Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Craig

Comments

• Ten - sounds like a brilliant "time on your feet" run and mission accomplished - with all your doubts recently today must have given you great confidence that you can get prepared for your race so well done.
  • Craig - a little birdie tells me you blitz it over the last 3 miles today !! please tell all.....

• Hey - have just checked in on yours and emma's thread and no mention of your times in today's race - hope you weren't both being disobedientimage and gave into the racing urge!

No, really hope it went well. What a day! Was at Hastings Half all day - cheering on Rye Runners and catching rather a lot of sun. Will check in tomorrow - exhausted, despite not actually running...

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Hello, sorry about not getting on here sooner. After the race, Sleepy, her OH, their friends, Emma and I spent some time chatting about stuff and watching SB's other half pick up half a silver mine in medals... Then walked back to the car to find that I had forgot to buy a parking ticket... Nice... 14 day to pay thing on the wind screen. That's a first. 

Then OH calls to tell me that Thomas was really poorly and she tried calling NHS direct, who said they would have a nurse call back in 18 hours!!! Turns out he has conjuctivitus too (I'm blaming you Ten) but it's spread into his immune system. OH would struggle to take more time off work, so I've been down the Doctor's with him today and off for the next couple of days. Gonna be suprised is I can get tomorrow's session in , but will try in the evening.  

So that's basically why I haven't been able to post times... 

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

WOOOW.... Green homescreen, what's all that about???? image

So times for Fleet 2:04:36:

1    10:02.3    1.00    10:02
    2    9:49.6    1.00    9:50
    3    10:48.5    1.00    10:48
    4    9:51.0    1.00    9:51
    5    9:56.3    1.00    9:56
    6    9:54.2    1.00    9:54
    7    9:36.1    1.00    9:36
    8    9:37.3    1.00    9:37
    9    9:47.3    1.00    9:47
    10    9:28.0    1.00    9:28
    11    8:30.7    1.00    8:31
    12    8:56.8    1.00    8:57
    13    7:37.5    1.00    7:37
    14    :40.6    0.12    5:40

Emma and I were running together for the first ten miles, and they were using cups for water, which is new for me. She taught me a tip with this to stop and walk/go slow while drinking and then turn the pace up again (it really works without affecting time or anything...) 

Really nice race, but I needed to go to the loo after about mile 6, which I found a struggle to deal with. Emma had an issue with the chip on her leg, which was biting in quite sharply so she adjusted that at about mile 3. Had a couple of people say they had seen us in the magazine, which was really nice and having a top with your name on is also really good, nice to interact with the crowd. I know Emma said that she was struggling, but you wouldn't have been able to tell from her running, very smooth and looked effortless. 

Was surprised by the hills to be honest, mile 12 was a struggle (not used to them) but yes the last mile was far too fast. On the other hand, I did do the last 1.1 miles with a MASSIVE smile on my face, barrelling down the hill... Really enjoyable. I'm really hoping for cool weather in Paris, gonna make all the difference. Right got to get Thom's lunch and hoping that itch in my eye isn't....

• Bo - another massive learning experience for you yesterday and try to remain philosophical about the problems - hope the family gets better soon - taper away matey...!!!
  • Congrats Craig,,,,,,you did well sticking to the right pace, better than me Friday. All the best to junior C.......have a good day at least the sun is shining.image Six miles intervals for me today.......nice.....bit of a sore ankle and shin......so slow steady week for me.
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Great running again Craig! Is it now time for your taper?

Sorry about the boy - I swear I've been washing my hands before using the computer. Hope he's well soon.
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys.

Oscarr: think I'm going to write up all of the stuff I've learned over the past year... One thing I do know is that racing seems to be about tactics and planning and the act of running comes with training...

Ten: don't worry, I've got a virus checker on here...

mcs: watch that mate, play it cool now.

He be napping at the moment and Daddy is going to follow him...
  • ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ how nice could do with one of those too warm here in my office!!!image
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    LOL! Too warm in my lounge too! He wants to go out, but very reluctant to let him...

Sorry ten: yep, tapering now. Mileage is dropping off and I'm looking forward to it to be honest. Be interesting to see how my body adapts to drop in training load and see what this does to my psychology. Question is how will my motivation hold up? Has done thus far.... Going to be interesting.

You started yet?
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Just got an e-mail from the Paris Marathon people '-20 days' no pressure then... But it was saying that they have pacers. Now this is totally new to me, so:

To use or not to use, that is the question
    Is it better to suffer the....

You get my meaning. Any thoughts? Never had the opportunity to use them before...

Think it's worth asking. London has them too, us first timers might be tempted and get it wrong if we've practiced different things in training (progressions etc).
  • Bo - i sometimes struggle with a long taper after an intensive period of training cos the temptation is to think at the start of the taper that all the work is now done but there's 3 weeks to go ???? If you think wrongly then there is a risk you use the time to do the odd extra session or put another speed one in thinking it may help on the day BUT IT WONT.  Read a great quote about the latter stages of a taper that you can "only train too much in this period".

For me, the best thought process is that its the taper period when you allow your body to absorb the fitness work and recover so that on race day you have maximum energy.  Sam makes a great point (which may seem to contradict this but in fact dosen't) that in the taper you keep some intensity (to keep your speed and stop going stale) but lower the volume (to get rest and recovery) which i think is a great way to approach it mentally. 

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    oscarr: so it's that balance between letting go and slacking off and/or having the idea of getting another session in... I'm trying to think of the drop off miles as being in the bank, building interest and I'm going to spend them all on race day, with gusto. Does that make sense? I know, I do a fine line in metaphor...
  • Bo - it makes a lot of sense, and good sense it is - the drop off is banking recovery to spend as effort on the day
  • All- so enjoyed reading through all posts except for the risk of signing up to a virus!

Bo Duke - well done this weekend.

During your taper may be wise to drop portions of foods for next few weeks and then carb load the three days before.

Here is Italian restaurant that thought might be good for evening meals in Paris; has usual  pasta dishes (they have Engish menu at restaurant but not on line and there  is on the Champs Elysées
    which thought might be nice )http://www.bistroromain.fr/_pdf/Carte_Bistro_Romain.pdf

Also thought it might be useful to know that a 100g of a french stick type bread (around  two and have inches!) has around 56g of carbs

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Craig - I've got another two weeks before my taper. Just as well, really, otherwise I wouldn't have enough to taper from!

Somebody just mentioned something in another thread that I had forgotten to consider in advance of race day..... Sunscreen. I've tried wearing a cap when it's hot and had to take it off after the first mile - I was baking! So ideally I want a sunscreen that I can apply to my head and forehead that won't sting my eyes when I sweat.

Reading around, the two most recommended seem to be P20 and Ultrasun. The former appears to stain clothes, so I'm considering Ultrasun Sport.

Has anybody got any recommendations?
  • Ten - one bad experience with suncream on forehead leading to stinging eyes on the run means i would never apply above the eye level and wear a nike running cap instead - got plenty of practice living in north africa for 8 years!  Certainly apply to neck and shoulders and upper arms if there is any sign of sun or a bright day - 4 hours plus is a long time in bright weather so important to be prepared.
  • Hey Craig

A good job with Fleet, well done. I think we can let you off that last mile, especially since you were smilingimage So that's it now - 3 weeks to go in which we'll be keeping some shorter sharper stuff but lowering volume as Oscarr says. How are you feeling now about the pacing strategy for Paris?

Ten - I swear by P20 or Parasol - both of them are silicone based liquidy formulas which you just put on once in the morning and you are protected all day, even after sweating. One of htem, I think it's Parasol, does a sport version. I have surfed in the California sun for hours and not got burned with this stuff.

• hello all

BoD - well done on the fab raceimage enjoy your taper now! Hope the little one recovers quickly..

Ten - I used P20 last year, tried it out in training first though!

7 miles for me this mroning, feeling really tired now...5-6 thursday then 20 at the weekend then taper!

• Surfing in the California sun......dreams, dreams...imageimage
  • Ten, I swear by my Nike running cap which I wear our running all summer long.
  • The only trouble with running caps according to my lovely OH is it makes me look like an old man she says. Mind you I had just done the VLM all be it not very quickly!!
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/485545/Gallery/Copy_copy_of_Marathon_Weekend_April_2010_053.jpg

Might not need to try the suntan cream for Edinburgh.
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Thomas and I have been into town, shopping... Was standing in Boots with a 20 month old on reigns looking at sun block and my phone saying out loud: was this the one she recommended... Old lady then looks at me like I've gone crazy... 

Bought some P20 and fainted when I saw the current price of suntan lotion, looked for Ultasun, but didn't have any, so P20 it is... Going to to try it out on this evening's run, when OH gets back from work.

Ruth: Wow, thank you! I'lll leave the bellinis alone till post race, but making my mouth water in anticipation. Great pointer about the french bread too.

Oscarr: Dreampt abut surfing for 30 seconds... Then back to Paris... Obsession is now a friend of mine.

mcs: Great picture fella, no issues with the hat there. Lousia; hoping Asics send me a new hat or I'm going for my trusty Addidas one (in white too, reflect that sun).

Sam: The pacing was great. I felt really strong at the end (as shows by the silly smile and last mile time).  Turning it up seems to work really well for me. I think the fact that my first half was only 2 miniutes slower but left me hobbling for a couple of days after and I'm feeling no after effects at all from Sunday now shows how effective the plan and trainging has been. Thank you!

Might catch a snooze while he kips. Fell asleep at about 8 last night.... On the sofa, watching boring TV)... image Back after this afternoon's interval session.

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    MWW: Thank you! Good luck with the taper
  • Well done at Fleet Craig and well paced.

I'm a bit worried as I've not had an email from th Paris marathon people and wonder if I should have? God is it only 20 days away?

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Knight Rider: I've PMed you mate. Thanks, the last mile was great as well! Yep, that's all...image

• ZZZZZZZZZZZZ (Craigs asleep) better turn down the radio!!!!!image

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Ok, tonight's run abandoned... Thomas has been screaming at me all afternoon. OH didn't come back from work direct as promised and now really tired and fed up...

Maybe if I just put my trainers on and go for a walk, that would make up for it????
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Sorry to see that Craig. Try heading out of the door in full kit and telling yourself it's just a walk. Then maybe try a jog "just for a mile" to see how you feel. Then either turn around, or speed up and complete a session.

I've had some of my best sessions on days when I really didn't feel like running at all.