Options

Great South Run 2012

Comments

• Options
    Does anyone know how long it normally takes before they upload the photos?
  • Options

Another for a distance of 10.15 miles. 1h28m25s for me. Last two miles were brilliant, over taking people by the bucket load, and even managed a sprint finish. As I went over the line the guy on the tannoy said that the finishers were the tail end of the white wave with the green wave starting to finish which was surprising as I must have been about two thirds of the way back at the start of the green wave.

Accidently ended up parking on the common after following someone that looked like they knew where they were going. Was aiming for one of the car parks further away.

Does anyone know if the finishing position for the chip time is for wave or across all competitors?

Thanks to all for advice given in this thread image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Karlsp wrote (see)
    Hey Jelley, yes i was Bugs !
    Baggage i thought was a nightmare and needs rethinking. Especially on cold days, so many people sat in there we couldnt get in the door, and by the time we did i had to run to get in the start zone. That area simply is not big enough to cope with the baggage needs of 15000 runners, let alone a larger number.

We were inside and there was literally plenty of room but everyone was stuck by the door. It was a total of 25,000 runners and I think they had it right but just not enough time for the people coming in during the last 45 mins before the race.

WalkJogDave wrote (see)
    WalkJogDave wrote (see)

Anyone else getting the train that gets into Pompey at 9-15am?

What a numpty! (i.e. me.) That train was seriously rammed from soon after Eastleigh. SW Trains need to have a look into this for next year, with more frequent services or longer trains

We've mentioned this EVERY year to the organisers and SWT themselves but with no action or response. It was one of the reasons that we took the car this year as we were crammed in like sardines last year and the train ran 30 mins late.

The Green Fairy wrote (see)
    Met up with Emma and her Mum in Green Wave, hope you both did well.  ....

I am now the owner of a commemorative race tshirt which appears to have been made with tissue paper...............................................image

Trains were a nightmare for getting home.  Enginneering works spoiling a good day out.  Can't the railway people leave the GSR weekend free of works?  Or at least the sunday?

It was lovely to meet you, too! We struggled with the car as well - getting in was easy but leaving was a shambles - 2 hrs 30 just to get out of pompey and there were some right assholes on the road image I made it home with enough time just to grab my stuff and drive to dover. I made it with 4 minutes to spare.... and I'm sure my baby wipe wash was not enoughimage

All in all - the day was great for me - I just supported everyone I could talk to! Slapped kids hands, helped others who were struggling. My mum was one of them. We knew that her arthritis was hurting her so we took it very slow - I was just suprised how slow image It was quite shocking to realise that your parents are growing old. She walked most of it with little spurts of running whilst I was just tried to encourage her the best I could.  She's not sure if she'll be running it next year and with the traffic issues we've had every year - i'm not sure if I'll do it either.... am a little downhearted today I'm afraid!

Taking the t-shirt out of the package - I'm wondering where on earth they get their sizing from! It's another one for the 'work around the house' pile. VERY disappointed with the t-shirt size and quality.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    clarinho wrote (see)
    Does anyone know how long it normally takes before they upload the photos?

It's normally 48 hours but you'll receive an email with the link.

• Options

Green fairy. I had noticed that there were only 17000 finishers out of 25000. Seems to have been quite a few not finished, or maybe finished after a 'cut off' time perhaps! Hopefully there'll be some good photos on the website!

• Options

Just picking up on a couple of negative comments about the t-shirts, I wonder if they had different suppliers or batch problems. Mines fine, and very well proportioned. Even wearing it for work today image 

I'll report back after it sees the washing machine.

(This compares with the shirt for the Eastleigh 10k this year, which was heavy, undersized, vile green, and went straight into the bin.)

• Options

The trains were bad last year as well. I took the 8.10 from Fareham and it was really busy - despite being the earlier train and then in the afternoon I took the train to S'hampton at 2.30 ish and had to stand all the way!

Stevie G . wrote (see)

And how many people blag their way into a zone they shouldn't be anywhere near!

In the yellow zone was stacks of people who wouldn't get close to sub 60, let alone the sub 58 they should be!

When I entered I put 1.20 as a finishing time and was (to my surprise) put in the orange wave - finished in 1.23 so not too far out of what I anticipated, so perhaps the times alter in the waves depending on how many people enter initially? Just guessing....

Hope everyone's not too  stiff this morning, I've some pilates this morning which was nice to stretch out those muscles and now don't have to work till this afternoon as I swapped a shift (otherwise it's up at 5.45 Monday mornings normally). Might just have a watch of the recording of yesterdays run........image

Enmmy = hope your mum is ok today - she did really well to get through it!

• Options

David, M, I was really hoping to do the Ghost race but have no babysitter, the races organised by Rob Piggott are always good, and the ghost medal looks good (he put a picture on facebook).

My T-shirt was ok, it will go in a pile with all the otherts,

I had a short walk to gosport ferry and then a short walk home, for those that had trouble with getting out of pompey maybe look at gosport next time and getting the ferry over? I suppose it depends where you are coming from in terms of whats easier though.

I have entered for next year already, for those that would like a flat race gosport half marathon is on the 18th november,my next race!

• Options
    I really enjoyed yesterday. I was in the white wave and ran 1hr 15. I was hoping for 1 20. It was little frustrating as people who were in the orange wave and going slow and catching them and having to weave through them. Have signed up for Brighton half in Feb and going to attempt sub 90.
  • Options
    Also i took my car and parked in gun wharf. I know it's a bit of a walk but was cheaper than a train i paid ??8. It also has good places to get some good after.
  • Options
    I really enjoyed yesterday. I was in the white wave and ran 1hr 15. I was hoping for 1 20. It was little frustrating as people who were in the orange wave and going slow and catching them and having to weave through them. Have signed up for Brighton half in Feb and going to attempt sub 90.
  • Options
    good luck quinn, sub 90 is going some. Ive not managed it yet,but im getting quicker (unless im being a bunny)....Ive only got down to 1:32 so far, butwould love to go sub 90. Unfortunately im getting older though and probably past my prime so i need to do it soon. Will be going up another age category soon !
  • Options
    Gosport is a great shout for anyone that wants a fast Half.

Sadly i have to miss out this year (daughters wedding the following week, so stag night the night before), which is probably a good thing as i really need to rest what I suspect to be a sports hernia.

Had trouble doing core week for the last 4-5 weeks now, and it isnt getting any better, so i think its time to chill a little, slow my training pace, and recuperate. Oh, guess id best visit the doc too, and see if i can get a scan done to find the problem.

Next race for me is the Tough Guy at the end of January, so will start training for that come first week in December.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

A lot of people I spoke to mentioned about people being in the wrong pens. It's something that they need to sort out (e.g. you cant be in that pen unless you have a 'proven' time at a previous race). They do that at a lot of the other 10 milers.

I was OK in green being the slow ass of the pack but i admit seeing so many people walking from 2 miles was very discouraging.

@Jelley - thanks for asking. Mum is really sore this morning image She's taking lots of painkillers but she's definitely not right.

• Options
    quinndamian wrote (see)
    I really enjoyed yesterday. I was in the white wave and ran 1hr 15. I was hoping for 1 20. It was little frustrating as people who were in the orange wave and going slow and catching them and having to weave through them.

What did you put in your entry time though? 1.20 got me into the orange wave?

quinndamian wrote (see)

Karlsp wrote (see)

Unfortunately im getting older though and probably past my prime so i need to do it soon. Will be going up another age category soon !

Don't panic Karlsp - I turned 50 this year and knocked 7 1/2 mins of last year's time.Maybe I'm a bit like cheese getting better with age image Although I wasn't dressed as a bunny.............good luck for the HM challenge!

• Options

I was in my allocated pen, and it might have been me, but I didnt see any guidance on where to stand within that pen for any particular pace (just one very agitated steward with too many people to herd).

And was the runner with the baby buggy 'legal'? (just asking)

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    WalkJogDave wrote (see)

And was the runner with the baby buggy 'legal'? (just asking)

Yep. I had the same question about the american footballer with the wheelbarrowimage They needed permission from the organiser.

The girl with the dog said that she had bought her dog an entry - and the organisers had no issue with it

• Options
    Agreed Dave, there werent any sort of guidelines within the pen. I know of starting right behind the elites who ended up running 1:20s ! Im glad I was running this one for fun, and dont think i will ever do it as a PB attempt. I started in the back quarter of the orange pen, and very quickly regretted it. Bad enough trying to weave in and out at the best of times, but in a costume where you have no peripheral version it was tough going. I tried to be as polite as possible, always making hand signals to indicate when i was trying to pull across, but apologies to the half dozen or so individuals that i did bump. All were fine except one young lady who forcibly tried to push bunny two handed across the road...Shameful treatment to animals ;-p
  • Options
    I think I put 1 45 when i signed up. But that was cause i was 4st heavier back then. As i trained i realised i was a bit faster but was to late to change wave
  • Options
    quinndamian wrote (see)
    I think I put 1 45 when i signed up. But that was cause i was 4st heavier back then. As i trained i realised i was a bit faster but was to late to change wave

Don't think you can really blame the organisors for putting you in white with that time, I think white is roughly 1:30 to 1:50.

• Options
    WalkJogDave wrote (see)

Just picking up on a couple of negative comments about the t-shirts, I wonder if they had different suppliers or batch problems. Mines fine, and very well proportioned. Even wearing it for work today image 

I'll report back after it sees the washing machine.

(This compares with the shirt for the Eastleigh 10k this year, which was heavy, undersized, vile green, and went straight into the bin.)

I've got mine on too - nice fit, and dare I say it.. Smart. Again, I'll see how it looks after a wash.

• Options
    Zoe Windsor wrote (see)

David, M, I was really hoping to do the Ghost race but have no babysitter, the races organised by Rob Piggott are always good, and the ghost medal looks good (he put a picture on facebook).

My T-shirt was ok, it will go in a pile with all the otherts,

I had a short walk to gosport ferry and then a short walk home, for those that had trouble with getting out of pompey maybe look at gosport next time and getting the ferry over? I suppose it depends where you are coming from in terms of whats easier though.

I have entered for next year already, for those that would like a flat race gosport half marathon is on the 18th november,my next race!

Zoe, I must admit, my wife wasn't too happy when I entered the Ghost Race as it means she is looking after both kids at their bed times. I must admit, I am tempted by the Gosport half marathon - just need to get round my wife first. To be fair, I haven't quite ran that distance yet, but after yesterdays decent run, another 3 miles cant be too painful.

• Options

My friend's 5K time says NA, does anyone have an idea why..?

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Clarinho - could be many things: chip time needs verification, chip didnt work at that point, your friend didnt run over the mat, etc.

• Options

I lurked in this thread prior to the event, and it was great to get some last-minute tips from it, particularly regarding clothing !!  So thanks for that.  I wore loads of spare kit which I discarded at the start.  I arrived at about 0830 hrs via the coach transfer so walked up and down a lot to keep warm!

I didn't bring a drop bag though, so just made sure I got back to the coach sharpish after the finish, but even so, I REALLY enjoyed a hot bath when I got home!

This was my first ten mile race.  Previously, I've just done a handful of 10ks, but I do a lot of football refereeing where I will run 10k at a variety of speeds during a game.  I did two 15k training runs leading up to it as a sanit check though.

I came in at 1h24 which I am happy with, as sub 90 was my target.  Crowds certainly got me round!

I'll definitely do it again next year, and perhaps be in the Orange wave next time! (I was in the white wave, I think I put 1h30 as my anticipated finish time).

• Options
    Doug2Doug2 ✭✭✭

1st ever Great South Run - Great day, great support and a great time too - 1.45.18 so just 18seconds off of target image

I know that everyone said about the last 2 miles being an absolute b*****d and now I know why image . Next year I'll know better !

• Options

The T-shirt is exactly the same as the Great North Run one, and that has (so far) lasted at least 2 times in my washing machine !!!

What wind in the last 2 miles ??!!!!  We tried to warn people about it - but as it happened I was expecting the worst and I thought it wasn't too bad yesterday - I've had worse !!!

I've just signed up what will be my 5th GSR in 2013 !! 

• Options

Hardly noticed the wind on the last two miles when I went along that.  I remember thinking, 'Oh this is okay!'.  However, the last two miles were gruelling just because it was such a boring straight !

• Options

Agreed, Mewcenary...

I was preparing myself for a hard last straight as mentioned here, but didnt find it too bad. Expecting it to get worse I held too much 'something in reserve' back, and peaked to late. I could have kept going. Oh well - will know better for next time.

• Options

Well thats my 4th and final GSR - I just think I can't 'do' big events. I like to go to the bog say 10 mins before the start and be able to do a few strides before the start, which you just cannot do.

Just a total disaster, in the orange wave instead of fast paced runners (I was late trying to find a bog), so went off too quick trying to get back on pace. Legs hurt all the way round...and the last 2 miles....god that was painful.

Shame, as its flat as a pancacke image