully the RO has been merciful, and let the last guy be classified as finished, despite missing the cut off by 6 minutes. I am enjoying all the clips showing various foot problems!

Well done to all of them, runners and organisers alike.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I did 8 miles of the PW yesterday and found it very damp underfoot. To think of enduring those conditions for another 260 defies belief!  

Right, which race to follow next ...

• tricialitt wrote (see)

Those last few folk must have been really sweating on making the cut-oo, thankfully the RO has been merciful, and let the last guy be classified as finished, despite missing the cut off by 6 minutes.

No, the cut-off was 8.36am this morning, so all of the finishers were well inside it (which, IMHO, is partly due to the overly tight new cut-off at Byrness).

• Difficult - that was.
  • Ah- thanks for correcting me, an.

Sean - that's the shortest race report  I have ever seen for a long race!

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Sean - take it easy and put your feet up if you can.  Hope no serious injuries!  We'd be interested to read a report or have a link to a blog if you do one.

The Summit Fever Media videos capture all the drama brilliantly.  I found episode 7 the most moving with coverage of the three leaders finishing. They were all utterly spent.  There's something about Pavel that generates enormous empathy - his lumbering, bear-like gait. his facial expressions and suffering.  He looks ill-prepared but is clearly very talented.

And in every shot he is always carrying his poles instead of using them.

• Sorry, that was flippant. I'm still a bit achey but managed a 2.5mile run with the dog this morning and heading out later tonight to do the same.

I haven't got any injuries as such other than that I appear to have a bit of nerve damage to my toes (I've had this before) and my right achilles seems to be a half inch wider than it usually is but, weirdly, no associated pain or crepitus. 

Absolutely cracking event to be part of, although I did bleat all through day two as the route is fantastically boring until you reach Malham Cove.  After Malham it's a canny route and I really enjoyed it.  There wasn't the snowmagedon that I hoped for but I was happy to tap out the miles in the relative dry air but absolutely sodden underfoot conditions. 

I loved all the checkpoint admin, the sleep strategies, the kit selection and learnt loads for next time.  I'd never been on the Pennine way before, or experienced any of the Spine weekends so it was a real experience that should help me if I decide to crack it again.

• .....................so there's going to be a next time?- that's good! Recover well.