Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Emma

Comments

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Get well soon Emma... If its any consolation, I have to remain within seconds of a loo... image
  • I shall add to the woes and get down and do some core work instead.  I look to have broken one of my toes!
  • Tenjiso - very funny image

Jeepers USB - how'd you manage that?  Youchy - hope you can hobble around without too much pain. 

• I stubbed it on the corner of the blanket box as I walked past yesterday morning.  Thought nothing of it until I realised that it was continuing to hurt at lunchtime and then saw the lovely colour it had gone!  I've now got it buddy strapped to splint it which really helped with the pain and will take regular ibuprofen over the weekend.  First real  test will be the 5 minute walk from the car park to work on Monday morning.
  • Oh so easy to do!  I had to move ours for that very reason LOL.  Have you got any coordinating nail polish - might as well show it off - get some extra hardcore points image
  • Emma has been a true hero this week (a bit of a naughty one, but all the sameimage) She's managed to clock over 30 miles (including a long run today) despite not being anywhere near fit and well. Hoping that it doesn't catch up with her but from recent chat she is definitely feeling way more positive and 'back in the game!'

So looking ahead to next week - week 8 - jeepers! It's quite a challenging one - so what I recommend for Emma is to play it a little by ear. It would be great to do each session but perhaps shave a bit off, length-wise (eg. 3 x 1M instead of 4) rather than force yourself to do all of it and feel rotten again by Thursday.

The tweaks from the full sub 4.15 plan are: 36 miles instead of 40 (as a result of taking out the Wednesday 10 miler and replacing it with Monday's 6 miler).It also doesn't include the 3 miles easy scheduled on Saturday but Sunday's longer long run makes up for that. Incidentally, Ten, did you ever find the sub 415 plan? It was meant to be posted on the website a couple of weeks back.

Week Eight w/c 13/2/12 approx 36MMon 6M steady + strength trainingTue 1M jog then 4 x acceleration strides. 4 x 1M or 1600m at 10K pace (approx 8:20) with 3 min jog recoveries, then 1M jogWed RestThu 1M jog, then 3M at half-marathon pace, then 1M jogFri Rest + strength trainingSat 18 miles easy Sun Rest
  • Wow - we are all such a great advert for running aren't we!

Poor USB with a broken toe!... and Craig with the 'wildies' - my hubby has had that too and lost half a stone. If only I could loose half a stone that easily - would rather not do it like that though!

A big thank you to everyone who has posted messages of support.

KR - I usually go around cleaning all the doorhandles and haven't recently so will be on the case tomorrow! I also won't open public toilet door apart from with my little finger or holding a tissue and I usually cayy that alcohol wipe in my handbag although I haven't done that recently. Trying to be less OCD!

Sleepy has been lovely and bossy with sensible advice - but I have to report that I did a 16 run today but .... v v v slowly promise SB!

Looking forward to my rest day tomorrow and going out for dinner tonight! Going to treat myself to steak and frites! YUMMMMMMMMMM!

Thank you again everyone - your support has really cheered me up when I have been feeling low over this week or two!

• Gotta deserve extra jaffa cakes for an 18 miler image

Glad you're feeling better Emma - please don't struggle on in silence if you feel rubbish again - no one will think any the worse of you if you need a week off - we've all been there! 

• Thaks for the schedule Sam - and I think I will definately take each day at it comes...I'll try to be sensible and only push myself when I feel I am able.

It's half term this week so I have the boys at home all week, a big party to prepare for (I'm doing the cake and decorating the hall) but I shouldn't have to get up as early so hoping that I will feel more energised by the end of the week! ... usually I can't wait to get back to work as I am so tired after the school holidays! Oh and lots and lots of A level marking to do tooimage

I will juggle the runs depending on how I feel - remembering that Friday I have a Spa day with the girls to look forward to.image

• I forgive you! Consider yourself ungrounded image

• Some wisdom and a product review from my gym experiences this week!

When using a Treadmill ... please ensure you know which units you are using. I chose imperial as I was measuring my distance in miles ... so when I programmed a 'slower' pace of 9.6 (thinking it was 9.6 km hour) - it was 9.6 MILES per hour! I nearly shot of the end of the treadmill and had the run like a fool to try and get to the buttons to slow it down! Not helped by my friends hubby on the next treadmill along who was wetting himself laughing!

The positive about running in the gym I was able to wear my new capris that I got from the asics shopping day - I have a usual pair that until now I loved. However, the asics ones are soooo comfy. The main bonus though - they smooth bum, thighs and tummy hoorah more spanx style training gear! Definately much less wobble when I ran - sorry chaps this is for the ladies as flattering running gear helps (or is that just me?). My new indoor traing faves!

Right best get ready for dinner!

Have a great run/race tomorrow everyone!

• Sam - no I never did find a sub-4:15 schedule. Either it hasn't been posted, or it's well hidden.

• Hi Ruth - I've been trying to be good and despite feeling like I've been a piggy I think I've lost a little (only 1-2 lbs) weight. I've not been having the snacks after dinner and trying to eat when I'm hungrey not because I 'deserve' to eat.

Yesterday I was tired, poorly and hungry so I had a bowl of porridge after school, then dinner veggie soup and rye bread. The porridge made a big difference so I obviously needed the fuel! After dinner I wanted a snack but didn't hit the biscuits ... had abuot a dozen nuts. Still high in calories but good calories I think?

Emma, if you need to rest proper you need to rest - listen to your body but agree with Sam for having the guts for 30miles when feeling well below par! Nuts are high in calories yes but so rich in nutrients but 6 is enough each dayimage
    Sleepy Bear wrote (see)

Gotta deserve extra jaffa cakes for an 18 miler image

Could not agree more!
  • Emma as partly discussed in Birmingham but  as a reminder:

As you will be doing some half marathons & some very long runs in lead up to Paris can I ask you to start using these races/runs to practise: 1. What you plan to eat and drink in the days leading up to the marathon? Are you going to carb load or not if yes you need to practise this for at least 1-2 days as this will not work for everyone. 2. What you plan to eat and drink the morning of the race: as far as I am aware the race starts at 8.45am? The best pre-marathon breakfast/snack is a well practise one but consider stomach comfort so make sure portion of what you eat suits you and the time you eat works for you as an individual. The pre race meal & snack should be low in fat and protein as these will take longer to leave the stomach and longer to digest (than carbs) and  both protein and fat are not needed  to fuel your race at this time as you have enough stores of these. Most runners tend to eat 3-4 hours before (for example cereals/toast/pasta/fruit juice) but then often will have a very light snack 2 hours before (banana, ½ jam sandwich, cereal bar, sipping on sports drinks). Sport drinks and gels are not necessary before the race but if it works for you then that fine.  3. How do you plan to fuel during race? Elite runners will get away with consuming very little fluid and fuel during  a marathon partly to do with  their ability to store carbs, their high VO2  max and running economy but for most non-elite runners you  will need between 20 -50g of carbs per hour. The fluid advice is to drink to thirst but one 500ml bottle of isotonic sports drink will provide around 32g of carbs so if you need 32g of carb an hour and want to use a sports drink can you drink 500ml of fluid per hour or will this be too much for you? (This is probably too much for many but weather will play a big part in this).  The advice is not to drink more than 400ml an hour for smaller runners and 800ml per hour for larger and to drink to thirst.  
  • Jaffa cake party at Em's place!  Is it BYO? image

Hope you've made it through the day without picking up any more buglets.  New capris sound fab - I love my asics ones too - though I made the fatal mistake of putting them inside out in a mixed wash with some newish bath towels - so now... they are lined with teal fluff which attaches itself to my legs when I wear them - makes for interesting showers afterwards!  LOL - I'm sure it must be nearly gone now! Top tip - don't make the same mistake image

I'm blaming OH this week for leading me astray - he went to France last week and came back with some chocolate dipped waffle thingies - OMG - am trying (trying being the key word) to ration myself.  I guess there's an odd kind of balance being struck since I had a super healthy veggie-lentil bake for dinner.  I'm sticking to the principle that if you can't translate the nutrition label - they must contain no calories! 

• Streaming with cold after a week in a room with forty five blokes and the one next to me blowing his nose all week so not run since weds, sympathy to Emma for not being too good, well done on long run. Time to get going this week again!
  • RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)
    Emma, if you need to rest proper you need to rest - listen to your body but agree with Sam for having the guts for 30miles when feeling well below par! Nuts are high in calories yes but so rich in nutrients but 6 is enough each dayimage
    Mmmm - best limit access to the nuts... will hide them away!
  • Had a great marathon workshop today - everyone showing the tenacity and focus, determination and humour that characterises we runners!image No moaning about the ice (except me!) and a great bunch which as usual I found inspring and insightful. Exhausted now after talking for 6.5 hours and off to bed.
    Ten, I'll find out about the 415 programme.

Emma, don't go nuts! See you all tomorrow.

• Well done Sam - talking for that amount of time is exhausting!

Poor you mcs - colds are wretched. Hopefully all back on track this week!

Sleepy - I've heard that they take all the calories out of french foods .. that's why our continental cousins are so slim and elegant!

Ruth - I don't think I could drink that amount even on a hot day - not unless I wore a nappy! I though gels would probably be best? What would you recommend? I have only used one gel so far in training - yesterday at mile 8.

• The average gel has around 20-30g of carbohydrate in it, so in theory you would need 1-2 per hour during prolonged exercise. I'd start with 1 per hour and see how you get on.

Ruth, a question. I always have one energy gel about 60 mins before a marathon - I have it then because it's a high caffeine gel and I believe it takes about 60-70 mins for the caffeine's effect to peak. Do you recommend people who are using energy gels take one at the start/before the race or just  once they've actually started running? Thanks.

• Hello all

Emma - well done on maintaining your runing , especially the 16 miler even though you are poorly. I hope you feel better today. Enjoy your week at home and your spa day!

I had a lovely weekend in Bath with some friends, spent a coupl of hours in the spa on Sunday morning, the rooftop spa pool is fab! No long run at the weekedn though, but hopefully the rest will have done me good! I seem to be a bit coldy but managed a slow 6 miles this morning!

• Just back from a five miler, week two of the RUNNERS WORLD ULTIMATE MARATHON SCHEDULE..... love to run at lunch time  as nice and light though the Monsal Trail was full of tourists and kids today and one woman with a dog on a very long lead that was stretched across the six foot path I had to hurdle it, she did apologise.  Hopefully that will shift the cold now.

In reference to Sams point re carbo and gels I know from my experience (not that I have much) but I only took a gel every five miles running at 9.30-9.45 in the 2010 VLM which was not really enough as I hit the old wall in Canary wharf and ended up walking for a bit before I had a load of jelly babies from some lovely Eastend ladies and got going again.  Not tried the caffeine ones in a race I thought they were recommended for later in the race???

• By eck! I found tonight's run really hard work.

7 miles including 4 x 1600m @ 10k pace. Should've been 3 min recovery but last recovery was a bit longer (closer to 5 mins) as I was crossing dual carridgeway (and was v v tired) splits 8:10, 8:12, 8:15 and 8:17 so quite pleased with that. Warm up and warm down were slow but job done.

Going to try 2 different types of gel on  my long run and see how I get on with them.

How is everyone else going on?

• Nice session there Emma, I think run's like that aren't meant to feel nice. It;s weird as although they feel tough at the time you actually feel good afterwrads? Always tough too with the short recoveries. What sort of gels are you trying out? I found the SIS gels easier to digest on the go and you can effectively take them without water, but it's personal preference though.
  • Emma - good interval session and those split times are quick - how did you feel when you got home?  if you felt ok then i reckon that's the flu bug well and truly gone !  I use the SIS Go gels as well.
  • Go Em! image

I don't use gels so can't help sorry - though my friend prefers Shotz and Lucozade to SIS as she found the blackcurrant one too watery.  I usually just take out homemade sports drink - 50% water, 50% fresh orange juice.

• Great session, Emma. Well done. A hard one to do after the time off, too. Those splits are pretty much spot-on and not much variance either so well executedimage Enjoy your rest day today. I just went for a Sidney-jog this morning to combine dog walk and run as off to London now.
  • SIS gels for me, not as gooey as the Lucozade ones and if you run out of water you can still take them. Though due to cost only use them in races, take a few jelly babies in training or wine gums, not as good for carbs but mentally seem to lift me up for the last few miles.

Nice run Emma well done. Even splits you are being well trained.image

Kielder Marathon open for entries today, that is a tough one, a mate of mine did it last year and no he wasn't the guy who cheated!!image

• EmmaC wrote (see)

Ruth - I don't think I could drink that amount even on a hot day - not unless I wore a nappy! I though gels would probably be best? What would you recommend? I have only used one gel so far in training - yesterday at mile 8.

That is why gels fit the bill nicely (as often need to drink more than what you need to get the carbs from sport drink), some people like jelly sweets, some use a mix of sports drinks and gels others could not stomach the mix! Each to what works for them which makes the marathon so special it is not enough just to do the training and hope for the best!I would use gels and water as start point. In training just one an hour to start with but we may ahve to increase this again some may need one every 30minutes some will only need 2 during a whole race!  Suggest use an istonic one such as SIS or high Five isogels. With your stomach problems do not use caffeine gels and you need to sip little and often on water to help reduce risk of stomach problems but without over drinking!   
    SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

The average gel has around 20-30g of carbohydrate in it, so in theory you would need 1-2 per hour during prolonged exercise. I'd start with 1 per hour and see how you get on.

Ruth, a question. I always have one energy gel about 60 mins before a marathon - I have it then because it's a high caffeine gel and I believe it takes about 60-70 mins for the caffeine's effect to peak. Do you recommend people who are using energy gels take one at the start/before the race or just  once they've actually started running? Thanks.

Hi Sam, I don't usually recommend people have gels before the start although many do and this causes no performance problems and if want the caffeine they provide it is useful. Caffeine peaks vary in individals but as a general rule they peak at 60minutes although you will have some affect within first15minutes. There are different approaches you can use; you can load up before or/& drip feed the caffeine within race or for some they only want the pick up in the latter part of the race when things get tough so may not have any until second part of the race. You would probably want 3mg of caffeine for each kilo you weigh some will use more and may use caffeine tablets in combo with gels or use high caffeine gels . However caffeine does not work for all and it can have side effects for some and if you have heart  palpations problems I would suggest avoid any big doses at once. I would also suggest you  abstain from caffeine in days leading up to race if want biggest "hit". In adventure races or multi day events  I have used this myself to great effect but have always used in within events due to the nature of prolonged racing but  have only needed 2mg for each kilo of my body weight to give me a boost but I have athletes that have used caffeine in all sorts of ways in marathon events and it has worked bu using different stategies, if used at right dose to suit that individual and not taken 5 minutes before the end! I guess if people that use caffeine gels post if they think it worked for them it may help people see and pro's and cons.