Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Rosie

Comments

• Hope recovery continues to go well FH.

WW, oscarr and I are both doing the marathon of the North in 2 weeks so think that's the next one (unless anyone is doing one next weekend?). The bluebell wood sounds lovely! Am jealous! Yes quite a few of us on here are doing Edinburgh. The course is billed as a fast one as it's a negative incline overall, but the downhill is all in the first 3miles, so it's really easy to go out too fast. Also unless they've changed it from last year there are a couple of very short out and back turn sections (mile 16-18) which can be tough psycholgically and with tired legs the tight turns aren't easy. Mile 18ish there is a gravel section through the grounds of a country house, I know a lot of people find that tough as the track isn't very even at that point and contrasts with the rest of the race on the road. Last year the finish was a mess and they've had problems with water too but they've promised to improve those this year. Just my thoughts! I'm sure Fraser and Rennur and others who know the course well will have stuff to add..

• Hmm, I didn't mean that to sound quite so negative about the course - was just highlighting the challenges. I do love it even though it's had it's problems. Also the walk to the shuttle buses at the end is quite long, and the queues for the shuttle buses can be very long so it's worth planning in advance re strategy for travel back to town. As I've said previously on here I find the easiest way is train from Wallyford to Waverley (Wallyford station is just by where the shuttle buses go from, so also a 15min walk from the finish, but gets you back loads quicker than the bus and no queue)

• North Dorset Villages for me on 6th May, hoping to improve to 3.45, then a 33 miler in Marlborough the week after, both small and scenic races which are my preference. In awe of some of the great times here still!
  • WW if you go over to the sub 4.30 thread there is a great lady on there name of Birdypie who does the Grizzly and other longer races she can advise on that race. Here is the link.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?UTN=43871&URN=11&dt=4&srchdte=0&cp=673&v=1&sp=

Rain and more rain down here, cycled in and need to go out and do five at lunch not fancing that.......

Wallyford Station to Waverley, whats the cost on that do you know Rosie? Do you leave a bag to collect at the end? Dont want to carry cash and all the family will need to do the same for the train.

Not sure the OH is going to be able to do it she has gone down with Pleuresy........dont know where thats come from......

• Think they are about £3.10 each mcs, if you don't want to carry cash you could buy them online (scotrail) or in advance at Waverley, but you'd still end up carrying the tickets. I usually run with a £10 or £20 in a small plastic bag (in case of rain) in an arm pouch or similar along with my keys when I race. Has never felt obtrusive and means if things were to go badly wrong I could get a taxi to the finish or wherever. Works for getting home too.

I do usually leave a bag on the baggage trucks as I get really cold after races and need loads of layers. If your family are hanging round for the finish of the full after the half they might want some stuff too? Really sorry to hear about OH having pleurisy. Lots of sympathy as I know it's horrible. Definitely best to rest up properly with that.
  • Wow KateF, 26.2 then 33 in a week. Soubds tough! How do you fund the recovery in between? Good luck for 6th..
  • Thanks Rosie will go for the cash option appreciate your help.

How are the legs feeling? Recovered yet? 

• Hi all

I'm doing the Watford 10K too if that's the bluebell run you meant WW. Hope heels are alright, my top tip is to walk on gravel [with socks] for 20 mins. Stops it for me every time it even thinks about it!

Am also meant to be doing BUPA 10 000 although am also on an expedition that weekend with a group of teenagers, and then have the Concorde 10K in June.

Have found myself looking for Autumn marathons, shame Abingdon is full. Does anyone know of any nice ones?

I've been to Pilates at lunchtime, and had a half hour osteo appointment afterwards, will do another Pilates circuit class tonight, feeling fine apart from sourish quads, and am very lucky to be able to say that after being a wreck mid March.

FH I meant to say I drank about 6 times what you did I reckon!
  • If you like off road there's the Farnham Pilgrims, Clarendon Way, Bacchus (good if you like wine), New Forest and if you fancy a trip to Italy then Florence. I'm thinking of another Tuscan marathon in Lucca in October.

Rosie, recovery will be spinning, malt loaf and yoga and much crossing of fingers.

• Thanks for the suggestions KateF, I was just checking out CIM in Sacramento [again!]
  • Ah shame, clashes with my local 8 miler!
  • I did Rutland Water marathon last year RR, (early Nov) and am in for this year too. Is small and organisation reasonably low key but really beautiful and very friendly. Quite a bit of off road too. Also Kielder in early Oct. Also mostly trail and super beautiful, am in for this year. Was really well organised but not a PB course as rather undulating(!!)

• Ooo, Loch Ness (end Sept) is fab too. I think they still have entires available for this year, though also prob not a PB course.. Is all road unlike Rutland and Kielder but still extremely scenic in parts..
  • I did the Salisbury trail half the year before last, and they have a full marathon too.

Must not get carried away though - I really want to target a time as well, so soon
    Is probably not ideal. Wish I could do loads like you, but I would fall apart.

Love off road suggestions, cheers.
  • Rosie - I hadn't realised you were doing another one between VLM and Edin. Absolutely definitely mental. That confirms it !

I could write a small book about the Edin course having trained on it loads of times. The summary is it's a cracking course if the wind and heat stay away. It's entirely uninspiring in terms of scenery and only really does any justice to it's "Edinburgh" title for the first mile and a half. After that it's dull housing estates, a bit of beach promenade and a long out and back through some slightly tired seaside towns. The finish area last year was an unmitigated disaster but there was such a backlash I think they;ve sorted that. It's flat and holds few serious surprises so is a definite PB venue if that's what you're after. Hope that hasn't put anyone off ! Message me if anyone wants any more details

• Thanks Rosie, mcs and Fraser for the info on Edinburgh, I will pass on to my friends...  Lack of scenery doesn't make me want to enter next year though!

mcs - thanks also for link on Grizzly.  Need to be sure I am up to the wading through rivers and whatever else it involves.....

Reiki - yes it's Watford 10k I am doing (tho sounds nicer if u call it Bluebell Run!).  I did it 2 years ago and it was quite scenic I seem to remember.  I am taking my daughter out for a training run tomorrow, she is entered in the 1k race.  Her race number arrived today and she is very excited!

Rosie, can't believe how many marathons you do!!!!  Absolutely amazing.  Are you looking to join the 100 Marathon Club (or are you already in?!)?  I bet mara of the North is a tough one (well sounds it anyhow)...

KateF - North Dorset Villages Mara sounds nice!

Have also heard Kielder is good trail marathon, might investigate that myself.....

• ps Reiki - walking on gravel....how does that work? I guess similar to me currently rolling foot on tumble dryer ball?!!? (sadly no gravel on our drive!)
  • Fraser, insider knowledge about Edinburgh sound good. Will message you later image
    Finish supposedly is improved now, with the link up with MacMillans

South Cheshire 20m for me on Sunday as last training run before tapering for Edinburgh. Though on Gazelles 3:30 thread we are trying to organise a RW team for the Thunder Run end of July.

Club league race for me tonight, went (I think) fastest I've ever gone before, I don't do park runs, PB for 5k is 21:30 ish but that's last June pre Oct marathon and joining a club in December . Did 4.2 mile race in 27m35, every mile in the 6:40s. Very nice feeling.

• Tumbledrier ball is my other trick!

Yes same idea. Gravel walking really loosens up lower legs too I find.

I have a little path in my back garden now, but am still known to knock on doors when I see a nice bit of gravel. Everybody says yes, go for it!
  • RR I am doing a Salisbury race, deciding on the 50K or marathon at the moment, is it the 54321 you did? You must live in a lovely area for them to gravel share!
  • Ha my last didn't come out - gravel sharing is mainly in Fulham near work t be honest!
  • Knocking on doors when you see a nice bit of gravel - love it!

• I read about the 'gravel trick' in Danny Dreyer's Chi Running book, I think. I tried it for up to 20 minutes a day when I had plantar fascitiis, but it didn't work for me at all. Mind you, walking on gravel does at least distract you from the pain for the durationimage

Any marathons planned this weekend Rosie?! Or will it be a rare weekend off?

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Hello folks.

After some discussion, started a new, single thread regarding Paris and all that.  Made an excecutive decsision.  Called Paris: so long and thanks for the cobbles... image

• Hello again, have been on holiday in egypt and finally caught up!
    Well done on all the PBs in the last few weeks especially Rosie and her fabulous pacing, think there is more to come off that at Edinburgh

After 2 weeks of no marathons I did a 6 hour track race, round and round and round! Was really pleased to do just over 41 miles and get first lady. My absolute dream goal was 40 miles but didn't expect it as that is 9mm all the way. Managed to run the whole lot apart from a couple of mins sit down on the toilet and a bit of time here and there stopping to grab food
  • Hi all

If anyone's struggling to find the new thread - try here:

new thread

Hope to see you there image

• Hellen you are an animal, is one leg 3 inches shorter than the other one now?
  • no kate, we changed direction after 3 hours!!
  • Sorry I've been missing from here, the family illness situation I was struggling with the run up to Paris became a bereavement this weekend so have been otherwise engaged.

Fraser Wells wrote (see)

Rosie - I hadn't realised you were doing another one between VLM and Edin. Absolutely definitely mental. That confirms it !

I could write a small book about the Edin course having trained on it loads of times. The summary is it's a cracking course if the wind and heat stay away. It's entirely uninspiring in terms of scenery and only really does any justice to it's "Edinburgh" title for the first mile and a half. After that it's dull housing estates, a bit of beach promenade and a long out and back through some slightly tired seaside towns. The finish area last year was an unmitigated disaster but there was such a backlash I think they;ve sorted that. It's flat and holds few serious surprises so is a definite PB venue if that's what you're after. Hope that hasn't put anyone off ! Message me if anyone wants any more details

I'm not even going to try to deny the mentalism. image I do however have a problem after Edinburgh. - In the next few weeks I have Marathon of the North (attendance now slightly uncertain due to funeral arrangements), then two 10K's, then Edinburgh marathon, but after that nothing till the Glasgow half in September. image

3months with no races will not be pretty. I'm considering the Haddington half in August, but wondered if anyone had any other suggestions? Within a few hours travel of Edinburgh preferred. I'm thinking of trying to improve my 10K time and also finally getting myself sorted with Parkruns (SB is now 5 ahead of me in our race to 50!!), but other suggestions appreciated too..