Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Colin

Comments

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Not my nipple... Good luck for VLM peeps.
  • Thanks for the advice Fraser.  To be completely honest GI problems are probably my biggest fear for Sunday.   I did chat to the Beet It guys before buying the stuff (70ml shots) and they assured me that there has been no feedback to them that this is a problem, the only issue is your pee can go pink.  So they were either telling the truth or totally desperate for a sale....   Hopefully the former.  I took one yesterday and today.   So far so good and I haven't gone pink yet!   Will have another one tomorrow and probably Sun morning.  They did suggest two on Sun am but I think this is too much of a risk for me.  

I know I shouldn't be experimenting at this time, especially with my issues, but that's the problem with going to the expo...  Dare I admit I came away with a caffinated gel for the last few miles as well!   Perhaps I'll just need to treat Sunday as a training exercise for next time...  In a way, that's all it is!

• Good luck to everyone doing VLM on Sunday - I shall be watching it on the telly.I'm sort of jealous in a strange way as I wish I could be there too - matbe next year? Keep a calm head and AVIT in the last 10k and as they say on the sub 3 thread - don't be shit.

Great infographic posted by the met office about the weather for the London marathon over the past 30 years.Thanks to RW on facebook for the link.

The video from Paris is online now. A great job done by Dan "the man". Well shot & edited - very professional and makes us humble runners look proper affletes! Nipple greasing is a normal activity PMJ. What wasn't shown on the video were the other parts that I lubed up! image

Later with Jools Holland is back on BBC2 - best live music show on TV, Paul Wellar is GOD!

• About the beet juice, I started it back when Sam said you only needed 150ml, and had a PB at Reading having had to do my longest run midweek that week following injury [mind you that was also the only race I've ever started significantly sloooooowly]...anyway, yes I had a bit of gut rot with it at first, but was having it unopposed or at best with breakfast.

I hope I haven't diminished the effect, but since I started having it at lunch alongside wodges of dense proteins and complex carbs, I have not had any worries.

Not sure I will have any tomorrow morning though!

KR I love everything about your post above!! I had the email from RW with the video link, will be watching it a few times today.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Just had first opportunity to read full report KR, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great peformance - I'm  chuffed for you; well deserved. 
  • Good luck to everyone for tomorrow. I'm at the blue start pen 3 with a white Adidas visor & vest on (I actually didn't mean to match them!) & BRUCE in big black letters on my chest so come say hello if you see me.

KR - inspiring report, thoroughly enjoyed it thank you.

Going through similar emotions to all others on here I think - 3.15? 3.20? Cramp? Missed a few sessions in March due to the heel pain post 1.28 HM but did my long runs & speed sessions... I guess the only way to find out is to be sensible early on & see how we feel out there. Can't wait to be honest. Weather looks ideal too. Already looking forward to the beers after!

All the best everyone!
  • Hi. I loved that video, KR. Brilliant.... although I'm still not sure why a) you let them video you grease your nipple (I'll put it down to nerves... ) ; and b) why it made the final edit. Lol. Anyway, superb stuff.

BLT - snap. See you on blue start, pen 3. I'm wearing a green vest with ROB on the front. Please come and say hi. I'm thinking of going a bit slower than 7:30 for the first 6 miles - perhaps 7:38 - and then picking it up. Aiming for 3:20-3:25. 

• Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyone for tomorrow. Don't be sh*t!!!
  • Nice one Rob I'll come find you. I'm going to try 7.25-30 for first few then will look to try and settle into a 7.20-23 rhythm. Aiming for 3.15

Look forward to meeting you (hopefully).
  • Martin - that quote, which has done the rounds all day, is still making me laugh. Good luck, go get a world record and thanks for all your support. My kids will be at mile 12 cheering you on. They can't wait to see you.

BLT - that sounds like a good pacing plan. I was going to start out at 7:30 but realised that I would probably end up doing 7:20 before too long, judging on my last two runs, so I've added an extra bit of discipline. I also took note of KR and Rosie's splits who paced superbly, particularly with some slower than MP early miles. 

Good luck everyone! 

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Good luck to all. We will have a great day! Run out of food here but think i am as done as I am gonna be. Just reading back and concentrating on getting the right head on. Nervous as I could be. Hope I'm not sh*t!
  • reiki - I'd stick to what you know tomorrow morning if in doubt - good luck

Cheers Birch. Know you gave it your all in Boston, shame the weather was tough and you had a tough time.

BLT, I was in he same boat last week. I wanted to get my target but knew I couldn't overcook it at the start, but sounds like you know what to do too.

Martin, hope you have enough purple paint to cover you little fairy body - go for it mate!!!

Rob - didn't know they were filming that bit, but made me laugh seeing it i the video! I guess nothing's sacred, but we all do it. Hope you can mee tup with a few runners fromon here, but I'm sure there'll be other runners gunning for the same kind of target.

Mennania - You probably don't need much more food by now, just make sure you have an exit stragery in the morning!

I'll be swtiching over from the usual kids telly i the morning to watch the VLM, so will be cheering you all on - Very best of luck to you all!!! image Can't wait to find out how you get on.

• AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭
    Will be watching on the telly tomorrow with a cuppa.

Best of luck to all running tommmy

PS Love the "don't be shit". Might use that as my next mara post 20m mantra.
  • Good luck to everyone doing marathon -enjoy but pace well
  • Been a lazy Sunday morning for a change watching VLM on TV. Looking forward to hearing how you all got on, the suspence is killing me!
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    3.13.05. No dramas.
  • 2:59 - think 20 seconds 88:30 at halfway felt at limit but just about held together. run ok but bag with clothes, phone, money, cards etc has disappeared and got a bit cold waiting around 2 hours after race though officials were good.

hoping it appears later today!

• They just phoned - it's back at finish! Unfortunately I live at start!

• Short report: 3.06.30 so a slight miss on target of 3.05 but a new pb.  Reasonably happy!

Longer report: 

Arrived in Blackheath this morning not really sure what to expect.  With a 5k pb of 19.25 and a HM pb of 1.29.33, was I being delusional in hoping to achieve 3.05?  On the other hand, the training had gone reasonably well overall and I wondered whether 3.05 might actually be slightly conservative.  Could I get nearer to 3 hrs?  So, I arrived thinking I’d target a pace between 6.50 and 7.0 mins/mile and see how I felt…. I was a bit concerned that it was clear blue sky when we started and knew the heat could be an issue, otherwise conditions appeared perfect.

So off we went and garmin splits for first 13 were: 7.02, 6.44, 6.37, 6.43, 6.50, 6.51, 6.52, 6.45, 6.48, 6.51, 6.50, 6.47, 6.55.   2nd to 4th miles mainly downhill which helps explain quicker pace.  Average at this point was 6.48 on the garmin.  VLM recorded me as 1.29.59 at halfway.   First half really felt quite comfortable and I kept on taking small amounts of water to counteract the sun and likely dehydration.  Only 13.1 to go…

14th and 15th miles were still good at 6.44 and 6.52.  Then unfortunately I started to get a stitch.  First on the left hand side and then the right hand side.  Had to slow down to make it more bearable: 7.10, 7.09, 7.04.  Started to feel more comfortable.  6.59, 6.31.  Dunno where that came from at mile 20 and only realised after looking at the split times post race.  Perhaps some wind assistance?   Only a recovery run to go… 7.22, 7.28, 7.37, only a parkrun to go… 7.01, 6.58, thought I saw the 26 mile marker, hooray, only 385m to go.  Got there, damn it’s still 800 to go!  Bit demoralised but the end is in sight – will be glad when it’s over!  7.45 for mile 26.  7.24 pace to finish.  Garmin measured 26.47 miles. Garmin and VLM time 3.06.30. 

So reasonably happy.  Slightly disappointed to miss 3.05 but felt I ran okay.  Perhaps took on too much fluid which caused the stitch.  Will be interested in other people’s views on the conditions.  Were pretty good overall but perhaps a little sunnier and a little more wind in the latter stages than ideal?

Brilliantly organised event and crowds were fantastic.  My 14 yr old daughter did the mini marathon (last 3 miles of the main course) so it was a family day out.  We both really enjoyed and will be back next year! 

Thanks to everyone on this thread for the great advice that has been flying about over the past few months.  Have learnt a lot and a great introduction to these forums for me.   Look forward to hearing how everyone got on today...

• Steve - brilliant time - another sub 3 and after all the injury and sickness issues you've had you must be really pleased, well done and many congrats

Menna - nice one

chs - great run and you should be pleased with a PB

• KR - Belated congratulations for nailing your target in Paris. Very well done.  First time I've been back on the thread for a while, so sorry it's so late.

Well done to everyone who was running today.  It looked to be a great atmosphere.

• Steve - well done. Fantastic time. 

Well done Menna and chs. Superb running. 

I had a good run until mile 24. I hit the half on target (1:42) and felt good at 30k and 35k. And then I stopped for a wee under the underpass and never got going. My legs had gone. Walked for a bit and then managed to run the last mile. I saw the clock ticking and was determined to achieve at least goal C of beating my PB, which I did coming in at 3:41:23. A frustrating time given my other PBs but I also enjoyed the last mile, coming down from Big Ben to the Mall. I don't remember any of that last year. 

My watch measured 26.98 miles, so either my watch is out (unlikely) or I weave more than I think. As the miles went on, I found that my watch was further and further out. Towards the end, it was half a mile difference, which really threw my pacing. I would've been better just following the 3:30 pacers and nailing that, but instead I was going off my watch time. 

I'm not sure that I'm really cut out for this marathon lark, but I've really enjoyed the process, learning so much from everyone here and had a superb day. I've learnt so much about becoming a better runner and have definitely improved over these 16 weeks, but I think that I'm going to focus on half marathons and improve my speed by joining the local running club. 

I hope everyone else had a great day. Perfect conditions and a brilliant atmosphere. 

• Mennania - very nice. Will wait for your report

chs -  great running. Glad the beet juice didn't cause any issues !

Steve - you are indeed the man 

Rob. Don't make any hasty decisions tonight. The last few miles are never easy and that's when it's always lost or won. Have some time to chill and reflect on a great first 2/3 of the race

• Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭

Excellent time Mennania.  Hope that you are pleased with that.

Brilliant to keep your sub-3 streak going Steve.  Shows how much experience can make up for a lack of training.

CHS - You should be very happy with 3.06, even though just outside your target time.

Rob - Well done, but you should have just whipped it out and weed on the run in the tunnel!!!  26.98m is a big chunk of extra mileage as well.  Well done.

I'll do a full report tomorrow.  2.49.44 for me today.  Everything went perfectly. Loved the whole race, played up to the crowd at bit.  Thanks for the shouts MM.  New World Record Holder for the Fastest Fairy.  Apparently I've been on Sky News and mentioned on the BBC highlights show.  Such a media Whore!!!!

• Rob - don't give up on the marathons!  I've had a look at quite a few peoples 5k split times and a lot of us struggled in the last few miles.  I don't think the wind was helping at that point.  

Steve - well done on your sub 3 again.  Don't know how you manage it with the injuries you had but as someone said a long time ago on this thread 'form is temporary, class is permanent'. 

Men - Not sure what you were aiming for but well done.

Fraser - thanks.  Beet it didn't cause any problems.  Don't know if it helped or not...

• Rob - totally agree with FW - i have made some wrong statements just after a marathon which didn't go to plan (Steve Redgrave moments) then when the dust settles i look back on the run with a better and more settled perspective - enjoy tonight and your PB then enjoy resting for a few days then start to review the race and make your plans then - you did get a PB and we are all happy when that happens regardless
  • Mennania, fantastic PB well done on getting your sub 3.15 target by a comfortable margin. What were your splits for this, did you have a stronger second half?

Steve - You did in it!!!! Very well done on getting yet another sub 3 marathon time. Given your set backs getting to the start line to this one, your race experience has really shone through to achieve this, really pleased for you. Glad you got your bag back and it wasn't nicked, but something you don;t need to happen after running 26.2 miles in the opposite direction.

CHS, congratulations on your new PB. A PB is still a PB and your time certainly should give you confidence that 3.05 (or quicker) should be within your grasp. Your earlier splits look like a sub 3 attempt and the last few miles after 20 looked like it was tough. An excellent result and chuffed you got a PB.

Rob - I am really pleased that you got a PB and at least your C target. I know (and you probably do to) that you can get better and get a time more relfective of your ability for this distance. I know it is soo tough after stopping to get going again, as when I have had cramp and had to stop to stretch it has been nearly impossible to get going again. Even last week ater finishing and stopping literally moments later I was struggling to walk and my legs had seized up.  Last year after Chester when I had run a second progressively worst time of 3.36.xx I certainly felt the same way and wondered if I was cut out for the marathon. Give it a few days/weeks before making any decisions. Maybe concentrating on the Half marathon in the Autumn might give you a boost to have another go at the marathon? Never say never.

• W.O.W. Martin, truely supereb time. Considering the training and times you were getting i training, a big PB potential was on the cards and you nailed it big time - even quicker than Nel McAndrews! I found out your time earlier tody and found it hard not to shout about it!.

Have you seen this confirmation on the VLM website - even got a picture of you!

Are you going to run for fun again next year image

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Mennania, well chuffed for you

Martin -  knew you could (would) do it - I did say so image 

look forward to reports on sub 3:15  -  good work, chaps . . . .

• Martin - congrats - what's next ? i see the world record for dressed as a beer bottle is still above 4 hrs !!!!!