Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Craig

Comments

• Tennis ball good if thats what it is. Get some physio advice first though.  Got a bit of a tight hammy cants seem to shift it. Had this last time I trained over 30miles a week.

Go Farah on SB's foot!!! Is that instead of a garmin?

make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you.

Been down to Bakewell market to the "streets" (no relation to me) fruit and veg stall, bought a big bag of oranges, apples and bananas for afternoon snacks, find it hard to get through the afternoon without a snack. Just had sardines on toast yummy.

• SB: very good point as I have now realised the tightness is actually in my calf which I think is pulling other stuff...just went upstairs and realised then that it's my right calf that's making walking difficult.  Found some stretches on the RW site that should help as I know I don't stretch enough - that and yoga I should be sorted I think.  Deffo feels better then this morning now though image.

Oh speaking of food, for lunch I just cooked a batch of leek and parsnip soup (took leek and potato soup recipe and replaced potatoe with parsnips as I had some left over) and it's scrummy and very filling...think that'll keep me going a while this afternoon!  Only took about 20 mins to cook too - brilliant!

• mcs - yip - I already have a watch and chest strap so it was cheaper than buying a Garmin though I do like the idea of a self contained unit.  Farah's not as big as I thought he'd be and apparently you don't notice them after a bit so I'll give him a go for a year or so and see how I feel after that (by which time hopefully Garmins will be even smaller and less bulky so I may then be tempted!)

Nice snackage supplies. How're the hamstrings doing?

Louisa - could it be that you did too much balancey stuff when you were doing yoga and now you're lower legs/ankles are trying to tell you so .... image Really glad you're feeling less sore!

Leftover bean and pepper bake for me - sadly run out of cheese else I'd be treating myself to a melty topping too! Roll on shopping day!

• Evening all! Apologies for the long weekend absence - hectic one with family visiting, race on Sunday (I was spectating... my husband won image and my nephew in the kids' race).

Great run Craig - though a bit fast to be honest... was meant to be last 3 miles at MP, not the whole thing! Just goes to show how far you've come though, eh?! Will treat that as a 'quality long run' instead of an easy for future planning of schedule. But as Oscarr says, really good that it didn't wipe you out - encouraging signs! And totally sympathise on the getting lost thing... I quite frequently lose my bearings even in my own 'hood image

SB. Congrats on joining the pace brigade. You can look forward to years of obsessing over your splits now!image

Louisa - sorry to hear about your ankle/foot issue. In my experience, what 'presents' as PF can often be eased by freeing up the calves with stretching and also sports massage. If the muscles in the lower leg are tight (not just calves but muscles in the sides of the lower legs that stabilise... move big toe etc etc) they can pull on the PF and cause soreness under the arch or heel. I find a golf ball too harsh but have a kids' one which is a bit softer that I can use. Mobilising and strenghtening the feet really helped me when I had a problem here. Good luck with it..

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Hi guys. Hope everyone is Ok/getting better.

Got to be quick, looking after Thimas tonight and he be teething... Bugger.

Been practicing carb eating... Good lord... Managed 408g so far:

Double porridge, honey, orange juice.
    Two muffins
    Risotto and garlic bread.

Feeling quite bloted... Gonna leave that till Thursday now....

Ruth: got half at weekend. Been using High5 gels. Had two last weekend, been takin my own water on runs as I can't stand sports drinks (but maybe high juice with some salt though???) so thinking about using 3 for half. Going to eat breakfast at 5am and then kip again... Will be in a tent, so got to be easy with minimal cooking.

Thanks guys, in a bit he's getting upset. Have to get the Calpol out....
  • Evening Craig just popping in to see how your marathon adventure is going!? look to be bang on track by the look of the last few pages!

what build up races have you got pencilled in? pretty certain our paths will cross at one of them s we'll have to arrange a catch up post race?

as for the carbs.... you'll get used to it! a little trick ive picked up over the years is to top up your carb%  the day before any races with carb drinks, it'll leave you much less bloated plus you ensure you'll be fully hydrated on race day.

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Hi folks. I'm on the train again after a manic day yesterday. Got up late this morning, so doing the sheduled 6 tonight instead.

Ten: hoping your gettin better?

oscarr: fingers crossed on the flu front. And thanks for the positive vibes on the fitness and all that. Long term goals and all that. Need to take it steady.

SB: glad Farah's turned up. You will start obsessing about splits, trust me... But it's great, confirms that sense of connection with what your body is doing. BTW, been back to Nokes and there is some research to suggest that both elite and other runners perform best when focusing on their bodies while racing. Sounds oblivious and been said before, but I found it interesting. People were recorded while running and asked to vocalise their thoughts. Seems the positive, adaptive and responsive to their bodies ones did better than those who stuck to a ridged plan....

Louisa: hope your foots gettin better. Going to have a look for some DVDs too. Right, trains pulling in.... Won't submit yet wait till had 1st coffee of the day in the office....

OK coffee drunk and muffin eaten... Soup sounds nice. Maybe some yoga would be a good idea. Have to get over the whole 'me man' thing though... Maybe...

mcs: shame they aren't relations, discounted snacks: nice. Liking the quote, very good. But sardines on toast... Feel a bit poorly just thinking about it. Smoked oysters/mussels on the other hand... Yummy.

Sam: sorry *hanging head in shame*. But *puppy dog eyes* I really enjoyed it. Would have been a lot slower if I hadn't been stopping me Garmin when needed to check map, asking people where I am, being embarrassed about not doing club run... No more out and backs for me on long runs anymore.... Yea! Loops all the way. Congrats to your husband BTW! Nice.

DT: Mate, how's tricks? Saw your FB about the weekend, you happy with that one? I'm loving it mate. Can feel Paris getting closer by the day, really excited now. Only seven weeks to go. How you doing with Edinburgh training? I'm doing Rodin this weekend and Fleet next month. Signed up for endure24 with the club in July and in the GER. might think about Rutland Water... Maybe... Also not decided on summer races yet, im open to suggestions and be great to catch up. Thanks for the tip...
  • Nice 5 mile run this am first mile slow and then four quicker miles. Supposed to do six but as I have to run home I am going to get those done easily. Nice shower in the new facilities prior to work so all nice and fresh ladies no need to sniff!!image 

Any problem in splitting runs do you think Sam? As I commute this way sometimes I have to. SHould I run them a bit quicker as shorter sometimes or as set out in the schedule?? Using the RW sub four one.  Congrats to Mr M for his victory.

• Sounds like all going well again Bo. You are taking this very seriously! Up at 4.30 for a long slow run wow. Quick splits as well.

Kev

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    mcs: good question. What's the quote today?

Kevster: thanks mate.looking at it like a job. Keeps the motivation going....

BTW: PANCAKES!!!!
  • Sam - congrats to MM (Man Murphy) on the win at the weekend
  • Hi all. I've been wiped-out by flu. Even the wife was hit hard and she never normally catches more than a slight sniffle. It's almost a week now since my last run (sounds like a confessional), and it's getting me down. I think I'm on the mend, but it's taking soooo long. I think it's likely to be another two or three more days before I can run, unless something dramatic changes. I'm desperate to get going again.
  • Hi all!

Yay Mr Murphy! Zooooom

Hope all the poorlies are still on the mend - sending you all get wells!

I did a treadmill session today (as it's Tuesday and that's what I do) and played with Farah - he's meant to be pretty much configured straight from the box and yip he wasn't far out though I have tweaked him a little.  Now just have to remember to hit the split button and not just be fascinated by watching the little man running on the screen - though my watch gives me my max and average speed and total distance as standard.  Now where did I put my watch instructions - hmmmm - time travel required! HELP - I'm turning into a geek-a-saurus (and more worryingly loving every second and detail)

BoD - birthday and anniversary pancakes at that! Yipppeee and Ben's away so I get to eat them all HA HA HA (best evil laugh). Don't feel sorry for me though - I get a second birthday at the weekend Yayyy

• Yay for Pancake day! image  I have my ingredients already.

Oh well done to your hubby Sam!  And thanks for the advice.  I went ahead with my 5.75 mile session today at lunchtime and I did feel that weird foot pain come back a few times in my right foot and realised I only felt it when the path/track was angled downwards with lower bit toward the inside of my right foot, but when it was flat or tilted other way it was fine.  Calf's not quite so tight today after some stretching yesterday, so I'll keep up the stretching and start the ball under the foot thingy.

SB, I'm intrigued...I need to figure out what it is you're playing with...I love a geek a thon.

Get well soon all those with illnesses.  This weird weather to-ing and fro-ing from hot to cold and back again doesn't help.  It was glorious out there at lunch round Hyde Park!

• Hi Louisa

I have a polar s1 footpod that attaches to my shoe laces - it looks huge but in fact you don't notice it once you're running! It converts my hrm into a speed and distance toy! If you google it - you'll see what I mean!  He looks like a beetle hanging on to my foot!

Glad your leggie is feeling a bit better! I have yoga in my diary for Friday! There will be no excuses ...

p.s  oooh mcs you smell niiiiiice image

• Just got a place on the Coniston 14 yippeeee! Ideal timing as the RW schedule I am using says do a half marathon that weekend so perfect.  Just got to confess to my OH!! Its on a Saturday so should be okay to sneak off up the Lakes, might have to take them for a long weekend up the Lake District!!

Truth alone wounds..........

Always good to give some commendation first I reckon!!!

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    I'm back at the station and a'wating fo' the train...

SB: happy birthday to you, squashed bananas and Gels, happy birthday dear sleepy happy birthday to you... Sorry couldn't think of any high carb related stuff that rhymed with banana...

mcs: that sounds really hard mate. It's really hilly up there I hear... Get me the southen, shandy drinking, softie... image

Louisa: are you going savoury too??? I've hot ham and cheese. Then banana and honey.... Maybe some chocoloate sauce if this run goes well too.... Yummy yummy. I've given up wine till April so not too bad. Keep stretching your foot ou and hope it gets better for you.

Ten: rest mate. Getting well is the most important thing. You know how nasty flu can be, so be good. We be playing the long game.
  • (As posted on Rosie's thread too.) Just read a study that says marathon runners have a higher pain threshold AND higher pain tolerance than non-runners, adding up to a 'reduced experience of pain'. Ah, so that's why we do it, then...image

mcs wrote (see)

Nice 5 mile run this am first mile slow and then four quicker miles. Supposed to do six but as I have to run home I am going to get those done easily. Nice shower in the new facilities prior to work so all nice and fresh ladies no need to sniff!!image 

Any problem in splitting runs do you think Sam? As I commute this way sometimes I have to. SHould I run them a bit quicker as shorter sometimes or as set out in the schedule?? Using the RW sub four one.  Congrats to Mr M for his victory.

Hi mcs, I think it depends on the purpose of the session. If it's an easy or steady run, I don't think splitting it up is a problem (as long as it's not all the time). If it's a tempo run or progression run or something then I think you do lose out a bit by splitting it, so try not to do that if it's avoidable. Hope that helps.

• Yum - thank you BoD! Not a mixture I'll be adding to my plate tonight though LOL image
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Been out for today's session, eaten pancakes with cheese and a tiny bit of ham.  Rich stuff, I then to use low fat milk and go for more eggs. Had four of them and was full. image

Right, splits for the intervals.

Summary    54:59.4    6.25    8:48
    1    10:02.7    1.01    9:59
    2    2:00.0    0.29    6:54
    3    2:00.0    0.19    10:42
    4    2:00.0    0.27    7:17
    5    2:00.0    0.20    9:59
    6    2:00.0    0.30    6:40
    7    2:00.0    0.19    10:42
    8    2:00.0    0.29    6:57
    9    2:00.0    0.18    10:55
    10    2:00.0    0.30    6:35
    11    2:00.0    0.18    11:04
    12    2:00.0    0.30    6:45
    13    2:00.0    0.19    10:48
    14    2:00.0    0.30    6:43
    15    2:00.0    0.18    10:49
    16    2:00.0    0.29    7:01
    17    2:00.0    0.20    10:15
    18    2:00.0    0.29    6:51
    19    2:00.0    0.20    10:03
    20    2:00.0    0.29    6:48
    21    2:00.0    0.18    11:03
    22    4:56.8    0.44    11:14

OK, I'm doing these too fast... Feel good for them, but aware of injury potential. Finding it difficult to check my pace when my arms are pumping away like mad... (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it). image Promise to try harder to stay in the pace zones. image

Normal eating tomorrow and then into the carb sessions on Thursday, woohoo. Bring on the full fat Coke (other cola drinks are available). 

• Morning!

Craig have a favour to ask - would you mind just posting the session up each day as you tell us how it went - if  you have a copy to hand? I'm being lazy - it just saves me trying to search back through the thread to remind myself (Must be my new old age making me forget what you're meant to be doing).

It's a good excuse btw! image

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Do you mean something like: ' 6m of 1m jog plus... With 10x2 min fast and 2 min recovery then 1m jog' splits were: xxxxxxx

I'm happy with that. Not a problem at all. I forget that other people haven't got my week plan stuck on their wall, pc and in their phones....
  • Lol - that would be perfect - I know we're slacking eh!  If you could remind me also what pace you're aiming for in the fast bits then I will understand why you think you're doing them too fast ...

I am completely in love with my new toy - I've even got a new column in my spreadsheet now for average speed and I won't have to map my runs anymore to find approx distances.  JOY!!! image

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    How have I also managed to get to my age without realising the lushusnuss of sorren malt loaf????? Seriously!
  • I luuuurve malt loaf....a few years ago after a triathlon it was my saviour as post race snackage!  Oh - and I didn't have pancakes after all last night (boooo) - OH had already cooked a thai veggy curry when I got home and was too full after that....was nice though and mega healthy version image

My new love - reflexology...it ROCKS!  Every 2 weeks we have a lady come into our company offices so we can have a half hour massage or reflexology session as a reduced rate as part of our benefits and had a reflexology session this morning....soreness in my calf is way way reduced compared to before it!  Amazing!  Maybe I'll be ifne for my 9 miler tomorrow after all image

• Love is life. And if you miss love, you miss life.

Quiche for lunch home made by my OH last night yum. Malt loaf lovely but haven't had any for twenty years since being diagnosed with Coeliac though. Remember it well.

6 miles slow today at 10mm did three this morning to work and will be doing the rest on the way home. Thanks for answer Sam. Speedier sessions I will do as one as suggested. Though I did yesterdays intervals in two halves and ended up doing out of necessity(need to sleep at home!!) an extra two miles.image

• Hi Craig

yep they are rather quick... at least the distance covered in each one didn't decline, which would suggest you were fatiguing, so that's good. But you take more out of yourself than you need to by going quicker than pace guidelines suggested - which ain't ideal when you have a race at weekend! Still, Fri and Sat are easy days to recover.

• BoDuke wrote (see)
    Hi guys. Hope everyone is Ok/getting better. Got to be quick, looking after Thimas tonight and he be teething... Bugger. Been practicing carb eating... Good lord... Managed 408g so far: Double porridge, honey, orange juice. Two muffins Risotto and garlic bread. Feeling quite bloted... Gonna leave that till Thursday now.... Ruth: got half at weekend. Been using High5 gels. Had two last weekend, been takin my own water on runs as I can't stand sports drinks (but maybe high juice with some salt though???) so thinking about using 3 for half. Going to eat breakfast at 5am and then kip again... Will be in a tent, so got to be easy with minimal cooking. Thanks guys, in a bit he's getting upset. Have to get the Calpol out....

BoDuke-hope the tooth/s have appeared!

Some tips:

• try and not eat too many high fat foods such as garlic bread or white high fat sauces as fat will fill you up too much and make consuming the amount harder and as suggested above use full sugar soft drinks to increase carbs. Could you post your carb loading days or keep note of next one so I can have a wee look?
    • Not sure what time you start at this weekend? but suggest no more than 3 gels during race and  you don't to use high juice nor or you likley to need any extra salt during this race so gels and water as you feel you need.  High five isogel at 30-40minutes, 60-110minutes & 90-100 minutes  but carry an extra one in case you need it/drop one. Practise how you are going to carry the gels (belt /bum bag etc ) exactly the way you will in Paris.
    • Pre- race: carb load for one day before to see how you feel on this prior to a race situation.Don't be practicing carb loading too often! Breakfast: 5am Porridge and glass of fruit juice then when you get up again  or 2 hours before race starts perhaps a very ripe banana (one  starting with the brown spots!) or a jam sandwich with 1or 2 slices of bread and the banana if wish. The amount you can eat before a race does not need to be huge but must sit comfortably in your tummy you. Don't panic that you will run out of energy and start taking extra gels before start etc you can sip on a isotonic sports drink if you wish or just some water.

Hope all those injured or ill are on the mend!

• Hi Ruth & hi BoDuke, long time lurker,first time poster. Totally impressed & inspired by your efforts & dedication BoD.

Question for Ruth, BoD & anyone else- I'm training for VLM & did Wokingham Half on Sunday. Suffered from stomach/intestinal pain most of the way round which I put down to Spaghetti Bol the night before made with beef mince instead of the usual turkey. Managed to finish but was v slow in part due to the discomfort (& partly as I'm just slow). Any chance of suggesting some good pre-race meals/recipes for the night before please ? 14 miles planned for Sunday and would like to experiment on Saturday night. Thanks guys x
  • Hi everyone and Boduke,
    I'm also a first timer doing London this year and have a half marathon race on Sunday in Blackpool...if anyone has any top tips of how to approach this I'd be grateful. I'm tempted to go for a PB, I'm not fast so this would be 10 min miles but this is obviously a lot faster than my marathon pace which I'm guessing will end up being nearer 11 min miles. Do I go for it or do I practice marathon pace over a longer distance. Did 6.5 miles yesterday in 63 mins and felt ok but not completely sure I can sustain that over the full distance and don't want to get injured....
    Any tips
    Good luck Boduke and all the other first timers, it's a daunting challenge but so exciting!
    Susie