Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Emma

Comments

• the bickering boys don't get any better as they get older - mine can be a nightmare!

oh, and I put on 4 stone with each child. I did lose it inbetween, but still haven't got back down to pre-baby weight.

• I put on several stone with the birth of my first child. I've no idea how much the wife put on.
  • I didn't put on any weight, but have gained alot of grey hairs with my 2 boys. I think all boys bicker mathschick, mine are like tooth & nail most of the time. It's when they are quiet that's the worst - what are they up to? image

Tried a few of those side planks tonight Emma - not an easy one, but hopefully they'll get easier!

• 4.3 fell route uphill for the first mile and a quarter in headwind driving rain and lots of mud.....ouch.......shower time, have a good day.
  • Hello Emma

Congratulations! I hope you are feeling better.

I have a similarly hectic lifestyle, 3 very busy children (although older than yours) and work as a University Lecturer. I run early mornings as I provide a taxi service for the children in the evenings! I have done 3 marathons (London each time). I look forward to following your trainign as I get into my schedule for VLM!

Good luckimage

• Still feeling sickly but not as nauseous as yesterday!

Looking farward to track tonight - I've been running much less over the last week or so and think I need to blow away the cobwebs.

I didn't manage to loose the weight inbetween each pregnancy - but also think getting older makes it more difficult. At the fitness assessment they told me I was a shocking % fat - above normal! ARGHHHHH! Bit depressing but apparently because I have it all around my bum it is ok!image Very cheeky tenjiso!

Such a good idea running in the morning - what time do you go out? I get up at 5:50 as it is to get to work on time - think getting up earlier might push me over the edge! Perhaps when it starts to get lighter I might be able to manage it?

I hope I don't disappoint everyone and stick to the schedule as well as you! In my rather OCD way of doing things I have interpreted Sams schedule in to a spreadsheet. It's not all fancified with colour and funtions written in but I can post it if it would be useful to folks as a tick list. It also contains details of races that I am entering - hopefully see some folks there? Just let me know if you would like the spreadsheet posted.

Sort of in the words of my alter ego Brucie 'Keeeeep Running!'

• Emma - I get up at around 5.45 and run before work, I couldn't get up any earlier either! It would be useful to see the spreadsheet you have prepared. I'm sure you will give it your best shot, looking forward to keeping up with your progress.
  • HI Emma

Yes, the spreadsheet works and thanks for posting it! Although you are more advanced than I am it is useful to see what you are doing.

I also have to get up at 6 on a normal day to get ready for work, so on the days that I run I get up about 4:30image. Actually not too bad when you get used to it, even in the dark! I put all my gear in the bathroom so I can get up without disturbing OH, so I just roll out of bed, have a bit of water, get stuff on and go. I take some water with me too, but don't eat or anything before heading out. It is honestly the only way I can fit the runs in to the busy day - even if I leave school early as soon as I get home it is cooking/ferrying kids about etc and no time to myself.

Not sure what time I will have to head out when I have to up the midweek mileage though! I am dead slow so would have to leave really early to fit 10 miles in, so not sure how I am going to do that!

• The link works Emma.

I keep my stats in spreadsheets too. I keep information about mile split times and heart rate (among other stuff), so that I can directly compare runs and see what improvements have been made. Treadmills are great for keeping benchmark runs because the conditions can be easily replicated, but a regular outdoor route also does the job.

I know, I'm anal and a geek image
  • I'll update the spread sheet as we go along - I have only learnt how to put a spreadsheet on a website this afternoon so I am quite chuffed with myself.

Its a different version to my previous two years sheets which got progressively complicated as I logged my distances etc. This is ana daptation from Sams programme and therefore is much more detailled about the type of session rather than just being focussed on the milage - hopefully it is this different approach that will make the difference!

Tenjiso - nothing Geeky as far as I'm concerned and I bet mathschick would agree! We love spreadsheets in maths and science you know! My spreadsheet from last year would ping up all sorts of colours at various milage markers etc - so I could track if I was under or over target!

I am so impressed by MathsChick and MWW - for their early morning runs! I could possibly try that on days when I know I have a lighter teaching load? I need to drop the boys off at 7:15 and then hit the road as the traffic around these parts is pants!

Now I've got a funky new Garmin and can connect to the Garmin website I suspect that I will get even more geeky!

• Emma - spreadsheet is great!

MathsChick - you are a very early bird! In the past I have got up at 5am to fit in a longer run, I think that is the earliest I can remember!

• Can you remember when we used to see 5am before we went to bed rather than after? I used to love being out until the sun came up - how my life has changed now I still like to see the sunrise but at the start of the day not the end of the previous one!

My NY resolution is to get to bed at a decent time as I am too often going to bed at 12 and then getting up before six - not healthy!

Right - finishing off thankyou cards, wash load and dinner for the boys!

• Hey Emma, how are you feeling? Hope you managed to get to the track last night and get through your speed sesh! I, too, got struck down by the horrible tummy bug and have been laid low. Really hope you're on the mend now.

A couple of people have asked about the strength training. As Emma said, I'd narrowed it down to four exercises because it would be hard to fit a longer routine in to her schedule. As far as I'm concerned, the main areas to focus on are trunk stability (through plank), pelvic stability (through bridge), knee stability (through single leg dip, or what Emma called 'sitback or sitdowns') and finally, posture, alignment and calf flexibility through a full squat. If you have time on your hands (!) I'd also add in a calf raise/lower on a step. Place a tennis ball just above your ankle bones and hold it gently in place as you go up and down. If the ball drops out, it means that as you rise up, you are moving on to the outsides of your feet which isn't good. Try to keep the ball of the big toe joint down and rise directly upwards and downwards. This can help to stave off all manner of lower leg problems from shin splints and PF to calf and Achilles issues.

Here's the next week's training for Emma:

Week Two w/c 2/1/12 approx 25MMon 5M steady + strength trainingTue 1M jog, then 12 x 200m (or 1 min) at Mile/5k speed with 200m (or 1 min) jog recoveries, then 1M jogWed RestThu 1M jog, then 3M at Half-Marathon pace (approx 27 mins) then 1M jogFri Rest + strength trainingSat 10M easy (approx 1 hour 40) (opt for a more level, even surface if possible)Sun Rest
  • Thanks Sam - appreciate the added description.
  • Emma - I think you mentioned you are running (or have already run) the Watford Half? I've just entered it for my first build-up race. do you know anything about the course profile?
  • Sorry about my dodgy descriptions - I have many of my won words for things.

Poor you Sam - I'm still feeling a bit rough so have an appointment to see doctor on Friday. I even have a very sore tongue now to add insult to injury - will send you an email.

Last night - all kitted out with my new Garmin - and off to the track. It was a total wash out - the track was ankle deep and the rain was like stair rods (sorry an expression from my mother). So we headed home. I got a jacket and hat on and set out for the 3 mile gentle run intended for today. Somehow running in the rain along roads was better than trying to sloosh around 16 laps of the trak.

This morning I went our and did the speed suggestion as suggested by Sam. 1st mile easy (10.30 - prob bit too easy but still not firing on all cylinders) followed by 2 faster miles (8:16 and 7:59) followed by a couple of slower miles to trot home. Where I completed my strength exercises and a few stretches.

Given that my run tomorrow is only 10 miles and at a slow pace I think I will be fine - if I was planning a 15 mile run tomorrow I may have waited to do speed session until after the long run. Anyway - chilli and lasagne to make (chilli will not be consumed before run tomorrow!) and an apple crumble for the boys.

Loving my Garmin and the garmin connect to analyse my results - will try heart rate monitor tomorrow possibly!image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I hope you feel better soon Emma.  Well done on still getting a session in when feeling under the weather. 

I hope you don't mind but I'm going to copy some of what Sam said above strength training onto my thread.  We've been having a lot of discussions about it and I like the sound of the tennis ball trick.

• Sorry to hear of tummy bugs, get well soon. Just done a wet and windy eight .21(can't forget the bits!) in a respectable sixty nine mins trying to keep pace up.........going to keep on my Hal higdon schedule as it fits my may 27th date and just learn from what happens on here as well as Craigs thread. Happy chili Emma!
  • Tenjiso - I'm going to enter the Watford now and will do some research while the chilli cooks!

Minni - by all means use whatever you think will help you and fellow runners!image

I'm trying to maintain a PMA and hope to be better tomorrow - Could fal asleep at the table right now. SO exhausted - this has to get better!

• Tenjiso - it sounds hilly but scenic! I shan't be expecting a pB then!

The other build up I have chosen is the Tunbridge Wells half - also hilly and scenic!

• Hi Emma, just back from a few days away.  Thanks for the link to your full schedule which works and I found it a useful check on my own.  What pace or time are you aiming for at the Surrey Spifire 20 miler ?  I did the autumn version of this race this year and really enjoyed it - a 2 lap course with some gentle undulations so a great one to test your pacing and it's not crowded at all (although the spring one may be busier) and after about 3 miles on the airstrip you head out onto country lanes which are very scenic (even though it threw it down !!).

Good to see you getting stuck into your schedule.

• I think the plan will be to be at a bit slower that marathon pace then to pick it up for final few (5?) miles but I could be wrong. Either way I was abismally slow last year (went to loo in the portaloos after the first lap) and so would like to be faster. Probably about 3:20?

Tummy troubles were a real problem for me last year so hoping to get that in check for this year! That said - as we had run so slowly I managed a sprint finish - I have a photo of me running in with my two little boys chasing me - bless them!

Are you near Dunsfold?

• Emma - what is it with you ladies and loos in races?  My daughter in law sent a load of texts from a portaloo at about 20 miles in the VLM last year much to the surprise of the recipients!

I'm based in Reading so its about an hour down to Dunsfold.  My spring marathon is the inaugural "The Marathon of the North" (it's my home town of Sunderland) and it's 3 weeks after Paris (6th May) - races booked so far in the build up are Watford and Reading Halfs - I may do Dunsfold as its at end of week 9 in my schedule which has me doing a 21 miler @ 10mpm.

• I'll hopefully be somewhere near 10 min miles too!image
  • I know always need the loo at mile 17! Had to queue at VLM - get a really upset tummy. But have had a consultant (who looked about the same age as one of my students) check it out and it is just one of those things to manage!

I should see you at Watford and Spitfire then - good news!

• Morning

Emma - I have tummy troubled too, but take immodium before a long trianing run or race. It does work, I have never neeed to stop for the loo during a race (yet)!

I'm heading out for my lasy run of the year this morning, aiming for 8 - 10 miles, see how it goes!

• Emma - sorry to make light of your loo problems, it can't be pleasant but I guess it's one of the challenges of the long races

See you at Watford at least

• Managed 10 miles this morning, felt more like 20...can't believe I have ever run 26.2!

Have a good NYE everyoneimage

• Well done MWW - managed 10.1 this morning - boy it was TOUGH! But miles clocked. Just think - these tough runs make the easy runs all the sweeter!image

Oscarr - I have to make light of the loo situation! I am renowned for planning routes that go via public toilets! This morning we had to go via a garden centre, much nicer than using MacDonalds loos! Def see you at Watford and hopefully at the spitfire - its fairly small so should be able to spot each otherimage.

Right, kids fed and I need to shower as I still haven't had a chance to after my run (stinky). Poor hubby is struck down with the vomity bug so I am in charge of the Beastie Boys. They are going to be dragged around town I think looking for some crockery - sure they will love it! Think Rye bread is the way forward so will try to source some of that too!

Happy New Year everyone!image

Week one done - onwards and forwards!image