Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Emma

Comments

• Did it. VLM done 3:59.

Happy days. Great race , brilliant crowd. A very long way.

Thanks all for support.

Emma as someone a week further on have you got any recovery/walking tips?

Sam what do you advise re running again? Not a big rush on this advice as standing and walking is painful!

Thanks

Kevin

• Well done Kevster! If standing and walking is really bad my top tip for today is that, weirdly, going backwards downstairs is easier..
  • Congratulations Kevster, MWW, Steve Coach, and Rosie again!

I managed 4:06:53 went out slow, loved the weather, was fortunately wearing my trademark neon furry gloves which I was going to junk early on, but had a Pythonesque nose bleed between miles 1 and 2 and used the left one for that, didn't dare throw them in case it came back.

Legs are fine today, feel a little tired.

You can't beat the VLM, but there aren't enough loos at the green start, and there are way too many people where I am in the race by the time you get to the Isle of Dogs!
  • Thanks all. I have avoided this forum last week because people had already finished.
    Rosie 2 marathons in a week, you must be mad. Currently going downstairs one step at a time!
  • MWW - first off - well done - you have had the dtermination to complete a marathon! imageBe proud of yourself! Secondly, I believe that 50% of a marathon is mental - you were thrown some physical difficulties and had to work mentally to overcome them ... which you did. So rest, eat, recover and then decide your next plan (doesn't have to be a marathon by the way image) so you don't slip in to post marathon dispondancy. As SB poointed out to me - (great at dishing out other peoples advice - less good at listening) - you completed the training ... that is cause for celebration (inc champagne and chocolate) isn't it. Well done!

Kevster - well done - amazing time v v jealous! Re: recovery - keep moving! But not necesarily running! Just keep moving about - I find my back siezes up if I sit down too much. This year I have been suprised about my recovery- I was back in high heels by Thursday! However, I get very fatigued for some time after ... it gets worse as the week unfolds too!

I would suggest drinking plenty of fluids and eating what you feel like for 1 week with no running and no guilt. Then start with a gentle run - your muscles may have recovered but joints won't - unless you are super human like Rosie!

I also recommend the crab - a sideways movement down the stairs!image I usually find getting on and off the toilet tricky for the first 72 hours- as my quads are usually so sore.

Sam - Weirdly leggies feel really good so far this time - aware that I need to do some roller action for my ITB - slightly treppedacious about a long run on it but did a trot on Saturday of about 5 and a bit miles which was lovely! Planning about 5 -6  this evening, 4 Tuesday, Track Thursday and 13 on Sunday! I want to keep the milage higher (1/2 and a beyond) so step up to marathon isn't so big and also because I think I run better 1/2s when I have more endurance in my legs (eg TW in Feb).

Hoping to aim for close to 1:55 for the BG 1/2 on my 40th this year - might be too big a stretch and then the Dublin marathon in October! I'm hooked - I feel so much more positive about my running and I thank you so much for that! Planning on trying to use the plan form this marathon to influence my training plan for October! Is it realistic to aim for 4:15 now or perhaps more conservatively at 4:20?

SB -  B=Nothing dampens your running enthusiasm - especially not a little bit of rain! Tell me about Cyprus!

• PS Kevster - I appreciate comment about sitting on toilet applies more to us girlies and I don't expect youto wear high heels by Thursday!image
  • Hang on....

<picks self up off floor>

Ahhh - sorry bout that - just a wee over-reaction to someone actually listening to my advice for 2nd time  (Ben's given in to me that, as and when he does a marathon, he should be coached by someone who knows what they're doing - just so much potential for damage at his pace in my mind!) image

I do try Em LOL - upside - all the mud from the first half of the run got damped down and was easier to get off when I got home after a couple of miles' worth of rain! All my own fault - I saw a sign for a castle and went to see it instead of cutting across the field when I should have - still over the moon that I can run 16 miles happily! Seem to have rediscovered Tunnock's Teacakes today though - yummmmmmm!

Has everyone seen this about recovery?

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/post-marathon-a-voyage-of-recovery-preview/2810.html

Are you sitting comfortably Em - here you go:

http://www.cypruschallenge.com/

Can't go this year more's the pity due to existing commitments but it's already in the diary for next year! I know, I know - we're ridiculously organised but I promise we have to be - our lives seem to whizz by and we end up missing out unless we plan stuff in early! We've been promising ourselves a warm weather running holiday for years so this looks right up our street!  See you there??? You know you want to... image

• I can't do it - at work!

But planning on doing Dublin marathon! image

• Not going back to Paris for a while as it could never be so amazing!
  • Emma I thought that you must have seen me on a night out! Can't believe you ran 6 mile run only a week post marathon. Respect. Crab was adopted to great effect yesterday up and down about a million steps on London underground!
  • Emma - i've come to the conclusion over the years that if you have a really good time at one event then it is dangerous to go back a second time cos there is a big risk you will be disappointed and it could dampen the early memory so if i was you i would not do Paris again but maximise the memory of a great event for you.

Also, when i did Chester last year there were a lot of Irish runners at the B&B i stayed at who were not very complementary about the Dublin marathon - they do marathons all over Europe and reckon their home event is too expensive and not very well supported along the route which they think is also not that interesting - just one opinion of course

Sleepy - love the sound of the Cyprus 4 day event - Club La Santa do a similar event over (I think) 3 days which sounds good as well - something a bit different and in warm weather - good to keep in mind for my future planning

• It is quite expensive at 70 Euros - yet I have heard really lovely things about it from some people. Its a risk!

I liked the fact that Paris wasn't as roaring as London - VLM overwhelms me a bit actually. I liked the quiet bits where I could 'have a word with myself' and refocus!

I shall bear that in mind though! Thank you - can you recommend a decent Autumn marathon as an alternative - this one is appealing as during half term!image

• Emma - don't know when half term is but all of the following are very well doable as a weekend break;

Chester - about 3,000 entries last year, starts and finishes on racecourse so a grandstand finish, course is through country lanes so not much support and there is a hillyish finish - organised by runners so you are well looked after

Snowdon - brilliant run if you like hills (big ones) and the risk of it p...ing down but a fabulous experience

Loch Ness - sleepy did this one

Kielder - circuit around the reservoir - lots of ups and downs so not a PB course but very scenic indeed - Sleepy doing this one 2013 i think and Rosie did it last year

New Forrest - flatish, scenic route and a small race feel to it and well organised and nearest to you i think

Nottingham - combined with a half - good first half but a bit of a slog second half including round the rowing lake which is always windy but a good, well organised event

Langdale - great lakes scenery and very, very hilly - Sleepy's target race this year

Have a look on the race finder on RW web site for more details and more races - there's loads including some really hilly events on the south downs

Hope this helps a bit.

• You see I'm a wuss - if it says hilly - I tend to opt out! I'm also looking for an event that is not too small so I am not the last lonely ploddervout there!

I really fancied Nottingham - I lived there for 4 years and love the city - but its not running this year due to health and safety reasons! I assume this is to do with spectators etc  and road closures rather than gunfire or the general rigours of running a marathon!

Chester looks nice but bit small! image Thinking hat on!

Thank you Oscarr!image

• Emma - a 4:26 runner will never be last and never be lonely
  • Just been on Claire squires just giving page it's going up by thousands every hour. Very sad but an awesome tribute from many fellow runners and others too.
  • Makes me weep - such a sad story.

• I saw the specials giving her CPR as I approached the finish, and that really put times and such into perspective. The same happened to a brother of one of my friends years ago.
  • Morning all!

Heading back down south for a couple of days (Ben doing a duathlon tomorrow - LOL - gonna be fun - stabilisers are packed!) so if you don't hear from me that's why!  After that, he's away for the rest of the week so I'll be able to properly catch up then!

Totally agree with all the above about Claire Squires - tragic! But I'm sure she'll make a fabulous angel! I'm putting an order in for some fast wings when I get there - wonder if we'll be allowed to have angel races?

Legs are surprisingly sprightly after Sunday's jaunt - happy happy - that's the furthest I've run since '05 and have to say I stand by my past assertions that I'm better at distance than speed - and deffo, deffo enjoyed it a whole heap more! Am so looking forward to the summer miles racking up but am trying hard to be patient and build slowly.  Am so paranoid about getting injured... it happens to the best of 'em so it could so easily be me next - what a worry wort I am! Not gonna stop me though!

Robin Hood was cancelled because of a tram project Em - should be back on next year??  Jersey looks lovely too - that's another on my hitlist! I'm with oscarr on not repeating races - with the very odd exception I'm on a mission to collect as many t-shirts as I can! Have you been given the all clear to carry on running? Fingers and toes crossed image

Bo/oscarr - the pizza thing may have swung the balance! LOL - he'd not thought of that!  Still not giving in for this year though! Sorry can't remember which thread that convo was on - you see - we need one combined thread so I can keep up! hee hee

Catch ya'll later - happy mid week everyone! 

• I booked my flights to Dublin!
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    You lot are obsessed... image
  • Surely not. Doms has assailed my quads slightly today, it hasn't put me off a sneaky peek at marathons in warmer climes though.

I like the idea of the angel races a LOT.

It's always exciting to try new races, but I love having a familiar series too to have a crack at every year.

Ideally I would like to retire with immediate effect so as not to miss anything.

Emma I haven't done Dublin yet, my brother does it every year.

• Emma - than you for your very kind wordsimage Can;t believe you have eneterd Dublin...is it in October?

reikirabbit - I have serious DOMS too. Also have developed a sore footimage

• MWW - yes Dublin is during half term - on the Monday - so planning to go on Saturday am and enjoy Dublin for a couple of days, run on the Monday and travel back Tuesday. Think I am a bit mad.

Poor you with DOMS - try to keep moving, have plenty of fluid. I'm sure you'll be better soon - fingers crossed!

• What have you done Emma? Have you told the other half yetimage I have been told in no uncertain terms no more marathons this year or next!! I have not promised anything though............ Thought you were told to back off the running later in the year........enjoy Dublin is a great city for the craic as the Irish say, you may get wet though.
  • I've decided not to take the drugs offered and keep running. I can't face the thought of not running!
  • Emma I was wondering about that.

MWW My DOMS are gone, well quads a little bit sore, but I'm a happy bunny. Did a Pilates class at lunchtime, have a circuit [pilates again] class tonight, back to work tomorrow for a 9 day stretch of mainly lates, lottery win is proving elusive but I am feeling fortunate and grateful to have been a wreck mid March and yet to have managed to come through VLM in one piece.

I'm still loving the beet juice, cherry juice, loads and loads of veggies.
  • Emma - I like the sound of Dublin...no way will I manage it this year though.

rabbit - great recovery!

I am not going to run at all this week, was hoping to swim but my daughter is too poorly for me to leave. I have to work around avaiblable help and no chnace for exercise. Hope to get back to it in the next week or so though.

• MWW I did Pilates twice yesterday [sort of!], and am off to the pool for an hour on my way to work today.

Will be taking it easy this week and not running though, tendons need a break.