Options

Great South Run 2012

Comments

• Options

WalkJogDave I think you should come and go gosport half?

David.M, there is a kids race at gosport, only £2 to enter with a great goody bad and medal!

I have entered next year already, £41! think I may make it my last one. I would like to try Alton 10 next year tooimage

• Options

Yeah have to agree the wind whilst still being there was much less a problem than last year, I thought it was just that I was more prepared for it but others seem to be saying the same.

• Options

I think the wind was kind to us yesterday, it can be horrendous along there........

ZoeWindsor, Alton 10 is a nice run - although certainly not flat!!!!

• Options

My first ever race (signed up as I have just started training for the London Marathon next year). I ran in 1hr 38mins, which i am delighted with as I didnt have great preparation.

I also clocked 10.15 miles. What an atmosphere - never thought I would enjoy running, but really keen on running again next year now image

• Options

Zoe - will probably do Romsey 5 mile. Maybe we'll finally meet there image... if you are, that is?

I am getting hints from work mates about the Brighton 1/2, but that appears to be something to do with the 'apres ski' potential.

• Options
    Brighton half is full Dave unless your able to get a charity place.
  • Options

WalkJogDave, I hope to do romsey, I dont mind the laps there either. I have put in for Stubbington 10k 20th January. Thats quite a nice course,

HarryDeJan, The GSR is the only 10 mile race I have ever done, I dont want to get into a comfortable zone, I think I need to go out there and do another 10 miler, I did look at the runners world reviews and everyone said if you were'nt going down a hill you were going up!

Whats everyone got planned next??

• Options

Nothing till the Reading Half in March for me, although I'm looking for a cheeky 10k soon to try and get me a PB on the back of the training I did for the GSR ...

• Options

Hmm I need to get myself signed up for something soon as well! Preferably in the South/London/Essex.

I've got Great Run to alert me when the GNR is available to sign up, but aside from that nout on my radar. I done a couple of those Regents Park Mornington Chasers 10k races earlier in the year and they were ok, but I'm not a huge fan of multiple laps. Don't mind two laps, but 3 or more just starts to get repetitivr and therein boring.

Re the waves in the GSR, what are the anticipated time brackets which determine which wave you're in? I'm sure I put down 1:30 and ended up in orange, or I may just be mistaken and put 1:20 down. Which would be a relief because I did it in just under that!

• Options
    Zoe Windsor wrote (see)

Whats everyone got planned next??

I've entered the Warwick Castle half in March and will probable look at Romsey 5m & winchester 10K in Jan & Feb as they are local, may even try and put in a couple of park run's as well although never tried them but hear they are good.

• Options

I hope to do

Stubbington 10k, Romsey 5 miler, I did Winchester in 2010 and enjoyed it. Exbury gardens in march and Victory 5 in september, and see what else I can do!

• Options
    Doug2Doug2 ✭✭✭
    Did Romsey 5 way back when but now I'm back in to this running thing, may give it another go. Stubbington 10k always looked good but seems to get filled almost immediately, and, of course, there's Eastleigh 10k too
  • Options

Exbury Gardens race number gets you into the gardens for free afterwards image

• Options

Just seen a wabbitt on Meridan tonight's highlights I wonder who that could be !!!

• Options

Hi Joe Barrett,

I'm doing the Twickenham 10k in December, look like a good race with only one lap. For something a little later try looking at Capital Runners they do a good 10k event in Richmond Park that's two laps.  

• Options

I've got a local 10km on Sunday and then a HM on 18th Nov plus a short off road race inbetween! I've entered the Brighton marathon for April next year, so from now on it's onwards and upwards for the mileage and hope my knee holds up - must remember to exercise those quads!image

• Options

Brighton marathon for me in Aprilimage Will be looking to do races running up to then but nothing planned as yet.  I've always enjoyed Stubbington 10k but now I've moved from Isle of Wight it's too far to goimage.  I'll have a look at the events section on here.

Nobody started a GSR 2013 thread yet!?imageimage

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Green Fairy - I thought that i'd pass the baton onto youimage

I'm scared to say what my next events are because its shortly followed by: are you crazy?

10th Nov: Foxy@40 marathon
    23rd Dec: 10km Brussels race
    5-6 Jan: Enigma winter double marathons
    end of Jan: Paris 30km trail race
    22nd Feb: Malta Marathon 
    16th March: Eco trail de Paris (50km)
    7th April: Paris marathon
    22nd April: Antwerp Marathon 

.... i'll stop here image 

• Options

I dont think I could afford to travel and do those races but it sounds great, the nearest I will get is if I go to see my dad in spain in torrevieja they have a half marathon in feb!

very jealous Emmyimage

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Clatters wrote (see)
    Are you crazy ??!?!
    See... I told you image
    Zoe Windsor wrote (see)

I dont think I could afford to travel and do those races but it sounds great, the nearest I will get is if I go to see my dad in spain in torrevieja they have a half marathon in feb!

very jealous Emmyimage

To be honest - because I live on the continent it's a lot easier and cheaper for me to get to places. Paris is 20EUR return on the train. I also use them as little weekends away instead of a 'real' holiday.
    I admit - Malta marathon is just a personal indulgence. Ever since I was told about the medal you get- I was determined to do it image
  • Options
    Lordshill 10m on Sunday followed by the Gosport half in a couple of weeks time for me.

Zoe, you must do the new forest 10' next July, one of the loveliest races of the year, flat, well organised, scenic and a few ponies on route, what's not to like... Has the potential to be a warm one, but given the great British summers, that's not a great risk.

If you fancy travel, the Ryde 10 in Feb could be for you,
  • Options

Wow Emmy that sounds great - I'm just hoping to do one marathon!!! My sister lives in Portugal so in March we visited her and I did a HM there, which was great (far too hot), but travel from anywhere here is expensive even Portsmouth involves air and train fares.....

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Jelley - I've gone a bit crazy I think....! You're in Jersey aren't you? (or is it Guernsey?). I'm "lucky" that being on the mainland - you can travel by car to pretty much anywhere.

The one big disappointment and down point for me yesterday was the traffic. 2hours just trying to get out of portsmouth was stupid... I think that's one of the reasons which is making me think against doing the GSR next year.

• Options
    Emmy -next year, nearer the time ask for local advice on parking, I'm from Portsmouth and live 10 miles outside the city now.

I parked within 1/2m of the start and was home 30 mins after leaving Southsea.
  • Options
    Doug2Doug2 ✭✭✭

1st ever Great South Run - Great day, great support and a great time too - 1.45.18 so just 18seconds off of target image

I know that everyone said about the last 2 miles being an absolute b*****d and now I know why image . Next year I'll know better !

• Options
    Doug2Doug2 ✭✭✭

Sorry guys - dont know how that re-post suddenly appeared image

• Options

Doug - never mind. I enjoyed seeing your Muttley alter ego again image

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/21/Muttley-picture.gif

• Options

Jellybaby - your sister lives in Portugal!?  I'm seriously thinking about going to live out there soon.  I'd be in or near Lisbon.  This evening I've even been looking up road races out there!imageimage There's the Lisbon half marathon three weeks before the Brighton marathon!  Maybe an ideal warm up race for Brightonimage

• Options

Race photos are up.

Are mine the only awful ones? Not impressed image