South Downs Way 100

Comments

• morticiamorticia ✭✭✭

That's AAAAAAAAGGGGGES Cragchick! image

Baseball boots?! And people told me I had 'silly' shoes on the other day! Hope you get some training in this fortnight. It's much easier when you only have one 15 year old who is glad to get rid of you for a few hours image

Lirish- Have a great time in Connemara. I did the marathon a few years back and loved the scenic views AND with it being on tarmac you could actually look around and appreciate it without risk of tripping up image

Dill- Your weekend sounds like it will be a good one too! Will be interested to read your recce report.

I for some unknown reason thought it would be a good idea to do Hull Marathon this weekend ....image

• My kids are 5 and 7 and they would love to get rid if me for a few hours, but there's something niggling away in my mind that stops me from leaving them in the house on their own. Got my train ticket today to get down to winchester. Looks like the cheap tickets have become available today for the 29th June.
  • I'm away in wales visitinf family for easter my running gear arrived with me some how so off along the pembrokeshire coastline for a little jaunt image hope everyone has a good easter weekend of training.
  • I'm going down from tyneside. Going to get the train down, b&b in winchester, and get the train back from eastbourne on Sunday afternoon.
  • Message up on the event website; the route has been changed to the SDW bridleway from Alfriston to Eastbourne so no Seven Sisters and no Beachy Head, which is a real shame.

Cheers - Raymond

• I like the route change.  I cant see myself appreciating the scenery of seven sisters after 100 miles.  A bit shorter and a bit flatter is fine with me.

Are people planning to carry a map of the route with them? 

• Already gotten the Harveys map of the route, well laid out and extremely easy to read, plan to continue my recces this weekend and make any adjustments straight onto the map
  • morticiamorticia ✭✭✭

I was initially disappointed about the route change but I don't think I'll be that bothered either on the day.

And anyway, those of us staying in Eastbourne afterwards can go for a recovery run along the coast the next day image 

Shall I start a list?

Recovery run 20 miles along to Seven Sisters and back

cragchick
    Raymond
    GeeBee
    Lirish........  

• I would love to but my train is Sunday afternoon. Damn.
  • I agree with Morticia...having recce'd this part of the route 2 weeks ago am slightly disappointed that it has now changed, but come race day and after 90-odd miles I will not be too sorry to not have the ups and downs of the coast to deal with image

I would also agree with Lirish. The Harvey's map is excellent and definitely worth having on race day.  I was a sweeper at the TP100 earlier this year and found 3 lost runners on the course at night who had simply got a little lost and panicked and were going in completely the wrong direction...and none of them had a map!  They lost well over an hour because of this, one was too shattered to go on and the other two had to go quicker than they would have liked at that point of the race to make the cut-off at halfway...for the sake of a little extra weight a map is a must have! 

• I will be marshaling at this event, so I will likely see most of you there. 
  • Oh dear my recce weekend was a disaster.

Had to work Friday to catch up on paperwork. Booo.

Was then going to drive to the downs Saturday in my camper and run 25 mile Sunday and 25 Monday.

Ooops. Went to pub after work Friday for a couple of shandys and ended up getting in at 2am rather worse for wear. Hungover so bad Saturday couldn't drive anywhere plus major ear bashing about not being 18 any more? Well 38 is similar to 18, isn't it?

Managed 25 mile Sunday, but 2 laps of Bewl water rather than anywhere near the downs.

Monday was a total washout so only went out for a quick 8 miler.

Hmm, must do betterimage

• Best laid plans and all that Dill image
  • Dill, glad to see that im not the only borderline alcoholic attempting to train for this run.
  • Many ultra runners are borderline alcoholics!

It is all part of the same rich psychological tapestry. 

• I blame the Sambucas! I was fine untill we started on the bloody Sambucas!!!image

• Addictive personality!

Booze, running, food, work, caffeine.

I need them all!!!image

• morticiamorticia ✭✭✭
    I enjoy the occasional pint of stella. Should I be trying harder?
  • I would leave work out of that.
  •  Stella! Now that is a rocky road!image
  • morticiamorticia ✭✭✭
    I also have 2 spoons of coffee per cup and having given up smoking last year, I am now addicted to my electronic cigarette. I will go add more alcohol to my training plan image
  • I keep telling my wife it's the sambuca's fault. She never believes me !! Just tutts and pulls that face and saying "how far was it again 100 miles." getting the email today made it a bit more real 9 weeks of training left before taper down so no more beer for me maybe the odd glass of wine as a treat tho image
  • morticiamorticia ✭✭✭
    Lingster- The email had that effect on me as well. I was thinking that the end of june was ages off but then you count the weeks and it suddenly becomes a lot closer!
  • Don't worry. 

I will be crewing near to the finish line, so I will be able to use the toe end of my boot to motivate you, if necessary!

If you tell me what your favourite drink/snack addiction is, I will try to have it ready at or near to the finish line!

• morticiamorticia ✭✭✭
    Ooh that would be great Ben! image Must be hard work crewing near the end of such a long race and at that time of day?!
  • Hi all

has anyone booked there accomadation yet for the friday night in winchester and if so where ? Looking to book somewhere thought it would be good to book the same as others and maybe meet up for evening meal.

• ive been looking aswell.  Not having much luck at reasonable prices, but have been considering enquiring about the university accomadation that it appears may be available.