Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Rosie

Comments

• Rosie, congrats on an excellent campaign. I'm impressed that all of you rose to the occasion and did great.

Luke Ellis 2, a few more restaurant ideas:

A Room in the Town, 18 Howe Street. Unpretentious, really good food, friendly staff. Not cheap cheap, but not expensive either. BYO.

Chop Chop, 248 Morrison Street. Yummy traditional Chinese, including their flagship dumplings. Sadly, not as good as it was even a year ago, but decent value for money.

McKirdy's Steakhouse, 151 Morrison Street. Steak. Good steak. -1 for underwhelming decor, but did I mention steak?

The Stockbridge Restaurant, 54 St Stephen Street. Getting posh (read: pricey) and maybe not the best on a value for money basis, but tasty nonetheless. Our first anniversary dinner was here.

Last but not least, if you want to take out a second mortgage or have won the lottery lately, The Kitchin, 78 Commercial Quay. One of Edi's Michelin starred restaurants. Good is an understatement; expensive isn't.

• What to wear question......

I have only run marathons on hot days and not sure what is best to wear at London on Sunday as the weather is looking like heavy rain showers.  Was planning on a vest only but not sure if I should go for a layer under the vest ?  I will have extra layers on before the start, its the racing wear I need help with.

Your opinions would be great.

Thanks FH

• FH on Sunday I ran in a vest in Rotterdam. It was pretty cold at the start so I had an old t-shirt and hoodie over the vest and some old fingerless gloves. I kept the gloves on for about two miles before throwing them away. 

Even with a fairly strong head wind at times I didn't feel too cold during the run but when I finished I was freezing and quickly had to throw on four layers and plastic poncho!

Personally I would say just go for the vest, I always find it better than being too warm

• Cheers Tim, I think your right, will be leaving a bag to collect at finish so will have warm clothes to wear once I have finished.  Always good to hear what others on here did.]

FH

• FH

I like to have something warm to wear before and after but not during !

I do wear a compression top under my club vest but that's a quirk of mine to do with negstive top of arms awareness.
  • Reikirabbit - yey for green start! I might see you then. I'll be in a Samaritans vest (blue and green with my name on the front), with black compression top underneath and black capris. Please say Hi if you see me!

FH, I wear a compression top (long sleeves) under a vest in races usually, and knee length capris, but the top is because of scarring, which also means I don't sweat much, so I'm a bit weird in that way. I also tend to feel the cold in longer races if it's windy or wet so the sleeves thing works for me, but I don't think I'd try it if you haven't practised it. I'm a bit obessive and practice in complete race kit at least once before the day to check for comfort/chafing etc.

Before the start of races I'm often cold and if it's wet that's worse, so disposable poncho (they usually have lucozade ones at the expo on the lucozade stand) or bin bag if it's wet, plus layers. I get super cold after races (on Sunday I put on 6 layers at the finish and was still shivering a bit!!) so my race bag is lots of tops/coats!.

• Thanks Reikirabbit and Rosie, Will grab a poncho at Expo and just go with the vest. 

FH

• I just panicked and bought a couple on eBay whereas my bother could pick me one up and indeed I probably have a drawer full of ponchos and such in my running desk!

Hope to see you Rosie - will be wearing black compression top and capris with a white vest on top that has diagonal yellow and navy stripes. A white Chi Running baseball cap if it's wet or hot.

I'm Pen 5 on Green, but they are small pens - my 3:30 mate was in 3 last year. I get Will Young.
  • Good luck all you VLMers!  I will be watching.

Just been looking at detailed results from Brighton and see that I managed a negative split - 1:46 first half and 1:45 second half! Well pleased, never done before..had to tell someone!

• Ha, Reikirabbit, I had Gordon Ramsay last year! I don't know my pen yet - not expo-ing till Saturday, but have been green the last few years on my GFA time so will definitely look out for you.

WW, great effort! Negative split! Yey!

• WW - always impressed with a negative split for a marathon, well done indeed
  • WW, -'ve split that is good running, will try and do the same ! I read somewhere that only about 5 % of runners do a -'ve split at London!

FH
  • FH - go for it!  Will be looking for you on the TV....
  • Hi Rosie, What can I say but whoop whoop, you did it! Amazing run and all to plan. I hope this gives you much confidence to have another stab at your PB and even go sub 3.20? (maybe not at VLM thoughimage) as I think there is more to come. Great to meet you again aswell and chat at the weekend. It seems a long time ago now even though only a few days ago. Good luck for this weekend - enjoy! Colin.
  • joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Rosie, having followed your thread I have to congratulate you on your great performance, and on "keeping the faith" in pacing.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one here who at times has felt frustration when you've broken the rules (eg "accidentally" doing a session too fast or too long) in training, whilst recognising that most of us are guilty of doing just the same things!
    It was good to see how you managed to work at your nutrition and training stategy, making steady changes over the weeks.
    I always had an element of doubt, though, that you would resist to the pressure on the Big Day, and blow it all by going off too fast. But you didn't, and your race report of how you stayed in control the whole time should be compulsory reading for everyone!
    So, really well done, and have a great time on Sunday. Might see you as we all shelter from the rain at the green start....!
  • Thanks KR. looking forward to catching up again soon.

Joddly, please do say Hi if you see me at green. I'm currently hunting down my poncho collection ready for the sheltering.. Are you going for a target in the race?

Your comments make me want to say highlight again just how instrumental the people on this thread were in helping me get the pacing thing. I can be a bit slow on the uptake when it's not news I want, and changing complicated habits can be hard, which is frustrating to watch I know (sorry!!), but a combination of the evidence of my own training reflected back at me on here by all your comments, excellent advice, timely tellings off and encouragement did eventually change my mindset on that. The swiftness with which people identified race pacing as a weak point was also really helpful. Going into this process I couldn't have predicted how much my mindset about training could change in just four months. It's hard to communicate that in a forum post, but everyone on here's role in that is very much appreciated.

• Thanks For the reccomendations Rennur

Reikirabbit I'm actually lol at the notion of a running desk! I suggest getting rid of that to improve your pb! Must be difficult to carry. image

Rosie - its great how you changed your philosophy in the approach and we have all
    Learnt that training a bit more conservatively, watching nutrition and having a strong pacing strategy can bring the right results. It's definitely changed my approach and I will b using the knowledge gained here and on marathon talk to improve my performance at Chester.

Also I am sure that with nutrition you are probably not fully on track yet. Imagine the improvements that are still to come! Hopefully this thread will keep
    Going because I'm looking forward to following everyone's progress from here!

Bad luck on the weather for Sunday. But hope you all run well!
  • joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Hi Rosie,
    I'm hoping for around 3:30 - managed to break that target 2 years back, after feeling I never would, and last year got down to 3:24. My secret weapon was giving up trying and taking up triathlon.
    However, after long believing in getting at least 5 x 20 milers in, and having used (essentially) the RW schedules for years, I've had a radical reduction in training this year. I've only been running up to 3 times a week, with only one 20 miler; I'm a bit slower to start with, and have no idea how it will go after 20 miles! So it's likely to be 3:30-3:40, if all goes well.
    Poncho-hunting here, too!
  • Luke Ellis 2 you crack me up! Said desk is only retained because it contains all my race numbers ever. I was trying to convince my sister to use it in her work [she's an artist]. I also keep travel details for all sorts of cross country etc

Rosie it has been your willingness and open heart that has opened up the possibilities - I know you can go loads further and faster.

• Hi picked my race number for London today and I am in Blue start! Was planning on running with a friend of mine but he is on Red start, can you start in different start zones ?

Thanks Funny Hat
  • Have a great weekend all - will be watching for you on the gogglebox image
  • FH - best of luck Sunday, rooting for you
  • Funny Hat - no definitely not, VLM is one of the few races I've done that keeps you to your allocated pen! You will get in no other, they check you at the entrance to the colour zone too.

It's a good thing!

Hoping for sunny intervals....
  • Best of luck this Sunday FH and everyone else who is running
  • Good luck to Rosie and others running London.

Coming late to the thread but doing Edinburgh in 5-6 weeks which I notice you are doing too Rosie... I may sneak up behind you and stalk - in a nice way - if I see you.

Reading back for various tips mentioned above about pacing & nutrition.

Good luck

• All the best to FH on Sunday, red and blue are in different areas of the Park so forget that. You meet up after three miles........

FRC see you at Edinburgh but I will be behind you, more a four hour plus15 mins sort of time is my silver medal option.image

Going to run round the Bamford Dams on Sunday, famous for the Bouncing Bomb film Dambusters got a route about 19 miles should be wet and fun!!! IF 19 miles can be fun!!! ENjoy LE WEEKEND all.image

Success doesnt come to you, you go to it!!

• Did Gordon Ramsey finish last year? Dont think he finished the year I ran it in 2010?

Cant believe Rosie is heading to London to run another marathon!!!!!!! What do the legs feel like? Oh to be young again!!! Only jealous have a great run.image

• mcs, will see you at Edinburgh and for a beer afterwards

I'm going for sub 3:30 ... (even 3:29:5x would be fine image).. hence my future stalking of Rosie. in a nice running sense only of course.

1:35 for a half marathon 4 weeks ago, with lots of energy to spare, and lots of good training last 3-4 months.

• You will have had a couple by the time I get there! Sub 3.30 is a dream time all the best.