Options

Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Colin

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Rob
    Good luck yourself
    My chest not 100pc but slightly better
    Just been to expo met my namesake who will probably run similar time but will probably start quicker and unable to persuade him to run with me to confuse results we are both Stephen James Smythe of dulwich runners. Coincidentally I saw my chiro yesterday and just found out he was the appointment immediately after me! He knows choisty well.
  • Options
    Steve  - the very best of luck for Sunday VLM - weather looks to be the right temperature so have you set your target time and strategy yet ?
  • Options
    Thanks oscarr
    Plan is to run 6:45-6:50 miles as long as can manage. Might only be 20 miles but may be lucky and get further even though don't deserve to this year.
    However, may as well try to extend my sub-3 streak a little further (bringing span to 36 years) just in case things go even worse next year! My assessment though is I am in about 3:02 shape because of the chest infection of last month.
  • Options
    CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)
    Brilliant report KR. I am so chuffed for you. Did you have Beetroot juice again?

Thanks Speedy. Yes I took Beetroot juice as well in the days before the race, but only on the Thursday (x2 doses) and the Friday morning as I was travelling on the train and it wasn't practical to take a high staining drink like that in a bag and also you have to keep it refridgerated. Not sure it worked, but seeing as I got a PB I'll use it again image.

Rob, from a mental side of things I had thought of how to cope with a few scenarios. I know it's chessy but I did genuinely have people from on here comments floating around my head which helped me cope. I also tried to break the race down into chunks,1 mile, 10k, 10 miles, halfway, 20 miles, 22 miles, 24 miles & finish. I never thought of the whole race distance at any time during the day. I remember reading one of Sam's columns where she was travelling to her first marathon and saw a road sign saying 26 miles to her marathon and it seemed a very long way. I guess by breaking it up it seems more doable.

Steve, good luck for Sunday and hope the chest clears up a bit more for then. I bet race organisers hate it when you both turn up at the same race being from the same Club with the same name - confused.com! Your race plan looks good, I hope it comes off for you and you get that 36 year streak.

• Options

I've been in two minds the best way to mentally get from 20 to 26.2, but I really like the idea of splitting it into 20, 22, 24 and 26. Thanks, KR. I know that area well, so maybe it's just a case of pushing to the next landmark for each milestone.

My pacing strategy remains that I'll stick wtih 7:30 m/m until 20 miles and then see how I go. If the wheels fall off at 20+ (which they won't...) then I know that I can run at 8:30 m/m and still get round in under 3:25. That gives me a lot of mental strength, knowing how I can adapt to hit plan B if plan A doesn't quite work. I'm remaining positive, but it's always good to plan for each scenario.

Steve - you've obviously based your 3:02 estimate on years of experience. I'd be interested to hear how you calculate that.

• Options

Just dropping in to say massive best of luck to all of you racing on Sunday - will be there at the 1st mile marker, drinking coffee in my mum's front gardenimage

It was a huge pleasure to watch KR gunning down the home straight at Paris and run such an accomplsihed race - he is a very calm and controlled runner who I'm sure will soon be putting that new PB to the test. And great also to meet his always-smiling OHimage

Good luck Sunday Steve - will be interested to see how close you are to your finish time estimate!

• Options

Steve - plan looks good and i hope the chest infection dosen't sap your energy for the last 6 - best of luck with it and will look forward to hearing how you get on

Rob - something i use in races near the end is to visualise the distance to go (6 miles in your example) as one of my training routes - i do my friday tempo sessions on the river path up and down a 2 mile section so for me i would be telling myself its only a short training session's worth to go etc.  May help.

• Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

KR - Excellently even splits.  I think that your confidence in holding back at the start meant that you had plenty left to up the pace in the second half.  They always said that negative splitting was the way to run a PB and you proved it.  I do think that you were walking far too easily at the club on Tuesday though.  Next time try harder image.

Rob - Knowing the last few miles of the course should help you mentally.  Just picture your best runs along that stretch of the route and keep visualising them over the next two days.  Then come Sunday, all you have to do is put those positive memories back into your head.

I have ran London 5 times and can't remember the last 5 miles at all.  In my head I convert that to the last 5 miles of my training runs and keep pushing myself.  Then when I get to the 262yards to go sign I imagine being on a track with 200m to go.  Come off of the bend, seeing the line and sprinting my heart out for the last 100m.  That gave me goosebumps just writing that!!!

Sam - If you see a purple fairy at the first mile marker give me a shout image

• Options
    Oscarr/Martin - thanks for the tips on visualising. The last 6 miles is the same as three times round Battersea Park, which I run most weeks. 22 miles marks the first loop and so on... (you see, it's already working...) Because I collapsed so near the end last year, I have spent a lot of time running the last few miles of the route. It's been an important part of my preparation, particularly as this is only my second marathon. I can't wait to run that bend this year. I don't really remember that last year, so I am really looking forward to that bit. Thanks everyone.
  • Options
    Rob - good luck and look forward to hearing how it goes
  • Options
    Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭
    Rob - Remember that last year was most likely caused by everything else going on in your life.  This year you do not have those distractions, you are wiser from following this forum and better trained.  You WILL be alright.
  • Options

Collected my number this afternoon and so all set to go now!   I bought some beetroot juice (organic no less!) at the Expo on the promise of more oxygen getting to my muscles... and hearing that Mo and Paula use, plus a lot of Premiership footballers and most English internation rugby players....  probably been taken in by the hype but who knows?   Taken first one tonight (taste is quite pleasant) and plan to have one  tomorrow, Sat and Sun am.  The blurb says that Beetroot juice is high in Nitric Oxide which helps increase blood flow and oxygen delivery throughout the body and consequently boosts stamina...  I'll report back later on whether there might be any truth in that! 

I had an 'In body' test on the Virgin Active stand near the end of the Expo which I'd recommend to anyone going.  Only takes a few minutes and then you get a report looking at your Body Composition, Muscle-Fat analysis, etc.  It's free and you'll probably find the results quite pleasing...   

Starting to feel a bit nervous about Sunday now and the doubts are creeping in big time!   The less I've run over the past couple of weeks, the harder it seems to get, particularly mentally!   Anyway, hopefully everything will be okay on the day.  I know I'm fitter now than on my previous two marathons and so hopefully there's no real reason not to run a little quicker (overall) this time.  Am looking forward to it.  I can't think of a more significant sporting event that I've ever directly participated in and so am intent on enjoying it.    The target pace times are still spining around in my head (+/- about 5 secs) but think I'm going to see how I feel on the day before making a final decision on the exact target pace (with a definite no to going too fast, even if it feels good).

Good luck Rob, Steve, Martin and all others doing VLM this w/e.  I'm on the blue start and will be wearing my Hercules Wimbledon vest (yellow with a red diagonal stripe) with the 'cones' on my feet.  Probably won't see any of you but  there's always a chance....  Weather forecast looks reasonable for running at the moment.  May just be a little cold whilst we're waiting to start... when I'll probably be in a bin liner! 

• Options

Rob

apart from your other distractions, last year was hot which added to problems - this year will be cool and probably wet and have no doubt you will be fine if you stick to your pacing plan.

My target is 2:59 but based on the fact I didn't really train in Jan  and Feb and have lost speed and the last time I trained properly was Spring 2010, then a time of 3:02-3:04 is probably more likely. I did 3:07 last year and maybe am in slightly better shape as could only run twice a week last year and priority was to help someone to run 2:50 pace to halfway. The 83 half suggests I could probably run 2:56-2:59 if I had done enough miles and was healthy but I haven't and I'm not!

Re my namesake, I think he has competed about 7-10 times in the last 25 years (London Marathons and one national vets relay) I have done well over a 1000 in the same period so race organisers haven't been too confused though we tried at relays with me doing leg one and him leg two. Probably for first time in about 25 years he is in better marathon shape than me this year - though he was quicker in the relays two years ago when I was in about 2:45 marathon shape.

As he never races much and isn't well known for racing, good chance if  he reaches target - he is in age group above me where based on last year's times he will be in the top 3, then some people will think that is me and I can take the credit for his run!

• Options
    Steve Marathon Coach wrote (see)
    Looked at race video site and see you finished really well. Couldn't spot you early on though in the crowds

I had a look at the video and just about see myself on a few of the clicks and not on others.

I'm getting butteflies fro all you guys running this Sunday in London.

Was going to go out for a run tonight but didn't get back fro work till 11.15, so a bit too late - even for me!

How busy was it at the expo today chs? Best to get it out of the way now than battle with the crowds on Saturday.

• Options
    Not very busy yesterday afternoon KR.  I guess it will be much busier tomorrow as non local runners arrive in London for the w/e.   For me the Expo felt like a very large running shop.   Lots of things to buy, very few freebies.  Apart from the stands selling running related items, most of the charities seemed to have a stand and quite a few marathons from other countries were promoting their events.  There were also a few stands promoting nutrition products (hence the purchase of Beet It for me!).  Virgin have a large area at the end where you can eat and listen to talks from the stage.  Don't forget your goody bag on the way out if you want a can of London Pride, a razor, bag of rice, small deodorent, and a breakfast bar...!
  • Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Hi all 

KR wrote: AndyV, what have you got planned next. Are you going for an Autumn marathon or waiting till next Spring?

I've going to try and get some speed into my little stumps this summer (5-10k's) then train for Windsor Half in October. I probably won't train intensely for this though. After this, having just signed up, its back to Brighton next year for an all out assault on sub315 image. As I've already said I thought Brighton was an excellent event and would recommend it to all. Big but not yet crowded with awesome, near VLM style, support.

Re Mental Side. I do think this is really important in the last 6.2m. At Brighton I used the concept of the Gas Works at mile 21 as a sort of slingshot to propel me back to the finish along the promenade. I also broke it down into mile splits thereafter (2 down, three to go etc). My main concern at mile 20, when I was actually feeling pretty good, was the unknown of whether cramps would hit in the last few miles (as happened to me at Abingdon last year). As a result I was very cautious and stuck to 7.30mm or just over in the final six. Next time I would probably gamble abit more from mile 21 if feeling ok; especially if borderline for 315. Even being cautious I was passing runners left right and centre which tells you all you need to know about the need for consistent pacing.

Best of luck to all running VLM this weekend, lets keep the forum going a little longer....more work to be down and reports to be filed!

• Options

The expo's seem like an advertisers paradise and they know they will be guaranteed a 30,000+ footfall throughout it's duration. Probably more as partners/friends come too. The only good thing about the expo in Paris was the ASICS area as it had a shed loads of shoes & clothes & accessories there and a fantastic range of race t-shirt designs. When my wife came over to Pairs she came on her own on the Saturday there were a few guys on the train who still had to go to the expo, didn't know where it was or how to get there and didn't have any Euro's - talk about adding a bit more stress to the race!!

Why can't they just post out the race numbers, is it a question of proving who you are to be able to run?

• Options
    Interesting point Andy about the last 6.2 miles and the cramp issue. I was in the same boat too not knowing if it was going to happen again and I too felt okay at mile 20. Not sure if this is an indicator that it's gone well as by 20  the body is fatigued. I think by taking smaller chunks off your PB like you have is a good way to approach it too as I think with the distance it seems easier to push it too early and blow up.
  • Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Expo for me tomorrow as I dont get into London until 7.30 tonight. Not sure to get there early doors and get it over and done with or just say sod it and take the wife and kids for an airing.

KR -  I know we both had demons over the last 6 at Chester but do you think any of that was due to the terrain? As this is only my second run I have nowt to compare. Starting to get the hebe jebes here

• Options

Thanks Oscarr. I'll post my report on here when it's done.

Martin - your words were ringing round my head last night. Thanks. I'm positive but nervous. I can't do much about the nerves except run hard, but obviously can't do that now till Sunday.

Steve - thank you. The heat was certainly a contributing factor last year. It was a very unfortunate set of circumstances last year for my first marathon, but I have trained well, listened to all your advice and I'll stick very closely to my pace plan for the first 20. I'm very confident about that bit.  

AndyV - I'm glad that you didn't try to push the pace at 20 miles this year. I agree with KR. Knock smaller chunks off your PB and go in with confidence into your next one. Sub 3:15 and a sub 1:30 HM for you next time.

I went to the Expo earlier today. I had a very interesting chat with a sports scientist. I think I've been taking too many carbs in one hit at a time. He advised I waited until 5 miles for a sports drink and then half a gel at mile 7; sports drink at mile 10 and then half a gel at mile 12 and so on. In short, a drip feed of carbs rather than flooding the system. 

• Options
    Mennania, I'd get there early doors tomorrow if you can (as I suppose everyone else will too!) to get it over with.
    I know what you mean about Chester last year, it was more a case of the last 10 miles for me! I do remember you saying about the first 2 miles being too quick. I should have listened to you! And I do think the last 6 miles to Chester were more undualting than advertised which probably didnlt help. I think the difference with VLM is it is all pretty much flat so you can stick to an even pace throughout without having to compensate for going up (or down) any hills. Be calm fella, just pace it right for the first 10k and see how you get on - good luck.
  • Options

KR - Agreed, I think you should be able to have your number sent through the post.  However, I guess they want to generate footfall at the Expo.   Men - unless the wife and kids are keen runners then I'd suggest going early tomorrow. 

Andy - good comments re the last few miles.    I definitely hope to employ positive thinking, i.e., 'only a recovery run to go', 'only a parkrun to go', etc rather than 'The marathon starts here' or other such nonsense!   Remember we're over 75% done when we get to 20...   Hopefully the crowds positive energy will also help keep us going at this point.    I'm hoping that with the setting and the crowds, the last 6 will be the bit to enjoy most image

Think I'm ready to get to Blackheath...!  Only thing to decide now is how early to arrive...?!

• Options
    chs wrote (see)
    Think I'm ready to get to Blackheath...!  Only thing to decide now is how early to arrive...?!

Get there now to beat the queue for the Portaloo!

Acutally top tip fo the ladies - take a big cardboard box to create your own Portaloo (as seen in Paris). Used strategically between 2 cars the lady was in the box and used this to have a bit of privacy whilst squatting down for a wee.

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Thanks KR - mini wobble is over. Taking a lot of encouragement from your performance and am probably going to approach it like you re pace. 7.20s for first half a dozen and go from there.
  • Options

Good luck CHS and Mennania. Got those mini wobbles out of the way... until tomorrow... and Sunday morning. image

I like this line I heard earlier today: From mile 20 you're running west, back to the finish line.

• Options
    Good luck to you as well Rob.  With the training you've done, I know you'll do well.   Main thing though is to enjoy (I keep telling myself!) so make sure you're not pushing in the first few miles.  If I'm not feeling good in the first few miles on Sunday then I'm going to throw all the time targets out of the window and try to make sure the number one priority is still achieved.     
  • Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Good luck back rob, speeding down to the big smoke as I type, starting to look forward to mile 20 now in a weird way, gettin my race face on now grrrr. Hope I get a favourable pen at the red start.
  • Options

Just had a look at the asics race video KR.    I felt quite emotional at the end and that was after only following your own progress!   Brilliant performance from all of you.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/asics-target-262-video-the-race/8203.html

• Options

All the best to the London boys. Do yourselves proud

chs - word of warning re the beetroot juice...a chap on the sub 3.15 thread (Bike It I think) experimented with it  for the first time pre race and had a bit of a mare with stomach probs. Not saying it will or won't happen to you but be careful trying anything new !

• Options
    Also had a look at the video, agree it was quite moving because it was real. Don't know why we got the nipple greasing shot though ...