Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Colin

Comments

• KR, enjoying reading the updates (just catching up at work as not online at hiome at the moment which is a pain!). I'm going to follow your schedule (even if your target time is a little ambitious for me!) in my quest for a PB at Marathon of the North in Sunderland - 3 weeks after Paris. Shaking off a few Christmas cobwebs now... and will be ready to hit the programme in a week or so. Boom!

My previous marathon PB is 3.52 so it's a big ask even to get under 3.30 but I think it's possible....

• Hopefully the gym work will help the cramping. A sub 3:30 should be doable SP
  • Hi Ruth, thanks for joining the thread, I've got a few questions regarding nutrition to get the ball rolling.

As I normally do most of my runs in the evening, I tend to either have my dinner at 6.00pm, then go for a run 2 hours later or go for a run then eat later. Either way I still get a bit hungry later. What sort of thing would be good to eat later on in the evening to substitute my sweet tooth (biscuits)?

I do tend to eat fairly healthly on the whole, is there anything that would be good to eat in the afternoon if I was going for a run in the evening then having my dinner later?

Dare I ask, are there any foods or drinks I should be avoiding?

As I have had a few problems with cramp in my calves in the later stages of a marathon, is there anything I can introduce to my diet that will help this? I kbnow you can get electrolyte supplements, but are these best taken on a regular basis rather than the week before a marathon? One to think about!

Thanks, Colin

• Thanks for the link MM - very interesting reading. I'm hoping the gym work will help my overall strength and want to work on the core and leg strength. I have never used weights before as part of my running training, so hopefully it will make a difference.

Oscar, I think you are right about Clubs catering for an overall number of runners rather than individuals however, I think there should be an option to have some structure there for those that want it.

Good luck with the training SImon, hope there's some good advice on here to pick up on - go for the 3.30!

7 miles tonight with an average pace of 8.14 and av HR of 145 bpm - probably my lowest average HR so far!

I'm enjoying the mix of paces doing 6.2x paces last night and 8.1x - 8.2x paces tonight. Strangely I was reading an article in the Dec issue of RW about the benefits of running more slower miles. Apparently it takes 30 - 60 hours from a hard effort and that by running slow helps promote the flow of blood thus rebuilding damaged tissues!

• Encouraging re the heart rate and a good controlled run KR
  • Pleased that all is going well KR. I presume you meant to say it takes 30-60 hours to recover from a hard effort?
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    knight rider wrote (see)
    Praying she doesn't say wine or coffee. image
  • Minni wrote (see)
    knight rider wrote (see)
    Praying she doesn't say wine or coffee. image
     I think I know the answer to this question! image

Yes I did mean recover Gul - well spotted!
  • Nike have launched a new advertising campaign for 2012 with the Olympics in mind with various athletes stating their pledge for the year. Clever stuff and I like the use of real “in training, in the moment” photos that sum up each athlete's determination.

I like Mo Farah's mantra of “Don't dream of winning, train for it”. I do believe we all need some kind of motivational mantra that kick's your ar$e when the going gets tough.
    What's yours?

• KR - I only have 2 so far - on a LSR to stop me going too fast "glide don't push" and during a marathon race to focus my mind on getting tactics right "strong through 21" 
  • knight rider wrote (see)

I do believe we all need some kind of motivational mantra that kick's your ar$e when the going gets tough.
    What's yours?

AVIT!

Also, the sub 3 thread's mantra of "Don't be sh t" sums up sport pretty well image

• I like the "Don't be sh*t" mantra. 

Last year I used "I am good enough, I will not fail" after about 18 miles at VLM.  And then for the last 0.2m it was the Chariots of Fire music in my head as I sprinted (or so I thought) down The Mall.

• Martin H wrote (see)

I like the "Don't be sh*t" mantra. 

Another vote from me for this mantra. Although I don't think I would have Chariots of fire in my head, more like AC/DC Back in Black.

Tried a new route out tonight which added a bit more interest as there's only a limited number of out and back routes you can do from your house. 5.5 miles in 40 minutes exactly. Not a bad route with a good mixture of up and downhill. Structure of the run was first mile steady, 3 miles @ 7 min mile pace, then 1m steady.

8.01, HR 137 bpm
    7.04, HR 161 bpm
    6.52, HR 169 bpm
    6.48, HR 179 bpm (not sure what happened there, must have been a hill?)
    7.23, HR 168 bpm
    7.34, HR 163 bpm (0.5 mile)

Looking forward to my gym induction tomorrow. Are there any specific weights/machines that are good to concentrate on for the core & strength work to benefit running? Is it lighter weights but more/faster reps?

• knight rider wrote (see)
    Martin H wrote (see)

I like the "Don't be sh*t" mantra. 

Another vote from me for this mantra. Although I don't think I would have Chariots of fire in my head, more like AC/DC Back in Black.

Martin, shouldn't it have been something by Deep Purple image
    Nice pacing there KR on your steady run. Always good to try a new route.
  • Very apt Gul image.

Nice session last night KR.  The 3rd quicker mile looks a bit quick with high HR so may have been hills that affect your effort level which then affects your pacing.  I'd always prefer to go a few secs faster than slower. though.

With regards to weights/exercises, tell the gym training that you want ideas that will help core strength to help your running.  They should be able to give you a wide range of exercises to do.  I always use free weights in the gym, doing chest work on a stability ball and back work on a bosu ball.  These help to strengthen your whole body while you work out as you are having to hold yourself steady.

• AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Re the mantra:

I like Tony's Trial (Marathon Talk Podcast) mantra. When the going get's tough....

"fxxx ya legs"image

Re gym work:

I generally go for an whole body workout rather than just run specific. The key for me is doing more reps slowly with smaller weights than I could handle . This has helped me to stay injury/niggle free for some 16 months now.

Personal favs which are perhaps more run specific are:

Squats on the Smiths Machine, Seated Abductor and Adductor machines

• Martin H wrote (see)

I did my normal 4 mile easy lunchtime run today.  Put my HR strap on outside the gym instead of inside as usual and my HR was all over the place.  Within the first mile I had readings as high as 187bpm which is about the same as the end of a short race even though I was just taking it easy.   Over time you will get to trust the readings!!!

That sounds like you didn't have a decent contact with the strap as you weren't warmed up and sweating enough. A quick lick of the contacts before you put it on should fix it - just don't think too hard about what you're licking!

I don't have a motivational mantra as such, but when I'm wavering during training I just remind myself why I'm doing it and what will happen if I don't. That's normally enough at least to get me out the door - once I'm actually running it's not usually a problem as I'm pretty good at pushing myself to the right level.

• Good session KR - HRs look fine.

re the weights just ask to keep leg weights to minimum - with the running you don't want to overload but a few gentle calf and hamstring and quads weights with some glute work shouldn't do any harm if you start very gently

• Hi Colin,

well done on getting through.

Try and find a window to do your injury prevention core work and stretches we went through at boot camp. See you in a few weeks for an mot.

sarah

• Thanks for popping in Sarah. I have been trying to do more stretching as a whole and have also been doing the plank / side plank / squats / 2 footed hops on a regular basis. Would be interested to know of any other you think would be appropriate too.

Gul - how far had you run when you posted this morning? I know you like to get up early & run. I think with marathon running and a busy life/family, it's a question of how to fit the training in around other things. I prefer running in the evenings as you can probably tell from some of the times that I post at.

Andy V - good to know the weights have benefited you in your running, thanks for the tip about the reps.

Good point Martin about trusting the HR readings

BOTF - I've had a look at the instructions for the HR monitor strap and can't see the part about licking the contacts image.

• Didn't get round to doing a Twitter follow friday last week, so here goes:

@phonictonic (that's my one - forgot to add it last week!)
    @sammurphyruns
    @BartAalbers (great cartoonist & illustrator)
    @Sodapic (interesting links to design, photography& art websites)

• Knight rider wrote (see)

Didn't get round to doing a Twitter follow friday last week, so here goes:

@phonictonic (that's my one - forgot to add it last week!)
    @sammurphyruns
    @BartAalbers (great cartoonist & illustrator)
    @Sodapic (interesting links to design, photography& art websites)

Que?!!

KR - just 3 miles easy this morning, so not too early a start image When marathon training was in full swing I used to get up at 4:40/45 and out of the door at 4:55 for the midweek MLRs and weekend LSRs.

• You're hardcore Gul! I don't know how you can do that so early, what time do you go to bed to be able to get up at those times and actually function?

The list above is a Twitter thing if you are into that / use it.

• KR - 10pm is my usual bedtime, which is okay for a 5:15/5:30 start, but I'd try to make it 9:30 if I had a really early run planned. It's getting more difficult though as the children are getting older and going to bed later. As for twitter,  I'm a bit of a technophobe; after a day at work, I've had enough!
  • Beware Of The Fish wrote (see)
    That sounds like you didn't have a decent contact with the strap as you weren't warmed up and sweating enough. A quick lick of the contacts before you put it on should fix it - just don't think too hard about what you're licking!

I usually do but was in a rush.  My HR does not taste nice though image.

KR - Not sure what Steve and the others will say but I never use any weights other than bodyweight for leg exercises.

• The best training for running is simply running but some core strength work is advisable and if you have the spare time, a few weights, whether leg or arms or lower back could make you stronger and reduce the risk of injury. It certainly isn't crucial though and more of an optional extra and you need to start gently and increase gradually..
  • KR - Back in Black is almost my perfect HM cadence pace and works really well since I never seem to get fed up of it

Looks like you're going nicely. Keep at it !

• Loving the AC/DC talk. I can't run to them though cos I have to sing along and that's not possible at pace!

Re weights, in weeks when I can't get to Body Pump class I do workouts from this book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Guide-Weight-Training-Running/dp/1932549439/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325875464&sr=8-1
    Apologies for not doing a proper link but Chrome doesn't work.

I prefer to do Body Pump, even though it's not running specific and possibly involves too much leg stuff, but I really enjoy it and you've got to enjoy your exercise. After all, this running lark is just a hobby in the end. I know I could use heavier weights than I do for squats (currently 17kg plus the bar for maybe 5 mins of continuous squatting) but only if someone lifted it onto my shoulders for me (weak arms!) so am limited to that weight anyway. I do find the leg strength a bonus in the last few miles of the marathon when I'm passing people whose legs are giving out on them!

I also do a class called Body Balance which is a combination of Yoga, Pilates and Tai Chi. It's way less boring than an hour of just Yoga or Pilates and is more challenging. Especially the balance track. I did it for the first time in months last night (just rejoined the gym - too expensive for all year round!) and boy did I feel it!

If your gym offers any classes like these I'd recommend giving some a try.
  • Had the induction at the gym tonight - pretty much a formality really. Good thing was the instructor was very enthusiatic and was up for sorting out a core programme as well. They do classes too Speedy, but I doubt I would be able to get there at the times they have, it's bad enough getting home on time some nights, and most of my running times vary greatly depending on the day I've had. Going to take my kit with me to work on Monday and try and get out at lunchtime for my first weights session. Plan to just do weights once a week Steve and see how I get on, TBH until now I've never used weights in training so will see how it goes.

Fraser, Back in Black is a classic album and I never get tired of hearing it. If I had to choose though I'd pick Bon Scott as a vocalist and the Highway to Hell album is probably one of my favourites. I have inadvertantly got my 7 year old boy into AC/DC too and he always asks for it in the car (when his Mum isn't there!

• Did you see them at Download a couple of years ago? They were AWESOME. Only AC/DC could command their very own stage, next to (and bigger than) the main stage.