Options

I thought everyone was skint?

In times of austerity is there a place for expensive running gear?
My eye was caught by the advert on the landing page.
www.ashmei.com
With the world in financial turmoil, people losing jobs etc. Who buys really expensive running gear like those on the ashmei website?
How much better is it compared to Gore or Nike or say Ron Hill?
I mean £180 for a jacket to run in is very steep innit?

Comments

• Options
    Those who haven't lost their jobs yet.....it also would depend on quality........i would only buy one jacket and expect it to last for over 10 years at least....( I wouldn't spend that much either)....it would never spend that if it was a fashion item.........
  • Options

There is always a place for it, there are always people who can afford it.  Besides, Ashmei give you free delivery if you spend over £150.00 - bargain image.

Actually, I agree with seren.  My mountaineering jacket cost a lot of money but the way i look at it it will last 10 - 15 years.  So to justify it, I look at it as giving me loads of pleasure and service at a cost of £x pounds per year.

A running jacket though? No way.  I've not looked at it but if it's claiming to be waterproof it won't be worth the money....and if it's not - you might as well pay £35 for a decent windproof jacket IMHO.

• Options
    I purchased a berghause ruck sack a year before my youngest son was born,I paid a lot of money for it then and it is still in regular use 25 years later.So buy the best you can, if you can afford it.
  • Options
    I looked at the jacket the other week.  Looks pretty cool but no way I would pay that for a running jacket that would be too whiffy after a few years to use.  Cold weather and protective sports gear needs that sort of money upwards but not running.  But there must be folks that at willing to pay the premium.  I'd happily pay that and more for a good coat if I had the money though.
  • Options
    Paid just under £400 for a single item of clothing before, still wearing it.
  • Options
    Probably targeting the triathlete market image

To be honest it looks like a good business - if you take labels like Assos or Rapha in cycling there's definitely a market for top quality kit at a premium price.
  • Options
    if you look at the quality of that jacket, the construction of it, the materials I can understand why it's £180 - plus they will have a much smaller production run than the likes of Gore etc, so that will also add to the cost.

whether you need a) a jacket to run in, or b) need to spend £180 on one to do so, are questions that can only be answered by likely buyers.

as others have said, quality kit will last years and continue to function - cheap stuff won't generally
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Poor people can't afford to buy rubbish.
    Actually this quote came from a materials scientist when discussing the virtues of quality non-stick frying pans. In simple terms the pan that costs twice as much lasts 5 times as long. Applies to all quality items and; if you happen to have an investment mentality, it will work out cheaper in the long run. Though it should be noted that the cheapest option is not buying anything.

🙂

• Options
    every one is expect top bosses in firms, bankers and the goverment
  • Options
    Compo - not all bankers get paid a fortune. The folk on the counter of your local branch are likely to be earning under £25k, the branch manager around £30k.

The bankers who earn the stupidly large sums are traders and other investment bankers, and are a very small percentage of the banking world.
  • Options

AllNew I don't tend to think of Bankers as those working in the branches- I doubt many do. Its the people charging around Liverpool St/Canary Wharf and the surrounding areas, never seen on public transport (aside from a black-taxi) and you really don't want to go anywhere near an expensive bar or club after hours, its sickening.

I do think they are still being paid if the amounts of champaigne on tap they go through is anything to go by...(that and all the designer shops popping up around Bank, St Pauls and so on). They may well have pay cuts, but I dount that would affect their Waitrose bill.

• Options

agree with Jennn.

I must admit I do laugh when someone refers to a societal issue and in a way poo poos it by refering to individual casesimage Fred down the road or you spending £400 on a kit proves nothing -lol

When folk generally talk of "the bankers" it is the big corporate traders and investment bankers who are screwing us all and pulling the strings of politicians (to get a full picture on how they are screwing us watch The Keiser Report on RT NEWS).  Many folk don't know the 1/2 of it.

Counter staff are the same as the rest of us (part of the 99%) and are getting just as screwed.

• Options
    Jenn + Stu - that's the point I was trying to make. By saying 'bankers earn a fortune' you're not taking into consideration that most bankers aren't in the investment banks and therefore don't earn a fortune. I was a banker until I was made redundant in May. I didn't earn a fortune, but I did have to put up with people lumping me in with the investment banking community. I also worked in Canary Wharf and had to experience them close up and personal every day.
  • Options

AN some people just find it a lot easier to lump everyone into one big category to blame and fingerpoint instead of getting their heads around the fact that there are huge beneficiaries in ANY work environment.

Just look at director level incomes of charities of chief executive incomes in Local Authorities...  My Chief Exec earns considerably more than the prime minister...  his final salary pension is going to be very cushy indeed...

• Options
    ex-metro wrote (see)
    Poor people can't afford to buy rubbish.
    Actually this quote came from a materials scientist when discussing the virtues of quality non-stick frying pans. In simple terms the pan that costs twice as much lasts 5 times as long. Applies to all quality items and; if you happen to have an investment mentality, it will work out cheaper in the long run. Though it should be noted that the cheapest option is not buying anything.
    I learnt that with knickers a long time ago. I used to buy cheap knickers and not worry, then I found I really like Sloggi, started to buy them and for the cost they work out as value for money. Unfortunately it does mean that I can't keep buying new knickers anymore.
  • Options

Agree with Nam that there are huge beneficiaries in many work environments. There is, of course, a need for caution when lumping folk together under, for example, a banner of "bankers" . The top 1% that includes banking chiefs and big corporation chiefs are screwing the rest of us and actually control the country/world. It does do to identify as full as possible who gets a disproportionate amount of wealth and who dodges tax and cooks the books when the rest of us are told to tighten our belts etc (actually this system depends on us consuming rather than buying wisely and belt tightening but that is another issue). We do live in a particular economic system where social divides have increased between the top 1% and the rest  and one that is on self destruct mode . Guess what, the top 1% will not suffer like the rest of us. I am not advocating communism neither just a new way perhaps. The sooner current "isms" are "wasms"  and we recognise we cannot go on like we did the better. It is useful to look in terms of institutions and systems when looking at this matter.

• Options
    Thanks Nam, I obviously was being as clear as mud earlier.
  • Options
    ALLNEW - I do accept your very valid point about lumping all bankers together. It is the global banking chiefs/ top bankers and big corps that are the problem. Sure many in the industry earn relatively modest amounts. When the occupy movement, for example, talk about "bankers" they are refering to the top 1%  not all in the banking industry. Max Keiser was in the banking business himself and he knows the real score. He is worth listening toon the matter.
  • Options

I could go on and on about this, the whole banking / commodities market is immoral, hedge funds can make money on a falling market and can and do at time force markets down to make money. But is it fair to blame the bankers / dealers? After all they saw a opportunity and used it to their own advantage.

Capitalism is a flawed system but probably preferable to most of the alternatives. I do wonder how many would turn down the chance to earn mega bucks by being a investment banker.

Getting back to the original question, as Pop says above 180 squid is relatively small beer to the tri market where a lot of folks ride bikes costing over 3 grand, IM entry fees are over 500 quid and so it goes on.

• Options

I can understand that 180Pounds on a Running Jacket seems a lot in comparison of what is out there, but if I remember correctly Gore Running also has a Jacket available that retails around 200Pounds.

The difference between Ashmei and other Running Brands are out there, is that Ashmei decided from the outset to make the best Softshell Jacket out there (not waterproof fully, waterproof and windproof on the front only). Most running brands make a softshell jacket and then strip away much of the good features to hit a specific price mark. Ashmei decided to simply go for the best potential without losing the best features, with retail price not dominating the choice of fabric and technology.

It is defintley an interesting piece of kit, and I m sure that there is market out there, with runners wanting quality piece of kit that last longer than just one season. I think if you spend that kind of money you expect and would want to use the item for a long time.

p.s. Disclaimer: I don't work for Ashmei, but I do work for a store that stocks Ashmei, but hopefully my comments above was neutral and fair enough.

• Options
    It's not the price of running kit that bothers me but more so the entry fees for a lot of races these days.I recently was interested in entering the Bath half but at £39 it just ain't worth it so i've give it a miss.Gone are the days of turning up on a sunday morning & regularly entering a event, now due to the cost of the whole day it's become a luxury.
  • Options
    I do most races in west Yorkshire as are cheaper then ones in Lancs
  • Options
    Totally agree about the price of some races. I looked the other day at the Great South Run for next year and it now £40 for 10 miles. I will probably still enter it but will begrudge having to pay that sort of money.
  • Options
    well I am doing a 20 mile race near Huddersfield in March and it will cost me £14 on the same day there is another 20 in the lancs area at £25