New Year...New runner

Comments

• Hi Guys,

How's everyone doing, hope you're feeling better Maamalade, funny enough I'll be 41 in two weeks time, this running lark must be my mid-life crisis image

Broke the 5k mark tonight, in just under 45 mins jog/walk routine, at least I know I can cover the distance, now its about increasing the jog times.

My feet felt a little numb near the end, I suspect I need a new pair of trainers, I've got my eye on a pair at the local running shop run4it approx £90 but extremely comfy (need to save the pennies).

Happy running image
  • Hello all,

I posted way back at the start of this thread, then promptly disappeared again.  Good intentions and all that.

Im a (very) lapsed novice runner.  I did the C25K 3 years ago and at the end of it managed a 5 mile race in about 56 minutes (came last but 1!) and proimised to keep up the running, but with one thing or another I let it slide (Im rubbish at getting out once the weather warms up - find i so much easier in winter)

Anyway, then I got pregnant and had my baby in June last year so I really have no excuses now.

Im a good 3 stone overweight, so Im hoping if I can get back into my running it will help with the diet, and Ive been doing Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred (although not quie everyday) at home which is a;ready showing results.

So, Im going to do the local Race for Life, just so I have something in the diary, and Im  planning on entering the Birmingham half marathon.  Finding that thought very scary, but Ive always promised I would do a half marathon and Im in Birmingham for a wedding that weekend.  My local Half marathon is Hastings or  Brighton and both feature fairly serious hills which I just cant get my head around.  So, Brum it is.

I was thinking of keeping it secret, but I think I will need the public declaration to focus my mind!

I shall try to keep up with this thread and with you all.  Im away at the moment (In Brum funnily enough) but when I get home Ill dig out the trainers and get myself out on th C25K again.  Once I finish that I will find a half marathon programme to kill myself to!

• Hi all, I'm glad to hear everyone is doing so well. I'm still out of action, but am here as support for you all image

Bellasmum - when is the Brum HM? It sounds like you have real focus - go for it!

How is everyone else doing??? This thread is seeming sooooooo quiet!

Mum, K, Roy - Where you at?

• Hi All,

Completed another 5k this evening in 42mins felt a little easier than Tuesday, probably because I left the dog at home. I'm moving on to 7mins jog, 3mins walk on Sunday, should I do 3 or 4 sets???

I hope everyone is doing OK, would love to hear what you're all up to.

• Hi all - yes it does seem a bit Q here.  Half term perhaps?

Well, Ive entered the Brum half marathon - its on Oct 21st so I have a while to train - but not so much that I can put off starting.  Not only have I paid for it, Ive declared my intention publicly, so I cant pull out now.

So far, I have had positive comments from my really good friends and people I know who are runners (or gym bunnies) but really negative ones from other people - who without fail have each told me a story about someone they know who nearly died/wet themselves/came home in an ambulance while trying to do it.  After they tell me that, they then go on to tell me the miriad of reasons why they "couldnt do anything like that"  Strangely, none of them say "I dont have your committment" or "I cant be bothered", but instead they say "my knees are so weak" or "my blood pressure wouldnt let me" etc etc  They have then gone on to take the piss at the mere mention of physical activity.  

I suspect nothing more than jealousy and fear that I will lose weight and look better than they do.   Sadly, most of these people are my family.  Oh well.  I have to prove those people wrong too.  I will remember them while Im pounding the streets doing my training.

I vaguely remember a similar thing when I first started running.  Anyone else had a similar thing?

Im chomping at the bit to get started.  I am starting next week.  

• Good luck with your training for Brum - sure you will do great - keep us updated with your progress.

Sorry to say I have not done anything this week - has hubby in hospital for a few day (ear infection) - so with work and to/from to hospital plus some housework not a lot of time left.  Then got company this weekend so will get back into some routine next week

• Hi all,

Bellasmum - sounds great that you're all booked on. Don't let them get you down, this is something for you and like you say, sure they are only jealous and they will be full of praise and congrats for you when you cross the finish line, with a beaming grin I suspect image

Mum - any old excuse for not getting out image sure you'll be back in fighting form this week, can't wait to hear how you get on. Give dad a hug from me image

I'm back at the Dr's in the morning so hopefully some good news, just going to have to take it really slowly coming back as all my energy has been zapped out of me image Raring to get going though, I'm missing my runs!!!

Stewart - looks like you are doing really really well, keep it going!

Hope everyone else is doing well and that may pop on to say hi at somepoint image

• Hi all,

It's good to see some activity in here image

Maamalade, I'm sure the news will be good, and you will be back out there in no-time

Bellasmum, Plenty of time to get yourself prepared for the HM, and no doubt you will get plenty of support from all of us.

Ma'amy, sounds like you had your hands full, can't wait to hear how you're getting on next week

I've had a dose of man flu for a few days so I missed my gym session on Friday, but felt ok today so I got out for a run, Runkeeper went all haywire and recorded everything wrong, but I did the usual route just over 5K in 45 minutes 7mins jog, 3 mins walk.

3 weeks to go until 5K fun run, I'm really looking forward to it and might enter the Loch Ness 10k in September, which runs along side the Loch Ness Marathon,

Happy Running image
  • Stewart - brilliant run, especially when you aren't feeling so good and I'm confident the 5k will be brill! Get the 10k booked too, will give you real focus image

As for me, I'm not allowed to run for at least 2 more weeks, got to have some x-rays done to see how much damage I have done to my lungs, but I'm trying to stay positive that I've caught it early enough.  Good news is I can do gentle bits on my stepper and sit ups etc so not a total waste, just as long as I don't get short of breath!  Going to take it really easy as if I don't I'll probably never dive again which really wouldn't be a good thing!

Oh well, chin up and all that image

• Hey guys sorry not been on much. Been really unwell myself this last week so haven't done any running image. Need to get off my backside though as 10k is under 2 weeks away now.
    How is everyone?
    Ange how you doing?
    KIrstin still missing?
  • Roy - Welcome back, thought you'd forgotten us image

Sorry to hear you have been unwell also, seems to be a common theme at the moment.  I'm still not right, got pneumonia so no running till Dr says so,at least 2 more weeks, that'll be 3 weeks without a run image

Talk about missing what I love, no running, no diving, and no kisses as my fella is ill too image Things can only get better though, maybe even a lotto win tomorrow image I wish image

Still no word from K, I'm worried about her, wish she would pop on even if just to say hi image

• Hi all,

Maamalade, that's a real shame another 2 weeks out, fingers crossed that you will get the green light from the Doc.

Mr Wilson, Hope you're feeling better soon, so you get get out pounding those pavements.

Managed to get out tonight, blustery wind with rain mixed in, my first experience of running in poor conditions and to say the least it was not a great session image

To give you a little background, I discovered last night at the gym that there is a local park run in Inverness, so I thought I would like to try that, so my evenings goal was to try and run 5k without any walk breaks. started slowly around 8min/km pace got to around 2k and my lower back was in agony so I had to stop and try to stretch it out. I decided to continue and once again I had stop around the 3.5k mark. after another stretching session I ran the remainder of the distance completed the distance in 42:40 image at around 8:48min/km pace, which is 17 secs slower than my 5min jog 3min walk pace I ran last Thursday.

A valuable lesson learnt don't run before you can walk....
  • Stewart, just remember Rome wasn't built in a day, it takes time and pushing it too far too fast will only result in injury. I'd say continue with your run/walk programme and build up to it.  Pardon the pun, but it's not a race it should be FUN image especially when you are doing so very well.

Oh, and welcome to drag conditions image

Keep up the good work.

How is everyone else getting on? The Brum training going well Bellasmum? They starting to encourage you yet?

I'm off to the hospital for my first xray to see what damage I have done, lets hope not too much so a quick recovery image

• Hi all, I've hit a bit of a blip too, with half term and my husb being away which meant I didn't get out for about 5 days on the trot. Not been well either, just a cold but not very nice. I managed a horrible snuffling run yesterday 7k but was very slow! I need to get back up to speed, and redo a few days of my programme I think. Very glad I haven't got any races booked lol.

Stewart, I've heard that male mid life crises involve the 3 Ms... mistresses, motorbikes or marathons!
  • Hi all,

lol Rachel, definitively not the first two, funnily enough would love to do a Marathon, I believe they're called snickers now image

Maamalade, of course you're right, back to jog walk tomorrow night, the park runs can wait until I'm more confident of covering the distance.

I'll be going to the gym tonight got to work my core more, might help with the sore back I experienced last night

Happy running image
  • Glad to hear that everyone is starting to feel more upbeat, hopefully that is winter blues behind us all and can look onwards and upwards to the year ahead.

image I have booked my first race image May be a bit mad, but I'll be running the Great North Run (all 13.1 miles of it) on the 16th September for Crohns and Colitis UK!!!! Sponsors welcome image

Now to get the Dr to let me run, get some new running shoes and keep smiling image

• Hi All,

Excellent news Maamalade, I bet you can't wait image

I felt a lot better tonight 5K in a little over 42 mins, that the last set of 7 run 3 walk, now its onto 8 and 2 on Sunday. I'll need to get out a little earlier on Sunday as I have the first indoor net of the season.

Hope everyone is well and getting a chance to get out for a run.

Happy Running image
  • Hi all, hope everyone is keeping well.

Stewart, sounds like you are making brilliant progress.

As for if I can't wait, it is 29 weeks on Sunday, I've got a rough training plan together and now have my fundraising pack so need to start the sponsorship bits.

I've started by setting up a just giving page http://www.justgiving.com/ange-best need to keep it updated too, may even put some running pics on it.

Have got my vest top through with the pack too so part of my outfit is sorted for me image

Happy running and great weekend everyone image

• Hey everyone image long time no speak image my apologies image haven't forgotten u all though. Good to see everyone's still tryin to keep at it despite being poorly image hope u all get well again soon image Roy how u keepin? Any better? Ange, sorry to hear your poorly, hope it clears real soon image did u not have ur hosp check up this week too ? How did u do? I've just being goin light short distance jogs as ankles been really playin up, but had hosp check yest and they reckon bone has started growing extra bits which is causing a lot of pain but their gonns open scars up and remove all the metal work first and see if that helps. Quite pleased that they might b gettin to the source of the pain so it's a set back but a positive one image
    How's your mam doin ange? Xxx
  • K Welcome back - really good to hear from you, even if not the happiest of news.  I'm feeling really much better, had my xray Wednesday for my pneumonia, get the results on the 6th March so can't run till got that. Went yesterday for my ultrasound on my ankle, the woman said it is a calcium build up by the achilles and bone but no idea what will be done for it so still guessing on that one.  I feel your frustration in that you want to get out, but need to take it slow or have a break, but if it gets you right then the short term frustration has to be better than the potential long term effects? Or that is how I am looking at it image

Mum is doing ok, not really been out much though, combination of dad having been back in hospital and with visiting etc being a pain on travel/time, then there boiler broke down and mum decided running when you have no hot water may not be the best idea in the world.  She is planning on getting out again though soon so hopefully will see her on here again telling us all how well she is doing image

Roy - how are things going for you? Feeling any better or still taking it easy?

Stewart - keep it going for the team image seems you're the healthy one of the bunch image

Happy running/resting/recovering everyone xxx

• Hi All!

Still here!   Sorry to hear about all the health  problems you are having.  Sounds like you are still focussed though which I am in awe of.  I struggle to get out and I have never been sick or injured.  The excuse of illness would be so easy for me to take!

Training has been put on a temporary hold until my new trainers arrive.  Ive been out walking with the buggy - a lot, but my old Asics had been dumped in the cupboard from hell (we all have one - right?) and were squashed so badly that the sole was mishapen! They were 4 years old and had seen me quite well, so I decided another few days wouldnt kill me so went to the local running shop for some new ones.  Chose which ones I wanted and then came home to find them on Amazon for £30 cheaper.  They should be here in the next day or so and then Im outta that door!

Does anyone have any experience of running with a buggy.  I am scouriing Ebay for a proper running buggy but at the speed I go - along the lovely smooth seafront prom, Im not sure it matters too much. It would be so much easier if I could run during his naps.

Anyway, happy Sunday all.  The weather here is lovely, it would be perfect for a run!

• Hello all - you have all been busy keep it up

I have not been out for a couple of weeks - my hubby spent a few days in hopital but with work and to/fro etc did not find time to get out.  Then had company for the weekend - then to cap it all problem with the boiler (no hot water) - decided washing when clean was one thing but when hot and sweaty another matter - so again no running.

Have been out this weekend - slow start again - Sat 3.1km in 30min (with last km up hill) - did some slow jogging half doz times between odd lamp posts (on flat and downhill parts)

This morning walked 6.1km in 1.10 - again not speedy but tried to keep steady pace,  Tom is rest day - left knee a bit tender so giving it a rest,

Will keep you updated with my progress  

• Hi all,

Ma'amy, Well done on the run yesterday, I've not tried tackling hills yet, no doubt it will be something to look forward too (o_O).

Bellasmum, what type of trainers have you gone for, bet you can't wait to get them out for a quick spin.

Maamalade, Hope the ankle is ok, will this be your fist HM?

Been a busy day all in all, took the youngest to Dingwall for a Highland dancing seminar, came back to sneckie plodded 5k in 41 mins, back to Dingwall to pick up a very red in the face 8yr old, she looked more worn out than me image.

This afternoon I went to cricket training for a couple of hours and spent the remainder watching Liverpool play Cardiff.

Not a bad way to spend your Sunday.

Happy Running
  • Hi all

Well done mum, you've had a brilliant weekends training, just don't over do it, slow and steady remember.  Know the hills are tough, but that's what you get for living at the top of one, no option but to run them image

My ankle is ok, just have to wait to hear from the consultant now.

Go back to the Dr's on the 6th to see if pneumonia has cleared up enough to be able to run, really hope so coz my Great North Run training plan demands it. It will be my first HM, infact, I've only ever ran 9.16k before now so going to be tough. I have a plan, it gives me flexiblity and is only adding 1k per week with 3 week repeats when I reach 10, 15 and 20k so should be managable.  If all goes to plan will have covered the distance before I go on holiday in July, will then just need to maintain and have 6 weeks to tweak between hols and race.  Did I mention it is 29 weeks today!!!!!!!

Liverpool had a good win, shame it took them so long to beat Cardiff though image

I'm off to chill now after being in work for 6 hours today, then back in tomorrow image

Here is to a good week ahead image

• Hi all, I'm back to running 3 times a week again, trying to work round work now too though! Managed a couple of 7ks in the week, and a quick 4 today, while the family had icecreams on the prom! image

I have a job interview on Thursday and have to work Monday and Tuesday so not sure how the running will work out but I now know I feel much better when I do run than when I don't, so I really am trying to make it a regular part of my week!

Good luck with your North Run Maamalade, tbh I think you're mad lol but if that's what motivates you, you go! image

Probably won't post so much as I'm just doing the same thing over and over, and there is a limit as to how interesting my posting about running 7k can be, but I do read and try and keep up with you all!

xx
  • Well keep up the good work all - and hope all fitness problems sort out for everyone.

I have tender knee from the weekend - so resting today - will see how it settles down before pushing it too much

• Evening all, how is everyone doing?

Mum - how is the knee today? Settling down so you can do a run/walk tomorrow? image

I'm getting excited now as it is hopefully now less than a week will I run again!!! The way I see it I'm at the Dr's at 5.20 so should be able to go for a run about 6 image Not that I'm counting though image

• Hi All,

Maamalade, lol I can see you're itching to get those trainers on, I've got my fingers crossed for ya.

Ma'amy, hope the knee is feeling better today

Rachel, Good luck with the job interview,

Didn't go to the gym yesterday, had to take an enforce rest day due to being hit in the unmentionables by an indoor cricket ball, of course I got no sympathy from my fellow club members, some even stated it was the highlight of the session image

Decided to increase the distance to 7k tonight as penance for missing the gym, I completed the session in an hour which pleased me as there was some hill work, 132feet climb over 1km.

I really enjoyed my plod this evening, and I can't wait to get back out there, my next scheduled run will be on my 41st birthday, how that for dedication.

Happy running image
  • Stewart - ouch!!!! is all I can say, hope you are recovering well.  It is definately dedication to be going out on your birthday, many happy returns.  Don't push too hard though, all the reading I have done says to rest when needed and not try to over do it coz you have to miss a session, wouldn't want more injuries.

Brilliant run though and a good time, bet made you smile to know you've done it image

You're right too, I can't wait to run, especially today coz the weather is so nice it is calling me to run, but have to keep focused, NOT till seen the Dr, for once I'm doing as I'm told.  Been looking at new running shoes too so all exciting just to decide and then get some money then can buy, then of course, to run image

Roy - how you doing with your prep for this weekends 10k? You ready for it?

Keep running everyone image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Hi All,

Maamalade, snap!, I've got my eye on a pair of new trainers at our local Run4it shop, £90, I got a £25 voucher from my eldest for my bday, so I'm going to treat myself at the weekend image

I went out this evening same route as Tuesday, 58 mins image, a little tired but I'm feeling good now, Mutley appears to be enjoying the plod as well.

Happy running