New Year...New runner

Comments

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Maamalade, hope you're feeling better and are fully rested, well done on the wait loss, I've also lost a few pounds almost below the 15st mark now image,

went out today did my running on the track 12.5 laps in a little over 36 mins, hip was ok during the run felt a couple of twinges after, but seems to be ok now, I'm not going to push it much this week, probably do another couple of sessions, one on Tuesday and the other on Thursday, I think I just have to stretch better before and after any activities, hopefully this will keeps any potential niggles at bay.

Outdoor nets also starts this week so I'll have to work that into my training timetable, I'll need to make sure I don't over do it I would hate to miss out on matches, the season starts proper in three weeks.

Happy Running image
  • Hey Stewart,

Yeah enjoying the rest, going to go out tomorrow. Feeling really good with weight loss.

As for your running, don't know if it helps but I was advised against static stretches before exercises to do cardio to build up body then do static stretching after warm down.  Don't know if that will help image

Also, sorry for seeming dumb but what is outdoor nets?

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Maamalade, outdoor nets = cricket training, we put nets round our cricket bays, it just stops the balls form being hit all over the park.

Hope the weather is better down there, winter has finally hit Scotland!
  • StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well, injury free and hitting those pavements image

I went out this evening with jog Scotland group, a really friendly bunch, I joined the 3 mile group, I didn't time my run, felt a little slow as I had a stitch most of the way round and I couldn't get rid of it completely, however it was managable.  The weather this evening was not great, a bit windy with hail mixed in, I supose I feel a greater sense of achivement completing the run in those conditions.

I'm thinking about doing a longer run at the weekend probably 7K, I'll see how I feel after going out on Thursday.

Happy Running image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

How's everyone getting on, I would love to hear what you've all been up too.

I did the parkrun this morning it was a little soft and muddy in places, but the conditions were not bad considering the weather this week, unofficial time of 35 mins 40 secs, so no pb this week.

Hope to get out tomorrow, not sure of the route or distance yet, I probably decide before going out.

Happy Running image
  • Hi all

I've not been out since Tuesday, got another chest infection image so not fair, but trying to get my body to fight it a bit so that I can try and have some immune system.  It is getting me down coz I want to go running!

I have made my partner happier though by buying a cheap, small, lightweight pay n go phone to take running with me.  Idea is that there is a contact number if anything happens to me, or I can contact people when I finish the GNR image Well that is if I'm ever healthy enough to run image

Stewart, glad to hear your running is going well.

Keep running image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Maamalde, that is bad luck catching another chest infection image hopefully you'll be fully recovered soon, 

Out this morning ran to Dochgarroch and back, 10k in 1h 17 mins, I deliberately tried to keep my pace between 7:30 and 7:50 km, it actually felt quite easy until the last couple of kilometres, I suspect that just because I'm still fairly new to running, to say that I'm delighted to finally break the 10k is an understatement, I can't believe I've hit another milestone so quickly, I've only been running for just over 3 months.

Happy running image

• Well Done Stewart, 10k is a huge acheivement, you are rightly proud image
  • StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well, Maamalade, have you recovered from your chest infection?

Went out this evening with jog Scotland I join the 3 mile group, One heavy shower near the start, totally soaked, but at least it  kept fair for the remainder of the run, 35 mins for 3.5 miles as usual I was bringing up the rear, it felt hard at the start but got easier around half way, strangely I even managed a bit of a kick at the end with some encouragement from the group.

Happy Running image 

• Stewart,

That sounds great, good time too image

I'm getting there with infection, still not clear but Dr has said I can run if I feel up to it so going to give a short run a go in the next few days.  May even get mother out this weekend for a little run/walk session to help her back in the swing image Will be good to see parents.

Keep up the running and sure I'll be back to it soon image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Maamlade, glad to hear you're on the road to recovery, and i'm sure you'll be able to persude your mum to get out for a run.

My lovely eight year old daughter has been wanting to go out jogging for a while now, so we took her to town this afternoon and bought her a pair of running leggings and a top, on the promise that she could go out for a run in the morning, as I usually have cricket training on Thursday evenings, however the training was a washout, so i went home put on my running gear, told little missy too get her new gear on, she was absolutely delighted, "are we going to run a 5k daddy". I decided to respond with the usual fatherly response when asked such a question, "we will just have too wait and see darling".

So off we went over to the park, jessica was fully off beans, one lap of the park and home again 2.2km in a little over 18 mins image 8.30min per km pace, she only had to stop a couple of times for a little walk, I'm very pround of her an amazing effort for her first run image

Happy running image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Hi all.

Slept in this morning so I had no time to go to the gym, I went out for a run instead another 5k run in 34 mins an enjoyable run until the hail storm what a lovely climate we live in

Happy running image
  • StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well and getting out for a run, Maamalade did you manage to get out this weekend with your Mum?

Ran down the canal toepath again today down towards Dochgarroch locks and back again, 10k in 1:09:20image , thats over 7 mins quicker than last Sunday.  My first and last kilometre were the quickest 6:37 and 6:39 respectively, truth been told I probably ran it a little too quickly today but it did feel good for the first half, the second half was a lot tougher,  but it was a good experience to run when tired and not feeling so goodimage.

Oh by the way I've achieved another milestone this week I've finally got under the 15stone mark on the scales image , unfortunetely I didn't weigh myself prior to starting exercising in January, but I recon I have lost between 1.5 and two stonesimage.

Happy Running image

• Hey Stewart image you are doing great with running and weight loss image Bet you are totally chuffed and rightly so.

I did get out at the weekend, did 6.51k mostly uphill image was tough, but felt good and felt great being back out running.  Mum didn't come with me as she was getting her hair done for going out Saturday night.  Can't blame her as it was her birthday so shouldn't complain.

Going back out again tomorrow so will let you know how I get on image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hope your mum had a wonderful birthday, make sure you keep nagging her to get out for a run, soulds like you had a good run at the weekend, how did your run go today?

Tonight was jog Scotland, I moved up to the 4/5 mile group, we ran a route I've never done before, we ran through the Islands, along dores road and then up stratherrick road, quite a steep hill, then followed along the road to the southern disributor road back down to dores road and back towards the Islands to the start, 7km in total in 50 minutes.  I really enjoyed it tonight felt good all the way round and managed to chat fairly comfotably with Gordie, the hill was tough but I managed it without stopping, the weather for a change was nice the sun even made a brief appearance image

Happy Running image

• Hi

Yesterdays run was good, I planned on 5k and got so carried away with the run as was enjoying so much that I did 8.42k in 55:30 so not too bad.

Your run sounds good, wish was that nice round here.  I haven't made a running group yet.  By the time I get in from work I'm either running to try and make it or just totally miss it so not good odds, but hey ho, solo running gives me chance to clear my head.

Off out again tomorrow so will let you know how it goes, only planning a short one as want to save myself for a long run on Sunday.

Keep Running image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Maamlade, Good run, and time too image how did your shorter run go, I tend to loop my runs so it's not so easy to acidentially overcook the mileage.

Cricket training was a washout image  so I went out with Jog Scotland again last night as compensation image.  I joined the 4 mile group again not as hilly as Tuesday night 3.85 miles in 41:20 average pace about 10:45 m/m.  There is a chance tomorrow's game against F.William will be called off, I might just sneak in a couple of miles,  I'm planning a slow run on Sunday 7 miles should suffice

• Hi Stewart

I went out Thursday and managed 5.31k, felt tough but Thursday runs always do.

You seem to be doing so well with your running, I'm going to go out Sunday for a long one, will wait to see how long it really ends up image

• Woo Hoo image I'm feeling very proud image Today I have beaten my longest run of 10.48k by putting in a 12.27km LSR!!! Did it in 1hr 22min 8sec.   That not only makes me smile because it is my longest run, but I have now also run over half of the GNR distance, and I'm now thinking I can pull out a quicker GNR than I have put on my application image

My cousin has done a HM today in sub 1:45, so jealous, and I know 2 people running the London Mara and one of the girls from work her 14yr old daughter has been selected as one of 3 to represent the North West in the London Mini Mara!!!!!

Hope everyone else is well and having good running image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Congratulations on the distance PB Maamalade and a good time too image, you have earned the right to be delighted with yourself.

7 miles for me this afternoon, new route today the  first mile was fairly flat and then it was uphill all the way to mile 2 and behond with what I would describe as a killer hill, as you know what goes up must come down, on quite a steep decent which was hard work on the joints, at about 4.5 miles I got ridiculed by three guys that looked like the just finished their all day breakfasts and 5 pints of lager, I have to abmit if they had blond wigs on I would have mistaken them for the rollie pollies.  The rest of my run was quite uneventful, apart from negotiating the traffic through the town.  This was all completed in 1:25:50 at an average pace of 12:40mm, not quite as speedy as you Maamalade, but I'm happy enough with getting the miles in the legs, I think in future I'll leave the hills for a non LSR day image 

Oh! it was also a distance pb for me as well image

Happy Running image

• Stewart - Wow image Brilliant Run!!! You too have the right to be very proud of yourself, and be happy with your time.  Just think how far we have both come in a short space of time.

When I get ridiculed I just think, what would you look like after how far I have just run image It tends to make me smile with the answer because I know it isn't as good as me running past and still smiling image

Got couple short runs planned for this week then to hit the LSR on Saturday next week, need to be careful on the legs though as I'm back to my diving next sunday image If I do to much on Saturday my legs just won't hold out for diving Sunday which just isn't an option for me.

Keep running and keep smiling image

• You two are doing brilliantly! Well done! I had a busy Easter but I did manage a couple of runs on holiday in the Peaks... too hilly!! image

But tbh, I've lost my motivation a bit, once I'd cracked the 10k I sort of lost interest! I still go out a couple of times a week but it's a struggle. image I feel I should have a goal in mind, but I really don't want to get into racing. Any ideas?
  • Hey Rachel, good to hear from you.  Before I signed up for a race my goals kind of altered between distance and time.  I was running 2 miles (seems so small a distance now image ) and set myself the challenge that I would up the distance once I did sub 20min.  Now I alternate adding distance ready for the GNR to building speed as would love to comfortably be able to do sub 30min 5k and sub 60 min 10k.  Maybe you could try  a challenge like that?

Get out and enjoy it, once you've something in mind you'll remember why you love it.  I also have certain days and routes that just make me smile image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Rachel, the runs I enjoy the most are the ones out of town, going down the toepath of the Caledonian Canal, the views are fabulous, the sights and sounds of the country side cannot be matched.

Maamalade, your shedule looks good, just remember to take it SLOW! on Saturday and you'll be fine for diving, 

Five miles this evening with jog Scotland, with another hill between miles 3 and 4, another tough run but it felt good average pace 10:54, finished run in 54:40, will go out on Thursday/Friday and do another 5 and a lsr on Sunday either 7 or 8 miles

Happy Running image

• Hi all,

Well I made it out last night and my planned 5 ish k turned into 10.54k image When I looked at my splits it was also a pb as reached the 10k mark in 61:39 image

Having a rest day today then plan to do a short 5-6k fartlek tomorrow, rest Fri as going out with friends image run saturday, mustn't drink too much friday, then dive sunday image

All planning out for a good week, lets just hope the weather is kindimage

Stewart, well done on the run.

Rachel, how you getting on?

Oh, my mum is back on the training.  I set her a new training plan and she did day 1 yesterday.  So proud of her, just need to keep the support for her as I know she can do it image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Maamalade, a very speedy 10k there congrats on the pb, a very busy weekend you've got planned, enjoy the fartlek today and your lsr on Saturday, remember you need your legs for your dive on Sunday image how's your mum getting on has she managed to get out again

4.6 miles tonight, ran almost the same route as Tuesday but in the opposite direction, it was a really enjoyable run, I felt quite comfortable all the way round avg pace 10:4x finished run in 47 mins.  I'm planning my lsr to be around 8 miles covering some of the course for the 10k race I'm going to do in September, my only concern is I'm going to running on a main road for over a mile without any pavements, got any tips?

I'm wanting to build up my base miles before moving on to interval/fartlek/hill training, if I do 8 this Sunday then I've done 17miles for the week, plus 2 X-training sessions and a Cricket match(weather permitting) on Saturday, any ideas on the optimal mileage before adding some speed work?  I'm also looking for a plan to follow for the 10k the 16 week one on here looks good, anyone got any other sugguestions.

Happy Running image 

• Hi Stewart,

Sounds like you are getting on really well.

I didn't get out Thursday as the weather was so bad, did a stepper/cross trainer session instead.

I have today however made it out for a nice LSR that was faster than expected.  Thought ave pace would be around 7min/km and was actually 6:35 so happy with that when I have done 14.69K!!!! image Feeling very proud of myself right now, but also now very aware that the next 7k ish are going to be shear hell.  Really need to sort out energy/nibbles for running, pre foods/drinks but also stuff that doesn't upset my tum image so not fair but enjoying the challenge, never thought I'd even get this far image

As for mum, don't know if she has been out again, but know she is at a wedding today so can't see her doing anything this weekend image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Maamalade you're doing really well almost 15k and at a good pace, you're right to be happy with yourself, sorry I don't have any advice with regard to fueling, but you'll have enogh time to experiment with a number of products.

LSR today, blue skies, a light breeze and the temputure around 14 C, which is considerably hotter than it's been for a while, certainly a contrast in the weather compared to earlier in the week.  Took on a new route today which included a good part of the Baxters 10k route, again I was feeling a bit stiff after cricket on Saturday, lost again unfortunetly image,I wanted to do 8 miles today but fell half a mile short, mainly because I was feeling a little queezy, mixture of the heat and the sports drink I decided to try out image, at least I know not to go for that one again, in truth I prefer water, it quenches the thirst a lot better, I'll probably give that a go along with jelly beans next week.  So the key stats for the day were 7.5 miles in 1: 31:xx average pace 12:10, I felt good to around mile 5/6, and thats when I started to feel a little below par, overall I'm happy with my progress, but I'll need to look into my shedule as I currently don't have any rests days,

Happy Running image 

• Stewart, you are doing brilliant. 

Hope the jelly beans go well for you.  For drinks I stick to the Orange Lucazade Sport, works well with no iffy tummy image

I'll be out again tomorrow as only run 3 days per week image

Enjoy your run and sorry to hear that you lost at cricket, hopefully better next time image

• Hello all - back on the training

Have been out for 3 5 min warm up/20min walk/5 min cool down walks this week

Small start but at least its something

You are all doing good - so keep it up - will be keeping you up to date with my progress and checking on you all