Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Colin

Comments

• 9.35 miles in total tonight and a total change of environment too. I took Steve's advice from a while back and ventured down to my local tarten running track. Normally I use a cinder track close by in the summer so going back onto tarten was a bit of change from tarmac and also a bit of a novelty to be at the track in the Winter.

2 miles warm up run  to the track @ 8.08 pace and av HR of 138bpm
    Then it was a lap of the track jogging the bends and doing strides on the straights. A bit of stretching combined with some knee lifts, exaggerated overstrides and those ones where you kick back and your heel hits your bum and the warm up was complete. Next up was 4 x 1 mile reps with 400m jog recovery and the 1 mile reps looked like this:

1.01 mile in 5.54, av pace 5.50, HR 174bpm
    1.03 mile in 6.03, av pace 5.52, HR 176bpm
    1.02 mile in 5.56, av pace 5.48, HR 178bpm
    1.02 mile in 6.00, av pace 5.52, HR 180bpm

Then a 2.35 mile jog home average oace 8.35, HR 156bpm

I think the track surface played a part in the quicker reps, plus there were some other runners doing 1200m reps at the same time (one of which was one of the quickest ladies' in the county!), so for some of my mile reps I was in a group of other runners going with the flow. They usually meet down there each week, so i'll probably go back next week if you think that would be a good idea Steve?

• Hi Simon, I have other taste in music other than metal, although that was my first kind that I got into as a tennager. I changed direction whilst a student getting into the indie side of things, like Neds Atomic Dustbin, Nirvana, Carter USM, Fudge Tunnel, Dinosuar Jnr etc and saw loads of bands when I worked in the Students Union. In Leicester there was a good Club scene & a few priate radio stations & record shops which got me into the House music side of things, which eventually got me into buying some decks & a mixer (still have them). My wife bought me a USB turntable last Xmas and I have been sporadically converting my beloved vinyl into MP3's and uploading them onto my iPod. Good luck with the Manchester marathon & training.

As far as half marathons leading up to Paris, I have entered the Village Bakery half in Wrexham (Feb) and hoping to get into the Wilmslow half in March (TBC)

Oscar - that is one hell of a guy to have done all that over such a long period of time. You have to respect that level of achievment. It's good that some of his advice rings true to what has been said at Bootcamp and also on these forums too.

• Yes KR, it was me that said about alternating shoes.  I also try and buy two pairs of the same shoes in the sales, then by alternating you don't have to buy any more for what seems like ages.

Excellent track session last night.  Very fast paced and consistent as well.  Much be a good confidence builder.  Did it cost you to use the track?  I did 3.3m easy to club last night (as they only ran 5m the previous week) and then 8.4m!!! with them.  11.73m in total which was more than I was anticipating but feel ok this morning.

Simon, I am another who oftens "moves to the music" whilst running.  Can be embarrassing sometimesimage

• I do think that while there is a lot of common ground between what guys like Steve Edwards does and what normal folks do, there is also a gulf of difference. His personal best on po10is a reasonable 2:51 but if I put in the miles he does in racing and training, I would hope to be a lot faster than that. He is a few years older than me but he didn't break 3 hours last year (best was 3:03 at VLM). He has set himself a target and is world best at that, no doubt, but he doesn't have a lot of competition and if you look at when he does compete e.g. versus Adam Holland in the Brathay 10 in 10 he took 35:06 hours whereas Adam was 30:20.

I'm not knocking the guy, what he has done is amazing,  but it is a lot different to what we do so some of the relevance is only passing.We are going through a very structured building and peaking programme which he avoids completely.

• KR - cracking track session last night - you must be very pleased with that.
  • KR - brilliant track session last night. Well done! I can feel a new half marathon PB at Wrexham or Wilmslow heading your way..

It's very inspiring to read your detailed updates, particularly as you're faster than me and a week ahead of the sub 3:15 marathon schedule. Keep up the good work!

Oscarr -  interesting to read again about the importance of core work. I cycle a fair bit, but haven't done any specific core work but I know this is letting me down. I've got a set of exercises which I started last night and aim to do 2-3 times a week.

• Excellent session KR - sub 6s average impressive speed and shows more than  enough speed there. Next time you do the session though try and hold back a little ie start with 6:05-6:10 to practice pacing and to also enable you to finish the session even stronger.

Re making it regular - I think you need to procede carefully with running on the all weather track every week if you aren't used to it. The harder surface and the bends which tend to put extra stresses on the left hand side of the body is a risk and may be better to use it every other week for the next month.

• also well done on the session Rob - good pacing.

Jase - re CE, yes she thought injury problems were receding but foot was hurting on Saturday and wisely decided to pull out around halfway after it didn't improve and is getting treatment.

• Rob Cope wrote (see

Oscarr -  interesting to read again about the importance of core work. I cycle a fair bit, but haven't done any specific core work but I know this is letting me down. I've got a set of exercises which I started last night and aim to do 2-3 times a week.

Rob - the core work he does is in support of his running (as opposed to a substitute) and he works on strengthening his glutes so that the core and glutes do more work in running than the quads and hamstrings - something Sarah Connors and Steve were stressing at boot camp and I remember Steve describing what happens if you tire at the end of a long run when your core and glutes weaken putting more pressure on the quads and the legs feel as though they are giving in and you lose running form.

One thought I took away from last night was to vary the exercise sessions in the week to mean I can do more of them at the end of runs and keep motivated e.g. floor exercises, swiss ball routines etc.  I bought a swiss ball from Decathlon for about £5to7 including pump.

• Thanks Steve. Your pacing advice got me through that session yesterday.

Oscarr - Yes, that feeling of tiring and putting more pressure on the quads is very familiar. I've become very aware of that in recent races. Hill running, I believe, helps to a certain extent but extra core work is  now a priority on the run-up to the marathon. It'll be interesting to see how it affects my times.

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Colin: good tunes choice BTW. Carter USM, Dinosaur Jnr ect formed the soundtrack to my early teens... Funny how the indie/rock kids then go into house etc. could have been the Stone Roses thing, Baggie and then chemical brothers... Just as a music comment really. Good work with the training too.
  • Nice session KR and looks very controlled to me. image

MCS- fingers crossed it's nothing serious then and she can get back to where she was. Hope you were pleased with your run.

• Ah, MCS I just went back a few pages. I see that you weren't happy with your run. Sorry to hear that, onwards and upwards, eh?
  • Jase I wasn't unhappy with the run just my fitness levels due to lack of running (average of less than 10 miles a week since London marathon)  -  I was probably about 5 minutes down on what I would have been able to achieve  a few years ago.

I was actually a minute quicker than 2011 though conditions much better this year though I was a bit fitter then and see winner was two minutes quicker so clearly was an inferior run.

I at least survived a full track session last night though my 1000m reps are significantly slower pace than I have managed for a full marathon!

well done on your 23rd - the same position I managed 31 years ago.

• Good memory on your result from 31 years ago... I was 3 months old. image

I wasnt massively chuffed with my performance to be honest but it wasnt bad for a first county champs. I trained straight through it and am only in early stages of ramping up miles at the moment. We also couldnt even complete a team which may have had something to do with my desire to really push at the end. I think i will be focusing on this next year and really want to be close to top ten if I can. London is the spring focus for me though and hopefully will be knocking on the 2:29 door.
  • That's a cracking set of mile reps KR. Are you calling 6.00 or even a bit less nominal 10k pace then?? Remind me of your 10k PB? Looks it'll be in for a severe kicking. How long did you find the 400 recoveries ended up taking?
  • I ran 2:29 the year I was 23rd - I was sure I was 23rd around that time but Power of Ten confirmed the year - about 60% of my races over the years are on POT  I loaded ones I could verify a few years ago.
  • RJ, there are guys who ran the cross country who will look you up on po10 and tell their friends about a brilliant marathon guy they beat or lost narrowly to. I am sure if you concentrated on the shorter distances and did specific cross country you would achieve that goal, but also your marathon may suffer a bit. You can be good at a lot of things but to be better or best, you have to accept compromises.
  • CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)
    ! Ruth - any suggestions for snacks and recovery for someone who can't eat dairy or soya? Once I've gotten bored with fruit for the day I tend to fill up Nature Valley bars, Nakd bars, 9 bars... you get the idea! Recovery drink is just Lucozade with L-Glutamine and Cherry Active. I tried adding hemp protein powder but it's too grainy, and also pea protein powder but it just clumps up and actually tastes of peas, which is fairly minging when mixed into Raspberry flavoured Lucozade.

Hi CC2

What about bread with nut spread (almond, peanut, cashew butter etc) you can buy  more natural brands with just the nuts and some salt so dairy and soya free and by having different types of bread & a few different nut spreads or fruit spread would add variety and added nutrients for example almonds great source of vitamin E . Only a thin spread of these would be needed.

• tricialitt wrote (see)

Ruth- re: "salty sweaters"- I guess I'm in that category, as I am encrusted with a thick layer of salt crystals all over my face, after any race- especially if longer than 1/2  marathon. I also crave salt atthe end of a race- usually all I want to eat are crisps!

In a previous life as a shooter, I went to malaysia to compete, and we tried a heat chamber to estimate our fluid losses in the expected environmental conditions ( shooters wear a lot of heavy canvas/ leather kit, so you sweat buckets at 30 deg C)- I had the biggest fluid losses in our group, despite being the smallest- so I guess it's a combination of high fluid loss with high salt loss.

I have developed the habit of using Nuun or zero tablets in all my water, and diluting lucozade sport down with electrolyte tablets, too- any other suggestions? ( interestingly, I have never had cramp, despite the obvious salt loss). Does pre- loading with salt in the days before the race help? ( I have a high salt intake anyway- and relatively low blood pressure).

Hi, if it's not broke, don't fix it!  You don't cramp so what you are doing must be helpful to you. Pre-loading with salt is not really required unless you are in a very humid or/& hot environemnt then I would suggest before a prolonged event you just sprinkle you food with a little salt 1-2 days before but otherwise just usual food which for some can be very high in salt anyway.

Nuun has higher salt content than Zero (360mg v 260mg) and powerade zero has 240mg and all under 8calories per tablet.

• peter thompson 14 wrote (see)

Cheers steve, GD and Kr and well done on your park run to GD. Some good advice from Ruth and think your enjoy stocking up on rice pudding image. Some good running this week KR and hope the long run goes ok today seems like its ticking along nicely.

Hey Ruth hope your ok and things and good your involved agin this year to image. Just wanted your advice about recovery drinks if you dont mind. I usually have a banana and honey milkshake made with skimmed milk after a run and wondered if that sounded alright?. Its a cheaper option than some of the branded products out there such as 'for godness shakes' and from reading the packets they seem more or less the same as any other choc milkshake, as they all seem to have the same 3:1 carb to protien ratio.

Hi Peter

I did recognised banana-man!

Thanks for post. Your recovery drink is absolutely fine! Lots of nutrients including: protein, carbs, calcium & B- vitamins. A couple of tablespoons of honey is probably more than enough but depends on energy needs.

• Beware Of The Fish wrote (see)
    Not sure that lightweight racing shoes would make that much difference for me - I'd be far better off losing the 7lb that's round my middle!
    Good point!
  • Rennur wrote (see)

Very interested in the salty sweat conversation... I fit into that category. Plus, I tend not to add any additional salt to my food, so I'm wondering if I might be starting with a bit of a deficit. While I haven't actually cramped up in the final miles of my maras, I have had to slow down because I thought that I would cramp up if I maintained the pace I wanted. So, is this an excuse for "crisps loading" along with our "carbo loading" beforehand?

KR, forgive me if I've missed this, but have you done a max HR test? You seem to be close to me in many ways (target time, age, etc), I'd be interested to be able to understand your run reports better.

And my final OT contribution: Blaas of Glory. A Dutch heavy metal marching band. If you spot them on youtube, you'll find that they've got armadillos in their trousers. It's really quite frightening. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIIs1OLQm3I

Rennur: what is your fluid/fuel plan doing a race?

Right I am off to work on my core as perhaps that's why my hamstrings get tight after long runs! Thanks!

• KR, those are pretty quick reps! Makes my mile time look even worse tonight. It was the Derby Midweek Mile and I managed 5.41, which is OK I suppose, but I ran 5.38 in January last year and felt I could have gone faster. Tonight I couldn't have shaved off a millisecond.

I also ran the 5k that started just over 10 minutes after I finished the mile. I wanted HM pace (6.36 garmin pace) and since I measured the course slightly long at 3.14 miles that is exactly what I got. I started a bit too slowly though as my lungs were still recovering from the mile race, so I did have to push quite hard in the last half mile to bring the overall pace down. Splits were 6.43, 6.41, 6.32 and the last .14 at 5.45 pace.

I think I need a USB turntable so I can convert my vinyl and throw out the massive old stereo that takes up half of my living room. The CD player is broken on it anyway. I only keep it for the turntable and cassette decks.
  • CC2 - you are too hard  on yourself - the mile and 5k together makes a really good night's work - well done.
  • Hi Fraser, 10k PB is 38.38 which works out at 6.13 pace. The reps last night were probably on the fast side, but I put that partly down to the bouncy track surface and being in a track environment. I do think that had I done these on the road/pavement as I normally do, the pace would have been slower. In some ways although monotenous, I find the laps of the track can teach good pacing techniques. I'll be honest I was looking to crack out 1.30 laps and I wasn't far off that.

Good session for you tonight Speedy and not easy to crack out a 5k at pace after a 1 mile at the speed you had done earlier. A good early indication of speed. For around £65, the USB deck is a bargin. The best thing I have found is rediscovering old tunes that I haven't played in a while (I'll post a photo of my record collection when I am on the other computer).

Bad night for eating Ruth as I didn't have my dinner till about 10pm! We had to go out at 6.00pm tonight which then turned out to be 6.30, then didn't get home till 7.30 ish. Went out for my run just after 8 and then by the time I got home and had a shower and cooked my dinner it was nearly 10 when I ate it. Rest of the day was fine and this probably sums up my eating for a normal day:

Breakfast - bowl of muesli & crunch with skimmed milk
    Lunch - chicken sandwiches, penguin biscuit bar, handful of grapes
    Afternoon snack: satsuma, apple, 3 slices of malt loaf
    3 x cups of green tea & 1 x normal tea throughout the day
    Dinner: Sweet & sour pork stir fry with basmati rice

Alos have the odd yougert druing the day (when I remember they are in the fridge) and also have a packet of mixed fruit & nuts in my drawer to ward off chocolate temptation!

• So a bit of a late run tonight (on the bonk a bit too!).

8.43 miles in 1.08.03
    Average pace was 8.04 and average HR was 152bpm
    A typical bread & butter run.
    Like the fact that I ran this at 2 minute/mile slower than last nights session.
    Looking forward to some MP miles tomorrow night image.

• Should be a wholemeal bread and low fat spread run

- solid training run so hopefullty Tuesday is 6 min miles, Wednesday 8 min miles and Thursday 7 min (and bits) miles...

• RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)
    Rennur wrote (see)

Very interested in the salty sweat conversation... I fit into that category. Plus, I tend not to add any additional salt to my food, so I'm wondering if I might be starting with a bit of a deficit. While I haven't actually cramped up in the final miles of my maras, I have had to slow down because I thought that I would cramp up if I maintained the pace I wanted. So, is this an excuse for "crisps loading" along with our "carbo loading" beforehand?

Rennur: what is your fluid/fuel plan doing a race?

Hi Ruth,

I've been a bit casual about fueling, to be honest. I've done the usual carbo-loading (slightly higher intake; much higher carb proportion) a few days beforehand. Race day, it's about 750ml of the lucozade on course plus about 150g of jelly babies and some water. (Exception being Munich recently where I didn't take the iso drink, as it was in cups and an untested brand... I took extra jelly babies and was utterly sick of them by mile 16. That marathon had me slowing lots in the last few miles, though I couldn't prove that it was exclusively fueling that was responsible.)

Any pointers will be much appreciated.

• CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)
    I think I need a USB turntable so I can convert my vinyl and throw out the massive old stereo that takes up half of my living room. The CD player is broken on it anyway. I only keep it for the turntable and cassette decks.
    I bought one a couple of years ago when they first came out as I have thousands of records, a lot of which are fairly obscure things I bought after hearing John Peel play them. Trouble is I've never found the time to start digitising them, and my desk is usually so covered in junk that there's nowhere flat to put the deck anyway image