Options

New Year...New runner

Comments

• Options
    Happy Birthday Roy and K - Having a glass of vino to celebrate.

Skiing harder than I thought - Got another session on Monday

Welcome Audrey - The support on here is soo good - I always think of everyone on here when I am out running.

Anyway take care all
  • Options

Quick update - just signed myself up for a 5k running the Race for Life in Cambridge on 1st July.  Looking forward to it image

Auds

• Options

Gem, glad you're enjoying the skiing, but it is hard going, but as the saying goes "work hard, play hard" image

Auds - well done for signing up for the 5k, you'll do great.  It really does help to keep a diary so you can see your progress.  Not only can it boost you before a run, but when you hit down days it can re-energise you to image Or mine does for me.

You'll also find that Gem is right about the encouragement on here, I too find myself thinking of these guys when out, especially when my body is crying no more, but my head says only 5 more minutes, the thought of sharing my success gets me throughimage

Happy running (and skiing) everyone image

• Options

HAPPY BIRTHDAY  - Roy and Kirstin

Maamalade - good  runs - keep it up - enjoy run in Manchester

I went for a swim tonight - 50mins without any stops = no great pace but kept going

keep up the good work all - will keep you informed on how I get on

• Options
    Thanks for birthday wishes everyone, had a couple of wines myself tonight image everyone seems to b doing so well and we'r a whole month in image Roy I think u deserve a few days off so I order u to chillax. Not been to sweatshop yet, hopefully Monday image thanks again for voucher image x
  • Options

Hey people, thanks for the birthday wishes image.  Feel well old now hehe!

How is everyone?  Kirstin did you get everything you asked for?

I'm having a day or two off with achilles and going to run friday morning with my new trainers hehe image.

How is everybody progressing?

• Options
    Just booked myself on the Southport Age uk 10k on March 4th.  No excuse now so got to get off my backside and train (providing heel is ok).  image.  If anybody wants to join me then go for it!
  • Options

hey,

Yup, spoiled for choice with the new running gear image

YAAAAAY someone else has booked up a race, GO YOU!!! Weird cause i booked the Glasgow 10k on May 13th and Glasgow Half-Marathon Sept 3rd image excited, motivation is the key, think bookin a race is way forward, something to physically work towards image well done audrey for bookin your 5k image

hows the ankle Ange? Maamy, still enjoying the training?

• Options

You are all doing great - keep it up

After swim on Wed ended up late to bed and not much sleep as up for 7am start at work.

Had day of rest yesterday - then giving tonight a miss a calf a bit tight - will certainly be doing some work Fri/weekend so will keep you up to date with my slow progress

• Options

Hi all

Mum, you are doing really well, hope the calf settles down for you. Remember we said slow and steady image

I did 35mins on the stepper yesterday, was aiming for 40 but achilles twinged so stopped.  Been out for a really slow gentle run tonight, 3.48k in 25mins ish so really slow, but achilles felt good. Rest tomorrow for me before a long run on Saturday.

As for races, I'm looking to sign up to running the Great Manchester 10k in May for the RNLI, but that is all if my car stops taking all my money so I can pay the fee image if I do I'll be out with the begging bowl as have to raise £150 sponsorship.

I did look at the Southport one, but thought bit soon image

Hope everyone is getting on well x

• Options
    Hi all, and welcome Audrey! image Glad you hadn't run off a cliff or anything K, and were in fact just out having a life lol image

I've had a very busy week and not much time to myself, but after running on Sat and Sun I thought it was probably ok to leave my next run to Thursday. So I did! It was absolutely freezing, but I ran 8kish in 52 mins (2 mins walking in the middle, as my plan!). I can't believe I did it!

I'm reaching then end of my plan now though, this week coming is my sixth and final week. I don't know whether to stick with the last week and repeat it for a while, or move on to a bridge to 10k? Any advice from anyone?
  • Options

Hi Rachel

I'd say do what feels best for you. When I run I haven't followed any plans, I just do what my body feels like, last night for example, I planned 5k, but tummy was bit iffy and hadn't taken inhaler so slowed it right down and cut it short. Still felt good because I'd gone out. I'm slowly building up to 10k by taking what I can run fairly comfortably in one hit, then when I feel up to it adding a k or 2 on and see how it goes. If I feel like its a real struggle then I'll repeat or cut back a bit then build right up again. Hope that helps image

Good running everyone, I'm on rest before I push for either 8.5k or 60mins running, whichever comes first is my stop point so please don't be icy out image

• Options
    Thanks for reply! image The thing I've found is that over the past few weeks I've often felt like I should stop, breathless, a twinge etc, only to continue because my phone is telling me to, and to feel fine within a couple of mins. So I think if I just listened to my body I'd never improve at all. I'm a lazy cow at heart! image
  • Options

Sounds like you'd be better following a plan then, I do have to be strict with myself and force myself to keep going, but like you say soon feel better. Guess years of hearing the military fitness guys shouting at me I just have their voices stuck in my head image

• Options

Hey Ladies image

How are we all?  Ive had a busy week to this week to but got out today and did 5 miles.  Must admit i've struggled on my last 2 runs, got half way and felt like I had no energy and felt really hungry/ thirsty.  Is this me just not eating enough/ drinking enough or am I run down or something?  Apart from that my achilles felt ok, wore a tubigrip on ankle to make sure and it worked a treat.  New trainers feel great, going to run the park run again in the morning but going to do that in my old trainers as they get very muddy.

Kirstin you all partied out yet? hehe image

Ange hows the garmin going?  I'm seriously tempted to buy one now with bday money image.  Now that you've used it quite a few times let me know what you think.  Also well done on running you are doing really well image.

• Options
    I've ordered one Ange, was on sale so couldn't resist!!  I'd use my Nike+ but because my trainers aren't nike the chip won't go in the shoe image
  • Options

Hey Sounds like you are getting on well Roy, which Garmin did you go for in the end?

I can honestly say that you won't look back, I totally love mine image

Which park run you doing today, penny flash again?

I'm just getting geared up for my long run so if I'm not back by about 11, call it 12 by the time I sort myself out and log back on then I've taken a K break image

As for hungry/thirst I don't know, guess could be being dehydrated etc but not something I've come across sorry image

Good luck with those out running this weekend, have a good one image

• Options

I'm back, and in one piece. Managed 8.56k in 55:51 without stopping. Really please with it as it felt like a slow run, but when I've looked at my k by k splits they are some of the fastest that I've ever done!!!

Roy - how is todays park run??? Another PB????

Anyone else made it out in this lovely refreshing weather??? image

• Options

Ange well in!!!  You see your going well further and quicker alot quicker than you thought.  I bought the forerunner 110 so think it's the same as yours.

I ran the penny flash one again today but to be honest i've not had a great week not felt brilliant and heavy legged.  Not sure on the time but i think its about spot on the same as last week.  My gastric reflux came back yesterday with a vengence so not feeling so good.  But i got out and did it so that counts for something!!

Look at the snow image, I felt the cold this morning image

• Options

Roy - you have got the same Garmin as me - you really will love it, especially when you see all the info you get when you download it image Did I mention that I still love mine imageimageimage You can set it to run at a pace, or show you your pace so you can aim for it. I try not to be a 'slave' to it, set it going then press stop when done, don't look at it while out image

Sure you're time will have been great, looking back at my splits I was c.25min to the 5k point today x

Know one thing, I agree that it was cold today!

• Options
    You sure you don't wanna book that 10k in March imageimage
  • Options

You sound like you are doing great and training progress to races scheduled.  Keep it up (without overdoing things)

After couple days doing nothing - few things like dental appt and tender calf kept me from getting out.

Today have been for a walk - in the cold and snowing a little (some of ground icy - hence sticking to walk) - 2.5km in 30miin.  Not the longest or fastest - but at least out doing something

Will work to improve = and will keep you posted

• Options
    Well done mum, like you say at least getting out image xxx
  • Options
    Was looking forward to getting out running today but its just to icy on roads and.paths to risk it image

Kirstin have u gone again image
  • Options

Roy - know what you mean about the weather, and that K has gone all quiet again, she must still be partying image

Since the weather wasn't great today I've been on the stepper for 45 mins this morning, now all awaits me is the housework image Oh well, must be done. Then off to Carls folks for dinner, yum yum image

• Options

Well been out again for a walk (paths still white and slushy in the main) - so went for 5.5km walk in 58min (bus link to w/ton then down the hill home)

Nice and clear out but chilly and slippy in places so steady pace

Only 8km walking + swim this week so not the biggest total - but still doing something so pleased with myself on that front. 

Keep up the good work all - will let you know how I get on next week

• Options
    Hey ma'amy, you're doing brilliant, bet you're feeling good for all your hard work image So very proud of you, know that the weather doesn't help, but one step at a time and all that! Brilliant walk today, did I mention I'm so proud of you image Here is to onwards and upwards image
  • Options
    Hey everyone's doin so well image and not letting the weather stop them image
    I have to hang my very heavy head in shame and admit that yes, I was out partying again, it's not big or clever. It was good though, went to Aberdeen to visit my friend who moved there a couple of months ago image was amazing suffering today but gettin right back into 10k training mode tomorrow tuesday Wednesday and Saturday, looking forward to it. Also managed to get in to see orthopaedics at end of month who treated my ankle, still slightly concerned as to the amount of pain 14 months down the line so we'll see image
    Hope ur all well and all had good weekends, keep the hard work up image xxx
  • Options

Perfect party style K, think you've been doing our share too image

Take it easy with the ankle, I'm back for more tests on 24th so with you on the wanting it sorted image