Options

Smoking... It's not good.

13»

Comments

• Options

Day 6 still not smoking arm stopped itching but now getting a wheezy chest and cough, but felt quite strong and determined today, just come back from a spin glass

Not one puff

Twinkle

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Good work guys.

Been off five and a half weeks now. Still using the NRT, but a lot less than before. Problem is getting to be in increase in appetite. Nightmare
  • Options
    Have you tried joining a running group? That might help get a few extra miles in and keep any weight gain down. They are normally very encouraging.
  • Options
    Hi All.

Currently 14 days and 17 hours since last smoke @ bedtime on New Years day. My main motivation for quitting was to see an improvement in my running times, which is a bit silly but whatever works for you.

I've been running for 6-9 months or so on an off. Up till November my quickest times were 24:30 for 5k and 51:30 for 10k. I didn't run at all in December and gave up on 2nd of Jan.

Since then I have run

5k - 23:45 in a like for like situation (around parks) and 22:37 in my first ever 5k race.

10k - 49:57 in like for like situation.

I'm sure some of this can be explained by other factors (not sure what) but most of it is down to quitting smoking I believe.

One point I wanted to make was when you quit there is a difference between "thinking about smoking" and "craving smoking" when I quit for the first few days would say I thought about it every 10 minutes or so and craved it every hour. I now reckon I think about it every hour and crave it maybe twice a day. When something governs your life for so long it takes time to let it go.
  • Options

Hi Jamie

my last cigerette was bedtime new years eve night I'm currently on day 16 and am coughing and spluttering.  I m not using any nicotine replacement as the patches made me itch.  I'm like you I think about it probably once an hour and the big ugly cravings are probably 2 - 3 times a day.  I haven't noticed any difference in my times, but  them I am a bit of a plodder.  Good luck, I think that quitting smoking is a lot harder tha losing weight.  I started excercise as a means to lose weight in January 2011 and stuck at it and this year I am going to make sure that 2012 is a successful quit year. Plodding is now a way of life for me, I now want to make not smoking the same.  My aim which is a long way off is to run a marathon in my 50th year which is next year

Twinkle

• Options

It is not uncommon to develop this disease from smoking cigarettes, its irreversable and I know a few people who has developed it and one of them is a family member.

http://www.lunguk.org/you-and-your-lungs/conditions-and-diseases/copd

If that doesnt put you of smoking, nothing will.

• Options
    .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

keep going guys! my running has started to improve now! one month in to cold turkey! still needing NRT too... using gum now!

• Options
    Well done everyone,i dont know you all but im really proud of you.I know just how hard it really is to quit.Just keep going,it gets easier as time goes by.I found i started to stop thinking about putting the things in my mouth after a couple of weeks.If you ask a smoker and they are honest they will tell you that the repitition of smoking means they cant remember their last fag.It costs a fortune and you stink.Lung cancer and loads of other diseases might come your way...its a no brainer,keep going
  • Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Folks, it now been 9 weeks now. Not had any gum or anything today... Bit stroppy... But not thought about smoking for ages...
  • Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Good work all!!!