Giving Blood and Running

2»

Comments

• Yes, the reason you can donate platelets so regularly is because of the limited impact on the body. It will not impact running at all in most cases, though there are some rare mild side effects that could run you down for a day or two.

I listened to that interview on MT and it all made sense, though I can't remember the details. I think for most people the 12 week recovery is for a complete return to normal values in physiological and biochemical tests (and therefore the reason for allowing people to donate after 13 weeks. Most of us won't actually be able to detect any practical difference after a shorter period.

It is much the same as running a marathon. You can detect differences in scientific tests long after we feel recovered, and you'd probably notice the difference if you did another max effort long race even weeks later. But you can soon train again after the race, you should be racing pretty well soon afterwards if you "listen to your body", and of course everyone is different.

• I'm giving blood Thursday morning and was planning to do 5k in the evening ... I can live with 10% off given where I am in the training schedule. I'll listen to that MarathonTalk podcast on the way round!

• UluruUluru ✭✭✭

I was 13% off my PB with my first 5K after giving blood on 29th Dec. This was on 31st Dec.

On Friday I was 5.8%off for my 5K time. 

I did my first 10K yesterday and I was 7.5% off my PB.

So I can see a slow improvement. But obviously the longer runs will be harder.

Good luck with your post blood giving run Mark-C

• This post really interested me...I gave blood back in September and tried to go for my usual 5k run the morning after....I managed just over a mile before I felt depleted!

I had signed up for a 10k in late September so kept with my usual schedule for training, although I found it harder those last few weeks. I was 1:10 off my PB for that 10k, not sure it was down to giving blood but I've made it a rule not to give blood the same month as a race!
  • That sound quite scientific Uluru, and the figures certainly pass the first test of "biological plausibility". Hope you are near 100% soon.
  • I would think your body would be putting a lot of it's resources into producing more blood cells- of all types. Running quickly is probably quite low on it's lust of things to be doing.

Have a look at HAT - the training is actually done at low altitude the athletes just sleep in tents to provide the effects of lower oxygen at high altitudes.
  • UluruUluru ✭✭✭

57.5 Degrees if pain; I thought it was the only way I could measure any progress over different distances.

Thanks me too!

Thanks TimR will do

• Finally got round to listening to the podcast mentioned above. Seems fluid is easily replaced, its the haemoglobin and iron levels that take so long to recover. Think iron levels is definitely something I'll be looking into a bit more, being vegetarian and a blood donor I think I need to start being more proactive in that department.

Also interesting that even if you only donate every 16 weeks like they recommend, its still frequent enough to increase your chance of anaemia.

Also another point they mentioned I hadn't thought of, its 16 weeks between donations, which is a pretty standard build up to a marathon, so its relatively easy to schedule your blood donations around this.image

• TimR - platelets are not that hard to make, as Tom1759 says it is building up the haemoglobin that is tougher.

Tom1759 - We will need to set up a subgroup of this thread for us vegetarians!

• So I gave blood this morning and it was made clear to me that I must not run today because I would be dehydrated. I can run tomorrow evening but should drink more than usual first ....
  • Yeah they usually say give it a day, but you should be able to make up those fluids in 24 hours or so
  • I have been donating platelets for the past 5 months and my training has not been affected at all, I donate every 3 weeks. So if some of you find that your training is affected after donating whole blood, try donating platelets.
  • UluruUluru ✭✭✭

Hi Mark-C Let us know how your run tomorrow evening goes. I can imagine it wouldn't have been a good idea to run today.

I went on a slightly longer run today and I'm slowly getting back to my PB. I did have an off day on Tuesday but I can't blame that on giving blood.

• Work got in the way of the Friday run so the scenario is .... gave blood Wednesday morning and finally got out this morning so skipped two days. I did a regular 10k route in just inside 50 minutes. Probably 3 or 4 outside what I'd normally do it in and nearly 8 off personal best. Some of this is down to having recently come back to running after a heavy cold but I definitely felt heavy legged and was very dehydrated - I don't take water with me on a 10k but normally need a few gulps when I finish. This time I drained a 500ml bottle.

So I reckon a day or two off is a good thing after giving blood and not to expect to be back at peak too quickly. I'll see how it goes but I am also still recovering from the cold so that's bound to be having an effect. I'm due to go out and do 12 miles tomorrow, which wouldn't normally be an issue but I was wondering if I had it in me after the 10k ... I'll report back ....
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I found this on marathontalk (apologies if it's been posted already)

Iron Levels and donating blood

• You should certainly get well hydrated right afterwards. Think I drank about 8 cups of the juice they had for people afterwards as well as the obligatory cup of tea. It won't take long for the fluid level in you circulatory system to re-up.
  • I wouldn't advise giving blood whilst running, that could be messy
  • UluruUluru ✭✭✭

Hee hee I agree EG.

That's interesting that you got offered tea. I got duped! When I gave mine it was in a mobile van and we were told we couldn't have tea due to health and safety. image

• Very interesting reading! I will point a couple of my training buddies in the direction of this thread. I've tried 4 different times to give blood, I always fail the iron test but then when I have follow up blood tests to check for a deficiency my levels always come back normal, it's really frustrating! I will try again once the marathon is out of the way image
  • I gave blood just before Christmas. I know it always takes about 2 weeks before my running feels back to normal, and as I was due to start my VLM schedule on Jan 2nd  I thought I'd better get my donation in then!

As I was enjoying my cup of squash image afterwards, the nurse asked if i wanted to book an appointment for the next session on 16th April 2012. I said I *knew* I wouldn't be able to do that date, as I would be running the London Marathon the following Sunday which I didn't think was such a good idea!

There followed some chat around the table with other doners, one of whom asked if I was raising money for a charity. I told him I thoght I'd run for our local hospice. As this guy left, he pulled out his wallet, took out £40 and said "Put me down as your first sponsor".image and image!!

So giving blood is good in many ways, and this proves blood donors are lovely generous people!

• UluruUluru ✭✭✭

Wow, that is a nice story.

Good luck for London.

• Thank you - and yes, a great story!
  • B&T they tried the same trick on me for the 16th. I didn't explain so I probably just looked mean giving an extremely firm no.
  • Just for completeness .... did my Half on Sunday after giving blood on Thursday and running a 10k on Saturday. Took a Camelbak and drank far more than I normally would. Got round in 1h 50m which is well off PB pace but fine for a training run. I was heavy legged and a good 30s per mile off of where I would expect to be.

Not very scientific but I reckon it's fine to run within a couple of days after giving blood provided you hydrate well and don't expect to be fully on pace.
  • Weeble - you see, in future you'll have to explain why just in case someone has money burning a hole in their pocket!
  • I haven't raced yet but a month after donating a race pace run feels normal. I would have said that I was not quite 100% last week, though it may just have been the post festivities malaise!
  • I would say platelet donation is a good solution although it does take longer to donate - between 1 and 2 hours.

Platelets only have a 5 day shelf life so there is always an added pressure on supply for this reason.

Plus, as already stated in this thread there shouldn't be any effect on training as you get your red cells back. This also means you can donate every three weeks if you wish. image