Great South Run 2012

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all, just wanted to give a summary for anyone lurking, looking in etc.

Trains: as long as you're in Portsmouth by 10am, you'll be fine. It's a 15 min walk from Pompey central. Just follow the large crowd of runners.

Weather: it looks to be cold so dress appropriately. This includes afterwards. You will cool down VERY quickly so put some clothes in the bag drop and get changed quick. Wear something you can discard at the start. I wear a old bin bag as it keeps the heat in - an old jumper works well too.

Clothes: dress appropriately and don't wear anything new that you're not convinced of.

Bag drop: it's in the pyramid centre. It's secure to the extent that you can you can only get in if you're a runner. As always - don't leave valuables.

Meet up: 10am outside pyramid centre. I'll try to be there as near to 10 as I can. At the moment I'm wearing thermal tights, two tshirts and a blue gilet... With a white Amsterdam bag on it to start and throw away.

Timing: take it EASY and leave something in your tank for the last 2 miles.

Have a fantastic run if we don't see each other and let us know how you get on!
  • Ditto all the advice ..... Just enjoy the day folks !! I will try and meet up at 10 - can't be too difficult to spot a Green Fairy, Bugs Bunny and an Amsterdam bag all in the same place !! If not, then again, just enjoy the day and look forward to hearing about your experiences .....
  • Just walked the prom into the wind and yes. Glad m doing fancy dress tomorrow now.
  • Thanks to everyone who posted hints, tips, and advice.

• Just been to see the new James Bond film, if he can survive all thats thrown at him, then a little wind along the seafront is nothing, good luck all.
  • Bond had it easy he didn't have that westerly wind
  • 8 hours sleep here we come.

I'd rather get there at 10am than 9:45 if poss, but the pack we were sent says get there before 10 or you may have to join the back!?

Anyone got any experience with this? I'm in orange wave so I won't have to wait around as long as some. But still, 45 mins in the blistering cold isn't cool!
  • I'm orange and getting to pyramids by 9.45 just look for my ears
  • Did a nice little jog yesterday and though cold it was wonderful - crisp and sunny. Looking out the window this morning it's cloudy, but not too bad. Yes, wooly underpants for me I think.

Emmy's advice is spot on. Sorry to heart about the ankle Emmy - hope its OK for today. And well done on the pb at Amsterdam. I did that one and it was my fastest marathon - it's a good flat course. I know what you mean about it being uninspiring - it doesn't exactly go through the best parts of Amsterdam does it!

I'm driving in early with two others, parking in the main car park, and then going for breakfast in Wetherspoons. Will be returning there for drinks and a spot of lunch afterwards!

• How did everyone get on?

Apart from freezing my xxxxx off before the start, all good for me, have never run sub 65 before and still haven't (well not officially), 65:43 by my watch, but I ran 10.15m, seems that not running "racing line" has cost me. Hey no, more than happy anyway, now relaxing in a hot bath with a coffee, beer o clock in a bit....
  • Came in at 1:19:18 which was just below the 1:20 I wanted to beat! So quite chuffed.

Struggled a bit from 7th mile with a stitch and then as always with the sprint the the finish I put the icing on the cake with a big wretch. Thankfully no jelly babies revisited me.

Come on everyone! Let us know how you did! Really enjoyed today image
  • My watch also said 10.15 Harry !!  I was pleased with my 1:16:36, which is a PB for me.  (I was quietly wanting 1:15, but I'm happy!).  Saw Bugs Bunny (Karl) at about 6.5, but no one else that I 'knew'.  Fine running conditions once we got going, good supporters - all in all an enjoyable day.  Same time next year chaps and chapesses ?????

• Well done everyone who ran today! If you fancy another coastal 10 mile, why not give the Thanet 10 a try in December? Another flat course, potentially fast (dependent on the weather of course!) -

http://www.thanetroadrunners.org.uk/events/thanet-coastal-10?q=thanet-10mile-2012

Hope to see some of you there!!

• 1:34 for me, which I was pleased about  especially as this was my first timed run. Fantastic atmosphere and excellent running conditions (not too cold, wet or windy). I'm typing this one handed with my 21 month old daughter asleep in my other arm.. She was awake at 5am.. Hope everyone had a great day! Sorry I missed everyone at Pyramids. Seemed to chaos there at 10am.

• Once got moving (& hence warmed up) it was a great day did 1:33:55 which whilst not in the great range was a PB by over 5 mins so well chuffed with that, hope everyone got round without any injuries.

• I know what you mean. Luckily I was at the start of green wave, so got moving fairly quickly (still typing single handed with daugher asleep). No injuries here thankfully.

• you must have been pretty close to me Joe, i finished in 1:19:28, not bad considering i think i must have broken the world hi-5ing record on the way round...What amazing support for the "bunny".... I think i started too far back in the wave though, (thanks to the carnage of a baggage area) and ended up falling over people for the first 2-3 miles. What is it with people walking at mile 2 after starting in orange though.....grrrrr
  • Hey Clatters great time you finished with, i got so hot i slowed down a fair bit in the last 3 miles, but had lots of fun on the way !
  • Greet to meet GF & Emmy, shame i couldnt say hello properly, but by the time i got my baggage stowed,it was a quick stop in the gents and off..
  • well it was my first run and i did 1.44.52 really wanted 1.45 and thought i would get 1.50 so am over the moon. as beening my run. jus didn't like people pushing past that should b in white wave or enevn maybe green and the water bottle on road were a nightmare!!!

• Just got back home and really pleased with the time of 1.23 - really would like to have been under 1.20, but took 7 1/2 mins off last year's time! Sorry I couldn't find anyone but I was there at 10.00 - Karlsp were you the rabbit - if so I did see you but hadn't been able to access smart phone overnight so not sure what people were wearing etc! As you say it was a quick change and then to the orange wave for me as well.

Thanks Emmy for the forum thread - when are you setting up next year's one!

Well done everyone - great support from spectators as wellimage

• 1:37:57 for me.. Was hoping for 1:35 before I caught a cold as I have done it in training but after 3 weeks with a blocked nose and sore throat I thought 1:40 was ok.. So I'm happy!! The last 3 miles were so hard!! Definitely doing it again though, want to do a half marathon next!
  • Seems like a good mix of results. Many thanks Emmy for the thread.You have brought so many people together. Anyone in Portsmouth up for the Ghost Race on Friday (five miles of terror. It starts at the Mountbatten Centre around 6pm if I remember rightly. The race is organised by fitprob Believe and Achieve. If anyones interested, let me know and post the link on here.

PS. Writing this with both hands.... Both children in bed.... Bliss!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

now that was blimming windy for those last 2 miles.

And how many people blag their way into a zone they shouldn't be anywhere near!

In the yellow zone was stacks of people who wouldn't get close to sub 60, let alone the sub 58 they should be!

Great race though, epic feel, tv, everyone should do a huge race every so often.

• Hey Jelley, yes i was Bugs !

Baggage i thought was a nightmare and needs rethinking. Especially on cold days, so many people sat in there we couldnt get in the door, and by the time we did i had to run to get in the start zone. That area simply is not big enough to cope with the baggage needs of 15000 runners, let alone a larger number.

Completely lost my pacing friend who was going to be my eyes and ears, and struggled in the first 2-3 miles trying to get around very very slow runners. (No offense to the slower runners intended but honestly if you start at the front of the orange zone, and are walking within 2 miles then you are going to get bumped around).

Have to say though the crowd were absolutely amazing. Personally i thought the crowd here were even better than at the GNR !! They roared me round the course, and i think there is a chance I broke the "Hi-5s by one wabbit in one day" world recordimage
  • Haha I was pacing with you near the 7th-8th Karl. The crowd was all like "bugs! Bugs!" I however was suffering with stitch. I then tried eating a jelly baby but couldn't stomach it so had to spit it out image
  • First time at the GSR and it was fab, think I got 1:54 which I'm really happy about. I haven't run 10 miles in over a year and I did it without stopping so I'm really pleased. It's made me determined to keep running a long distance on a Sunday now image Despite the cold weather I really enjoyed the race, I've been really impressed with the Bupa Great Run series this year (London 10K and GSR), there are always tons of facilities plus the goodie bag wasn't too bad (not keen on the tshirt though). It was a bit of a mission for me to get to from London so I'm not sure I'd do it again but I would definitely recommend it to some in the south who wants to do a 'big' 10mile race.

• WalkJogDave wrote (see)

Anyone else getting the train that gets into Pompey at 9-15am?

What a numpty! (i.e. me.) That train was seriously rammed from soon after Eastleigh. SW Trains need to have a look into this for next year, with more frequent services or longer trains.

Otherwise a pretty good first GSR for me, being just over a 10min/mile pace oversll with even a bit of a kick at the end. Batala drummers needed on every stretch though, please.

• Karlsp - was good to spend time with you yesterday and today.  Staying in Portsmouth overnight certainly made the morning less stressful.  Really glad you enjoyed your baptism in 'comic' running, the crowds are great.  Maybe the cold kept a few 'neutrals' indoors but generally the support was good again.

Met up with Emma and her Mum in Green Wave, hope you both did well.  Didn't meet up with Julia T until she was in the queue for the hovercraft after the race!  Had kept looking for her during the race and was convinced she was in front of me (I had started waaaaayyyy back) so kept foot on accelerator a bit hoping to catch her up.  This did mean a faster time for me than intended but I felt reasonably comfortable and finished in 1:51:50 which I would have been delighted with before I started training.

Thankfully the weather was kind except for the chilly start.  Found the breeze in last 2 miles refreshingimage

I am now the owner of a commemorative race tshirt which appears to have been made with tissue paper...............................................image

Trains were a nightmare for getting home.  Enginneering works spoiling a good day out.  Can't the railway people leave the GSR weekend free of works?  Or at least the sunday?

Well done everyone and seems that everyone enjoyed it, which I believe is what it's all about.

• According to results page there were 17036 finishers.  Out of 25000 entries..............