A Personal December Challenge

A continuation from the Personal November Challenge thread!

Set yourself a goal, make it something you can actually measure progress against, announce it to the world, then update on your progress!

I have two goals, similar to November but slightly more realistic in scope - finish the year with 500 miles and with a BMI that's not overweight.  Exact numbers to follow tomorrow when I get started.

Go on, add your goals!

Comments

• Cool! Having a public target did make me work harder towards it, so happy to do it again. I missed my target last month but determined not to do so this month.

70 miles in December.
    610 miles for 2011.
    Don't gain any significant weight.
    Kettlebells at least once a week but preferably two.
  • I would like to set an exercise target, but need to wait and see what the physio says first.  I'll report back when I know more about what I am able to do.
  • Anyone setting a weight loss target during December gets my respect! 

I'm gonna keep my target conservative, but it will still be a landmark if I can achieve it.  As of tomorrow I will be returning to running after a year of doing virtually none due to hip injury/operation.  Thanks to a heavy diet of cycling, walking and sweating in the gym I've managed to get within 3lbs of my best ever running weight.  It's pretty rare for me to get back to running after an injury (there have been a few now) without my thighs rubbing together, but I'm pretty lean right now which can only help.  Sooo, if I can lose another 4lbs I will be my lightest since I was a teenager.  Just what I need to set me back on the path to PB glory.

Current weight: 11st 8.  Target weight 11st 4.

I won't set any running targets because although I've got a best-case-scenario progress plan in mind I really do think I need to play it by ear/hip.

• Phil - mine's a more conservative weight loss target than last month, believe me! I've got to be realistic about the extra food that, with the best will in the world, will be coming my way over the next month.
  • The problem is, it's not just the quantity of food involved, it's the quality, not to mention all the booze that it's washed down with (and the even poorer quality food that you crave once all the booze has gone down).

Healthy Christmas food: turkey, brussels sprouts.

Not so healthy Chritmas food: ...everything else.

Good luck people!!!

imageimageimageimage

• PhilPub wrote (see)

Anyone setting a weight loss target during December gets my respect! 

I find Christmas an easy time to lose weight without trying.  We tend to eat bigger meals, but counteract it by eating less of them.  Often on Christmas Day I will only have one meal, and I'm not a big fan of nibbles.  I also do more exercise as I am off work so have more time to fit it in (and use it as an excuse to get some time away from the relatives).

It's January, when I go back to work and start on all the left over chocoalte and biscuits that people bring in... that's when I gain weight.

Having said that, this autumn I have been struggling with injuries so the exercsie has tapered off.  I am expecting to put on weight this year.

• I have a 3.

1) No alcohol until Friday 23rd when I'm going to a 55th birthday party

2) At least one hour of something crafty every day

3) At least haf an hour of exercise, be it walking or gym (depending on current sore back)  4-5 times a week.

Bounus should be about 3-7lb weight loss. 

• My goal for December, somewhat pathetic among the 100 mile + a monthers, is to get back to running 5k.  If it's running, I want to do a parkrun on new years eve, otherwise i'll do my own 5k route.

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Damn, knew it would happen.  Not much chance of hitting any goal in December as it's pretty full of stuff and will definitely involve evenings of no running followed by mornings of no running.  It does, however, have 31 days, and therefore more time to hit a stretch target.  So, 250 running miles it is.

Starting tomorrow...

• BB ✭✭✭

Can't run, so will keep it similar to November:

1. walk every day
    2. core/weights session or class at least 3 times per week
    3. Eat heathily - no chocolate binges and lose 3lbs

• I need to start running again now that my bashed ribs are more or less okay.

I'm going to try for 100kms this month - nice and slowly. Should set me up nicely for the UK-USA challenge in January.

(There is going to be a challenge - isn't there?)

I have to think about what I want to do on the bike - I'm going home on the 23rd and don't suppose I'll be doing any cycling there. 

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    well this has been a dire year for me for running so I am setting a target to run 80 miles, I did 62 in November so its not too mad a goal...
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • I am going to go for:

100 miles

not gain any weight

• I started my marathon plan on Monday. I have just counted and there are 17 runs in December. I will set myself the target of running 16 of them...

I wonder how feasible 12 miles on Christmas day is going to be!

• Helen - run them on xmas eve instead! I know my OH has put his foot down about me going for  a long run on xmas day
  • I will go for:

70 miles over December

and

To try and not overindulge on christmas cheese.

• I'm like Phil, returning to running after about a year out, so I've got a simple plan:

1. Start running again
    2. Lose 7lbs (any more would be image)
    3. Build up plank and arm weights each day

And most importantly, all being well, enter RW UK v RW USA this year (not being able to do anything other than flagwave last yearimage).

• I think the only thing stopping me running on Christmas day is that I'm more likely to get seriously bladdered on Christmas Eve than Christmas day itself.  I'm looking forward to a run on Boxing Day morning before we go round my brother's for another helping of turkey.
  • Helen Liz wrote (see)

I started my marathon plan on Monday. I have just counted and there are 17 runs in December. I will set myself the target of running 16 of them...

I wonder how feasible 12 miles on Christmas day is going to be!

I've got the ex coming over on Christmas Day - shame I won't be up to 26m by then.image
  • TownerTowner ✭✭✭

can i join in?......

to stick to my upper body exercise plan (every day)

run at least twice a week image (calf injury permitting)

• ok, no idea what the UK vs USA thing is
  • Jeepers wrote (see)
    And most importantly, all being well, enter RW UK v RW USA this year (not being able to do anything other than flagwave last yearimage).
    And a darned good flagwaver you were too Jeepers! Hope to see you there in January!image
  • Lose a pound (fat not muscle)
    Get all the key workouts done (1 x Canova-style + 1 long run)
    Make the start of all 3 races
    Go to bed on time at least 6 times a week
    Stretch hip flexors.... (how *is* the hip now Mr. Pub?)
  • I'll join in as well I think.. My goals for December are:

1) 100 miles running - building fitness for 1/2 mara in Feb
    2) do enough hill training to run (and enjoy?) the Knacker Cracker on New Year's Day....
    3) have another month alcohol free ( done it in Nov, but December will be tougher)
    4) get my weight down to 11st 9 (started at 14st, now 12st 3)
  • Fido2Dogs wrote (see)
    (how *is* the hip now Mr. Pub?)

All good so far, thanks.  image  Although, I'll only really know when I start running on it again.  So far I've got back to full-on cycling, walking and most recently rowing, which was the only other thing apart from running that I was struggling with before the op, so that's a good sign.

I don't recommend it but there's nothing like a serious injury to finally get you doing all those core exercises religiously and noticing a real difference.  Buns of steel, I thee... Best of luck with the hip flexors.

• OK, I'm going to set myself a goal or 2......need to decide what's realistic....will pop back in tomorrow

Hi Jeepers *waves* image

• BB ✭✭✭
    Hey Jeepers, good to see you image *waves*
  • Mine are humble compared to yours but:

2 park runs.

Get out for a short run in the dark even if I can't face a longer one.

Lose 3lb by cutting the junk and upping the exercise.