sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• I think that I must have passed you along the dual carriageway as I was passing loads of people then and not so many when it started sleeting.

If you do find another 6 minutes let me know where so that I can find them as well :)
  • Good news cariad.

Good runs BR and Valuxian.

I'm feeling Thread pressure now to run a good time at Hastings. Weather forecast not too good but not worried about that really. Target is 1:45.

WP - If you're interested, and have some spare time ;-) check out the Base Training thread and especially follow the Hadd links near the start. To begin with (min 3 months) it's all about running a lot of mileage (hour a day min, few rest days) at lowish HR to build an aerobic base. As you improve slowly, you run faster for the same HR.

nrg-b - feel free to comment on above.

CA - I'm planning tough hilly 10 mile runs for today and Wednesday and rest/easy runs for other days this week. What are you up to?
  • And just discovered that I've got to find 4 and a half minutes to beat Gordon Ramsay too... but think I'll concentrate on the 6 minute challenge instead ;-)
  • Well normally the thread is very supportive but thanks only to Welsh Alex for bothering to reply to my posting!! (Slightly niggled having had a few bad days of training so excuse the moodiness!).
    Am still only up to a long run of 10 miles, I remember last year RW published an "emergency" training plan for those of us who has missed a few weeks training due to illness/injury, anyone know if that's still about?

• bntm,i'd just try out a few different things on your long runs,that's partly what they're for...i find it easier to carry gels cos they're smaller than trying to lug litres and litres of lucozade round. and i know the sis are better than the more concentrated sort which are about as digestible to me as toothpaste...what i now can't remember,cos i wasn't really compos mentis,was whether it was just gels or whether it was both gel or LS drink being dished out last year and what will happen this year.my strategy is to pack a biggish sports bottle with SIS drink(i need the belt with a pocket for vaseline,compeed,salt and ibuprofen anyway),and take that and water from the stations to stay hydrated,and to pop the gels every 45 mins to keep up the carb content.last year the sis drink disapeared v swiftly and i was quaffing and sluicing water over my head all the way it was so hot.
    i can happily drink lots of LS if its the grapefruit or lemon flavour but i just find the orange too sickly.

the advantage of carrying your own bottle is that you can drink when you want not just at the water stations,you don't have to stop or walk and its easier to drink from a sports bottle than a small plastic vittel bottle(although good tip last year was to take a sports cap off a larger vittel bottle and bring it with you to pop on so you can drink their water more easily.they don't put sports caps on the small bottles-or they didn't last year).

the devil is in the detail...
  • celtic lady,apologies this thread is quite fast moving and i don't tune in frequently enough to see every post...
  • sorry that was rather childish.off to gym now.
  • Good afternoon everyone, well done to you all for your times over the weekend, commiseration’s to those who have picked up niggles (but remember don't push to hard six weeks is not very long), like Percy I feel I have to try harder at Hastings this Sunday (Percy you still on for company around the course?).

My intention is to do 12 miles tonight on hills around Orpington then some treadmill runs over the next three days dropping the mileage, I have two PT sessions planed for tonight and Wednesday, with rest days Friday & Saturday.

CA
  • CL
    Sorry but as Alex P said this thread does move along very quickly sorry to miss your thread I am normally rushing about as usual

AlexP- well done on your run yesterday you must have been pleased the way it went.

Childish-never why grow up and become boring....I don't intend to:-)

Cariad

My massage I have one today is for 30-45 minutes and is only 15.00 he is fantastic gives me a great service also looks at my diet training you name it he does it(I am a vegetarian and need to get protein right plus he things I do not eat enough)

Physio is booked for tomorrow now he charges 25.00 for same time frame....he is very good looks after welsh footy team when they go away.

Wabo

nice to hear from you do keep in touch sorry things not worked out for you but BF is doing well:-)

CA and Percy

Good luck on Sunday we will all be praying you do very well...but Percy don't go to far ahead of me I will never catch you up:-)

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • CL - apologies for missing your post. Hang in there, base your training week around your long runs and do your best.....worst case scenario is you get round...;-)

CA - Yep, Hastings....no probs. well into Himalayan mode now...;-)

Wabo - Wahey!

WP - bargain massage and physio down your way. £25 per half hour in London.
    Ah, so no cheesy for you - are you a vegan? must be quite tricky for the runners diet. Don't think I'll be running away from you - I'm definitely not the chosen one (like some on here) and a man's gotta know his limitations!

The more I think about FLM pace the more I think stick with the 9 m/m pace and enjoy...

Next two weeks will shed some light on my potential hopefully.

Who's doing Kingston? Racing it or training run? I'm thinking of 8:30 m/m training run if I can.
  • Hey people, sorry, I didn't mean for people to feel like they needed to apologise!!
    Just wanted a bit of advice on the long run etc. Thanks though!!
  • Percy, how are you getting there?

CA
  • List for Kingston:
    - Percy Cheeser (8:30 m/m?)
    - BNTM (not sure what on earth to do now?)
  • CL - if you're behind on the training then I'm not sure what your best bet is - you definitely don't want to get injured or tired by over-training now.

The smart thing to do is probably to get a few long runs together (whatever distance feels "long") but to then also taper just like the rest of us - you'll have the disadvantage of not having 4-6 months of training behind you, but the advantage of not having endured 4-6 months of occasional injury and continuous wear and tear ;-)

P.S. What do I know, anyway?
  • BNTM, as always words of wisdom, in regards to your what to do now remember you are in the bracket of "will get a good time in flm" in the regulars of this thread. And judging by your performance on Sunday you can do what you choose.

CA
  • CL, hello.. I missed 6 weeks of running last year from following physio intructions. I naughtily ended up taking my longest run, (about 19) the weekend prior to FLM and so kind of missed the tapering all together (but had had such a big break?!.. and I needed the confidence) I pulled in with 4.29.28, had been training for sub 4. I cried.
    Probably very silly, but it worked for me.

WP.. you don't live in London obviously. Am jealous.

PC.. so £50 for an hour is right for London then?

I want to move.

Alex P.. You must have been more off your head than I was! It was just LS drink being given out.
    I took LS gels with me and grabbed every drink I could too.
    I hope its not that hot again this year.
  • WP.. I'm vege too - but I don't get how your massage person would know about diet!?
    I think you are very lucky with your support people!
  • cariad,i was suffering from the heat,so ok it was a drink not a LS gel that repeated.was it in a pouch? it was definitely orange!will get the family positioned at mile 23 with more SIS in a bottle i think.
    and the sickness may well have been due to heatstroke/mild sunburn-i am a fragile little flower with my pink skin and freckles-than to the lucozade.
    in the end i managed 4.27 so yah boo! :) i had to recognise after 9 miles or so that it just wasn't going to be the day for sub 4.and that was/is my PB...looing back i think that i would have been in the 4.10-15 on a cooler day,i hadn't really done enough longer runs at the 8.40-9 min/mile pace to be confident of doing all 26 that quickly.
  • CA - Still undecided re. travel to Hastings. Car parking is an issue apparently so maybe train? 8:10 from Charing X apparently stops at London Bridge but I need to double check this.

Cariad - Yeah £50 for an hour's massage/physio is a big wedge isn't it, and a good sesh will take that long too. I've not had one for weeks....:-(

The other day I got some emu oil in the post though which I've been rubbing in to my dodgy hamstring. Must've won it on that RW subscribers comp. Dunno whether it's doing any good tho yet.

New 10 mile training pb today on hill course 1:23 so sort of on schedule.....and some sunshine was nice too.
  • CA, thanks for the nice words - I only wanted to stress that my opinion was just that - I do feel like I'm learning heaps about running all the time and I love talking about it on these forums (not least cos all my non-running friends are very bored of it already). But while I love to sound like I know what I'm talking about, I don't want anyone to take me too seriously - I'd hate for my advice to be responsible for injuring someone else!

Your statement on "do what you choose" though has got me thinking:

- I'm choosing to avenge nurse duffy from 1997

- I'm also choosing to make sure I'm smiling for as many of the 42200 metres (and beyond) as possible

What are the rest of you choosing?
  • BNTM and Cariad, thanks.
    Thinking of 15 or so miles this wkend as a try, pretty confident - even though furthest run has only been 10 miles so far there have been lots of those.
    Last year I had to pull out due to injury and was totally devastated, the reason I am behind on training this year was to ensure that I got injuries sorted, and so am being sensible about this and making sure I'll be able to compete! Will cling on to the sub-4 thread hope for now, but not worry too much if I'm over the time I guess!
    Helping a lot to have the advice of others though - you DO seem to know plenty BNTM!
  • OH, and I'm CHOOSING the slowest possible celebrity to aim to beat
  • CL - I suggest going with what feels comfortable withouth pushing too hard this close to run. Think about completing not competeing & save a munificient pb for another day . . .

• Have beaten Frank Bruno and Charlie Dimmock.

Also beat JPR Williams in the Cynon Valley half (about 1984) when he was still just about playing for wales. Now there's a claim to fame.

6.5 miles with Mrs A on (another) hilly route last night. 1:00:48. Typlically I am about 48 mins on this one when on my tod. Coldish last night.

Going for double the same tonight and should be less than 1:40. Training volumes have been pants the last 3 weeks.

Aiming for a long run on Sat 21st, Rhayader 20. Bath (half marathon that is) this sun and promised to stick with Mrs A so no speedy time for me.

Osteo I use costs £30 per 40 mins. She give a good massage and seems adept at re-aligning my neck every so often (CLICK).

Like many of you I am also hoping it is not *that* hot this year in the FLM.

Did an urban 5k on Sun and my time was a poor 23:32. Although sundays are not my best day (work 41 hours between Fri morn and Sun night) I think it is because of my focus on longer distance. Got one wolf whistle and a 'Run Forest Run' from groups of local 14 yr old white cider drinkers.

• Percy- No not vegan although I have food allergys sadly and can't eat most diary like cheese had to be hospitalised last time this happened also nuts but don't let me bore you with my eating problems;-)

Cariad

Nope not from London the clue is in my name:-)

I am very lucky with my support crew all willing to go the extra mile for me Richard(massage chap) is like a close friend he is a sports consultant, personal trainer etc plus dietion so made me write down what I eat over a week...felt like a naughty school girl I eat good healthy food just not enough of it so i am told!!! I rang him last night and he fitted me in straight away...it was painful session !!
    Physio tomorrow and hopefully my back will be clicked back into place again!!

Alex P-You a fragile little flower as well,I can't be in the sun either have bought the special sun lotion last week in preperation I am taking no chances and a big worry for me is the heat I just wilt and die:-) and asthma will play up !

Percy
    I bought emu oil a month ago for my aches on my legs as I can't take pain killers as allergic to asprin(told you I am a fragile little flower)It seems to be working okay
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Percy and WP: FLM is so close I recommend you disregard BT until afterwards - please don't change your running plans or schedules. I suggest that if you have questions then ask away on the BT thread.

I have a recovery week (two fast HMs have tired me out). I'll be running about 1-1.5 hours a day at 143 bpm (65%WHR). Then this sunday will be the third and final HM: Brentwood HM. I'm looking forward to it as its nearby and I'll be running with a mate for a 2:15-2:30 completion. Nice.
  • My head is not right... I was aiming for sub 4.30 last year, not 4... cried coz was happy that I had still managed it despite missing so much running.