Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Craig

Comments

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    My race tomorrow has been cancelled due to refrozen snow and tonight's forecast! Oh well I'll have a couple of glasses of wine tonight and have a run tomorrow as usual. Disappointed.

Got my fingers crossed for you guys tomorrow.

Nice work on the 42 seconds SB! Two pairs of socks, two hoodies and a really thick pair of trackies.... Curry and rice be ready soon... Blanket later. Got an image of you all tucked up in front of a fire eating cake, ten frozen solid and oscarr turning into a bowl of pasta... So cold I'm starting to hallucinate.
  • Watford decision is now being made at 6am, rather than 8am, so at least I won't have to dig the car out for no reason. We've got light snow here at the moment (about 30 mins North of Watford) , but it is settling.
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    We've got it here too, 90 mile north of there...
  • hello all

BoD - enjoy your wine and run tomorrow. Shame the race is cancelled but just as well to avoid the increased risk!

Tenjiso - hope your race goes ahead!

My schedule has completely gone out of the window this week as I am trying to travel back and fore to work to get my daughter to and from the occasional lesson at school, she can only manage one lesson a day, and sometimes not that. I did manage a treadmill run yesterday and did 14 miles this morning, was planning 15 but ran out of time and energy.I will keep going,but  I may have to accept a very slow marathon time (nothing new there)! Very little snow here, turing to rain now.

Hope you all have a good weekend and enjoy your races / running tomorrow image

• Hi gang - your carbo loaded friend here!!  Did the same diet as yesterday and it was better today - think its the lack of protein and fat filling foods like meat and the fact that you just graze all day !!  Come to the conclusion that you have to taper into a 2 day hit like this so you ween your stomach onto it over a couple days first.  Got the taste for jaffas now but glad i don't have to have a nesquik milkshake for a while.  For the stats among you - 680g carb today, 673 yesterday vs Ruth target of 705 per day.

Can't see Watford going ahead - it's snowing here in Reading right now and the kids up the road are already starting to build snowmen and the forecast is for it to snow for about 6 hrs solid - Watford gets all this about 2hrs behind.  Couple this with the freezing temps and risk of ice i just can't see it being on.

Like you Ten, i've got number pinned on vest and chip on shoe just in case.  will get up early and check website.

• Oscarr and all - just a quick heads up - I've received a text to say Watford HM is cancelled.

I'll be wearing my numbered top on the treadmill. Perhaps I'll get the wife and kids to pop in every 30 minutes to cheer and hand me water image

C'est la vie.
  • Morning all

Sorry the half is cancelled as well, enjoy your treadmill run!

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Just a quickie: sorry guys, but there is an upside to this for me... First time my kiddie has properly seen snow!!!! He's getting fed and we're going to make snow people and all that jazz!

I'll post picture links later
  • Sorry your run is cancelled folks - who's coming sledging this afternoon then? 

Can't wait to see the pics BoD - that's a momentous day in anyone's book.  We've had to practically drag Rascal back in - she's loving it - despite it being deeper than her legs!

Right - out I go for a wee 10 mile trot - watch out for sightings of the michelin man on the news - that's how I look right now image

• I've been out sledging with the kids too. It was harder work than my inaugural Watford Replacement Half-Marathon, which took place in my garage. The half marathon took place over a flat course at 40F with good visibility (I could see clearly for several feet).

I decided to run with my heart rate monitor, so that I could compare the benchmark against previous runs ('cos I'm a nerd). I started at 7mph and dropped the pace a little every time I hit my recovery ceiling (153bpm), so my miles gradually take a bit longer and I finished up at 5.6mph, which was steady for the last couple of miles.

This leads me to wonder whether I should increase my paces in my training runs? I have been running my long runs at 5.4mph, which is actually slower than my slowest "recovery" pace today. Should I continue on the slower pace to give myself more time on my feet, or should I increase my slow pace slightly? Should I even consider adjusting my goals?

• Nerdiness is good Tenjiso - I have a whole series of spreadsheets with graphs and everything!

We averaged 12 minute miles today but as a result managed to stay out of the snow drifts at the bottom of the hills - bet we looked like bambi on the downhills but at least we were out - that's my thinking!

My runs are all based on my HR so I haven't been worrying about pace so far - I do my long runs below 148 and the pace is what it is on the day.  I don't wear my HR when racing and I always go much much quicker than in training but then as the saying goes : train to race - not vice versa. Does your programme include a good mixture of  different runs - tempo, long, recovery etc?  Do you run at different HRs on different days? Sorry more questions instead of answers!

• SB - LOL, I'm thinking that Craig's and Emma's threads are getting to the stage where they need to be merged - I get confused where some conversations are taking place image

I don't generally wear my HRM in races, or if I do - I ignore the info until post race. I do the usual mix of hard/easy runs and try to do two hard sessions in a week, in addition to the long run.
  • Tenj - LOL - me too - Cremma / Emmaig - hee hee - I love that they read each other's threads though - there seems to be a whole T26.2 family forming and it's great.

On the HR thing - as far as I understand it - as long as you're doing some harder runs each week - you will progress but I'm dubious that your long run is the right session to be speeding up too much.  As long as it feels easy and that you could keep going pretty much all day then it's at about the right level.

(P.S Am totally loving the top and waist belt Asics gave us at BC - took some jelly babies out today - how comfy is that belt? Might have to do some modifying though as even with my increased michelin padding today I could still have wrapped the straps round me twice! And the top is incredibly warm and very flattering - win win in my world)

• Which thread am I on? Fairly buried so had a day off with family here from all over the globe, china, Spain and Germany! Eating and chilling. Off on a course for a week have a good week all and let's hope this weather perks up as no treadmill here but trail shoes will be out me thinks.
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Hope this works: Day in the snow with my little 'un

MWW: Good work on the run and treadmill. Life really does get in the way of running sometimes.  Had comments from OH that stuff has not been done in the house because of running... image

Shame about the races today and hope you've managed to get the carbs out of you oscarr... Did it help with you training run today? 

Ten: I'm gonna leave that to someone who knows what they are talking about to answer... But the 'A Bit Different to Watford Half, Half' sounded positive... At least your garage isn't snow covered road where feet get twisted and ruined.  

SB and Ten: Seriously, how can you confuse Emma and my threads??? Good lucking, inteligent, viberant, smart, witty woman and then you have me... image I really like the belt thing too, means I can take my phone on longer runs without having to put it in pockets etc and also good for gels and all that... Better than the little pocket in my tights and shorts. 

mcs: sounds great! Good luck with the course and I've had my trails out too (not that they helped that much).

Right guys, really suprised I made it out today, threw up last night... Had a chinese in the end and think it didn't like me v much. Did get out this evening though for 5 miles (was going to do 7/8) with my trail shoes (that I wear as normal shoes and not for running). God that hard in the snow... Never run in snow before, sliping all over, feet strugging and aching... Seriously... Ough I want it gone now... 

1    10:56.0    1.00    10:56
    2    10:17.2    1.00    10:17
    3    10:49.1    1.00    10:49
    4    10:24.0    1.00    10:24
    5    10:43.1    1.00    10:43
    6    1:36.3    0.16    10:08

HR running at 157 ave with is 83% of max... Really was hard for the pace... Hard work this running melarkie.  

• Awwwww bless - how cute! Looks like you had fun!

Hope your tummy has settled.  I'm not surprised it was hard work with nothing in your system.  So are you starting to notice any changes now that you're a fully fledged athlete?  

• Oscarr - good effort on the carb load, it does not work for all but for most runners of club level it will be very useful but you need to go for it and really see how this works for you - please let me know how your run felt although this may not be raced paced!I can not believe you have snow. Scotland  feels warm - that never happens when England has snow !

Bo-Duke:  SO CUTE!! They do make you smile.

Good for you for getting out after being sick. Also what a difference in breakfast - well done!!!

You may be caving chocolate if you have up your mileage this week but a little chocolate is allowed as you are training to run a marathon!

Keep working on organising and planning head in regards your food.

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Thanks SB: it was really good. Think he will like it better in a year or so.

Not sure about that... Athele??? Me??? That's the funnyest thing I've heard this century!!! FOFL...
  • Week 7? Consistent, structured training - I stick to my assessment! Best you start thinking that way boyo - after you pick yourself up from the floor! Running's for life - not just for Christmas you know  image
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Hi Ruth! How's things? He is looking cute isn't he.

Didn't oscarr do really well with the loading. Think there are going to be a few of us going pasta crazy before Fleet and in the Spring. Last night really wasn't good, not been that I'll for a while. Was tempted not to go today, but figured I should really.

As you've given me permission, might have a hit chocolate before bed....
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    SB: good point... Funny but need someone to point that out from the outside. Can't believe it's week 7 already and I've only missed one session!
  • Craig/SB - I've had it on good authority that I'm an athlete. My doctor told me I had an athlete's foot.
  • The old ones are always the best

smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gif

Just to satisfy my curiosity Craig and to save me going back through this whole thread - do you have a summary handy of your weekly mileages to date?  You're doing about 32 this week I think aren't you? 

• Hi Craig

So sorry the race got cancelled - the snow put a huge spanner in the works all weekend (still is down my wayimage) But well done for getting out. I tried this morning but I am hopeless at running on slippery surfaces and really tense up.

So how are conditions now for this week's runs? And have you had a chance to test out your strength training regime yet?!image

SB, here are the mileages so far for Craig:

week 1 20

week 2 22

week 3 21

week 4 26

week 5 28

week 6 24

week 7 32

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Ten:
    image How funny was that? Have to remember that one the next time I get asked how training is going in the office.

Thanks Sam, beat me to it.... Conditions seem to be better now, melting but going to take it easy first thing and keep an eye out for ice.  Hoping that I can get my Garmin to work properly, can't delete the scheduled workouts from the watch, which is really annoying when your trying to do intervals...Can anyone help??? Have issues with Training Center too, but trying to sort that... image

Know what you mean about tensing up, like someone has taken all of the 'relax juice' out and replaced with 'be tense oil'.... 

Going to do the exercises tonight while watching the Protecting Our Children programme I think... Couldn't print them off this this morning. The Stork is a new one on me, very Karate Kid. Wax on - Wax off, Ms Murphysan... That referrence only really works if you grew up in the 1980s I know... 

Looking forward to increased miles too now. Got a map of the Paris route on my desk divider, laminated and everything... Just need to get a speeded up video of the route now... Out of 10, with 1 being Fonze like cool and 10 being the geekest thing ever, how does that rate???

Oh curry and rice is done, in a biot folks..... image

• Ha ha! You'll like the stork, Craig. And if it's too easy, then you progress to the hop and stick. (which is kind of like a slow motion game of hop skotch. Grasshopper.... she know bestimage

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Got an urge to stand on a wave break at a beach on one leg... Nice Kung Fu referrance BTW!

That and do the tango (watching Zorro)...
  • Boduke are there any links to your strength regime! I am interested to do some strength work. What else apart from squats, lunges?