Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Craig

Comments

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Go ten, go ten!!! Pleased you got out.

On the 20: pros and cons for each, then decide. Personally, I've got done any training runs with anyone else, except training days. For me, having people around makes it easier, so save that for race day and the nice little 'boost'. But I'm weird....

Good luck at the dentist and Hoping your kids are OK.

I've got a day off work, but still awake... Today's six slow can wait till tonight, needed more kip and Nandos for lunch (healthy and spicy...)
  • Get back to bed, Bo, you need your rest.

Great to know you can run again, Ten.  Good luck with the kids.

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Thought this conversation was interesting:

Me: I'll go for my run when Thom has his nap.
    OH: how long will you be?
    Me: oh it's only 6 miles slow, so about an hour.

At what point did I start to use only and and hour together????

Gonna make flapjacks and bread today!
  • Spoken like a true athlete !!
  • Morning!

imageimageimages all round!

• Morning all

BoD - great sandwich run. enjoy your day off and you "mere" 6 miles laterimage Could you send soem flapjacks my way when you have made them please?

Ten - sorry to hear about your young people..I really can empathise. Hope things improve soon! well done on your run. will you be tempted to run too fast if you do 20 with the club?

Oscarr - LOL!

• While I think about it - I will say a temporary toodle-ooo.  To those I won't see on Sunday - hope your running / healing continues and  that you have a fab spring whatever you get up to.

We move on Monday/Tuesday next week and I doubt I'll be online over the weekend so, just in case BT manage to leave us stranded for 2 months like they did last time, I'll wish you all well and say a BIG THANKYOU for the entertainment and information over the last few months. (One day the forum may work on my phone but it just doesn't at the moment).

Go Craig!

smilies/smile_smiley.gif

• Ten all the best my youngest has just had the conjuctivitis and she lies on her back eyes shut technique and then opens eye and hey presto........when youngsters get ill it can go on for ages one thing after another........they do grow up and then you get different issues!!! My eldest daughter likes to play the piano late at night, she is a piano teacher but give us a break!!!

Nice comment Craig, I told my OH I wont be home till 7 tonight just running up to Buxton on a long one.......how far you going she says, just 15 tonight.......okay tea at 7 then she says. Thankfully she runs too so no problem. Most folk go to the pub after work not us athletes!!!

Calendar appropriate today. There are no conditions to which man cannot become accustomed!

And especially for Oscarr(senior Dad on here I suspect!)

Dad will never say

Top Ten Things You'll Never Hear a Dad Say

10. Well, how 'bout that?... I'm lost! Looks like we'll have to stop and ask for directions.

9. You know Pumpkin, now that you're thirteen, you'll be ready for unchaperoned car dates. Won't that be fun?

8. I noticed that all your friends have a certain "up yours" attitude ... I like that.

7. Here's a credit card and the keys to my new car -- GO CRAZY.

6. What do you mean you wanna play football? Figure skating not good enough for you, son?

5. Your Mother and I are going away for the weekend ... you might want to consider throwing a party.

4. Well, I don't know what's wrong with your car. Probably one of those doo-hickey thingies -- you know -- that makes it run or something. Just have it towed to a mechanic and pay whatever he asks.

3. No son of mine is going to live under this roof without an earring -- now quit your belly-aching, and let's go to the mall.

2. Whaddya wanna go and get a job for? I make plenty of money for you to spend.

1. Father's Day? aahh -- don't worry about that -- it's no big deal.

• Ha ha haaa...I'm with you there Craig...the other day my OH asked how far my next LSR was I said only 13 miles!  Never ever thought I'd hear myself say that!  Amazing how things progress - take this morning...I ran the 9 mile journey to work and saw it as a short mid week run, when actually 4 months ago that would have been longer than my LSRs!  amazing progress all I reckon.

Right - need food...

Good luck with the move SB!

• mcs - had to smile at your top 10 list and yes, i reckon i take the prize for senior Dad on this thread.  When my youngest was 11 and started secondary school i started taking him in the car (30 min journey) and vowed to always answer his questions - have been regretting it ever since cos mum forgot to tell me that he takes after her and never, never shuts up !!!
  • Why is the sky blue?

Where do babies come from?

Is the tooth fairy real?

Whats the difference between boys and girls?

Why is it bad to pee in the swimming baths?

Some of the top questions kids ask!!!!!!!!image

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    mcs - re number nine on your list: you won't hear me saying that when my daughter is 30, never mind 13.

SB - good luck with the move! Exciting time.

MWW - good point about running too fast. It is harder to slow right down when running with other people. A couple of years ago I ran in the Ashby 20 with a plan to start out slow.... until I found myself at the very back of the field. It was a psychological hurdle too many, so I increased my speed and destroyed my plan. I think I will go for a run over the local Downs. It will be fantastic if the weather is like this and I can do a loop back to my house to pick up water during the run.

Craig - it's funny how perception of distance changes during the training cycle.

My son is being referred to have the rest of his tooth removed under sedation. I can't quite believe that both of my children have had to have general anaesthetic in the space of days. It might be easier if they sedate me before they sedate him. Wake me up when it's over.
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    I've just ordered a High5 race pace to try out (there is an offer for MK marathon) and some more Zipvit gels. I should probably order a cowboy hat so that my gel belt looks dangerous on race day.
  • Thanks all!  Even Rascal got in a box this morning - think she's a bit worried about getting left behind - Bless!

Watch out Ten - you might get mistaken for a Chippendale! image

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    SB - If you mean an antique with bow legs, it wouldn't be the first time.
  • Hey SB, hope your move is minimally stressful and you find lots of great new routes around your new home. Hopefully we'll hear from you before the big day dawns (Paris, I mean) image

Hey Craig, you picked a great day to take off! Enjoy. And enjoy polishing off that piddling little 6 miles laterimage. Just look how far you've gone, huh?

As for next week.... Sunday sees your final long run reaching double figures! Then it's all about ticking over, recovery and carbo loading. Oh, and positive self talk and visualisation of course!

Week Fourteen w/c 26/3/12 (29M)
    Mon Rest
    Tue 6M of 1M jog, then 6 x 800m (half a mile) fast (7.20-7.40 pace), with 2.30 min jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Wed Rest
    Thu 7M steady plus 4 x accel strides
    Fri 5M slow
    Sat Rest
    Sun 2 hours easy (11ish)
  • Good 16mile long run today in the sunshine - progressive pace which made it tough after a hard week and legs still hurting a bit from the sports "deep" massage (i've even got bruises to prove it !!) - easy weekend now cos not got time to do long run hence did it today (that's 41 for the week)

mcs - wait till you end up debating A level maths and biology, engineering principles at uni and wedding venues with your 'kids', that's when the questions get a bit deeper !!  image  It's all great fun and i've enjoyed every stage of the development of my two boys, now 29 and 30.  It gets even more interesting when in-laws start appearing on the scene.....image

• Had one wedding this time last year oscarr.
    Just done a pb 13.1 in 1.49.38 plus half a mile warm up and a mile and a half stagger home. Went out in shorts and felt aces went for it naughty but great when idealised at ten miles I could make it. Go go go last three miles in under 22 mins so well chuffed just got to recover for next Saturday now.
    Great distance oscarr respect.
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Evening, right getting dinner ready and not had chance to cool flapjacks (but started a sourdough). Tonights run:

1 9:49.1 1.00 9:49
    2 10:18.8 1.00 10:19
    3 10:18.7 1.00 10:19
    4 10:05.3 1.00 10:05
    5 9:56.3 1.00 9:56
    6 9:50.3 1.00 9:50

No HRM on and didn't look at the Garmin for paces, just tried to go 'slow'. Same ave pace as my 20 at the weekend, so happy with that. BTW, this has TOTALLY replaced my Facebook addiction. Just a shame it's so painful to post pictures.

Gonna keep up to date on my phone over the weekend (going to look at houses tomorrow).

Time for pasta!!!!
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Just three miles today, half of which was some loosening up strides. Day off tomorrow, then long run on Sunday if all goes to plan.
  • mcs - a HM PB in training, that takes some doing and tells me when you get into race mode the adrenalin, tapering and fuelling etc will mean you will get well under that time so the future looks very good.

such a great feeling when you see your offspring getting married - one of life's treasured moments

Bo - look forward to seeing you on Sunday

• Feeling much stronger and fitter following the schedule is working,being strict until today has worked. Have a good weekend eating the contents of our fridge now!
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    mcs: thanks for the pointer on cottage cheese (earlier in the thread), mad for it now. Your going from strength to strength!

oscarr/mcs: thanks for the stories about the joys of watching children grow up, Thom is starting to form his first words and struggling to communicate. Great process, but good lord it's hard work!

Ten: hope your day off is ok and not kid crazy.

Can't wait to see people tomorrow and gonna be my forth ever race, but 3rd half... Anyone else think I'm getting into a pattern here? No racing: all about maintaining pace. Interesting...

Sam: your bit in RW this month alis brilliant!!! Got goosebumps and everything...
  • Hello all

Hope you have all had a good day?

Craig - good run yesterday, hope you have had a good rest today. Hope it goes well tomorrow.

Ten - how are the young people?

Oscarr - must be huge mix of emotions watching your children get married!

I did 14 miles this morning. Was really tired and had only planned 10! Some niggles now so going to take it easy for a couple of days!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    MWW - the kids are doing well, thanks. My daughter recoevered quickly from her Op, and my sons conjunctivitis has cleared up quickly. He will have to wait to have his tooth removed, but he's not in any pain.

However, I now know I was in the wrong queue when they handed out luck. I've contracted the conjunctivitis in both eyes, which has just started this afternoon. This is in spite of keeping separate towels, etc, for my son and cleaning hands at a rate that would shame Howard Hughes. At least I already have the eye drops to hand. Hopefully it won't prevent me from doing my long run tomorrow.

On the bright side, the weather was fantastic today and we went to the zoo. My son wanted to see the Red Panda and picked a great day for it. They are normally very hard to see but were active today, and easily seen because there are no leaves in the trees to provide cover.
  • All the best for recovery Ten,sounds like the zoo was good which one was it?

My eldest has just gone on holiday for their first anniversary up in the lakes they always pick great weather! Where did that year go?? Going to meet them after my race next Saturday at coniston for food! Enjoy them while young only seems like five mins since I took her to Chester zoo! My youngest has a temperature tonight so there is always something when you have a family for which I am very grateful for, 26 years of wedded bliss and family life........
    Craig have a good run tomorrow and stay well paced unlike naughty me!
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Cheers mcs. We go to Whipsnade pretty regularly and have annual membership of ZSL.

The reason we went today was because my daughter told me that mummy had said we will go. Needless to say, when I checked with the wife, she had been told that daddy had said we will go. Pretty astute for a four year old. My son was less convincing once before when he told me "mummy said I can play on the computer - but don't ask her".
  • Having daughters I find them very clever compared to mu brothers lads who are clever but not subtle and as skilled at getting what they want from mum and dad!
  • Hope your day went well again today Craig.  Mine was fun - managed to knock 3 minutes off my HM PB...very happy image

Hope everyone is enjoying the gorgeous Spring weather!  I did figure out a new formula today though:  Warm summy Spring day = more people in the park = more dogs off leads in the park = Lou tripping over dogs jumping out of nowhere = adrenaline rush = Lou's HM PB image.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    I heroically got up at 6:00am this morning to go out on my 20 mile run - only to realise it was in fact BST 7:00am. Good job it's a Sunday. I hadn't had time to prepare yesterday, so it was 8:15am before I found the gear I wanted and headed out of the door.

It had been ages since I wore my running belt for training, and I found that it no longer fit snugly and kept twisting around, so I had to relent and wear it the wrong way round with the drink bottles at the front. It wasn't uncomfortable and saved me from running back home to ditch it. I now know for sure I won't be wearing it in the marathon.

I ran the first 1.5 miles around flat streets before heading up into the Downs and onto trails across fields, farms and woodlands. Emerging out onto country roads at around 8 miles until I turned around at 10.5 miles. I hadn't realised how steep some of the inclines were when I was running predominantly downhill, but certainly realised after 12 miles when I hit them going back up!

Due to navigation I didn't really bother watching my pace and just ran to perceived exertion. I perceived it to be pretty tough on the way back image I was looking forward to recovery and injecting a bit of pace in the final 1.5 miles, but started to get cramp in one calf - probably caused by the shock of running on stable flat ground image So the speed injection never materialized.

I had planned to run easy at 11:00 pace miles, and finished in 3:38:59, so it was mission accomplished. The weather was glorious. Chilly at the start, particularly when running across the top of the hills, but always comfortable and never hot. I wore a runners cap to help avoid inflaming the conjunctivitis, which worked well. At worse, my eyes felt like they would running into a headwind, so it was barely noticeable during the run. It was just great to be running with nature (rabbits and pheasants mainly) and it never felt like I was running for as long as I had been. I took gels on each hour, and was glad of the third one during the inclines. Overall, very happy with the run and recovering well. Tired during the afternoon, but starting to feel more energetic again now.

I have two more weeks to get in another run like that (hopefully including some faster pace) before the taper.