South Downs Way 100

191011121315»

Comments

• I will of course expect you lot to turn out at the checkpoints offering your muffins up! image

• Big thank you to the volunteers, absolutely stupendous support. Don't think I've experienced better. Going to have to volunteer at one of Andys 2013 100s. In case any of you visit here, thanks to the great people I met along the way, Ash, Chris, Fiona and her pacers, Rob, the 3.30 marathoner lady at Washington - could have done with your chat about 30miles later. Don't quite know how I got there, feet sore but right foot felt like it was landing on broken glass for about 8 hours but had to run in from the cul de sac didnt I. Didnt want to do another at the finish and thought about pulling out of ND and winter 100s but now thinking about how to do better so hey ho. Only thing is, as a slammer I'm a bit ashamed of the times, wish Andy hadn't done that image

• Glad you at least enjoyed your day HowFar, but who's Andy?
  • Well done for finishing HF. Don't worry we've got five and a half weeks till we do it againimage.

I too am a slammer and fast times are really not my motivator. This series of races has the potential to be real classics and to have your name as one of the few to complete them all in the first year is amazing. Does it for me anyway.

My concern is my achilles which started hurting on the climb out of Alfriston and is still hurting now. So gunna rest it all week and see what happens.

I had that broken glass feeling during the TP100 and was determined not to get it again this time. My feet were maserated as apposed to blistered last time so i changed socks every 25 mile and used hydropel on my soles. Worked a treat only had one small blister.

• Just seen the time you got there Dill. 

Massive well done. 

It will give me a kick up the arse to improve my time in my next 100. 

A fair few people seem to have got better times in this event than they did in TP100, which I found a bit of a surprise. 

• maybe they shot off to fast in the TP and died later ?

I've put some photos on the Centurion Running facebook page

• Thanks Ben. I had the perfect race by my standards.

Training, Nutrition, Hydration all went to plan and i managed to sort my feet this time so I will certainly find it hard to better that performance.

I had a fair bit of hip pain during the race but that was managable.

The main difference i found was that i could implement my walk the hills and run everything else strategy whereas at the TP i needed to have a run/walk strategy based in time. Which of course i didn't and also as Dips said we all shot off too fast because it was easy running and was knackered before 50.

Good to see you at the end but didn't get chance to sample any of your food. Was sick of food by the finish. Are you in the NDW100?

• I can't do NDW100 this year because it is too close to Lakeland. 

I will sign up for the Winter 100 in the very probably event that I don't get a place in the Piece of String Fun Run!

• Well first little run since our wander around the Downs and signs are reasonably good, just did a easy three miles to see where I was with my legs and they're not too bad at all.

• Good on ya Li. I would love to get out but going to rest some more. I'm worried about my achilles tendon. Hope it's just over sretched.

Promised myself i'll wait at least till the weekend before i try any sort of run.

Nice one Ben on Lakeland defo on my hit list just not this year.. Will see you at the W100 instead.

• You've got good reason to rest up mate, you have to do it all again in a few weeks, I don't have anything planned now until La Frontera. Hopefully I'll manage to swop a day off at work so I can come down to the NDW and work an aid station, will see how it goes

• Lirish..come and join us! image

• Dips if you bring muffins I'll be thereimage
  • I'll see what I can do image

• i think i'll be losing a toenail but I can't wait any longer i'm running again today - just a short one to shake out the legs. its devil o' the highlands next for me and on an aid staion at NDW100 - i think i'll be at Bluebell Hill so hope to see some of you

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    In my best American accent... hell yeah, you rock!

Well done image

I didn't set off sweeping til about 9:30 so didn't get to say hello but did check your progress at each aid station.
  • I like your chances of a sub 24 next time cragchick. 

Most people struggle with pacing themselves effectively in their first 100, so substantial improvements can be made on a second and third attempt. 

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I didn't set off til later cragchick, did offer to help out at the start but thy had enough hands and I wanted to get some good miles running in as well. Sounds like a really great day though, do you remember the number of the guy you were with early on? I picked up a guy whilst  i was sweeping at about 40 miles and was with him until Washington. His family were crewing him and they were offering to feed me when I was wandering along with him. He was number 40. Unfortunately looks like he dropped at Washington.

Will keep an eye out for you doing a sub 24 100 miler soon image

Can't wait for this next year, have already told James to put me down as I get an entry for putting in over 8 hours vounteer time over the weekend.

• Cragchick - was there t shirts for finishers? If there was I missed them.
  • Gee Bee if you e mail James I'm sure he'll sort out one for you
  • amazing cragchick well done, great write up aswell . you should indeed wear your t-shirt with pride .image