Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Emma

Comments

• In the summer, yes of course they are free, but it's a bit more difficult at this time of year with the snow and all. you'll have to head to your nearest garage like the rest of us.
  • Ha ha very funny - I suppose I don't usually see my backside from that angle running around a track!

I'm just a bit fed up as not been running - missing all the endorphins froma  run (or dolphins as my little boys says).

My hubby has a crush of Kimberly Walsh so compared to her I am Huge! Ho hum.

I hope the paths thaw so I can run outside!

• Hey all!

Em - you're tired, run down and being hard on yourself because of it.  I know it's a girl thing - I sometimes catch myself looking at the gazelle type juniors you see at races and never come off well in my own head.

If it helps to convince you that this process will take care of anything your body can sensibly be rid of (and it will) why don't you measure the circumference of your thigh, hips, waist and upper arm and repeat it once a month.  As the miles rack up you will see the numbers decrease though I'm guessing not massively - because GUESS WHAT - you are stunning the way you are! We can all tone up bits here, there or wherever but that's all it is - a little tone up.  I can see you're gonna need to see the proof though - so get measuring girl!

You're doing great! Now have a jaffa cake (but just the one) and enjoy the rest of your day.  

Our pc is misbehaving (suspect naughty graphics card) so I'm back on my very slow laptop so I may not check in again for a few days but I am here and with you all the way.  image

• Good luck if you do get confined to the treadmill, Em. Don't think of it as '6 miles' but as 1 easy, 4 brisk and 1 easy. It feels easier that way, honest image

If it's any consolation I seem to be on a carbo loading mission despite having no race to fuel up for. I found myself purchasing a belgian bun after swimming this morning and then had two great hunks of lovely fresh bread with my salad at lunchtime. Snow, snow go away so I can run it all away!'

• Emma - I second what SB said!  I watched the training video and noticed no large rears at all image

I ventured outside tonight as I wasn't trying to do anything fast.  Some nice clear patches and other crunchy, icy ones so a bit variable but enjoyable.  Lovely moonlight too, I even had a shadow!

• Thanks for all the support everyone! It's so cold so I am craving carbs too - obsessed with my 'turbo porridge' as I now call it (dried fruit, honey and seeds - yum!).

I did manage the run last night but had Sam's advice echoing and so ran at the gym. It was hideous - but I am so proud of myself for doing it! Firstly all 20 machines were in use then I managed to nab one...but had forgotten music. Faced with the prospect of no music I managed to plug my headphone in the working sound connector on the tready next to me and listen to the awful music supplied by them gym! Must've looked v strange as my wire was trailing across from one treadmill to another.

I worked out the approx speeds I would need to program in carefully before I went and then found I could convert by changing the units on the machine to imperial! Doh!

10-10:30 for 1st mile

MP section - 9:45 mainly but bit faster for some of it in last mile or so to get the horrid gym run over.

Last mile gradually clocked down from 9s to 10:30's to recover.

Then I hopped in the pool swam a quick 250meters (boy I've lost my swim fitness so need to do some more swimming with allmy free time!) before having a lovely hot shower.

If it's still icy on Thursday I was thinking about doing my speed session on the treadmill too - then I could have a quick swim for about 1/2 K and reward myself with a jaquizzi and steam!

I am feeling a bit better mentally largely thanks to you all being so kind but also because I've got some dolphions back! Unfortuneately feeling a bit more coldy and look haggard!) - but happier as I've been out on the road!

Long run on Sat is likely to be quite slow as it would seem XC would be safest option - then try to hit roads for last 4 miles for marathon pace. Wish I'd invested in some trail shoes now.

• Hi Emma,Just thought I'd pop in to say "hello", as we miss you on the Brighton thread.
    Sounds like things have been going well, apart from a rough last week, but as other posters have been saying, one less active week won't be a bad thing. Glad you're feeling a bit better and managed the run yesterday.

All the best! image
  • Thanks Juggler - will pop on to Brighton thread again. Feel a bit of a fraud as now not doing it this year. But I will make sure I defer my place and will do Brighton 2013!

Thank you so much for your support!

• Glad to see you got to run last night. Hope the road to full recovery is a swift one.
  • Great to see you running again Emma.
  • Well done Emma, good session - and glad to see you were chomping at the bit to go faster than marathon pace image

I have cancelled tonight's group session cos the pavements are just too icy round here, and because there aren't any street lights beyond the town, we are a bit limited. I did a one-to-one yoga session this morning - my hip flexors have been taken to new lengths!

• It wasn't so much that I wanted to run faster than marathon pace - just wanted to be off that treadmill!

I need to do some serious stretching and my core exercises - these have taken rather a back seat with my obsession to get well and start running again.

I did find my rhythm on the treadmill for about 1/2  mile when I felt good - it was when I was ruuning marathon pace too! Hoorah!

• Yes, definitely get back on track with those or Sarah C will be after you image

Actually, I find that when you're ill (or injured) keeping up the core stuff is really helpful - no tjust physically but mentally, too because you are doing something to contribute towards your running fitness. And a lot of it can be done lying on the floor, which is always good! If you've had a bit of a break from the exercises, start gently.

• Good to see you getting back to it all the best. Snow and work have destroyed my running this week as working eight till late but hopefully come the weekend I can get out. Did three last night very sad but just done in after travelling and work but no more after this week, just 15 weeks on Sunday to train!
    Hope the returning snow is not a lot!
  • Emma - what intervals do you have this week?

Didn't go to the club session last night as so icy here (turned out it was ok over there ) so could do with some ideas of what to do tomorrow
  • I've got 1 M warm up, 12 x 200 @10k pace with 200m or 1 min recoveries, 1M cool down.

If I ran the 200m in 1 min that would actually be my race pace so will walk/jog 100m for recovery or run 200m but slower. Think I should be waiting for my HR to drop (think that was in RW or ona forum discussion recently).

If it's too cold might use the gym again!
  • Ooh, I could do those ones round here as the footpath that is a bit over 200m long was just about ice free tonight.  That would save me some petrol image

I ditched my gym membership quite a while ago and then when it was icy just before Christmas 2010 I passed myself off as my husband a few times to do the quicker stuff image

• Morning - laptop is sooo slow! My Christmas 2012 list has been started! Am having the same dilemma here - club run or gym - will leave my fate in the hand of my friend - if she knocks on the door later I'll be going out!  Really crunchy ice outside now ...

I must try and fit some strength work in too Emma - I was really good before Christmas but it's slipped again.  Can you buy self-discipline in jars? Wish there was a circuits class that I could join - now there's an idea to add to my 'when we move list' - I think that's the only way I'll do something regularly. Would love to do Yoga/Pilates again too - have done blocks of both and found both really beneficial - crikey - I'm gonna need more hours in a day/week! 

Sam - Can I do Yoga/Pilates on the 7th day of a week?  I usually train 6 days a week but realistically if I'm gonna fit something else in - I'm gonna need that day. Any thoughts?

Oh dear 2 more lists to add to my collection of lists.

Enjoy your 200s...  image

• EmmaC wrote (see)
    I've got 1 M warm up, 12 x 200 @10k pace with 200m or 1 min recoveries, 1M cool down. If I ran the 200m in 1 min that would actually be my race pace so will walk/jog 100m for recovery or run 200m but slower. Think I should be waiting for my HR to drop (think that was in RW or ona forum discussion recently). If it's too cold might use the gym again!

Hi Emma, I worked out your pace per 200m at 55 secs image Did I get the maths wrong? The recovery should be as long as the effort.

Sleepy Bear, yes yoga or Pilates would be good to do on your 7th day, or on an easy run day. I think they are both good supplementary/supportive activities for runners and not stressful enough to need to be an 'instead of' session but an 'as well as'. (OK, now someone's going to post irately about how challenging Bikram or ashtanga yoga are..image) I see my yoga as restorative, not another opportunity for a challenging workout.

• Emma;  try practising eating a set portion and if you want more don't have it, if you practise portion control it does get easier and best to tackle this head on, it can take weeks to change a habit! You are doing so well please don't think you are not!!!!
  • Hi Sam - 55 sounds just right as last time I did the same session we worked ona 8mm which is 60s per 200. I did this on the treadmill so difficult judging exact time but I did make sure that I ran at proper pace for the 200 m but dropped to a trot/walk for the minute inbetween. That's what I meant my my comment about the recovery - hope thats ok. I remember you saying last time I did intervals at the gym that I hadnt let my HR drop down enough.

Got another cold with v sore throat, bunged up nose so getting fed up of being ill. Shall dose up and do my gentle 5/6 on treadmill this morning. Yuk!

Hi Ruth - I've been trying to be good and despite feeling like I've been a piggy I think I've lost a little (only 1-2 lbs) weight. I've not been having the snacks after dinner and trying to eat when I'm hungrey not because I 'deserve' to eat.

Yesterday I was tired, poorly and hungry so I had a bowl of porridge after school, then dinner veggie soup and rye bread. The porridge made a big difference so I obviously needed the fuel! After dinner I wanted a snack but didn't hit the biscuits ... had abuot a dozen nuts. Still high in calories but good calories I think?

• Sam - I'm not feeling brillant this morning so may chop my run down from 6 miles to 4 perhaps?

Also toying with the idea of doing this run on Sunday when hopefully I'll feel better?

• Morning Em

Type - wait for laptop to catch up ...

Sounds like you need to have a proper rest and get rid of this germy-thing once and for all.  If you keep at it when your body is not ready you'll end up making yourself super-poorly.  I know, I know - it's really hard and you feel that you have to because we're all watching but you know what - you'll do a whole lot better without  a cold. Your body just can't absorb the fitness if it's so trashed by constantly battling bugs.  Have you tried the Vicks First Defence stuff?  That worked a treat for me last time I felt I had a cold coming on -or echinacea - OH swears by that stuff.

Big hugs - feel better imageimageimage

• Thanks Sleepy - I'm not horrendous just feel grotty and under parr! But then I'm a working Mum and think thats probably to be expected! You are right about the microscope type aspect - but its a great motivator!

Managed 6 miles on the treadmill - slow and painful but done! And I weighed myself at the gym.... have lost 2 lbs since christmas. SO very slowly (which is good) but has made me feel less heffer like. ALthough weight loss is probably loss of muscle bulk due to lack of training ... arghhh! Anyway dipped below 60kg so pleased with that!

Going to have a shower then treat myself to newly purchased peanut butter and a cuppa with some echinacea and vit c!

• Hey Emma

What bad luck to get ill again. We need to put you into splendid isolation until April 15th I reckon! Well done for completing the intervals, and the run today. How are you feeling about the prospect of a long run at the weekend? Is it viable or do you think it's just going to send you into worse condition?
    I know you're getting worried but SB is right to say you just need to try and get rid of this cold virus once and for all. I've also found VIcks First Defence useful and obsessive hand washing after contact with other people or public places (even holding on to tube escalators etc). And lots of sleep. I hope your husband is being very supportive and sympathetic image

• HI emma, I can be a bit obsessive about door handles/light switches etc when opening them, even using my little finger (wierd I know). When there is a cold doing the rounds in our house we get the disinfectant out and blitz everything (don't know why I saying this as you probably do it anyway!). I also found taking a daily vitamin C supplement good and use berroca to get daily dose. Hope the cold goes away & stays away.
  • Hi Emma - get well soon my dear
  • Morning Emma - I'm back - pc behaving yeeeeha.  I'm being a wuss today - Ben has gone off to a xc race but it's way too cold for little Rascal's paws to be standing around for a couple of hours and I'm not driving for an hour and a half to then sit in the car.  Instead I get to iron his uniform LOL - lucky me - think I'd rather have a cold!   image

How are you feeling today?  Try to remember that it's better to get rid of this now than to still have it bugging you (literally) by week 12 and besides:  

SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Actually, I find that when you're ill (or injured) keeping up the core stuff is really helpful - no tjust physically but mentally, too because you are doing something to contribute towards your running fitness. And a lot of it can be done lying on the floor, which is always good! If you've had a bit of a break from the exercises, start gently.

You can work on your 'abs of steel'.

You're grounded young lady!!  Just until you're better. Don't make me come down there!  image

• Crikey... bit of a common theme running through the threads at the moment. It must be an online virus.

Get well soon Emma.