Just a little bit further 2012

Comments

• Three pages of posts since I looked on here before dinner! image Such a talkative lot we are image

Managed my run. Bit cold though. 

Someone asked me about Parkrun.... but i can't remember what image.... sorry. Hope you have a good time Byeck. I'm race director tomorrow. That means I get to stand up front and talk image Am very good at doing that. 

I do have several pair of trainers.... but only two kinds. As yet I haven't been able to bring myself to throw the old ones away cos I use them for gardening or climbing trees. And I have the two new pairs that I bought the other week in the sale to keep me going all year. Brooks Adrenaline and then a pair of Inov trail shoes.

• Hi Byeck... I am here! To the rescue image

It will be fine. The organisers won't mind at all. If your friend wants to walk/jog they will happily wait until she arrives at the end and cheer her home. The whole point of parkrun is that it's for everyone.

Is it a lapped course? If so that does help cos they will see you pass on the first lap and so know that you are still persevering.

As for your 8yr old. I guess it depends on how fit she already is. My No.2 girl took quite a few weeks to build up to 5k. This was partly physical and partly mental. 3 miles i.e 30+ mins is a long way/time to run for a child of that age. But all children are different so just see how she goes. If you are walk/jog then that should be perfect for a first attempt.

If it is a lapped course then consider letting her do one lap and then judge how she is. My girls know parkrun very well and would happily wait at the finish whilst I did another lap to finish off... but again that is individual to the child/family.

• Yes, a lap course. And dad and baby brother will be there to cheer her on. She already does dancing and can easily walk the distance. I have done some speedwork with her 'coz it's more fun for me image
    Thanks chili, and enjoy being bossy!
  • chili it was me asking about parkrun and how the sweatshop parkrun shoe competition works?!?
  • gastank only problem i see is that you havnt shown the matching outfits  for them all.....i do nail varnish too sometimes.......image
  • Byeck - no probs... have fun image

Gastank, are those all your shoes? image And you are planning on getting more tomorrow?????

Ummmm, yes each parkrun nominates someone to receive a free pair of shoes each month. The race directors decide. It may be the runner that has shown most improvement, or consistency in attendance. Or volunteered lots, or shown the good 'parkrun' spirit. Or finally achieved 1st place after months of trying.

My eldest daughter was awarded the prize for being the first junior at Grovelands to gain her t-shirt. In fact, at the time she was only 8 and there was only one other junior who came along - a lad of 14. She battled through some very cold and icy Saturday mornings to gain her goal.

So there are lots of different reasons you might be awarded it. Although I think some parkruns may have an unwritten rule that the person who wins their awarded must have volunteered at least once or twice.

I haven't ever won and since I'm not one of the leaders at Gunpowder I seriously doubt I ever will!

• I never plan to buy shoes.... it just happens image

I don't own all of those, the top ones are the Asics Fuji ES I was suggesting to the boss, i may perhaps own all the others though,

.... and then there's my causal trainers in a variety of styles, which are typically like racing flats or converse, and one or two hi tops, a couple of pairs of vibrams and the list goes on and on... so tomorrow no i'm not planning to buy any shoes! i also like watches, bags, jackets and t shirts, hoodies

anyway the LM says I can't have anymore wardrobe space, so i'm negotiating with the kids presently image

• So gastank, you are ax running shops dream client then?
  • A very good morning guysimage

6.6 miles in just over 62 minutesimage

You carry on Gastank my friend only one time round mate inless of course  youre running a track raceimage

Its frosty cold out there so layers people please.

porridge to be made

have lovely morningsall

• It is certainly chilly out there. Porridge being eaten before takin a very excited daughter out running.
  • brrr, very cold! Almost glad I am gymming today. Will run tomorrow though so will have to get all the layers prepared ready.

And the bad thing about going to the gym? Scraping the ice off the car first - possibly my most hated job!

• morning all !!! brrr well done phantom on getting out-it does look very pretty out there, hope its same tomorrow as i may get pink sky againimage....

....did your cloak and superpants keep you warm?image

gastank, i have taken that very step- i have one of the 4 wardrobes miss llb has full of my....shoesimage...stilletos and shoes in every colour and design...must be 60 pairs..*hangs head*......as well as filling 2 of my own wardobes too....*hides in cupboard*

• morning mathschick. ...brr yes i will have to de-ice the car too later, miss llb back to dance school today , tap,ballet,and street dance..then a meeting at 2pm to find out all about the mardi gras team she has been out in to and what the london show thingymebob is all aboutimageexciting for her.....probably involves more money for me....lol
  • surprised youve got room in there to hideimageimage
  • mdfhrfoswaopqjojfrjfshhmmmffff *muffled talking from being squashed up against 16 coats and 20 dresses*.....image......*bang bang bang...knock knock knock*........canyouletmeoutimlockedin!!!!!!!!
  • if you put all the dresses on and all the coats over them youll make enough room to get outimage
  • *waddles out of wardobe looking like michelin man*..imageimage.........cup of tea?......*sigh*
  • making some barley soup to take to footyimage
  • Morning...

And good luck to all the parkrunners this morning.

No running for me today..got work at 2pm...leggies could do witha rest afte r6 days of runningimage

Have a good day all.

• Parkrun completed. Daughter managed 3km and friend and I got round in under 50 minutes. Waiting on final time. She was thrilled. It was very very cold.
  • thats great by'eckimage fancy a hot cup of tea and waffles?
  • i will please too !! very cold out !!image
  • nommy , yes pleaseimage....whos playing footie today phantom?
  • the mighty tottingham hotspurs image

can only admitting to that recently.the team are doing very wellimage

• have a lovely day at footy in the sun, im off to take missy to dance classes now and do dreaded shoppingimage..*crams waffle in gob*.....mfgdhjsgfsgyummyyummy...image

• have a great day and also remember when crowded shopping........elbows positioned at 90 degreesimage
  • Just back from my run image

Because I entered this half marathon on 1st April, then promptly fell ill putting a major spanner into my already ambitous schedule for it I have decided I thnk I will have to adopt a run walk strategy to get round, currently thinking maybe run 30 walk 10.  Need to get used to longer walk breaks for this, and although i'm basically better, my airways still aren't completely clear, so I only did 30 mins of 5 min (very slow run) 5 min walk,  but it was really nice out this morning, loaded up my shuffle with my fave tunes and just had some fun.

My music recommendations for you to have a listen to are Brad Paisley either working on a tan or american saturday night, really put a smile on my face when they came on, had never heard of him before I went to the states.

Well done on parkrun by eck and by eck jr.

I think our London boys gastank and phantom are a bit minted with all their kit and gadgets!!