Options

Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Craig

Comments

• Options

Ten - you could run there instead ???

Louisa - great result, well done, enjoy your recovery

• Options

reikrabbit - know what you mean about the crowds in the last half of the race...I'd managed to rein my pace in during the first half of the race rather than go off too fast like I've been known to so as not to burst towards the end and so by half way I still felt pretty good and was keeping up with my target pace, and then that's where other runners were starting to walk...I totally ran into the back of one person when he just stopped suddenly right in front of me - quite comical now I look back image.  Then spent the next 5 miles dodging people as they slowed to walk suddenly.  Kept me alert for sure.  The hours flew by though enjoying the atmosphere - flew by much faster than they did in training!

Ten - ha ha actually the marathon didn't come up in conversation at all during the pitch, but lots of chat with my colleagues about it on the train to the meeting once they saw me hobbling through Paddington at 8 this morning image.  And oh no about your car!!! typical!

SB: the loo queues were impressive, but more impressive was how quickly people were in and out of them once the guy on the tanoy announced it was just 10 minutes til the start of the race image.  What was worse were the crowds at the meet and greet - I heard one runner get quite livid when a spectator walked over his feet!  It was madness, but then I guess to be expected with an event that size.  Great day though..still smiling.

• Options
    Hi Louisa,
    Well done, how you feeling?
    Our times are pretty similar - I got 5 hours 19mins.
    Lots went wrong, if you look at my splits is rather like an example of how not to do it.
    Started with 11 min mile pacer, I thought I'd manage ok with this, my half in feb I got 2 hrs 9 and all my long runs have averaged this pace but think the heat got to me (I am quite sun burnt!)
    Stopped for loo (7 min wait) at mile 10 and by mile 14 I was struggling. My foot and my knee started to really hurt by mile 16 and I was beginning to lose it mentally, began to doubt I could finish, adopted a run walk strategy to get me to the end - crowds were amazing.
    I felt very emotional when I finished and the guy who gave me my medal also gave me a huge hug, despite me being a sweaty mess with dried salt all over my face and neck.....bless him!!
    Really hoped for under 4.45 but guess maybe not realistic, pretty happy now just to have finished.
    Very very sad to hear the news of that poor lady who collapsed and died at about mile 25, only 30, absolutely tragic and puts my aches and pains in perspective.
    Often lurked on here, Boduke, enjoyed your journey, and your achIevement appears even more awesome now having experienced the marathon! image
  • Options

I agree with you Susiebuzz...Craig is a Superstar!!!

Oh, and yes I have a little sun burn round my neck...forgot my cap would only protect my head and face image.

I onl just heard about that lady...shocking

• Options
    Well done ladies a great achievement.........time for me to get up and get ready to run few more weeks of heavy miles to do. Have you run this week Craig?
  • Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Had some issues in finding the time to reply... First day back at work. But well done all!!! Have been milking the video for all it's worth though image

RR: Not rolling out of bed, a better time than it might have been and you could deal with stairs!!! Nice.  Thanks for the not about the Mall.  image from me for that.

Louisa: How emotional and brilliant.  You are a marathon runner!!! Well done! I found people randomly stopping to be an issue after the third one, started to pay attention then in an attempt not to be anti-social.  Very professional in the pitch, I would have been: 'look, I ran a bloody marathon yesterday, just buy it, please, I need to go sit down somewhere and eat stupid amounts of food'.

Susie: Good work on hanging in there and getting over the line! You deserved that hug, bet he was nearly as emotional as you.

Ten: bummer on the car mate. I know that pain...

mcs: Got out for 4 miles v easy this morning and had 3 vvvvv slowly last Friday.  Will slowly build up the miles and back into the game.  Bring on the summer!!!

imageimageimageimageimage You folks are amazing and total heros!!!!!!! Well done.

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Oscarr - if I ran there and back, that would be a marathon. Maybe one day I'll be fit enough to do that on top of the marathon itself image How cool would that be?

In the meantime regarding the car, I've moved past denial, anger and depression. If I can't bargain the cost down, which is unlikely, then I'll just have to accept the situation, and rob a bank or something :/
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Oscarr - you asked how soon it was likely that Brighton would sell out - I just copied this from the Brighton thread:

"Entries for next April's race are going very fast; the 2000 discounted early bird entries sold within one hour on launch day (Tuesday 17th April) and since then almost half of the additional public places available have been sold.
    If you have not entered already there are still several thousand public entries available priced at £55 (£53 for club runners) but the price will increase to £65 (£63 for club runners) once they are filled, or at 5pm on Friday 18th May, whichever comes sooner. However at the rate they are going we expect to fill long before the 18th of May.
    A final 2,000 public entries will be available at the higher price until all are sold. However all entries, including deferrals from 2012 to 2013 will close at 5pm on Friday 15th June even if we have not hit our target of 13,000 public places."

I didn't realise that I must have booked within an hour of entries opening! I don't hold out very well against temptation image

• Options

Ten - thanks, i better start thinking seriously about next years plans - hard to do at moment cos i'm so focussed on getting ready for a week on Sunday

You must be getting excited as this is your week !!!  can't wait for next week to arrive now.

• Options

32 days for me yet Oscarr.......all the best to you and Ten for the impending events.

Chucking down here and got to do seven tonight on the way home in the rain, hope it eases abit!!!

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Thanks mcs.

You're not wrong Oscarr! I can't concentrate on anything at the moment and hope I can catch up on work quickly after the marathon!!

It's a bit late in the day, but I tried wearing an ultra-light running jacket today. They are still predicting rain and wind for Sunday, so I need a contingency plan! I hope I don't have to wear it, because it does raise the temperature and make me sweat more. Ideally, I'd like to have to wear no more than a base layer and short-sleeved running shirt. I'm dreading the weather being anything like today image

Yet.... I'm still looking forward to it!! I must be nuts.

After getting drenched today, I've got my car back - repaired. I was happy losing weight for the marathon, but I'm not so chuffed at being over seven hundred pounds lighter in a single day!

Anyhoo - just one quick two-miler between me and the marathon image

My target time remains 4:20:00 - 4:29:59, though I'm becoming increasingly nervous about it. I'm most worried about water ingress into my garmin scuppering my pacing. And hypothermia. And forgetting to attach the timing chip. And chafing. And hydration. And... you get the picture.
  • Options

Ten - as a suggestion for you re your pacing during the run - 10 minute miling gives you 4:22 finish so as your target is 4:20 to 4:29 that fits - there will be mile markers so you can easily work out how you are doing at each mile marker just knowing the time - it also takes care of the fact that garmins under measure and you will find that at the end it reads well over 26.2 run (some folk report by as much as up to 26.7) which means you need to run a little quicker pace than garmin says to keep on target so you do need to check at key intervals anyway like 10 and 20 mile and halfway.

Hope this makes sense.

Managing to keep the nervous excitement in check but only just !!!!

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Makes good sense Oscarr. I'm aiming to start at 10:15 pace, which is still pretty easy to calculate (until oxygen deficit turns my brain to mush). In fact, it might not be a bad idea to set out following the 4:30 pacer - if I can find him/her. That would keep me on par for progressive pacing.

I'm a bit intrigued by the MK marathon notes saying that mile markers will be on the "nearest lampost" to the actual mile mark. I don't know how far apart the lamp posts are, but that doesn't sound like it will help pacing!
  • Options
    Lampost errors will only apply in the early miles as any difference will be minor overall after a few miles, unless MK has a wierd lighting system ???????????????
  • Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    They should have the markers on concrete cows...
  • Options

Craig> Thanks for responding to my message. I really liked the video - that what drew me to your blog. You seem like a really genuine guy, and show that with some determination and a will to run a marathon anyone can do it.  That's my plan too!

To everyone else who has run a marathon - congratulations. Non-marathon runners look up to you.

I'm looking forward to the blog continuing.
    FYI - I've just started my Asics running plan - to run a 4hr 1st marathon, I'll try to follow that as best I can and keep my fingers crossed. I'm in the jogging phase - before it gets tough image

• Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Thanks Anthony!

I'm reading a book about the London Marahon at the moment and Chris Brasher described the event (and big ones like it) as the Suburban Everest. Really like that description. Takes an event that is (at any speed) hard, requires effort and determination and makes it accessible to all... Brilliant.

When is your first again? Good luck, I'm still amazed that I did it. Only been for a couple of runs since finishing and getting itchy feet. Gonna do 4 or so tomorrow and then onto a 10k plan for the summer, 1/2s for September and then onto Brighton!!

Can't wait to see MK at the weekend, with some IKEA action...
  • Options
    Is there an Ikea in MK?
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Good point Oscarr. I suppose this happens more often than I've realised, so it's probably no big deal.

Time to go and dream about coping with atrocious weather image
  • Options
    BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    KR: looks like it. But never a good day in my book. Oh well, could be worse...
  • Options

My 1st Marathon - in October - doing Chester - near my parents, and a flatish mostly country course with an entry of 5000 runners.
    Have entered 1 half marathon (Windsor) as a test of my progress - end of July. 

I like the urban everest anology! Easier to get to than an Everest or Mt Kilimanjaro - but probably a similar amount of effort/planning and training for a 1st timer.
    I've just subscribed to runners world too - will keep myself tuned in to running all summer long and hopefully achieve my goals image

• Options

Ten - just received the final email from MK race director (entered this then decided to do Mar of North instead) so its time for me to wish you all the very best for Sunday - you've done the hard work so just get the pacing and fuelling right and you'll storm it !!!!!  Whatever happens and whatever the weather remember that you've already done the hard bit of 16 weeks training - good luck Ten and i can't wait for the race report.

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    AC8 - welcome to Craig's thread - as its your first one, take inspiration from Craig who did great - good luck with it all, you'll have a great journey
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Thanks Oscarr - though I'd prefer you chose a different phrase to "storm" it image

I've actually managed to do some work today image

• Options
    Your puns are rubbing off on me ..!!!
  • Options
    Ten - GOOD LUCK for MK! It is difficult to focus on anything else pre-marathon! Have fun and enjoy the dayimage
  • Options

I want to move abroad sick of this rain!!!!image

All the best to MKers on Sunday.......enjoy if thats the right word, you've done the training, go for it!!!

• Options

Ten  - as you start to go through (for the hundreth time) your mental checklist of things to get ready for sunday i thought i would share with you a bit of seventies radio humour;

"Met a man yesterday who had a library in the bottom of his trousers - that's a turn up for the books !!!!"

Relax and enjoy (the run that is)