Options

Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Emma

Comments

• Options
    Emma here is an example of a wheat free carbohydrate loading day which should aid with maintain pace in latter part of race.  Practice this volume of eating for at least one day perhaps 2-3 times before long runs/race.You can spread the morning & afternoon snacks out over morning/afternoon. Protein such as fish/meat/cheese should be kept small or cut out altogether to reduce volume/bulk of diet. You will have adequate protein in the below menu for this short period. 

Breakfast60g of porridge with 200ml of milk & 200ml fruit juice & 1 slice of wheat free bread/rye bread with generous spread of jam   85g Mid-morning 2 plain rice cakes topped with large banana and drizzle of honey & small fruit smoothie (200ml)65-70gLunch 75g white rice salad with a low fat sauce or & 500ml of fruit juice diluted with a further 250ml of water (drink over afternoon). 110gMid-afternoon200g low fat yoghurt and 2 x slice of free from fruit loaf55gEvening meal 300g jacket potato or sweet potato with ratatouille filling55gSupper Small bowl of porridge with milk & 1 x slice of wheat free bread60g1-2 hot drinks with milk over day. 15gTotal approx carbohydrate (grams)450g  

Race day:  Good bowl of porridge 2-3 hours before but this portion must be well practiced then water as needed.

What do you think to the fruit juice? Would diluting juice work better instead of fruit juice?

• Options
    Can somebody please tell me where I can get salt tablets? I want to have some on hand ready for my longest training runs, and possibly the marathon itself.

I've asked in a supermarket and a chemist, and everyone was clueless where you would find "salt?..... in tablets???????".
  • Options
    Thanks SB.

Crikey, they're expensive.... perhaps I'll make my own image
  • Options

Don't some sports drinks have electrolytes in them anyway? These are a bit cheaper ... or my friend's horse has a salt lick he might share with you image

http://www.highfive.co.uk/salts_INT.php

http://www.simplyrun.co.uk/products/2401-high5-zero-electrolyte-hydration-tablets-neutral.html

Ruth'll be along very soon to save us I'm sure .... *closes eyes tight and wishes* (ditto to oscarr's BIG thank you)

[edited with even cheaper link + no p&p]

• Options

Hi Tenjiso

I'm not sure it's wise to take salt (sodium chloride tablets) without advice from a sports dietitian - they'd only really be needed in a very hot country I would say. I would have thought that the electrolyte salts (including sodium chloride) would be sufficient for your long runs. Ruth, any offers?!

Hi Emma, hope you're feeling 100% again. Sandwich run today, your favouriteimage

• Options
    Thanks SB/Sam. As you say, perhaps Ruth will have a view. The idea was to have some available in case of cramp.

SB - I think the less said about the horse's "salt lick", the better!
  • Options

5 days to my birthday everyone - not that I'm counting down or anything.  Foot pod, foot pod, foot pod yayyyyyy - can't wait to see what HR equates to what pace and vice versa - time to do science on myself - more graphs!

Loitering just now as chaps putting loft insulation in - can watch them with one eye from the study.  Rascal is fascinated by the rolls of fluffy stuff.

Are you having exciting half-term adventures Emma? You must be shattered running round with the kids and then trying to do a run too. 

• Options
    Sleepy - not another diet coke moment ...?
  • Options

Unfortunately not! Maybe when the removals guys turn up though ... Might have to get a multipack in for that image

Tenjiso - he's a nice horse honest! image

• Options
    SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Hi Emma, hope you're feeling 100% again. Sandwich run today, your favouriteimage

Hi Sam - I actually did my long run today as we are having a big party for my father-in-law on Saturday. Managed 19 miles v v v slowly apart from last 1 mile at marathon pace - weirdly I found this easier (bit downhill so that probably helped). I will therefore do my sandwich run on Saturday morning before the party. Given that I have run 52 miles in the last 7 days I am quite chuffed. I know is would be better to have the 7 days between my long runs but life kinda gets in the way!

I have been baking and icing cakes until the early hours so am tired - therefore pretty pleased with the run. I also tried 2 gels - BLEUGHHHHHHHH! The SIS one actually made me retch so shan't be having those again. Might try Hi 5 again or get some Gu ones as they do chocolate flavour and cappuchino too!

Ruth - had porridge for breakfast and had no cramping at all! YAY (also used immodium - but usually even that doesn't do the trick). This I have some major insight about the change - no wheat, eating early enough the night before and anoter thing that I shall email!

So looking forward to trying out my carb loading on Saturday ahead of the TW half - could I have a veggie risotto instead of rice salad on the saturday (hate cold rice!).

SB - we have been doing family chores, swimming lessons, trip to the park and yesterday 5 hours at Fishers Farm on all sorts of rides and activiities - great fun but cold and stupidly tiring for sitting down watching the kids play!

Right now need to add the decoration to my iced cakes! Wishe me luck - Delia/Mary Berry I am not!

• Options

Bet they look and taste just scrumptious Emma - as long as you bake with good intentions you can't go wrong! Oven's can tell if you're in a bad mood you know - well mine certainly can!

Yayy for your 52 miles - all bow to the queen of mileage! Good effort! And on top of kiddie-circuits too - I can manage about 1 hour of child-fun before I need a 'little sit down'.

• Options
    Good going Emma, and good luck for the TW half.
  • Options

Wow, great run Emma, well done! That's pretty tough doing that with only a few days separating it from your previous long run. Glad the last mile at MP felt easier too - that should help your confidence.

So rest day tomorrow then (if there isn't one scheduled, take one anyway pleaseimage) And then sandwich run on Sat before cake-loading in the afternoon (oops I mean carb loading)

• Options

Hi Emma

Just checking in with a look ahead to next week's training - week 9 already! And that means... TW Half Marathon! I've scaled the mileage back in preparation for this to give a good go at the race. If it's not feasible to do the 3 miles easy on Saturday, you can do it on Friday.... I just like to go out the day before a race and do an easy jog and some strides to 'wake up' my legs.

Week Nine w/c 20/2/12 approx 32MMon Rest + strength trainingTue 1M jog, then 4 x acceleration strides 6 x 1000m (or 5 mins) at 10K speed (or 5:15), with 90-sec jog recoveries, then 1M jogWed RestThu 8M slowFri Rest + strength trainingSat 3M easy plus 4 x acceleration stridesSun Tunbridge Wells Half Marathon plus w-up and cool down 15M
  • Options
    Way to go Emma impressive mileage..............have a good weekend. Have you tried jelly babies on the long run, i like them and wine gums. Must say I dont particularly like the gels and a pain to open usually manage to get very sticky. Anyone got tips for opening them with out spraying hair and specs??? All the best for Sunday.image I know that there is a sub two hour coming, I can feel it in the bones...........no pressure just know it!!!
  • Options
    mcs - i use the SIS Go gels and they are fluid enough to decant 3 of them into a 250 ml hand held water bottle (before the run!) which is easy to carry and you can sip the gel as you go without getting splashed !!
  • Options

mcs - you have hair??? image

check you oscarr - that's genius!! 

Emma - have a fab run on Sunday - I will be sending you virtual fast & light  vibes - relax, enjoy,  then tell us all about it x

• Options
    Thanks for all the positivity- race is 26th so can you send the vibes or then!
  • Options
    Sleepy - it comes with just trying, just trying... one of my other passions (apart from running and Sunderland football club) is golf and my favourite quote from Gary Payer is when he holed a bunker shot and a spectator remarked "that was lucky" to which GP replied "funny, the more i practice the luckier i get !!"
  • Options
    EmmaC wrote (see)
    Thanks for all the positivity- race is 26th so can you send the vibes or then!
    I'll start the positive vibes early Emma... good luck for next Sunday.
  • Options

Thanks KR! Which half are you doing tomorrow? Hope you sleep well and have a great race. I can't believe I've only got 4 long runs scheduled before I taper - where did that time go? See you in a few weeks!

• Options

Did my sandwich run this morning - but because I am stupid did 8 miles not 6 (poor route planning).

So total for the week 42 miles - the most I have ever done in a week! Yay!

Time to finish the cake, wrap presents, prepare balloons, do some quick ironing and get set for the party!

Good luck for everyone training and racing this weekend!

• Options
    Hi Emma, doing the half marathon in Wrexham. Staying at my brothers tonight and kids & mrs KR are staying at home, so I am kid free! Looking forward to the race although got lots of butterflies in my stomach!
    Enjoy your party.
  • Options
    I did have hair sleepy when I last sprayed a gel.....will try that idea Oscar thanks.
  • Options

mcs - LOL - I'm certainly glad I got all mine cut off - I can only imagine the nightmare of it! image

Hang on Em - didn't you do 52 miles last week - or was that an overlap of two 'weeks'?  

Beautiful day here - managed to do my 7.5 mile circuit 5 minutes faster than usual (not sure why - or how - just gonna enjoy the fact it happened).

Anyone been out racing this weekend? 

• Options

SB - I had done 52 miles in 7 days on Thursday as I had both my long runs only 5 days apart. SO actually you are correct the most I have run in a week is 52 miles! Well done on knocking such a huge amount off your 7 1/2 mile run - amazing!image

However if I coun't strictly Sunday - Sunday then this week was 42. If I count Thirs to Thurs 52 - does that make sense at all?

Anyway pretty chuffed and also chuffed that I now and two rest days - I need the recovery time. Especially as school is likely to be bonkers this week!

How has everyone got on with their races today?

• Options

Emma - Wow, 52 miles! enjoy your rest days!

I did 17 miles yesterday morning, was really tough going in wind and rain, walked a bit but pleased to make the distance and still be alive!

• Options

MWW - well done stirling stuff! I was amazed that I found it so hard getting to 13 - yet I am hoping to race that next weekend.... mmmm not sure about that!

I can't wait to be running without layers and layers of clothing - but then I'll be complaining that it's too hot!

I wanted to put a picture of the cake I made on here but the damned thing is too big - don't know how to resize it. So will see if I can post a link! Can you tell I am proud of my artistic creation?