New Year...New runner

Comments

• Hey Ma'amy, well done on week 1, hope you are ready for week 2.  Know that you can do it image
  • StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Well done Ma'amy keep up the good work image

Maamalade, how did your run go on Monday? unfortunately we will probably loose more games than we'll win this year image

Out with the 5 mile group last night beautiful evening, down to the clachnaharry locks and back again 53:xx at 10:45mm, after the first mile or so it felt a lot easier. The jog leader suggested I try and tag along with the quicker runners next time out, they were running at 9:30mm, he thinks I'm capable of maintaining a faster pace.

Happy Running image
  • Stewart,

I didn't get out on Monday after diving on Sunday, knee was feeling something iffy.  Went out last night though and did 10.53k in 63mins so not too bad.

Having rest today, well if you don't include the 3 mile walk I've done image

Good to hear they think you can stick with a faster group, that is brilliant. Can't wait to hear how you get on.

Ma'amy  - have you been out yet this week?

Keep running/walkingimage

• I've just applied to do a 10k race on May 13th image

Also looking at a couple of 10 mile races, but one is Wed night and not sure could get there after work, the other is the day after I land back from Cuba! What do you think?

• Been out Mon and Tues this week for walks
    Enjoy 10k race in May Maarmalde - not sure about the race day after hols

Will keep up to date on how I am doing - and keep check on how you are all doing
  • StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Maamalade, are you planning to race the 10k or are you treating it as a training run? I would probably skip the 10 mile race after your trip to Cuba, you will probably be jetlagged.

Ma'amy well done getting out this week, look forward to some more updates

Happy Running image

• Hi all

I'm looking to do the 10k to 1. Get race experience, 2. To try and get a new PB and 3. To get a training run with a difference in image

I'm looking at doing the mid week 10 mile in June, just working out logistics.

Ma'amy, so glad you are getting out and doing it, hope the plan is working for you and that you are scheduling in your training image

I've been out today and done 5.13k, even managed a new 5k pb of 29:11 image

My knee is still hurting from Sunday, but for some reason stops hurting when I run image

Happy running everyone image

• Happy running to you all - I am still walking - but at least getting out and doing some. Working to improve stamina even on a small walk - been out again tonight approx 3km in 38min (inc warm up/cool down) - pleased with time (your reverse run route - but cut corner behind papershop/Bay Horse)

Keep up the good work all

• Well done! image Proud of you image Did you get your watch through ready for next week? x

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Well done on the 5k pb maamalade, I think you've made the right choice with regard to the 10 mile race

Ma'amy good too see that you're getting back into it, keep up the good work

I'm kind of repeating myself with my runs of late, another 5 miles last night looping the opposite way round the canal 4.88 miles in 53:xx ran at the same pace as Tuesday 10:45mm, I decided against running with the quicker runners, my hip been  playing up a little, so I've made an appointment with a phisio, hopefully its nothing but a niggle.

Happy Running image

• Hi

Hope the hip settles down for you Stewart and that you enjoy your weekend run and of course the cricket image

Ma'amy - how is it going????

I'll be out running again tomorrow then off diving sunday I hope image

Keep up the good running/walking image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Big game tomorrow it's against our local rival's Highland, It will be a tough game but we will enjoy each others company in the bar afterwardsimage

• Now that sounds like a plan, have a great game image

I'm off for a LSR

• Drum roll please........ Today I have completed my first ever 10 mile run!!!! Did 16.08k, which according to my conversion is 9.99 miles, to me thats 10 image Did it in 1hr 44:46, don't know if that is good, but felt great to hit the 10 mile mark image Feeling very very proud of myself even if my legs and hips feel like jelly image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Congratulation Maamaladeimage, I agree that's 10 miles in my book as well, you must be feeling really confident for the GNR, hope you've left enough in your legs for diving tomorrowimage

FYI, first win of the season for us image and I bagged four wickets as well

LSR for me tomorrow, I'll need to adjust my planned route as there is a race for life event happening, so I'll probably just run the canal paths, so no hills for me tomorrow image.

Happy running

• Great - Maarmalade and StewartC - keep it up (but not overdoing things)

I went for just under 3km walk yesterday - start with uphill slope before levelling off - 33mins so pleased with that

Will see about getting out again tomorrow

• Hi all

I'm back from diving, 2 good dives and pleased to report no aches or pains image

Well done on the cricket Stewart, and Ma'amy glad to see you are getting out again image

Keep it up x

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

well done Ma'amy I'm glad you're enjoying your power walking image

Maamalade, sounds like you've had an enjoyable day, and to be ache free is a major bonus image

LSR today, was planning 8 miles but as usual things didn't quite go to plan, about 2 miles into the run there was a gorse bush fire, probably caused by a disguarded fag! so I phoned the fire brigade, this unfortunetly has played havoc with the running app I use on my phone, so the gps tracking stopped working image

Wrongly I decided to run back along the opposite bank of the canal, for 2 miles there was a trail no wider than a foot and it was extremely uneven terrain, this didn't help my hip niggle at all image once I got back onto to a more even surface the niggle was barely noticable.  Key stats for the run are,

Time :1 hour and 23 minutes

Distance : just over 7 miles

Average pace: 11:22

the average pace was over a minute quicker than last week, given that there was no hills today I was hoping to keep it below 11mm.

Happy Running image

• Stewart, sounds like a very interesting run with lots of disruptions. Well done for keeping going, most people would have called the fire brigade and gone home.  Good for you image

• Well I have been out today and, wait for it..... ....... I am one very happy happy happy runner image Not only could I really not be bothered and had my OH laugh at me during my warm up when I was coaxing myself to have some motivation, but then went on to do 10.49k.  A run that felt so good that I couldn't wait to view the splits and see what my 10k came out as.  That is when I shocked myself when I realised I had taken 1 min 51 sec off my previous PB to have a new PB of 59:48!!!!! That's sub 60 imageimageimageimage Woo Hoo image Feeling so excited and feeling much more comfortable and confident for Sunday's 10k.  Oh, did I mention that I'm feeling very happy and proud of myself image

I do have one question though, normally when I finish a run I pour some pineapple juice to warm while I cool down, then once done and stretched out drink it in place of a recovery shake (it works for me), then I scoff my food before hitting the shower.  Today I struggled with the juice, then even after a shower had to force feed myself as was and still am feeling very bloated and sickly. Any ideas? Only ever once felt like this after a run before, and for me to be off my juice and my food is really not a good thing, even the OH has noticed image

Hope everyone is enjoying their running this week image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Maamalade, a sub 60 min 10k you're a star image I would imagine and hope that your 10k race on Sunday will be as enjoyable, I've got no words of advice re not feeling so well after your run, did you do anything different pre run that might have contributed?  Hopefully you're feeling better now and enjoying your acheivementimage.

Five miles for me tonight, we ran the same route two weeks ago and boy the hill almost killed me, but I kept plodding along until I got to the top, if I was on my own I would have been tempted to walk it, but I'm a little stuborn image.

Key stats for the run:

5 miles in 52:41 avg pace 10:26

Thats two minutes quicker than the time I recorded two weeks ago image, and one of the miles was a sub 10 minute mile, unfortunetly it was the first mile image

1 -  9:49

2 - 10:07

3 - 10:58

4 - 11:04

5 - 10:11

the hill was between mile 3 and 4, I'm happy I finished feeling fairly strong

Happy Running image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well, Maamalade, Ma'amy have you got out at all in the last couple of days?

Just over 5 miles for me tonight going through 5 miles in 53 minutes, which was quite suprising given that it felt like I had no pace in my legs at all, I'm not having any real rest days now with cricket training/matches, the gym and running three days a week, Usually I go to the gym on Friday after work, I may consider giving it a miss tomorrow and have a day off....maybeimage

Happy Running image

• Hi Stewart

I haven't been out, been feeling a bit under the weather with migraine Tue/Wed/Thu so decided to miss my run on Thu to rest and recover with racing on Sunday.  I was diving in the pool last night though which is good, burns around 350 cal/hour and I did 2 hours so can't be all that bad for me image  Was really good coz diving with Dad and Uncle and helping them out image

Ma'amy is on holiday for the weekend, went Thurday and back either sunday or monday.  I know she hasn't been out this week so I'm going to suggest she repeat week 2 of the training plan I wrote for her.  3 x 30 min walks with 5 min walk warm and 5 min walk cool.  Then to move onto the run/walk week.  That is unless ma'amy is feeling with all the walking she is doing while away she feels up to introducing the run/walk image

Sounds like you are doing great Stewart, good times too.  I know what you mean about feeling like no speed, quite often they tend to be my faster runs too image Weird hey image

Have a great weekend, hope the cricket goes well and all being good I'll report in tomorrow on how the 10k race has gone image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Maamalade, you're right to take a few days off if your not feeling well, I don't think I could run if I had a migraine either, sounds like the diving is going well, and at least it will be a little warmer in the pool, I wouldn't be suprised if Ma'amy is ready to start on the run/walk week.

Sandwich run today the plan was to run to the parkrun at the bught at an easy pace, try to get a 5k pb and then easy for 3miles back home.

The 2 miles felt quite easy, however I may have ran it a litlle too quickly, 10:40mm pace is NOT my easy pace image 22 minutes

The parkrun went ok a bit slippery in places but the overhead conditions were perfect, once again the pacing was not too great 9:40, 10:39 10:45, 10:48 finishinh in around 32 minutes, so I'll have a new PBimage I was hoping to get a little closer to a 30min 5k, but overall I'm happy with my time image

The 3mile run home was ran at a more relaxed pace 12mm, 37 minutes, in truth I would have struggled to keep the pace around 10:30mm, so in total 8 miles for me today in around 1:30:xx image and a new distance pb image

Happy Running image

• Stewart - well done you, brilliant day if you ask me image

I'm hoping for a new PB tomorrow, but will be a tough ask so will see image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Results just in for parkrun new pb 31:54 image I'm sure you'll get a new pb tomorrow, looking forward to the race report image

• Hey

Race report to follow, but time was 58:31 image

• /members/images/684170/Gallery/2012-05-13_11.16.49_1.jpg

Can't believe how rough I look on this, was only about 4k into the race!!!

Still feeling proud of myself, but feeling more refreshed now I've eaten some fish finger sandwiches and of course a nice hot bath image

Ok, so the race:

Was a good course in that it circled back and forth past a central point which made it really good for people to be able to watch/keep track of you.

It was fairly flat most of the way with some hills, thankfully only short, on some of the bends, the main one being just by the half way/finish point!

As for the rest, my only issue was the amount of choke points on the circuit.  Setting off there was the slow going through the start point which I had expected, but then as you reached the left hand bend at 1km the route went from road to path and the course narrowed to less than 1m wide!!! As you can image it caused a bit of a slow point.  As you went round there were some areas that we had to stay on the pavement which was interesting since it is tree lined.  It made passing quite difficult.

I think if the choke points hadn't been there I would have finished between 30-60 secs quicker, remember all the chokes on the first 5k were there on the 2nd 5k too image The weather was really hot too, there was some cloud cover but just as the race started the sun came through making it a bit too warm for my liking.  It was nice passing the water station though as it was by a fountain and the spray was blown onto you image

I'm planning on doing it again next year to see if it gets any better, after all it was the first ever Port Sunlight 10k image

So final time was 58:31 which put me 515 out of 787 so both my aims reached, to have a sub 60 and not finish last. image

One question though, is it normal that the Garmin will show a shorter distance.  I'm sure I started and finished as I crossed the lines, but is only showed me doing 9.78k image Guessing not an issue as the course was approved the athletic people so must have been proven to be 10k

• Congratulations Maamalade! How fantastic! It's so brilliant to see you reaching your goals!

I've just popped in because my Race for Life was today. You might not remember byt I booked it aaaages ago (my daughter and I were runner numbers 4 and 5, so that proves it!) and I was hoping to get a time under 25 mins. 

Unfortunately, in the week leading up to this, I'd been really quite ill, only a fluey cold thing, but seeing as my children had it too, it meant I couldn't get out and run at all.. and tbh I'd got a bit lazy lately anyway. I almost pulled out of the race, but as I've done it every year since losing my dad to cancer, that wasn't really an option...., so I decided to set myself a new goal, that of not walking or slowing down too much all the way round. I've run the Race for Life a few times now but I've never run it all the way before!

Well, I managed it! image And even better, my time was 22:29, miles better than last year and only 10 secs slower than my speedy daughter! Feeling proud! 

• Rachel - that is one brilliant run.  Proud of you for keeping going and coming in a brilliant time.  Many Congratulations image Oh, good to see you back on here too image x