Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Rosie

Comments

• oscarr wrote (see)
    Simon - that's a great time for that course and if you train properly who knows what you are capable of in the marathon - when's your next race and what distance?  Mum's are longsuffering aren't they !!!

Next race is the Hell in the Middle run in Staffordshire.... they don't reveal how far it is but it's something over ten miles! Loved it last year. Then will be time to focus on Northumberland Half Marathon in March. Been training quite hard but need to create a proper schedule.

Rosie - keep up the good work. Am considering the Kilomothon (or half kilomothon as it appears to be) on April 1st... any idea what it's like?

• Rosie - the track at Saughton is the one I usually use - once a week usually on either Tues or Fri aft. It's free if you have a leisure access card (although I have a vague notion they're meant to charge me but seem quite happy to waive this) and normally very quiet.  I think Corstorphine running club use it once a week though don't know what evening they're on there. It's on Saughton Drive. It's lower tech than Meadowbank but I prefer it

All set for Buchlyvie on Sat ? I'll keep an eye out for a grey bouncing thing

• Rosie, first time doing this on phone hence short message! But just wanted to say well done for taking on some pointers. It will be so worth it.great to see all the encouragement!
  • Rosie, you've got your 10k this weekend, how exciting! Is it on Saturday? So swap Sat and Sun around on schedule. That means FOUR MILES on Sunday. Not fourteen. Or forty image

Keep up the good work!

• What have you been eating today then Rosie...? Just heading off for a run home after the most stressful day for some years..........Daisy Telecomunications, BT and telephone issues regarding our move next week all gone pear shaped..........useless telecommunications companies now I am in trouble!!!

Hope the 10K goes well Rosie and dont forget to rest up Sunday all the best for the weekend!!

• Oooh dear - good luck with that mcs - BT left us without phone/Internet/TV for nearly 3 months last time we moved  (had to pay through the nose for Openzone and then got continually told we weren't supposed to use it within a residential zone every time it locked us out) despite promises that we would be connected within a week of our move - ahh the joys! Vision box still doesn't even work - despite being told it would!

Rosie - Looking forward to hearing about the 10K - guess it's early enough in  the training that the extra miles won't be slowing you down? Do you have a target you're going for?  

• Hey Rosie, hi everyone
    Time to look ahead to next week's training.

Entering the second month of training, mileage is increasing and more speedwork is coming in too. Rosie's schedule is pretty much spot-on for the sub 3.30 plan this week (week 5) - the only change is that I've put in a double day on Wednesday. But Rosie, PLEASE don't do this if you have any accummulated fatigue in your legs as it's imperative to be feeling fresh on training day! How's the strength training being going, btw? Are you managing to fit it in? And while everyone else is probably dreading it, you'll no doubt be looking forward to the 3 hour run in week 7 image

The plan for the training day is to do a time-based long run as a group (well sort of as a group - each runner will go at their own pace within the session.) It'll be a warm up on the track and then we'll head down to the canal towpath for an out and back route. Me and Steve will both be there, gunning up and down on our bikes (!) to keep contact with you all and supply motivation, drinks and feedback!
    Then there'll be a final 20 mins at MP back at the track. 

Week Five w/c 23/1/12 (40M)
    Mon Rest + strength training
    Tue 7M CONSISTING of 1M jog, then 5M (or 45 mins) fartlek, then 1M jog
    Wed Run 1) 3 miles slow Run 2) 8M easy
    Thu 5M (40 mins) steady
    Fri Rest + strength training. COMPULSORY NO RUNNING DAY
    Sat 2 hour 20 min long run with last 20 mins at marathon pace (training day) 
    Sun 4 miles easy
  • ok, that's me busted, Sam. imageimage I actually already have the three hour run written in three different colours of ink (yes, I do have a mental age of twelve sometimes!) in my diary I'm looking forward to it so much! As I observed yesterday, I really should get out more.. image

Thanks for the encouragement about tomorrow. Really looking forward to it. I hurt my back lifting a silly sized dog at work this morning though (it weighed more than me, and unfortunately it needed lifting and there was only one person to help, and they'd hurt their back already lifting another huge dog) so am not sure about making the sub 43, but think am going to see how it feels? I'm up for having a go but feeling like I shouldn't push if back is sore (think it's just a pull?). Am I just talking myself out of it though? Hmm..

So, only another 6 hours seven minutes and I'll have made it through CNRD number 4!

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Hey Rosie, hi everyone
    Time to look ahead to next week's training.

Entering the second month of training, mileage is increasing and more speedwork is coming in too. Rosie's schedule is pretty much spot-on for the sub 3.30 plan this week (week 5) - the only change is that I've put in a double day on Wednesday. But Rosie, PLEASE don't do this if you have any accummulated fatigue in your legs as it's imperative to be feeling fresh on training day! How's the strength training being going, btw? Are you managing to fit it in? And while everyone else is probably dreading it, you'll no doubt be looking forward to the 3 hour run in week 7 image

The plan for the training day is to do a time-based long run as a group (well sort of as a group - each runner will go at their own pace within the session.) It'll be a warm up on the track and then we'll head down to the canal towpath for an out and back route. Me and Steve will both be there, gunning up and down on our bikes (!) to keep contact with you all and supply motivation, drinks and feedback!
    Then there'll be a final 20 mins at MP back at the track. 

Week Five w/c 23/1/12 (40M)
    Mon Rest + strength training
    Tue 7M CONSISTING of 1M jog, then 5M (or 45 mins) fartlek, then 1M jog
    Wed Run 1) 3 miles slow Run 2) 8M easy
    Thu 5M (40 mins) steady
    Fri Rest + strength training. COMPULSORY NO RUNNING DAY
    Sat 2 hour 20 min long run with last 20 mins at marathon pace (training day) 
    Sun 4 miles easy

oh wow, just read this about next Saturday. Yey!! Sounds fab!! Though you guys being on bikes scares me somewhat. I hope those are just because Choisty and Knight Rider are so fast. I should probably warn you it needs to be a super easy route navigation wise to follow for me (I know it sounds like you can't go wrong on a canal towpath, but have managed it before!...admittedly this may be partly because I like being vaguely lost while running and just roaming about for hours). Does Sid do herding? I may need him..

Double day Wednesday suits me well. I'm away with work but have gaps between meetings and no puppy to walk as he's staying here being spolit by his dogsitter. Point taken about accumulated fatigue.. Will evaluate leg tiredness status before the second session, and try to act appropriately image

• kaz1 wrote (see)

Hi Rosie ,

I know running is the one thing that makes me make some effort to eat, but I do tend to forget when busy and even cook for everyone else without having myself. image Trying to get a grip of it............ homemade gluten/dairy/egg etc free pancakes for breakfast this morning with syrup. image

Berlin was ok- very very hot for me,  the highest temp I normally run in is about 14( I stay very far north!!) so high 20's did complicate things a bit. Standing at the start I made a concious decision that my goal was going to finish, and not to push in the heat.......... so I treated it basically like a LSR and finished with a 4:09:34 which I thought was ok considering........... So onwards and hopefully faster!!! I am following a training plan this time which I didn't do last time, all I did was run what I felt like at whatever pace was comfortable at the time( no speedwork or nothingimage). And I am glad to say I am noticing good improvements in both speed and endurance. I just wonder, if sometimes ,I am not pushing myself hard enough i.e are my LSR's to slowly paced?? I am trying to go by HR on the LSR and stay within 60-70%.............. all seems very complicated!!!!image

Good Luck with the new eating regime!!image

Ah, northerliness most welcome. I think most of this thread are from Reading so it's good to have some balance image

From what you were saying about having been underweight due to the diet probs it sounds like your body has taken a real hammering in the past. Watching friends who have recovered from very low weights I know there can be long term issues with damage caused by that, so please take care of yourself. I know that's easy to say and very difficult to do with a diet as restricted as yours needs to be though. Just concerened at how tough it sounds for you. I really can empathise with the feeling of making an effort to eat, though am aware my situation sounds a lot easier to manage diet wise than yours, so shall have my fingers crossed you find solutions that work and help you fuel your training if that's the motivation that works for you.

I did Berlin in 2009 and remember how hot it was then so you have my sympathy with that too! I tend to run in long sleeves and long tights as have a lot of scarring due to a burn injury and though I don't mind explaining to people, someone once tripped over while staring at my scars in a race image so have felt a weird sense of responsibility since then. This does mean it's tough if it's really hot, but living in Edinburgh fortunately that isn't a problem I have much here image

• Thanks for the encouragement knight rider, oscarr, Emma and Ruth. image

Oops, Sleepy Bear! Points for effort though I think. Soups often conspire against me too. They are my usual fall back when eating out but am vegetarian. I’d never had a problem with mushroom (until now imageimage) though!

Sorry to hear about the rubbish day mcs, that sounds a real headache. Did you manage to run at lunchtime to beat the stress?

Simon, I did the kilomathon in 2010 when it started at Ingilston and went over the Forth bridge which was a fab course, (but then last year they moved it to the same day as London marathon and I use my GFA place to run for Samaritans in that every year I can so missed it). It was pretty well organised and smoothly done though deeply sad as a chap died on the course at Kirkliston and most of the field had to run past/around the resuscitation attempt. It was one of those awful things where you feel you’re intruding into the trauma of those involved, but there is nothing practical you can do. The new course they were talking about for this year sounded good too, though not quite as good as the bridge. Are you thinking of the Spring or the Autumn one? I think they’re doing two here this year? I seem to remember one being on the day I’m doing Reading and the other on the day I was thinking of doing Loch Ness though which I was disappointed about as I’d have liked to have done one.

Thanks for the track tips Fraser. I may try the Saughton one as well as Meadowbank and see. Hoping to experiment next week if I get chance.. Good luck for tomorrow if I don't see you before the start.

So, to reporting on food; stuck to the breakfast and snack target Ruth suggested – am trying to listen to all your wisdom on doing things in a sustainable achievable way for the longer term rather than leaping in and not maintaining it – breakfast went fine – cereal, milk, banana, orange juice. Lunch was less impressive as was at work and didn’t get a lunch break or a coffee break. Fortunately finished early at 1700 though so had the snack I’d taken with me for midmorning then, and pitta bread and cottage cheese on getting home. Now need to sort dinner. Hmm…

• Rosie - Thanx.   I'm lots further  north than yourself -Orkney, so see even less of the sun!!! Plenty of wind and Rain thou!!!
  • So according to the plan I'm hoping for a sub 43min 10K today. That's 6:55 pace?  Unfortunately after ibuprofen and rest my back still seems undecided as to whether it has forgiven me for yesterday's lifting crimes and will be fully participating in this effort.

Hmm. It's an incredibly civilised late start time today though so I still have a few hours to try to pursuade it to forgive me.. Any last minute tips?

Is anyone else racing anywhere this weekend?

• kaz1 wrote (see)
    Rosie - Thanx.   I'm lots further  north than yourself -Orkney, so see even less of the sun!!! Plenty of wind and Rain thou!!!
    oh wow, properly north then. Have you done many of the scottish islands half marathons? I've often thought of doing a mini-tour and doing a bunch of them one year, but never quite managed the time off..
  • Rosie - Good Luck for today! I hope the back eases. Only done The Hoy Half Marathon last year - injured!! I've only been running for 18 months so I've only done 2 half marathons and 1 marathon..........no 10k's - they scare the h*ll out of me!!!image
  • Hey Rosie - hope you have a good run! Just remember it's only a training indicator this time - not the be all and end all so don't hurt yourself for the sake of it.

Last xc for me tomorrow. Was meant to be the penultimate one but the original last one was cancelled due to some motorbike race - booo. 

KAz1 - Orkney - ooooh - we're supposed to be heading that way in June I think - my other half was invited up to do the half.  Hope he can get time off - not sure yet! Beautiful part of the world!  I loved my last visit.

Rosie - islands - do it do it do it.  Think you might enjoy the Cape Wrath Challenge too - I've done it 3 times (although never the full solo marathon on the last day) - google it - brilliant people and place.  We're hoping to get back - again, if Ben can get time off.

Walkies and an easy run/strides for me..... image

• Sleepy Bear - I really want to do Cape Wrath Challenge too..........maybe next year.........?? Planning on doing that half again in June too. image
  • Hows the back Rosie? Had quite a few problems with mine over the years so sympathise with yo.....all the best. Good to see you are fuelling up well done. Ran last night so up to 24 this week and had a busy day today taking little one riding and heading to airport to pick up relatives but out in the am for an hour with son in law speedy g.
    Have a good weekend Rosie and all. Rissotto for tea foe me with prawns...........
  • Rosie, how did you get on? Where you able to run it even? Really hope the back isn't too serious and you're on the mend. If it's still painful then give running a miss for a couple of days.... but don't be afraid to gently move it (rotation, side flexion, gentle flexion and extension) so it doesn't seize up.

Good to see you're managing to fuel up a bit better, too.

Yep, I think the route for next Saturday is pretty much sticking to the canal - I too have a great tendendy for getting lost (I think that's how I got into distance running... can remember when I was about 20 heading out from my mum's for a run (south London) and then ending up lost in Kent and following the motorway signs saying 'London' to get back image But we'll have a map! image  Sid will also be with is dog sitter that day so no herding duties on offer. I'm staying the night before btw, but not sure where - perhaps you could find out from Alice at RW or Stacey at Asics.

• Thanks Sam. The back was alright, it's a bit sore but just a pull and haven't had any functional issues with it. It's a bit of an occupational hazard as liftng is unavoidable sometimes and they are often awkward lifts, I've been lucky so far though, am as careful as I can be lifting and the soreness has always resolved ok so far.

Buchlyvie 10K was lots of fun. Really glad I did it, but wow, the weather! I need Fraser to back me up here but the wind was that special sort of wind that I hadn't really come across before moving up here where which ever direction you are running in it's blowing hard against your direction of intended travel. For the first 20minutes of the race the rain was quite hard work as well, and I'm sure there was hail at one point too! The course was fun but I found the shale/giant gravel? (I'm rubbish with rocks!) and mud for what felt like at least 7km of the course didn't make for very fast going (Fraser finished miles before me so I'm not going to ask him to back me up on that as clearly he had the hang of it!).

Had a really fun time despite all that, it seemed a super friendly race and enjoyed it. I didn't realise until getting back to my car though that being hit on the medial aspect of my ankle (right on the medial malleolus) by a large-ish rock that was thrown up from the shale-stuff by a group of runners alongside me at 4km, and the associated pain which I'd sort of dismissed and forgotten about (to be honest at the time the hail and cold on my face were hurting more) and the warm slight pooling sensation around my foot were related. Oops! I am so absurdly accident prone! Quite a messy cut and a very silly looking large bruise target-like around the malleolus extending up my leg and down onto my foot. Doh. On closer inspection on getting home I tried steristrips but ended up using tissue glue for the cut. After elevation and ice it's an interesting colour (I would post a picture but it's a bit grim!) but fine to mobilise on today. Phew!Managed the 4M this morning (really lovely in the sunshine image) no probs with it, except for mild swearing every time my other foot brushed against it when the going was uneven, and been out on the bike for a few hours too. I need to work on my rock-dodging skills for next year though I think!!

Anyway, after all that my time yesterday was really rubbish compared to what I should have done. Something a wee bit under 47:18 (was a bit slow with remembering to stop my watch at the finish, that was the clock time but I was a bit behind the start, chip times aren't out yet). The pace splits for each mile were: 7.04, 6.57, (*ROCK ATTACK*) 8:10, 7:59, 7.52, 7.40, 6.58. Ooops!

What time did you get, Fraser? I forgot to ask when I saw you at the finish. Thanks for stopping to say Hi in the freezing cold. Was great to meet you.

Really looking forward to Saturday - I need to stay over somewhere the night before too, Sam - will speak to Stacey/Alice.

• God it sounds hardcore! Didn't realise it was mixed terrain. Well done for doing it with one minor issue and sorry you've now got two to contend with! At least the towpath next wkd will be solid ground - and flat! I don''t think the finsih time really tells us much interms of performance potential - perhaps a parkrun will be more useful when it fits in OK. Or one of your halves. Don't overdo the 'non running' activities Rosie - what is 'a few hours' on the bike mean? I dread to thinkimage A recovery activity should be relatively short in duration (I like to stay under 1 hr for non running and under 40 mns for recovery runs), should feel very easy and not create any further fatigue/overload. Try to make sure your recovery activities fit the bill.

Have a good week!

• It's called the Buchlyvie Road Race, but I think there is some irony in their use of the word 'road'! Yes, hoping to get a parkrun in soon. Am planning to do this in two weeks time (ie the Saturday of week 6), as per the plan(!). I've registered for parkrun and everything.

Hehe, point taken about recovery activities. Today was really easy though, it was just under 2 hours I think very easy cycling about the city then out to near the Pentlands to drop some stuff I needed to deliver to the vet school at Easter Bush then round the woods a bit then back. Errands really. No significant difference in respiratory effort or heart rate compared to brisk walking I'd say. It was just sunny and when it's sunny I prefer to be more outside than my car lets me be! Great guidance re the times for recovery stuff though, thanks. I'll definitely try to stick to that in future. Had always wondered about specifics for recovery stuff, but don't have much experience of it, as you know!

What sort of time should I aim for for the parkrun week 6? 

• Yo Rosie- good run hardcore-chick.  It took me 49.57 to do 5.6 miles today - so you were way faster and injured too LOL! Go girl image
  • Well done on the Buchlyvice 10k Rosie, from what you said it didn't sound like a normal 10k road race, and the weather coiniditons too must have made it a tough race all round! Some good mile splits though, hope the war wound heal okay. See you on Saturday.
  • msc- 3 weetabix would replace the porridge but your usual cereal should be fine but may have to increase portion of it leading up to target 26.2! Remember this is not a day to day diet but a carb loading diet. High juice is just a diluting squash (not an no added sugar one) don't use this on a day to day basis or eat lots of jaffa cakesimage

Rosie- have you managed to eat a good breakfast every morning? With your past history of bone health please remember this is very important.  Could you write down for me what you have eaten for the past 24 hours (or when you next read your thread). By  working on your diet and a structured programme (with some rest!)it should all be worth it come the 15th April so keep focused!

• Rosie - Was great to meet you at Buchlyvie - glad you're still just about in one piece after all your exertions. It really was quite brutal at times wasn't it. I have to say just before the start I was sitting in my nice warm car thinking of heading home and having a nice hot cup of soup. As you say it's essenitally a cross country event complete with proper mud and rocks and the term "road race" is a total misnomer. Not a day or course for PBs in anyone's book.

Hard to say how many minutes that wind added to times- funny how it never feels like it's behind you but I'm sure that's just an illusion

Anyway - a good day out and always nice to look back on these kind of things afterwards with a little glow. Hope the ankle sorts itself out promptly. Presumably it took a while getting all Dug's red pawprints off your clothes too !

Think I came home in a bit over 38 mins but not exactly sure what chip time'll be. 

Enjoy the park run - I've only done it once but can guarantee it's flat and on tarmac ! Can be windy though...

• kaz1 wrote (see)
    Ruth- Could you maybe, please if you have time, try and give me an example diet?? It would need to be gluten/ wheat/dairy/egg and soya free???  And fruit has a very negative effect on my stomach..............

Hi kaz

Have you be diagnosed with allergies (what is the reaction you get) or food intolerances? Can you give me some more history. Have you had tests (if yes which ones), have you any family history of allergies, have got through an  elimination diet to ensure it is all of these foods, if you undertaken this type of elmination diet  have was this undertaken with a registered dietitian? Sorry so many questions!

• Hi everyone

Just a little bit of advice about schedule juggling, because it's unlikely that you can do the runs on any programme on the exact days set every week. This isn't aimed at any particular individual!

Pick out the most important two runs (for marathon training, these would be your long run (if you are doing a long run that particular week) and some kind of faster work - so perhaps tempo, brisk/ 10k pace training or speedwork

Schedule these on non-consecutive days that you are most likely to be able to fit them in on with the easy days or rest days on either side.

If you can then fit in any of the other scheduled sessions (as in non-easy days), do so - again making sure you don't do two hard sessions on consecutive days.

This will help you don't end up missing the most important sessions or 'squashing' all the hard stuff up towards the end of the week.

Rosie, I'll chat to you about your parkrun aim at the training day. Glad the recovery info was useful and hope the back is feeling better today.

• Hi Rosie,

I did the four villages on Sunday in shocking wind so feel ya pain from ya 10k on sunday. Y is it that head winds always coincide with hills?! image

Anyway race went well 1:37:12 for a new HM PB. Going for sub 1:35 at wilmslow now. Hopefully no wind that day.

Keep the training up.
  • Think Ruths post addressed for me was actually to Oscarr as Weetabix and jaffa cakes would kill me as a Coeliac as most dietician would know of courseimage But as my daughter told me this morning at breakfast I am now officially a grumpy old man as my age has a five in it today................

Well done on the run Rosie et al,   great effort and the wind was awful at the weekend we did seven in one hour four minutes into the wind for half of that and on the viaduct on the Monsal Trail you could lean into the wind and it would hold you up. Crazy weather but at least no snow....... Well done Luke too great pb for you. I need a one forty eight at Wilmslow!!