Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Rosie

Comments

• Thanks Rosie, what's next for you? My legs feel even worse today but still thinking of my next one.

FH your times are very similar to mine, I did 4.00.44 for my first marathon last year but ran a 1.34.29 half this spring so was hopeful of going sub 3.30.
    I'll put my splits up later today when i get chance, I'm looking forward to seeing them.

I took one gel 15 mins before start then at 5,10, 15, 18 and 22. Had a handful of jelly beans towards the end when things got tough!
  •  Here are the split times, got off to a slower than expected time because of the congestion but think it was pretty useful at keeping me in check. Even managed to pick the pace up slighty at the end!

Summary 3:26:02.2

1  8:40.7,  7:58.3,  7:55.6,  7:50.0,  7:48.9, 7:49.9, 7:45.4, 7:54.4, 7:42.6, 7:53.8, 7:51.8, 7:45.7, 7:52.4, 7:49.5,  7:51.1, 7:33.0, 7:40.3, 7:49.7, 7:44.9 , 7:41.4, 7:39.6, 7:43.6, 7:41.5, 7:40.2, 7:43.3, 7:24.1, 3:10.6

• Really strong finish Tim, looks like a negative split, is that right? Great running! Do you have another race planned? My next race is VLM Sunday, then have Marathon of the North and a 10K in Glasgow (taking VLM and MotN pretty easy) before Edinburgh in 5 weeks, but Edinburgh is the next target. Would like to see if I can improve on 3:28. <3:25 is next goal. I'd love to try ultras soon too, but guess it makes sense to work on marathon PB for a bit first as guess the training is a bit different?

• Congrats to Tim brilliant time.image Well done.

Blimey Rosie you dont rest do you!!! Quiet year for you then!!!image Impressive, I will be watching your back at Edinburgh as you speed into the distance!!!

• I am resting more than I did, mcs, whatever that says imageimage, another CNRD today then a very easy week leading up to Sunday, as Sam and Steve says no more training for that will help at this point, and recovery is more important prep.

Yey for Edinburgh! Dug and I went to the beach this morning by the course imageimage 

• You're my heroine!!!!

Please can you bottle some of your infectious energy and send me some!  So pleased you cracked it!

What a star - you really are!

imageimageimage

• Thanks SB, and for your amazing support!! Looking forward to seeing you at a race soon.. image

• Rosie - 2 bottles of powerade is about 64g of carb so you averaged about 18g per hour and Ruth's range is 25 to 50g per hour so i reckon this is another indication of your high level of endurance fitness

I am also doing the Mar of the North (my target spring race) as its my home town so will see you at the start - there are about 1500 entrants so should spot you

Tim - fantastic run, well done - very impressed with the pacing which looks like you followed Sam's 10/10/10k strategy and i'm very impressed with the last 10k which were your fastest miles and no fade - that's got to be the key to a good time cos if you fade in the last 10k you can add an awful lot of time on plus the pain !! Gels look good as well.

• oscarr - great! Will see you there. That's interesting re: the carbs, decided to stick with what I knew on Sunday but will have an experiment with gels before Edinburgh, may even practice at VLM and MotN as am not plannng many other long runs before Edinburgh.

• I can't believe you've got so many runs planned Rosie, I'm planning to watch the VLM from the sofa next Sunday with a big bag of mini eggs.
    I'm going to have a full week's rest, than a week of light training, before getting back into running for a half on June 10th.
    I'd love to go sub 1.30 in that and get a sub40 10k before the end of the summer.

I went through halfway in 1.44.39 on Sunday so the second half must have been about two mins quicker I guess? My maths isn't great!
    I remember thinking at halfway that I didn't need to run any faster than my current pace to go sub 3.30 which really helped to calm me down.
  • Funny Hat - all the best for VLM this sunday - reckon you are in really good shape for a good time so get the pacing and fuelling right and who knows what you can achieve - look forward to the report
  • Fabulously well done Fraser and Tim too!

Rosie I LOVED your report, you really brought it alive.

You are a phenomenon, fantastic recovery already, and just two drinks, amazing!

• Rosie, as I said you are amazing, well done and thank you for listening to my drivel pre and post race..still I might just do that Ultra!!!  Sunday was amazing and watching you sprint in to a massive PB so cool, have fun in London I will look out for you
  • Cheers Oscarr, just counting the days now!  I have Thursday off to collect number and I have booked Saturday off for a complete rest day.  Its really hard to get Saturdays off in my job (car sales) so well pleased my boss agreed, will use my day to plan/focus and a really light run of about 2 miles in the morning.

I would be happy to follow Tim's half way / finish split and the gel intake would work well too !

Will of course update on Sunday Eve, if you get my time on the results page happy for it to be communicated. 

FH 

• Thankls reikirabbit, was so pleased we all got our targets!

Choisty, thanks! You got such an amazing time I have no idea how you had the energy to shout the way you did when I was coming down that last 50m! Am looking forward to the reunion already. It was observed today by my dog walking friends that whenever I'm asked about Paris I still do a little skip before answering, so still bouncing around here...hope you're enjoying it too.

FH, I'm not at the expo till Saturday so don't know which start I'm at till then, but, if you get chance to post on here before which colour start you are in case there is a chance of seeing you. If not I'll look out for your result! Good luck!!

• Cheers Rosie.

Will let you know.  At the start I will be holding an 8ft high plastic pole with an OLYMPICNICK sign, so you should be able to spot me !!

All the very best to you for Sunday, enjoy !  And good luck to everyone else for Sunday.

FH 

• Ha! That makes things easier! Are you running with the pole too?

• Hi Rosie,

Well done on your run. Really consistent splits. It looks as tho your new thinking got you there. What's next? Comrades?! image

I'm going to do the Chester Marathon and I'm going to use the lessons learnt from this thread to go for sub 3:30. I think my half and 10k times show that I am capable of it. Going to stick rigidly to a plan

Ive really enjoyed following the thread it's been great! Well done to Choisty and Colin as well. Great result.

I'm comin to Edinburgh in May for my 1st wedding anniversary can't wait. Just gotta find a nice resteraunt for the night. Any good suggestions city centre?

Good luck with London just go enjoy it

Congrats

Luke
  • Luke, not sure wherabouts you are staying or if preferences/requirements, so here's a few to start all within 2min walk from, or on, The Royal Mile, as guessing you're pretty central.

For a really special one like a wedding anniversary trip The Witchery is amazing, and the location is great if you're visiting, but you'd prob need to book now to get a spot for May and it's reasonably expensive for Edinburgh.

http://www.thewitchery.com/

If vegetarian definitely David Bann:

http://www.davidbann.com/

Scottish food, try Angels with Bagpipes:

http://www.angelswithbagpipes.co.uk/

or more relaxed/slightly cheaper, Howies on the grassmarket:

http://www.howies.uk.com/edinburgh_victoria.php

lots more suggestions if those don't look quite right..

or a bit more relaxed/less pricey: Howies on the grassmarket

http://www.howies.uk.com/

• Just went back and read your split times from your garmin, they are awesome how the heck did you get so close every time, brilliant. I have six weeks left to achieve that. I did manage 8 at 8.15 last week which was good for me so getting there but do find it hard to stick to a pace.

Just taken a newbie out for her first run at lunchtime, not run since school days, she managed a 1.1 mile in 11mins with a couple of walk breaks she is dancing now!!! From little acorns athletes grow!!!

Have another great run at VLM how did you get in? Time good for age? Charity?

Will check out the restaurant links. Probably have a meal out on the Sunday we are in Edi.

Enjoy the skipping feeliing Rosie!!!image

• Rosie, not running with the pole, just want to see if I can get some free coverage on the BBC !   It should mean you will spot me though!

FH

• Thanks Rosie. Thats brilliant image
  • Mcs if it's a post marathon meal and you have family with you check out the City Cafe (Blair St) website too as they are v friendly. Also do great cocktails of an evening..

VLM is good for age but I run for Samaritans, just on a good for age place.
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Peeps, I'd just like to say that Rosie is amazing and it was an absolute joy to see her hit target at the weekend. Her boundless energy and commitment has been great for me and the others.

Well done mate, it's a joy.
  • Rosie - those splits!! Well done. Still smiling for you all!

Hope to see you at the Edinburgh marathon.

Kaz and WW and all those other PB's... well done.

Best of luck for london this weekend Rosie and to everyone else.

• image Thanks Ruth. Are you running Edinburgh? Hopefully see you there..

• Rosie does that mean you are on green at VLM?
  • Faster GFA is at the fro t if red though I think
  • Yes on green with the time I entered with I think. Are you doing it Reikirabbit?

• Yes I'll be at Green!! Bargain GFA by 15 seconds to defend!!

Looks like it will be cool with showers, otherwise I'd say I'll be the one lying on the grass with the foam roller.