Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Emma

Comments

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

I was looking at the 610 - and quite like what I see.

I'm feeling a lot better today than I thought I would - in fact, I thought I would be REALLY bad yesterday but I was achey but ok.

Still know that I've worked hard and I've got a dull pain at the bottom of my shin but compared to Monday image

How about you?

• Just looked in to read your race report Emma.  Very well done and many congratulations on the run.

I wouldn't have popped my head above the parapet but thought I might make comment to Ten on his pace settings query.   I have a 305.  I have the 3 screens revolving.  On one screen I have the overall time and distance run.  On both of the other two screens (so I'm seeing these two thirds of the time) I have 4 pace settings showing:  Current pace, Current lap pace, Last lap pace and Average pace.   My control of pacing has been transformed since I've set the watch like this.   The least useful reading is current pace and I rarely look at that as it's unreliable.  So setting the screens up with 3 pace settings only would probably work well.  The ones I find myself looking at most are current lap pace and overall average pace.  I find it useful however to see what the last lap pace was as well.   Hope this helps!

• Forgot to say great report Emma - a good read. Interesting to read other peoples report of the same race and sharing in their experience - nice one!
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Thanks chs, appreciate the input - I'm seeing a general consensus that current lap pace and overall average pace are the ways to go.

I remember when I first wore my Garmin (305) and a woman asked me the time. Embarrassingly, I hadn't thought of including that on the display. She gave me a right evil stare when I said I didn't know, since she could see I was wearing one of the biggest watches on earth.
  • i've added time as a page on my Garmin as I used to get very confused!

I am back in high heels today - not bad 4 days after a marathon. Definately feel better than after the last one. Still thinking about Edinburgh .....!

• knight rider wrote (see)

Hi Emma, hope Monday morning was okay for you (and the whole day!), I don;t know how you managed going into work after the marathon and travelling back! You did brilliant on Sunday and I'm so pleased you nailed your target time and got your PB. We've all got some brilliant memories from the weekend (and the whole 16 weeks too). One of mine was seeing you coming down to the finish and looking really strong and in control. It was also great meeting up with you and meeting Mr EmmaC and you are both really lovely and so easy to talk to.

Speak soon, Colin x

Thank you Colin - what a lovely thing to write.

Loved meeting everyone's OH's - just added to the lovely group of people! Mrs KR is great company and I love the sound of her job!

Thank you for saying I looked strong at the end - I think by the time I had got in everyone was at fever pitch as there were so many pbs! On the video I whizz past lots of people at the end... mmm think I should have done more earlier? It has goven me loads of confidence for next year! Plan to do Brighton/London/Paris possibly and definately Edinburgh as it has a negative gradient over all! Would love to do Berlin too!

Still very very excited!

• That is B'ton  or London or Paris - not all 3 - I'm not Rosie!
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    There's a few of us already booked for Brighton, Emma. Not that I'm trying to tempt you or anything (like I said to Craig - just before he booked image).

Suggested name for the new thread, if I'm not too late:
    Asics 26.2 - Class of 2012.

One thing I've noticed about the taper - I can't stop thinking about the running! Must stop procrastinating with work, chores and so on!!!!
  • mmm you are making a good case for Brighton!

I know what you mean about the taper - does funny things to your mind. I always get exhausted/overwhelmed and need to lie down a lot!

• Ten - like the thread name or something similar

When do you think Brighton will get fully booked ?

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Difficult to say Oscarr, but I think the standard entries close on 30th April if they are not all sold and a ballot starts for the remaining places. Also, the price is tiered. The first 2000 places were £45 (already sold), the current lot are £55 and then finally £65. I forget how many in the last two price bands.
  • Hello all

Emma - I have registered for Brightonimage Maybe should have waited until after Sunday!

I have posted a pic on Craig's thread in case anyone is watching on SUnday...I'm sure you will see me amongst the 36.000!

Hope to pop in before Sunday, looking forward to Expo tomorrow!

• GOOD LUCK MWW! You will be amazing! Big hugs and enjoy EXCEL - its an amazing event! image

Looks like I'll be doing Edinburgh ... although will be gutted that everyone else has got their marathons sooner!

• Emma - Endinburgh will be great...I would do it if I lived closer!

Thank for your wishes Emmaimage

• I'd love to do Edinburgh as well, but have only ever done one marathon a year.
  • Me too - just in a post marathon haze of thinking it is amazing and forgetting the training required!
  • My baby sister did it last year as her first. Loved it. I have always had a sneaking fancy for CIM in Sacramento - for my first to third marathons I followed 4 Months to a 4 Hour Marathon [because it was called that!], and at the back of the book he tells you about marathons [in the US] where you are likelier and likeliest to get sub 4, and CIM is nett downhill.

Mind you when I looked on their website it didn't sound quite so whee as he made it sound in the book.

A very fun read anyway.

Now ditched in favour of a more quality scientific approach with pilates galore.
  • Mmm - I've seriously neglected my core training Reiki - think that needs addressing over the next few months!
  • Emma -very belated well done to you!!! Loved your race report. image I'm sure it will have encouraged lots of people, not just how you did time wise (absolutely BRILLIANT !!!!) but also your honesty about nerves etc, tho' I hope that one day you get a little more on top of your nerves, as I have now discovered that I can actually enjoy the build up to a race (apart from the last few minutes) and this simply adds to the overall enjoyment of the day. image

All the best for the future, and as for your core work, you probably couldn't find anyone better than Sam Murphy for ideas on that!

Take care imageimageimage
  • Emma

Apologies for the delay in my belated well done too!!!

I have loved following you along your journey and all the ups and downs you have had along the way and to see you come out the other side on a high note!!

Today I have registered for Brighton too. I did it the first year and it was just great. I didnt get the time I wanted though...I had sooooo many injuries that in the end my physio cobbled me together just to get me over the line!! I havent been able to do the last 2 and there are still this niggling thoughts in my head that I need to go back and beat my nemesis and get a sub 4 hour.

Good luck to anyone running in London on Sunday. I live about 100 meters from one of the start lines and I will be cheering you all on right until the last person passes the line!!! Good luck!

• I have left my credit card at home so cant sign up for any races, you lot are a nightmare...........I will end up in big trouble if I listen to Ten and others on here. Think I will be doing a trail marathon next year for a change. Save money and travelling too far. White Peak Marathon is a toughie but here in the Peak District or the Grindleford Gallop which is a 21 miler early March to save cash.

There are so many great marathons world wide to do!!image

Tall Trees Marathon in California check that one out!!!

• mcs my credit card number is etched in my brain!
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    I'm blaming Ten for my skintness (and OH not being best impressed with me).

mcs: if it's any Help, I have to go miles for anything as well. At you get hills image
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    I merely sowed the seed.... image Still... I'm looking forward to having a hotel room within minutes of the start line, ready for the inevitable last minute toilet break image

In the meantime, eight mile run tomorrow morning to try out my new Garmin settings. Feet up Sunday morning to watch London.
  • Morning Emma. Belated congratulations for your Paris marathon - result! image
  • Thank you jogs - pretty chuffed and getting really excited about doing another one. Nearly clicked button to apply fo Edi but didn't in the end. Seems a shame to let the high milage that I have got up to go to waste! Then I have to start all over again next Christmas ...image

Are you doing VLM? Or have you done your already?

• No, a marathon is not really a target for me at the moment....but I am looking forward to watching some of the VLM! See your point re: finding a new target - hope you find a good one.
  • Jogs - now toying with the idea of Dublin - marathon crazed at the moment!

• Emma - just looked through the photo gallery from Paris on the home page - great photos - reckon you'll be offered a modelling contract next !!!
  • Oscarr bless you - I was shocked at how old I look in some of them so have decided that I should wear less poder as it stick to the wrinkles under my eyes! I think I look better at the end than the beginning which is rather odd!

You have made my day Sir!image