Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Emma

Comments

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Oscarr - I'll be at Watford too, and it'll be my first time at that event.

I'm in two minds how I'm going to run it. If the weather is favourable, I may try to PB with a sub-2:00. I see the weather forecast has moved back the snow until the Monday image - so if it's cold and dry, it could be a pretty good day.
  • Sleepy Bear wrote (see)

Wish I was oscarr but I've already done 4 races this month so I think I'd better get some more long runs in first.  I'll be looking forward to hearing all about it though.  Now if you could just run with a jaffa cake dangling just about nose height in front of Emma - the easy peasy way to a PB for herimage.

What time are you going for - you seem to be running well just now - planning to be nippy-quick?

Jaffa cakes - that's an idea....

I like Choisty's method of time targeting for races with a target, stretch and "happy with" - still can't shift the last knockings of this flu but should be ok by Sunday (hopes), it is forecast to be cold (+2/3 degrees) and the course is undulating and not a PB one so targets are;

Happy with - 1:47

Target - 1:46

Stretch - 1:44

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Emma's comment about the RW two hour pacer reminds me of some questions I had...

Does the pacer run the entire distance at steady pace, or do they make allowances (i.e. slow down) for hills? The course profile has got "negative split" written all over it, so I wondered if the pacers will likely run slower for the first half?

Has anybody followed a RW pacer before? Is it a good idea, or is it better to stick with your own plan?
  • Yes they do. Ran vlm with one they were great just I lost them as I hit a wall.
    Try downloading all the garmin updates Emma they are always changing stuff then repair.
    Thanks for write up..........
  • EmmaC wrote (see

Homework from Ruth - oily fish x1, avocado x 1 and nuts (not too many) to add good fats to my diet! Need to do my online shopping tonight - agfter parents evening and my homework from Sam 4 miles recovery!image I need 36 hours in each day 24 isn't enough!

Hope you all have a good day!

So lovely to meet Emma this weekend (and her blonde ponytail!), I got to ask lots of questions! I really enjoyed the day.

Emma, good to see you remembered all of the above even after your long run! Just to make it clear:

• oily fish once per week (sardines/pilhards, salmon, mackeral, trout, herring, kippers also there is some oil in fresh or frozen tuna but noy canned tuna). As a note to others if had a heart attack in the past then you should be eating 2-4 portions of oily fish but for all others one should be  enough.
    • I also suggested one avocado per week but eaten over two meals/two days so for example as part of a salad in evening meal then the other half in a sandwich the following day, avocado's have  good fats but also a good source of vitamin E.
    • Finally Emma's last piece of homework was to have a variety of nuts in the house and have a small handful every other  day this is really to increase the variety of nutrients in Emma's diet. I sugested this as a mid-monring snack or as an add on to her lunch but not in a snack before her run (nuts will take  a long time to digest compared to small amounts of carbohydrate foods).

Hope the rest of your week is calmer!  Keep up the good work on the nutrition front.

• Wow - 5 period teaching day, extra teaching after school, parents evening, drove home, got changed and managed my 4 mile recovery run - 4 miles at just under 10 min miles, had a shower, eaten dinner, just got to finish tesco order then I can have a cuppa! Although may have to do planning very early

I've ordered some nuts, an avocado, and tin of sardines for next week - and have written the menu for next week... I know its not perfect but crazy week and have to make sure the boys are happy too! Will try to be very good during the day to help too.

Monday - Pizza and Salad (after training & Parents Eve)

Tuesday - Chicken, meats, salad and Jacket potato 

Wednesday - Ratatouille and Jacket potato

Thursday - Jacket potato and ratatouille (leftovers)

Friday - Smoked haddock, cauliflower cheese, dry bake potatoes and vegetables

Saturday - Beef casserole

Sunday -Lunch -Sardines on toast (after race) Dinner - Chicken Kiev and salad

Monday - Lamb burgers (RW recepie)

• oscarr wrote (see)

Emma - looking forward to seeing you at Watford on Sunday - weather forecast looks like a very, very cold day so will have to gear up sensibly - my race number is 871 and i will probably have a white long sleeved top on with a red singlet over the top of it - will try and PM you with my mobile number

Anyone else at Watford on Sunday ? Coffee after ?

Mmm bit worried about what to wear actually! My legs didn't warm up at all today but my body got too hot in thermal top and jacket. WIll have to see.

If its really, really cold then don't fancy pushing it too hard as I would end up getting injured.

My number is 1010 - which I think is pretty cool! I shall be wearing a black top with my name written all over it!

Coffee after race is possible but rather depends on my chum - no family comming just Colleen and myself.

• Tenjiso wrote (see)
    Oscarr - I'll be at Watford too, and it'll be my first time at that event. 

I'm in two minds how I'm going to run it.  If the weather is favourable, I may try to PB with a sub-2:00.  I see the weather forecast has moved back the snow until the Monday image - so if it's cold and dry, it could be a pretty good day.

Looks like Emma, Colleen,Tenjiso and me at Watford then.  You guys should be at the same start point (2:00 hr) so i'll look out for you.

Tenjiso - what's your race number?  Re RW Pacer I don't know how they do it but presume they run it to get round in the allotted time so for this run a negative split - ask him/her at the start!! 

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    My number is close to Emma's - 1004.

I will be looking for around 2:00 as you say Oscarr, and I will ask the pacer. I probably wear shorts, black long-sleeved top (with a base layer), gloves, and a headband to keep my ears warm! I was comfortable wearing those at the Bedford Half-Marathon, when the temperature was 42F-44F with a light wind (about 13mph) - and the last weather forecast I saw was very similar. However, it is changing by the minute :/ It wouldn't be the first time they get it completely wrong on race day.

Looking forward to it with nervous anticipation.
  • I'm getting excited already for you guys.  I love race day especially when you're meeting up with people - it makes it so much more fun. It does look a bit chilly though you'll probably not notice once you get going.

Liking your menu Emma - am glad it's not just me that plans the week ahead's food.  I have to confess to not getting my fish quota though. (I'm just not a big fish fan.) I do eat salmon just not every week.  However, I shall take my own advice: listen and learn.  Will add some to my shopping order later.  I do love avocados though (they make truly gorgeous smoothies - with pineapple and lime juice)  and eat assorted nuts and seeds every day. 

Is it the omega oils that are the important bit of nutrition from fish Ruth?  Am I right in thinking you get these from seeds too?  Or is there a good supplement you would recommend? (Thank you)

Intervals for me today - am gonna walk my recoveries to make sure my HR drops way back down between them today - as last week it was dropping less and less in between. My efforts were faster than I'd have attempted last year though so on balance - they must be doing some good!  Remind us Emma - what u up to today?

• Sounds like Saturday was a great day Emma. Well done. Great write up.

Good luck at Watford this weekend would be nice to meet up with you all but too from from me. I will be doing Wilmslow half in March.

This weekend did Chernobyl 10km and got a pb of 46.45 so the training is definitely working.

Off out now to buy some fish and nuts!

Kevin

• Hi Emma

Sounds like a hectic start to the week. Well done for still managing your 4 mile recovery run!

Today's sesh is: 5M easy including 6 x 90 seconds up hill, jog back.
    The effort should be hard but not maximal and it's fine to walk the recovery to get breath back. Be picky about the type of hill you use for this kind of session - a hill that is so steep that it compromises your running form isn't very helpful. I tend to think a shallower hill, but a faster pace, makes for a more useful session. On treadmill, maybe 4-6% gradient.

I'm taking an extra recovery day following Sunday's 10-mile race. And I'm about to try out some new calf guards which have ice packs that slide into them - they are just freezing as I write. My calves are very excited!

• Well, as one of my favourite running quotes goes:
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional image
  • No reward without effort Kevster image
  • Well done Kevster - great running!

Sam - I'm full off cold at the moment. Sneezing all over the place! Think teaching all day in a freezing room and then having parents evening in a drafty hall not the best preparation!

However I did the run this evening (neck up rule) - was very, very slow - so cold tricky to get moving too fast. The hill certainly wasn't steep but had to work harder to run up it. If I will feeling a bit brighter would have pushed it more but was sensible with effort.

So targets met so far this week. Fingers crossed cold shifts.

After my run I had a veg and chicken stirfry - no pudding. Sleepy, what on earth is happening to me? Where are the jaffa cakes? image

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    I was searching through for running clothes at the back of the wardrobe and found a pair of Nike Dri-fit running tights that I didn't even know I had! I must have bought them in a summer sale - or maybe I'm just going senile. In any case, I tried them on during my run tonight. It was the first time I've ever worn running tights (or any other kind of tights, come to that). They seem comfortable enough, so I'll have them on standby in case Sunday is really cold and windy.

Hope you get over the cold quickly Emma. The kids are trying their best to spread the lurgy in our house too. I've gone for the traditional British cold preventative - a curry image
  • Emma - well doen on hitting your targets despite having a cold.

I have a cold too..ran a slow 5 yesterday. Finding it difficult to keep motivated at the moment...must try harder!

• MWW - try to be kind to yourself! If you are poorly rest - sometimes I try to force myself out when I'm not 100% and end up having a poor session. Then I feel like I'm getting worse not better or faster. On the other hand I feel guilty if I don't run.

Perhaps we should say - I'm too tired/under the weather and I'm not going to run - instead I will take this as a rest day and run better next session!

When I get that cracked I'll let you know!image

• Don't worry Emma - I ate them for you image.  I  tend to keep the study warm as that's where I work and as it was too cold to go to the kitchen for snacks yesterday  I tucked into my trusty stash instead! Oscarr's lead-jaffa should be all the more motivating on Sunday.

Get well soon all - I'm about to go out and do an hour's tango with jack frost  - got my snazzy winter wear out - it has to be cold enough for it today - I usually boil alive in it. Catch ya later ...

• Thanks sleepy - taken day off today as I only had two teaching periods (all my free lessons on Wednesdays so rest of week I don't have a break) so hopefully shouldn't impact on kids too much.

Really taking the 'feed a cold' seriously - will be troughing all day! Have a good run.

• Emma - just coming out at the end of my cold so should be ok for sunday - hope your rest today does the trick, plus all the goodies !!  Rest up and see you later.
  • Thanks oscarr - got your message will send my mobile number. You could be waiting a long while for me to finish though!image

Hope the forcast changes and it doesn't snoe as I don't fancy driving up from Sussex by the sea in snow and ice!image

• The long range forecast talked about the uncertainty of the front moving east as the warmer Atlantic air meets and pushes back the very cold east air so could be cold, could be snow, could be wet, could be warm !!!  Bet that's cheered you up ????
  • Emma, really sorry the cold has taken holdimage But very glad you've taken a day off - well done, I know you don't like to let anyone down and often push yourself when you should rest. I guess you just didn't shake it from last week and probably the tough training over weekend has lowered your immune system a bit. So rest up, plenty of fluids.

It's so great that there's a bunch of you going to Watford - I look forward to hearing how it all goes. That's if the weather allows you to get there at all. Go away snow... I've got an outdoor workshop next weekend and after doing 3 hours coaching in Regents Park on Monday, I have only just thawed out!

• Did a planned 5 mile slow run this lunchtime. Forgot my watch so no idea about pace. It was really liberating! Did it slightly quicker than I should but it was great not to keep looking at my wrist. Will defo do it again
  • Emma -well done on the hills. I really like hill sessions by time instead of distance. I try to get further each time.
  • SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Emma, really sorry the cold has taken holdimage But very glad you've taken a day off - well done, I know you don't like to let anyone down and often push yourself when you should rest. I guess you just didn't shake it from last week and probably the tough training over weekend has lowered your immune system a bit. So rest up, plenty of fluids.

It's so great that there's a bunch of you going to Watford - I look forward to hearing how it all goes. That's if the weather allows you to get there at all. Go away snow... I've got an outdoor workshop next weekend and after doing 3 hours coaching in Regents Park on Monday, I have only just thawed out!

Sam - I'v taken a nother day off as this cold is proving to be a bit of a swine. So far though I feel like it is just in my head (stops me sleeping so v tired) but I'm hoping it will keep clear of my lungs.

I am therefore missing track training otnigh - I should be able to do somethibg tomorrow morning. So how should I reschedule my training?

Friday - the speed session (could be done inside on a treddy)

Saturday - 2 miles and acceleration strides

Sunday - Watford 1/2 plus 3 miles warm up/cool down (16)

or should I skip 1 session? I did 4 monday and 5.75 Tuesday.

Hope you've tawed out and your legs have recovered from Sunday.

• Hope the cold improves and the snow doesn't last long.........freezing north of Watford up here in Derbyshire, gloves and hat on this morning. Sub two for you Emma all the best for it have you not got a chauffer driving you? image
  • Hi all - hope to be better by Sunday but taking a second day off work (un heard of) and feeling worse than yesterday. Boo hiss!

So mcs the sub 2 may well be out of the window - just chugging round might be the aim of the day!image I'm stuffed full of drugs and aiming to drink plenty of water to try and flush the bugs through.

My whole face is sore and walking the kids to school was agony - plus the fact that I couldn't see as my eyes (along with my nose) were running so much. Damned attractive!

Right water and vitamin C comming up and a second breakfast - working on feed a cold!