Great South Run 2012

Comments

• Fair point Joe.  Sorry Karlsp, but I'm gonna dig out my Elmer Fudd costume - knew it would come in handy some time !!

• I have still got a cold image not really been able to run for the last 2 weeks.. I really hope that I will feel OK on Sunday..

• Hi all,

First time running the GSR.

How bad does the traffic get in and out of Portsmouth? Was thinking of getting the train down but due to rail works this seems to be rather long winded.

I was thinking it might be quicker to drive down to somewhere like Havant and then get the train in from there, and hopefully get the best of both worlds, avoiding the worst of the traffic and rail works.

Anyone tried this before?

Cheers Neil

• Not long to go now. Didn't manage my 10 mile training run on Sunday as I was not feeling well (read hungover) but I busted out a 9 miler the week before so I should be able to do it. Is anyone staying at Portsmouth and Southsea Backpackers on Saturday night?

• Brilliant news about Kelly Holmes being the official starter!

• Neil,

In my experience (I have done this race 3 times in the last 4 years) the traffic is OK.  Sort of.  I tend to fly down the A3, turn onto ther Eastern Road and get about 2 miles from Southsea Common (at about 8.15) and stop dead.  Then I crawl the rest of the way to Southsea Common which takes about 30/45 mins.  It keeps moving - it's just slow.  I park on the Common, which traditionally takes AN AGE to get out of, but I tend to meet up with friends after the race, go into the town for a bite to eat and some 're-hydration', and by then the traffic has subsided and it's an easy run back the way I came from.  Hope that helps a bit.

• I've managed to acquire accommodation at a uni house of a friend of a friend. Apparently they have initiations the Saturday night, god help me.
  • Super Moo - my info regarding trains is that there is a bus replacement service between Barnham and Cosham, so there would be no trains from Havant image

If you are driving from the Horsham area perhaps you could give me a liftimage

• Hi all! A bit concerned re. info from Clatters and stopping dead within 2 miles of the common... We were planning on a couple of hours drive from north east London, and arriving just before 9am, but would we then get down to the common in time to beat the road closures at 9:45am???

• Hi all. This is my second GSR. I didn't realise how heartening it would be to read a forum and know that others are experiencing the same heady mix of trepidation and excitement!

My experience with parking on the Common last year was nowhere near as bad as expected. Obviously, you need to be prepared to hang around, but I'd advise taking a while to bask in your achievement, ride the endorphin wave and get your complimentary massage.

I've recently become a Dad for the first time so my training has been sporadic but overall pretty good (jinx!). Limiting myself to an hour but managing to get 8 miles in and feeling strong at the end so I'm hoping for a good time.

I was amazed last year at the enthusiasm of the Portsmouth folk; standing in the wind and drizzle to cheer on strangers is no small undertaking and it really does make a difference when battling the final stretch of wind (oops, forgot to keep the secret!).

Good luck everyone.

• If planning on driving close and getting the train, try Cosham instead of Havant.  I have no idea of engineering works but it is on a different line......

If planning on driving all the way into Portsmouth, instead of using the Eastern Road, carry on past the Eastern Road junction and down the M275 into the centre of town.

Park up in one of the town centre car parks and then walk to the start - probably 15-20 mins walk but you will benefit from being able to get away pretty easily.

oh and one more thing, if you are in the green wave it seems that the race day maps a re wrong, you will not be lining up as the map suggests (which will have most of you stood in flower beds) but along avenue de caen as in previous years

hope this helps

• @Jonathan, I'm assuming that you'll also have to negotiate the M25 (not easy at any time of day) as well as Southsea. I come a similar way from Essex, I'd recommend giving yourself 3 hours. If you get a nice run, you'll get some time to prepare and enjoy the pre race buzz.

• Cant be doing with traffic before a race...so ive booked a hotel for the Friday & Saturday night. Will be good to actually get to watch the Saturday races, and see things from the other side of the fence for a changeimage Darn room-mate has whimped out and wont be coming, so i now have to fork out for a twin room to myself, and figure out how to get my fancy dress on by myself !
  • Last (gentle) club run tonight, just for a bit of a sweat & some mobility. Got some final encouraging comments from the crew. Now some final sorting out of travel arrangements, and I suppose time'll fly by and the next thing I know I'll be standing at the start line thinking existential thoughts like 'why am I here?', 'what am I doing?'.......

• Karlsp - Just a thought but with my transport problem I'd feel easier about staying the saturday night in Portsmouth so if you don't mind having a fairy for company maybe I could use the empty twin bed (crossing your palm with silver of courseimage). I could also help you with your costume and you could help with my wings!  Please message me at /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gifaul_singerg@msn.com]paul_singerg@msn.com 

I have started my jellybaby tapering before sundayimage Half price was too good to be true and I have been close to an overdose!  Elbow and knee battered, bruised and bloody but ok for running, thank goodnessimage

• Haha good to hear it GF! Left my bags of Jelly Babies at work in the drawer to stop me munching at home!

WJD - went for my final one this evening too! Kind of anxious now but also a little exctied image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi all,

last run this morning and twisted my ankle image lots of rest/ice before run on sunday image

• Hey Paul, I have no problem whatsoever with sharing the room. Seems a shame to let it go to waste to be honest. Ill message you with my mobile number and you can give me a bell Saturday.. Im going to be around Southsea all day Saturday watching the 5k, and junior and mini runs, and sampling the races from the "other"side of the fenceimage

By the way...Jelly Babies Rock ! Although im trying to cut down too ;-p Will try not to kill any at the GSR, predominantly because eating with a bunny head on isnt easy !

Oh no Emmy, thats not good..I went for a gentle jog last night and ended up doing a sub 44 minute 10k....Duh ! I still blame my regular running partner for whimping out this weekend, usually id have been out with him last night, and going much slower...

Oh well 2 days to recover, and im going to take the positives from my training run. A 10k at that speed, in the dark, around a town, on the side of hill, must mean im getting a heck of a lot fitterimage
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

All - just to confirm - meet up for anyone that wants to: 10am outside of the pyramid. I'll probably be wearing a union jack vest and look for the ginger one image I'll be with an older lady that may look a lot like me....

• Will try to get there, not sure if that will leave me time to get in my start pen though as im the orange, and will need to allow time for a quick visit to the gents, as its not an easy mission in my costume. Maybe we could try for 9.45am ??...Ill be the the one that looks rather like Bugs Bunny and may be accompanied by a Green Fairy image
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

OK, so we'll have a spice girl, bugs bunny and a green fairy...I feel this could turn into some sort of jokeimage

I'm not sure when we're arriving but i'll need several pees, a cup of coffee and general mulling aroundimage

• Must admit i normally do the several pees thing..Not practical this year though, might have to keep the morning coffee to one cup, and rethink the costume, to insert a zip ;-p
  • weather is not looking that good anymore.. 3-5 degrees, maybe a little bit rain.. not that windy though, 7-10 mph.. 

• Hello all. New to the forum and not very IT literate so apologies if in the wrong place. Doing GSR on Sunday for the first time and planning on getting train to Fratton (nearest station apparently); but first train I can get doesn't arrive there until about 0905 and the got the 20+? minute walk to start area; AND will also have a bag to put into the bag drop, since I will be on my lonesome. Am I taking too much of a risk with these arrangements from a timing (and bag security) point of view? And will the train back in fact be totally chokker? Grateful for any pearls of wisdom out there. Thanks in advance!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Joe T - 09.05 should give you plenty of time to walk there and drop evreything off.

Regarding bag security - you're only allowed into the centre with a number so you'll be fine to drop off the bag (there's normally a couple of muscular men guarding the entry).

We found that the train back wasnt too bad at all last year but it depends on which train you choose etc.

Enjoy the race and if you're around the bag drop (pyramid centre) at 10am - come and say hello to us image

• Joe, where are you getting the train from? just thinking about the engineering work this weekend... image

• Hi Joe, i think trains will be busy, but where u coming from ? There are issues on the line from Waterloo (Please be aware that trains from Waterloo via Haselmere will be seriously disrupted due to engineering works all day on Sunday 28 October.)

If you do arrive at 9.05 thats plenty of time to walk up and drop off baggage, but just make sure you have yourself ready.
  • Thanks for the advice Emmy_H. I haven't got a particularly long train ride (Winchester) but an hour in a proverbial cattle truck would still not be pleasant after the run! And knowing the "reliability" of our public transport system, my arrival/departure times will be anyone's guess!!  But I shall go with the flow; I suppose worst case scenario, I just arrive late and just start running; ha ha!

• Thanks for other replies also; obviously my computer illiteracy and slowness means I am replying to one response whilst others are kindly offering additional advice!  (Perhaps that is what you get though for being on a forum thread when you are supposed to be working!!) Thanks to all in advance for any furture replies (just to cover myself!!)

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Dont worry about levels of literacy Joe - you're more than welcome to ask questions. Everyone's very friendly here!