Smoking... It's not good.

Comments

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Muttley: point noted and taken in the manner intended.

Thanks for the advice, appriciate it.
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Andy, been three weeks. No lapse or relapse!!! Got tempted, but didn't go there.

Was shocked at having a lung function and VO2 max test at the weekend and the Dr not being able tell that I've ever smoked!!!!
  • All my PB's from 5km up to marathon belong to my days as a smoker !

7 years this next year...

Walked to the office on a Friday morning I stood outside in the pouring rain and though you pratt getting wet to smoke something thats killing you... Chucked the rest of the packet in the bin and haven't touched one since, no nrt or sweeties...

... that said sometimes when I'm watching tv or a film and someone lights up, I can taste it !!!

• Its surprising how quick your lungs start working properly again when you give up.
    I remember having my lung function and VO2 test,doc reckoned I was still avin an occasional ciggie but I was taking in smoke from the wifes fags and she hardly smokes,passive smoking sucks!!.
    Onwards and upwards mate,your doing well
  • .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Well done Bo,

I dont know how I've managed it, but I have completely quit now! yey!

I was a secret smoker and went to stay and work with family who are massively anti-smoking, literally if I had carried on smoking I would have been blasted with comments for 10 years or so.

So I bought some Nicorette step 2 patches and used them for a week.starting Monday 12th December. they were better than previous patches I had tried and REALLY helped to cut cravings down. when I was stressed after work I went running! Then I ran out of patches and went cold turkey. That was Monday this week! between 48-72 hours in I was fairly crazy and at 48 hours in I had a 2mg nicotine chewing gum, but now feel I have broke the back of it, so to speak.

I have already noticed a significant difference when running, which is really spurring me on not to go back too smoking! I didnt think I would as im no slouch running (29:20 5m in 2011 on 15 rollups/day for 5 years) so though smoking hadnt been affecting me, but I was wrong. 2012 is going to be a fast one, for sure.

I just had to come here and write about it because my girlfriend is still smoking and doesnt really give any help or support and wont let me talk about it! so just had to write it down and get it off my chest. no pun intended. Thanks for reading. Will update after New year.

Have a good one.

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Dave: know what you mean about tasting them when on tv or films and that sense of going out in the rain and cold to smoke. WTF was I thinking???

Thanks Andy, I was really shocked to be honest. Bloody lucky too.

Seb: nice one fella. Have to be honest, it's hard when people close to you still doing something your trying to give up. Keep going buddy. Read that it's three days till nicotine is out of your system, I struggle with he habit side of it. Getting there though. If you need write stuff down, think the peps on here are happy to listen. I am and well done.
  • Hi Bo

I've been following this thread as like you at the beginning of the year I was quit a large lump and then got into excercise and then running.  I also smoke and have been trying to quit.  What finally made you stop and Seb from Rugby that time improvement is incredible.

Twinkle

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Twinkle: welcome! Thanks for posting, firstly: we'll done. How good does it feel to get active? What's your story? What changed?

I'm trying to quit because I want to run a marathon... and I've put myself forward to do it in a public arena. I wan to be able to run without havIng to worry about breathing or my lungs. And I want to spend the money on something else. But do tell more about you.
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Twinkle: Had a look at your past posts. What can I say??? Well done and max respect.
    Its not easy to bite that bullet and do something, I've been putting it off for years. You know that feeling about not wanting it because it's going to get in the way? That's why I'm not smoking any more. Bring on Paris!!!
  • Bo

hows the quit going? How are you handling the craving over the christmas period? I notice you haven't posted for a couple of days.

Twinkle

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Hi Twinkle,

Was OK over Christmas period... Just, had a little too much to drink yesterday and was very tempted to get myself a big old cigar. But managed to resist...

What about you???
  • I m still smoking but this thread has kicked into my conscieness about the smoking.  I lost weight and started excercies and a few races in 2011 and now nearly a year has passed  weight is under control. I know its the right time to quit this discusting habit as my next challenge, which will also help with my ploding.  I am going to comit to this on January the 1st as from midnight.  There I've typed it on a national forum. 

It also made me laugh at the comment about (fecking get on with it) that about somes it up.  Its time I got on with it instead of just talking and thinking about it.

Deep respect for getting through Christmas Day without a cigerette. 

Twinkle

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Respect. Commitment made and good luck.. Don't think about it as quiting, but deciding not to have that fag... If you can get the weight off, start exercising and controlling that; you can beat the smokes...

Thanks, I was hammered... Far too much sherry...and wine... and port... Back on the wagon.
  • hey guys!!

I finally quit yesterday so fingers crossed I'll be able to manage it this time!!

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    VikW: Well done! Good to have you on the path to healthy, richer living.

Bring on the 'ex-smoker self-righteousness'... image
  • VicW

Hows your quit going? Good luck if your going out tonight  Bo I didn't realise you were one of the Asics six good luck with your training and your quit

Twinkle

• bo, twinkle, vic and fellow quitters.  I need help, I quit for 6 months but over the christmas period had a bit of a relapse.  Used to smoke 20+ a day and I am having now the odd one here and there but it has to stop.  Not got out running as much as i would have liked over the past month or so but starting seriously again today.  I find it helps to talk about quitting but conscious i'm doing my missus' head on banging on about it all the time so hear I am.  Hope you dont mind....keep up the good work everyone!  
  • Hi Nick this is day 2  it is not easy I have just come  back from my first post run quit, i thought it would be a good run.  It was as bad as the very first time I managed to go at 8.5 on the treadmill.  It has taken me 48minutes to go 4.8k I haven't got a cold but something(leave that to your imagination) is coming out of my lungs and nose and I was coughing. My husband said (non smoker) I'M going to feel a whole lot worse before I feel better,but I didn't expect to have this much rubbish coming off my chest after only 37hours .  I know there are other forums for people who are trying to stop smoking but this thread is really good as it goes with the running and at some stage it must get a little easier. 

This is a really good thread that Bo started it will be my source of support when the going gets tough

Bo and Vik are you still not smoking?

Twinkle

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Hi guys.

Nick: have you heard of the 'cycle of change'? It's a theory of behaviour change that basically works like this: when we don't want to stop we are in pre-contemplation, then we move to consideration, then action and the into maintaince. Every so often we lapse and maybe relapse into the previous behaviour. The trick is to figure out what triggered the lapse (or relapse) so we can plan better for the next time we get back into action and maintaince. The general theme is that we keep going round till we get off.

http://addictions.about.com/od/addictiontreatment/ss/The-Stages-Of-Change-Model-In-Addiction-Treatment.htm

Was originally used for smoking and now used for any problematic behaviour. The trick is to find the motivation to keep getting back into action and motivation. Spot the fella who used to be an addiction councillor...

Twinkle: I had that the first and second time I tried... Felt like having the flu... 72 hours and everything was fine. When you start to feel better your taste buds will be back and your sense of smell will return. Maybe eat or drink something really tasty as a reward... Personally, I like red wine, but whatever floats your boat mate.

I'm still off at the moment, sucking the NRT on a regular basis, but that's reducing... Fingers crossed... 2012 gonna be smoke free!
  • Hi All,

So pleased I've found a forum for Smokers/Ex who run, I've been running about 6 months and completed my first 10k in early dec in 1.01 and that was on 20+ roll ups a day.

Well, today is my first day as non smoker, not too bad so far.  Got a patch on and no major cravings so far.  Found all of the posts on here really helpful.

Best of luck to you all

• well done to everyone,it really will change your lives,dig deep
  • 10K Matt

Does the patch make your arm itch, I know its a daft question, this is day 3 for me and I've had major cravings but I haven't caved in.  How's everyone else doing

Twinkle

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

The patches vary. The Niquitin clear ones stuck best on me, especially when sweating during exercise and in the shower afterwards, but they did slightly irritate the skin. But other patches were less adhesive.

Twinkle, it will get worse before it gets better. Maybe running outside will help? You can have a good ole hack and cough and clearout outside - if you did it on the tready, fellow gym users might have an opinion!

I'm still clean, completely clean, after 3 months now. This was after several years of off and back on. And off. And back on again.

Can't say I feel faster or better as a runner but the breathing is easier. Bit of a wheeze still there but the old cough has gone. But there's more reasons than running to pack in the weed, of course. Stick with it, you know it makes sense.

• I am using the Nicontinell patches and they do itch a little for the first hour or so but then hardly noticable after that. 

2nd day on them today with the last 24 hours cigarette free!!!!

Made the mistake of overdoing sugar free gum yesterday, not pleasant!!!!

• Also just have to mention that although I had some cravings they were nowhere as intense as when I've tried to quit without patches, would recommend the Nicotinell.

• Hi fellow non-smoking runners

day 4 for me today and as andy hill 13 said today "I had to dig deep", great big ugly cravings today, but I didn't give in to them and found a way to keep my hands busy, a nail file and cranbury flavoured handcream to make my hands smell nice.  Perhaps this is the start of me having nice nails, as I've never had nice long nails before.

10K matt my arm is still itching but after about two hours my arm didn't itch anymore.  I went for a 5k plod last night and it went alot better than the monday am run.  Got round the circuit in 37mins (yes I know its slow for some) but its a good time for me.  Going out on a club run later.

Bo, Vik and Nick how are you getting on?

keep up the nic fight everyone

Twinkle

• Day 3, feeling positive and starting to feel better.  5k last night and felt like I could have run forever.

Good luck everybody.

• How's everybody been doing the last 24 hours?