Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Craig

Comments

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Craig - when you go to put the date in, ignore the pop-up calendar and type the date(s) in directly into the white boxes (in the same format as you can see the current date). Then put your other details the same (2 adults, one child, family room). The flexible rate is the one that can be cancelled, saver rates are cheaper but are lost if you cancel.

I've booked two nights (Sat and Sun) - I've noticed that Monday is an INSET day (teacher training) in our locality, so schools are closed on the Monday and there's no need to rush back.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Craig - I've used it as a "nice weekend away in the south of france..." so maybe sell it like that? Maybe mention that there's oysters served en route (km 36) and a fantastic party atmosphere... how could she not be convinced? image

I've started a thread for the marathon on here and will post an update when completed (and sober....)

• Craig - your splits are absolutely amazing for a first marathon, truly amazing - i can recognise Sam's 10/10/10k strategy which you seem to have used to the letter with great success - i am most impressed with those last 6 miles, which were your fastest by far, as this is the zone where a lot of folk fade or crash so to see you doing this part as your quickest is fantastic - i cannot get across how impressed i am with your performance in implementing your pre-determined strategy. 

All i can add is that you and the others have inspired me so much that my mental motivation for my marathon (6th May) has increased so much just reading your reports and splits - thank you.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    I've booked a 10k at the end of July too - the Luton AC 10k. Later in the year I'll aim for a couple of half-marathons.

PS - ditto what Oscarr said. Fabulous pacing, and it has strengthened my resolve to follow a similar strategy. I'm not sure I'll be up to the sprint finish though image

• Hey Craig - ((())) sorry to hear you're a wee bit down - it's just fatigue - you've just hammered yourself!  Keep drinking lots (a nice cup of tea, or six always helps soothe me).  How about starting a spreadsheet of all the races you fancy over the next few years?  You don't have to commit to anything just need to keep your brain busy while your body recovers...

So Brighton eh?  Have to admit I was nearly tempted myself but I have my outline in place for next year. 

How are your feet feeling?  

Me neither Ten - bet he was smiling too! 

• Great report Craig, loived reading it especially as it was your first marathon. What can I say except you are a truely top bloke Craig. I really enjoyed hanging out in Paris with you and seeing Notre Dame & the Eiffel tower. I still can't get your "late 1980's raver outfit" out my head from the start

smilies/smile_smiley.gif

top banana mate! What a journey you've had, quite literally. You've shown great strength in character overcoming the cigarettes, which i know myself is a real tough cookie to crack, and to be able to run the time you did was awesome. I think you gave Sam a headache with your ever increasing speed. Sub 4 has got to be a very realistic and achievable target for you. Brighton is a great course and you'll love it. The first few miles after you come out of the centre have afew hills (but not that bad!) and then pretty much from mile 11 it's downhill or pancake flat.

I'm sure we'll meet up again soon!

Colin

• What Oscarr said, and Craig I had no idea you had cracked the fags too! I took up running when I stopped smoking, it represented a lot.
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Did you get your accommodation sorted Craig? Seems to be quite a few people booking early on the Brighton thread.

Last night was a three mile HMP run, sandwiched between a mile warmup/cooldown. Tonight is four miles easy, and this weekend will be eight miles steady (using the condensed marathon pacing strategy). So far so good, the taper doesn't seem too bad at all.

They've started talking about the MK marathon on local radio, which is adding to the excitement image
  • Hello everyone!
    MWW and all you other VLMers, hope your'e all set! Will be watching from close to the first mile marker (my mum's front drive!). Excited for you.image I've just written a piece on marathon hydration on The Guardian online (published yesterday), if anyone's interested. The message is very much 'drink to thirst' and our invaluable Ruth McKean is quioted in itimage

Craig, yep it's a mental abyss post-marathon - I often try to book a holiday or weekend away close afterwards to give me something else to focus on. Sounds like you've got lots of running plans in the pipeline though.

Oscarr, so pleased to hear that Craig's report has sent you up a gear mentally in the preparation stakes. You're going to have a blast out there - what is it, 2 weeks to go? I'll be iN Greece by then so not sure I'll be able to check in to see how yo got on till I get backimage

• Sam Always handy to have a place near the start!

Will go read the hydration article.

I am now sitting on a TriggrePoint Ball I got at Expo, watching Lavendar Hill Mob, already cleaned up house and had a go on bike, it's like early labour having a day off right now!

• Sam - good to hear from you and thanks for the thoughts - yes, 2 weeks on Sunday is my race - so impressed with the reports - have changed my race pace strategy to mirror your approach with Craig in particular - asked myself what i really wanted out of the race and although i feel capable of well under 4hrs the fact that i have not achieved this yet means that what i "really,really" want 3:59:59 and if i get that then anything faster can come another time - so, will set out at 9:07 pace for first 10 (this is slower than any of my previous races which have all been in between 8:30 and 8:50 starts) - review after 10 when hopefully up it a bit then see what i have left at 20 - i have faded very badly in the last 6 miles in some of my races but really believe that this time it will not happen due to better (smarter) training, race pace strategy and much better in-race fuelling

Starting to get really aggressive in my mind with the last 10K already which is a good sign !!!!

Enjoy your holiday.

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Ten: Job done. Been to a local activity centre with my little person. Booked Friday/Sat coming back Sunday evening, hopefully. I think you must be quite local to my way then mate, you in Luton/Beds? Glad the taper is going well.

Emmy_Bug: She's totally not buying it, at all. Oh well, maybe next year just for giggles...

oscarr: I'm really pleased that it was useful. The plan totally works for me. Great to have something left in the tank for the end. Noticed the effect because of the amount of people I was overtaking. Went past three 4:15 pacemakers, which was difficult as I got confused and then remembered that they must have started a long time before me. I didn't really know that I was going sub 4:10 till the last 3/4 miles, but knew I had to be well under 4:15. I'm also going to be willing you over the line under 4:00, you totally deserve it. 

Sleepy: Totally been drinking last night (but not tea...) Getting over the thing a bit now. Have goal for the next 12 months and got a couple of short races in July. Think I'm gonna work on my speed over the summer and then try to smash my half marathon time in October. Feet are OK now and seem to have nearly physically recovered. Might got for a jog around the block tomorrow and start back next week building up the base mileage again. 

reikirabbit: Yea, I stopped smoking about 10 days before the bootcamp. Thought that it might not look very good rocking up stinking of fags. Funny, but I used to go out for 10 milers, come back and smoke 3/4 fags in the garden while having a pint of milk... Shocking. Some times dream about it... image

Colin: Thanks mate image Great weekend, pleasure to share it with you and Mrs KR. I'm sure we will and it will make me think: 'I wonna be able to run like you'... 

Sam: I read that last night. Very good... Enjoy Greece and I'm really jelous of your spot at VLM... Oh well, I'm going to be glued in front of the TV with Thom watching it going 'Daddy ran one of those last week'. Oh, I sent him to nursary in the Paris 2012 tee-shirt I got at the Expo... Comments were made, nice. 

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    oscarr: aggressive? I was (interally) shouting at the course telling it it wasn't going to beat me... image
  • Bo - like that, plus your "ave-it" yell at the end !!!
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Yep - Beds is right.

I take it you booked the Travelodge? Will be great for a pre-race meetup. I've booked Saturday and Sunday nights.... though I'm tempted to add Friday and make an even longer weekend (end of the Easter holidays). Also, I think the Expo opens on the Friday for collecting numbers. Hmmm...

Scaredy-cat that I am, I still haven't told the missus - though she seemed to quite like the idea of a weekend in Brighton next year. I said that I thought there might be a race one weekend. I'm such a coward - this is probably why they put me in the Yellow pen.

I ran four miles in 36:32 while keeping my heart rate just below 70%. I'm happy with that for a recovery pace run and I feel like I'm about ready for next week - with some rest. Starting to worry about bugs and accidental knocks and stuff image

Saturday morning may well be dry early on - so I'm hoping to try out my revised garmin pace settings. Sunday will be feet-up watching you-know-what.

• Hello all

BoD - Thank you so much for allowing me to be part of your gang! I am going for Brighton next year..and maybe one or two others if I am fit enough!

If anyone happens to be watching VLM on Sunday, I am number 8967, wearing a childline / NSPCC vest and probably capris, maybe a light coloured cap if raining! This is me:

/members/images/195010/Gallery/VLM_2012_web_size_1.jpg

Sam...hope to see you!

I'll pop in before sunday if I get a chance, off to London tomorrow!

Thank you all for advice, lots of laughs and good wishes.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    I've just booked the Friday night too image I can always cancel if I regret it later.

Good luck for Sunday MWW!!!!!! and see you next year!
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Ten: yep, totally followed your lead on that one, Brighton travelodge it is. Very much up for meeting up before. Have a little pasta party. Re: expo that's why I went for Friday. Get it over and done with and go from there. Don't worry about illnesses etc, nothing you can do about them. Like Emma noted, the setting allow for 26 mini races.

MWW: brilliant!!! Brighton too. Going to be a nice little gang of us going. How cool? I'm really pleased you joined in, been great to get to know you and have you on here making the process nice. It could have been me talking to myself.... Which would not have been cool. Cool picture *waves to MWW* will be looking out for you. Just in case you don't get back on: good luck, you will be amazing!!!
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Ten: brilliant!!!!
  • MWW - good luck Sunday, really hope you realise your dream day - like the Childline vest.
  • Mww all the best for Sunday jealous in a good way of vlmers have a great day out.
  • MWW - Go Girl - will be looking out for you on the tele image

Glad you're feeling better Bo!

Just back in from training with my new lot - they seem really nice so am a happy bunny.  An hour's run at HMP or thereabouts - so much easier with other people around!

• Thank you all, don't want to highjack BoD's threadimage

BoD (and everyone else doing Brighton) - hope to meet you for real in Brighton!

Not the best start for me, up since 01.30, my daughter had a really bad night, so may have to delay departure a bit.

• Right, bit of gardening then 6 mile MP run by the river - some of us are still marathon training you know !!imageimageimage
  • Agreed Oscarr 19 for me this weekend, ankle bit sore at the moment, I broke it 2008 and it doesn''t like it damp and cold and too much running this week and next are my danger weeks, 43 miles each eeekkk. Might need to see how I go on Sunday and back off a touch if the ankle says no........

All the best for the Londoners lucky peeeps.image

• Excitteeeeedd...and very nervous.  Just got home from the expo and am now registered for Sunday...eek!  Good luck MWW and others doing VLM too on Sunday.  I'll be blue number 1824, with red charity bib over top of my white t-shirt (forgot Princes Trust were sending that) and white running cap.  Right - time to rest image.

Hope your rest is going well Craig?  Or did you get out for a run today like I think you mentioned you might?

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    You guys are getting me jealous of the fact you still have marathons to do and I'm resting. Didn't get out today for my run, but will tomorrow morning. Can't wait, feeling the need to get back into the swing of things.

Louisa/MWW/reikirabbit: things are going to be great on Sunday. Amazing event that is there to be enjoyed and relished. Will be rooting for you on the comfort of the sofa, child on lap telling him that each and everyone of you is a hero!!!

Sleepy: thinking about a change of club (maybe) I struggle to get to club nights with them. But there is on who have different nights, have access to a track and are also on the cycle from the train station home... Is this wrong???

Oscarr: I know, and I'm jealous image... How did the 6 go???

mcs: take it easy with the ankle! don't want you blowing up mate.
  • Thanks BoD - I am now 2nd claim to my original and local club, work shifts, never make club nights as I'm either working or about to be or shattered.

I'm still a loyal member though!
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    I've just seen the RW video of Paris. Very inspirational - and great to see everybody's beaming smiles at the end!

Not quite so sure about the gratuitous nipple shot though image